Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:47 pm 

hahaha make it a clock if it all fucks up.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:33 pm 

Well there's a few gaps, including a nice one right down the middle. I guess I could fill it with sawdust and superglue. Looking back I see a much easier way to do the entire thing, so if it turns out as shit I'll just scrap it and buy a new $10 board and start over. It's all a learning process and that's the fun thing. The shitty thing is my lack of tools, so it's going to take a lot more effort than it should. But oh well. Now I'm looking forward to tomorrow, when I cut out the body shape and route for the pickup and whatnot. Hopefully I don't fuck everything up. Probably will lol. Oh well. That's another thing I like about pine bodied guitars. if I ruin it, I'm only out 10 bucks and I can buy another "body" blank at Home Depot.

Just finished the music to another doom song, as well as a nice long droning kinda doomy song. Mostly as musical experimentation, just kinda held a low E chord for a long time, then an F, then an E, etc. But I dropped my low string down another step so I guess it was a G# then an A. Either way it's low. Awesomeness.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:38 pm 

Sounds like it'll be interesting. look forward to hearing it.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:02 pm 

I certainly hope it'll be so. If I weren't in the army and being randomly drug tested I'd just smoke some pot and see if I could zone out to the song. If yes, then it's probably got some good drone qualities.

Now I just need to figure out what to do over it vocally. Since it's bordering on a drone song, I figure I should keep the vocals kinda minimal, maybe something with a "haunting" quality. Maybe some low peter steele-esque mumbling. I'll probably mess with that tomorrow.

I'm up to 3 fully completed doom songs and 7 partially completed ones. Assuming I can finish most of those somewhat quickly I'll have a new album to throw out there. I'm hoping it'll be good enough that I can convince some doom label to put out some physical copies of it.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:15 pm 

Redid the guitars and drums to this one that I wrote a couple months ago. I like the droning aspect of the bass. I think the vocals might need to be a decibel louder or so though. Either way, another song done. You can also hear I've EQed my firefly amp a bit more, so it's less midrangey and much more "metal" sounding now.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/728 ... orever.mp3

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:22 pm 

2nd album is due to be released in October/November by Horror Pain Gore Death Productions! Stoked.

Even before that though, my band's beginning work on the next album, songs are more stripped down and midpaced compared to a lot of breakneck speedsters on the aforementioned 2nd album.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:18 am 

faster is better!

and hate to break it to you infinity... but more doom labels want a band that can play live than any other style specific label.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:37 am 

Yeah I know, not being able to play live pretty much ruins 99% of my chances with a label, even small ones. Such is the life of a solo musician.

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:38 pm 

Started a new band with some friends.
Deathlord - Raw agressive death metal

https://www.facebook.com/deathlordband

and one song from the upcoming tape:

http://youtu.be/kX2LLT_zFCo

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:10 pm 

Sounds very similar to Birds of Prey to me. But better, really think the higher register vocalist sounds goofy as fuck. like the guy who introed all the Resurrection tracks on their Embalmed Existence album... just something to laugh at.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:04 pm 

Down to one Coma Void song that still needs guitars and bass recorded, then it needs mixing. Then I've just gotta write lyrics and record vocals for three tracks, then do the final mix/mastering and it'll all be done. Lyrics should come quick since I already have the general themes for each of the tracks, but vocals might take a while depending on how much practice I need before I like how they sound.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:02 pm 

Played tourist around Annapolis today. Hard to believe it's in the same state as Baltimore. Baltimore is the biggest shithole city I think I've ever been in, while Annapolis is quite nice.

This morning I got a ton of progress done on my pine SG. The birdseye is really going to look nice. Now I just need to sand the outside edge, route the bevel, touch up the neck pocket, and route for the pickup. Oh, and I guess the control cavity. Kinda tempted to just wire the pickup straight to the output jack. Shit that reminds me, I need to buy a drill.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:21 pm 

get a Festool for a drill.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:51 am 

That would be nice, but I'll probably just go to walmart and get one for $20. With the small bits that I'll use it for it'll be sufficient, although honestly I would prefer to buy only made in USA stuff.

Got the body all cut out, beveled and rounded over, the neck pocket mostly done and I started sanding it and it started raining. And once I got myself cleaned up it stopped raining. Thanks Baltimore. Anyways, I was pretty much dead set on using a 25.5" scale neck on this guitar since it'll be for low tunings only, but I keep seeing Epiphone bolt on necks with the tuners still on for like $30 on ebay, and I'm pretty tempted to just get that. But I'll keep looking.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:27 am 

I would say get one of those for cheap and just use thicker guage strings to sustain the lower tuning.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:37 am 

I was about to pull the trigger on one until I remembered that they already have the bolt holes drilled. It's a pain in the ass drilling holes in the body so that they line up perfectly with pre-drilled neck holes. So I'm getting a chinese made one, 24 fret 25.5" scale, and still pretty cheap. Probably made by kids chained to machines. That way everything will line up nicely when I drill the holes. I think I may be able to get the body mostly finished today, with the exception of the electronics cavity. Then I'm going to try to work on some doom songs as well.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:30 pm 

Jammed with my friend, might drum in a traditional doom band. Been playing drums a lot more recently and I've been getting way better at them especially with fills. Also wrote more for my ambient/acoustic project. First song with an acoustic guitar, download here.

http://www.mediafire.com/?bfg71qjbznxgxwg

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:35 pm 

I'm kinda planning to look for someone to lay down some drum tracks for me in the nearish future, and I'm wondering exactly what I'd need to have prepared to send away? I'm assuming some scratch tracks to drum along to naturally, but exactly how should I prepare those?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:38 pm 

Just take the rough guitar track and put a click on top of it. Give that to the drummer to learn the song to, as well as to the engineer to put into his system for when the drummer goes in to track with him.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:19 pm 

depending on the drummer and how they are recording.. make sure you leave a four count be it from the guitar or from the click.

Came across a steal of a deal a 215 Kustom... I think Kustom III or IV series can't really find anything about it or any real picture of it, but it's that with a Peavey Mark III G. I spent about an hour and a half researching it. I guess I'll give this guy a call. I'm not as interested in the head but for both at the price he is asking is well worth it.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:30 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Just take the rough guitar track and put a click on top of it. Give that to the drummer to learn the song to, as well as to the engineer to put into his system for when the drummer goes in to track with him.

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
depending on the drummer and how they are recording.. make sure you leave a four count be it from the guitar or from the click.

Is that all? For some reason I had it in my head that it'd be a bit more complicated...

A bit of a personal question for SLK; I know you drum for a lot of projects, how do you feel about people who write the drum parts they need for you (via programming or whatever)? Do you prefer to just come up with all the parts yourself or does it not really matter either way?

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:49 pm 

I'd do a very simple drum track via programming as both a click track for myself and also an indicator of what type of beats you have in mind for the different parts of the song. A scratch track alongside that for the drummer to play along to. Simple as that.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:50 pm 

it really isn't that hard. haha Usually when I'm working with people i ask for a scratch with a four count and that's about it. as long as it's mp3 or wav.

And as far as your question. I really don't care. I'm happy to play to someone's ideas of what they want as long as I can 'decorate' it as I see fit with fills and accents and whatnot. And if someone doesn't have any idea of how they want things to sound I'm happy to come up with my own interpretation of how something should sound, though nowadays if there is nothing specific in mind I ask what they are envisioning the drumming to be long what lines. cause a couple of my earliest gigs to record for people they had vastly different ideas on how things should sound ingeneral, be it mine sounded far better or not.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:41 pm 

Found some old song ideas that I wrote months ago and fixed them up a bit, so now they're in my doom folder and will eventually become songs. This week is going to be busy for me, but I'm going to keep my eyes open for a nice 1X10 birdseye pine board at home depot.

Here's a picture of my pine SG after I had just roughly cut it out. This was before I beveled the edges and sanded it a bunch, but you can see how cool the birdseye pine looks.
Spoiler: show

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:10 pm 

looking good, I'm just not a fan of the birdseye pine. it looks diseased to me. But if you like it, that's all that matters.

I think I secured this shit I was looking at, guy is supposed to call me back, I figured he would've by now. :/

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:27 am 

If I may chime in on the "other people writing drums for you" thing, I much prefer to write the parts myself, but always welcome in suggestions from whoever is hiring me. The only deal breaker there'd ever be for me in that regard is if the drums were written prior and I wasn't allowed to put my own spin on it.

--

I'm rewriting lyrics for one of the Blasphegram songs. The song in question is now called "Presence in Perpetuation" and it's about an idea I heard once from a deeply religious acquaintance of mine that the hallucinations experienced during bouts of sleep paralysis are actually devils and demons that are always around us, yet we are of strong enough mind to not be aware of them unless our "mental guard is let down" during something like sleep paralysis. The recent discussion in the FFA about sleep paralysis and night terrors brought that back to me, and even though I don't believe in it I still think it's a cool idea for a song.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:20 am 

Well no one asked you! Haha.

Guy never called me back I'm assuming that deal is bust, no big deal.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:56 am 

I practise/record drums along to a midi file converted to wav, of an exported powertab file. I tab out the song in powertab and manually add a metronome to the tab as another instrument (also good for practising guitar to).

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:35 pm 

Took my first doom song that I wrote for the doom challenge here and completely redid it. Now it's lower, longer, and I used a nice sounding cello vsti instead of the shitty one that guitar pro has (which I used before). Also got rid of half the clean vocals in it and replaced them with death growls. And speaking of death growls, mine are getting better, so it requires less studio magic to make them sound acceptable. They're kinda chris barnsy in a way. I also have about 2 and a half minutes of a symphonic death/doom song written. I like where it's going right now, just really not sure how to finish it. Kinda out of my league, hopefully I don't fuck it up haha. Gotta think of some lyrics too.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:46 pm 

Just write about chewing glass.

just secured this:

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:10 pm 

Neat amp, almost looks like a cross between a bass amp and a PA head. Those bigass speakers are probably great for your low tuning, I imagine. I'm tempted to get an old 1960s AlNiCo 15" and build an isolation cab for it. Something about neat old amps just screams doom metal. Can't wait to get my Ampeg in a few days. Hopefully I don't blow a speaker with that thing. Let us know what that amp sounds like, if it sounds good post a clip or something.

I'm up to 4 completed doom songs, and another 2 that just need vocals and finishing touches. On top of about, about 8-9 halfway done ones and ideas. Looks like I might be able to do a full album soon. Ugh, gotta think of album art and whatnot. I hate that part.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:20 pm 

haha I know, And actually that Peavey is a guitar head, but like a lot of the older stuff from the 70's and early 80's is can be used for both because normally they took the exact same amp and added a gain channel and something like phaser or reverb to make it more marketable for guitar, it has so many inputs incase you want to split the signal to different shit. I wasn't even all that interested in the head

that Kustom cab is a 215 and would go nicely with my much older model Kustom 215 tucknroll cab. This one took me about an hour to research and what I found out it was the same company but after they were bought out in the late 70's. This model from my research is late 70's maybe early 80's.

I'm getting them both for 200, and delivered to my hotel here tmwr. can't really beat that. still not a great of a steal as last time I came up here and found a krankenstein 412 and an Ampeg SS140 in a pawn shop that I talked them down to 350 for the pair.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:27 pm 

Damn, good deals. I should be moving back out to California temporarily at roughly the end of the year, I'm going to have to keep my eyes open on the san fran craigslist. There'll probably be some steals on there.

In a couple years I'm hoping to be either buying a house or building one in Colorado Springs. I'm going to make sure I have a basement so I can crank up some amps. Isolation cabs are convenient but sometimes I do want to just mic one of my cabs and hear the roar.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:36 pm 

funny part is I've never used craigslist but if I did I probably would've came across even more deals, and be totally broke then. hahaha. I actually have more on 'watch' from various sites that I plan on getting, i'm just letting them roast on the background before I jump and steal them away for even cheaper. like for example I'm lookin at this Sunn 610, guy has had it up for well over a month now, dropped it from 400 to 335... mainly cause it's pick up only, but I have an account to with a shipping company to get that shit shipped to me cheap. That's how I scored my 2 Sunn 412L cabs. all I need on them is the fucking sunn badges. I'm thinking of getting some fucking stickers cause i'm seeing the badges go for fucking 30 bucks each and not even the ones specific to my fucking cabs.

Letting those beasts roar is the best way for me to record. I just can get more into it, fuck them isolation cabs.

maybe next year I can start on building my shed in my backyard. cause even with all the gear I bought this year and plan to buy, it hasn't even dipped into what it'll take for me to build an soundproof shed on a concret slab with electricity in it.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:46 pm 

Yeah I just have thin walls and neighbors, so for now the isolation cab is the way to go. I was pretty surprised at how much it attenuates the sound. Really quite a convenience for apartment/townhouse life. The downside is that I'm essentially limited to one speaker for everything. That's another reason I'd like to build one with an old 15 in it. Well, that and an excuse to build something else.

I'm thinking I'm going to try to set up specific rigs for specific music projects/genres. I don't want to overthink it too much, but it would be kinda nice to have like 4 specific seperate setups, so I can just grab one when I'm in the mood for a certain genre. If nothing else it's a perfect excuse to have like 5 amps. Hmm, I guess once I get the Ampeg I'll have 5. I do need a good black metal amp, is the Ampeg good for that or would it be better for something like raw doom?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:49 pm 

That ampeg can be dialed in to do practically anything. I've done black metal, raw doom, osdm, more modern slam/tech death, raw traditional grindcore, techincal grindcore, weirder death metal like Portal. And actually I didn't have to do anything to change the settings between each. I just changed guitars to get those sounds, so if You felt like dialing in tone more directly you have a vast array of goodness at your disposal.

Like if you went through and listened to all my shit on speed ritual records, all aside from a few things were recorded using an Ampeg SS150 on a Krank Krankenstein 412. The projects that don't is Yzordderrex and Draug. Well I guess Dragunov as well since I used an Ampeg SS140 on a Kustom 215

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:56 pm 

I do need a good amp for black metal. I just retracked my bm songs with my little marshall lead 12 combo, which does sound good but now that I think about it, an 80s marshall roar isn't quite the quintessential black metal tone. I think something solid state and less mid rangey would work better for that. Actually I even considered just sticking with VSTs for my black metal, because they tend to have such a sterile sound, but now I enjoy using real amps.

Just found an ambient/doom kinda song that I wrote months ago and it's not too bad. I'll probably redo the guitars and throw it on the doom album.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:03 pm 

yea you should and I say give that Orange a test on that doom, they are quite popular for that. and Actually considered getting some of their amps or one of their amps since I know a friend who works for the company and gets all that shit at deep discount.

you can totally dial in a more frost bitten tone on that Ampeg, you have to dial that bass back way way back to like 2. cause it has a huge fucking roar that shakes walls and shit when you crank it up. for me recording I do play at practically concert level, but I'm dialed to around 6.5-7 to record with. Anything more is really unecessary and actually pegs the fucking mic out basically.

and like you said you want specific rigs for specific sounds, I've been kinda doing that but now since I got so many other amps for options I'm going to be dedicated some more specifically for shit and with future projects as well. Like I have one that's in the works/talkings of to do some stuff like Bunkur with a drummer from Baton Rouge, we tried getting together last year and was able to do one jam and it was going to be a full band, now I think we are going to focus on it just being us and do more so as recording and possibly playing a show here and there. but that sound clip I did with the Randall RG300 and Fenderbassman and Big Muff Pi.. that's the tone and rig I'll use for that. and if I get that sunn 610 I'll throw that in as well, otherwise i'm going to use one of my Sunn Concert Leads with one of the Sunn 412L cabs. for a more original sounding tone mix.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:12 pm 

Sweet. I have my guitars mostly segregated, my SG once I finish it will be for doom and whenever I write some deathgrind in Bb, my warmoth flying V is tuned to D, so that's for black metal and old school death/thrash, my flying V that I built and my les paul are going to be for my OSR stuff and my stoner rock/metal stuff. I don't know how I'm going to do the amps. I'm pretty certain I'm going to use my Peavey VTM 60 for my old school death/thrash since it's just a JCM800 clone and perfect for that. Since I've already tracked all this doom with my firefly I'll finish with it, and after that I'll switch to using my orange dark terror for doom. The ampeg should work for black metal and I can use the firefly for stoner metal. Hmmmmm. Then I just have to find the right tone for my next OSR album.

Almost seems not right, using the same guitar for death thrash and for black metal. Like quilted maple tops aren't right for black metal. Flying V or not, I need a guitar with a ton of points, painted black to play black metal. I should find some cheap pointy thing from the 80s and paint it black and piss on it and bleed on it and use that for black metal. It'll be uber kvlt.

I haven't messed with pedals much at all, I was always kind of an anti pedal guy, but I do like my tubescreamer. How is the big muff? Always wanted to try one of those. I'm such a tube guy I'm not sure how much I'd like fuzz though. Who knows.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:32 pm 

Big muff Pi... the original green ones like this are the ones I'm talking about:

They go for around at the cheapest... 200 bucks on up to 350/400 depending on the shape of them. I have 2. I got one for 50 bucks back when no one gave a shit about them, and then got a second one for 175 cause it's still a steal at that.

outside of that big muff that I mainly use on my bass set up, I pull out a Boss HM2 for doing that total Swedish Buzzsaw tone, hell that's totally why I started Draug was to use it exclusively for that. just milk that tone, through the mixes and everything I've kinda nailed down on what it should sound like.

and why not get an old Jackson? they always pop up on ebay for cheap. I snagged a 2nd Kelly for 150 with the case. and with their stock pickups, even on the cheaper ones they sound great for black metal.

my guitars are a mix of based around tuning and how I know they perform under certain amps and what sort of playing sounds the best on them.

And that's part of the fun when doing a new project is finding just the right set up with all my new shit to get that sweet spot in tone. it took me around a week to get down what I wanted to use for the new Vomitwolves. and that's between using different guitars, setups, pedals. cause the first ep was done with an HM2 pedal ran over the distortion channel of an Ampeg SS140 with my busted one speaker cab using my Jackson Kelly. Now I'm going for something less brittle sounding but equally disgusting, so I'm keeping the same cab, that Crate G100 XL or whatever the fuck it is on it's stock distortion and my BC Rich Ironbird.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 185  Next