Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Marmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:51 pm 

androdion wrote:
Nah mate. I have a copy of the 2003 compilation Konqueror put out. It includes their split with Epitaph and the Mutilation Of The Past demo, plus two unreleased versions of tracks that ended in the album. It's just what I said, why not repress the whole compilation instead of just reissuing the album? It seems like a dumb call, you know?!

Because the band Finally had the rights for them sleeves. So now they found with konquerer the label to Finally re issue THE Total album.

So Thats THE reason THE album is re issued only. And Im happy bout it. Ordered 10.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:05 pm 

Marmer wrote:
androdion wrote:
Nah mate. I have a copy of the 2003 compilation Konqueror put out. It includes their split with Epitaph and the Mutilation Of The Past demo, plus two unreleased versions of tracks that ended in the album. It's just what I said, why not repress the whole compilation instead of just reissuing the album? It seems like a dumb call, you know?!

Because the band Finally had the rights for them sleeves. So now they found with konquerer the label to Finally re issue THE Total album.

So Thats THE reason THE album is re issued only. And Im happy bout it. Ordered 10.

So they managed to get a hold of the album's rights and now they can press it and make money out of it, is that what you're saying?! Makes sense if that's the cause. Those guys sure deserve some money, Passage Of Life rules!

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:19 pm 

The Lions Den wrote:
Yesterday on an ebay bid, the original 'Passage of life' cd on Thrash records go at 61 € plus shipping (circa 80 $).

I'll bet my ass that you were looking at a bootleg.

mantalord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:50 pm 

The Lions Den wrote:
Personally I prefer to have the original cover art then filler bonus tracks like demos or live recordings of poor quality.

That's all, however the news don't speak about details of the presence or not of bonus songs.

That's understandable, 'bambino,' but some demos are great. Excruciate's are noteworthy. And in this case the sound is acceptable as well. I have the 2 LP vinyl released by The Crypt and I was not disappointed. Naturally, I assume Konqueror Records use their best sound mastering techniques for the CD press.

I too would have liked a reissue of the compilation instead.

Marmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:39 pm 

Quote:
So they managed to get a hold of the album's rights and now they can press it and make money out of it, is that what you're saying?! Makes sense if that's the cause. Those guys sure deserve some money, Passage Of Life rules!

Indeed. Now they Finally earn their pièce they never had Through That shitty thrash label. That dude was a real punk.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:34 pm 

androdion wrote:
The Lions Den wrote:
Yesterday on an ebay bid, the original 'Passage of life' cd on Thrash records go at 61 € plus shipping (circa 80 $).

There are a lot of "original" copies of that album being sold on Ebay. Constantly. ;)

Helvede wrote:
The Lions Den wrote:

I'll bet my ass that you were looking at a bootleg.

Yeah, that's what I meant with "original". :lol:

Off-topic: No response to the PM Helvede?

Grief_Of_Adoration
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:15 am 

I have one REAL GEM & MEGA RARE Death Metal CD for Trading/Selling. Its "Excelsis - Beginning of the End" CD (EP 1995) in MINT & Unplayed Condition.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:40 pm 

Crypt of Kerberos isn't that underground, it's sole album was a rather unique and enthralling progressive technical death metal album but this song taken from the bands' first demo is a no hold barred quality death doom release.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:13 pm 

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind wrote:

Crypt of Kerberos isn't that underground, it's sole album was a rather unique and enthralling progressive technical death metal album but this song taken from the bands' first demo is a no hold barred quality death doom release.

Their demos are much interesting and more aggressive then the first album, IMHO

"You make it easy."

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:29 pm 

The Lions Den wrote:
Their demos are much interesting and more aggressive then the first album, IMHO

The album isn't very straightforward, it's rather one of a kind, but yes I agree with you, the demos are much more aggressive. I love both the tracks on the 'Cyclone Of Insanity' single as well.

Aaattaack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:37 pm 

French Burial Vault for me a perfect example of Death Metal, dark yet very crushing. Could have been a finnish band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvnUJ22s7NM

there are so many great demos out there!

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:10 am 

I havent had time to go through the whole thread just yet, but it is killer, and I havent seen anyone mention Obscurity though I could be wrong. Obscurity were a very early death metal band from Sweden that influenced a lot of second wave black metal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFHRVX2DNVA

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:24 am 

Any love for the brutal 'Blessed Sickness' ?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:22 am 

sweet some stuff that I haven't heard, and haven't been listed. I'll be checking Blessed Sickness and Burial Vault when I get to the hotel this evening.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:23 pm 

Oppressor - Solstice of Oppression (1994)
I only discovered this one recently. Probably already mentioned but worth mentioning again to promote it. This is technical and a bit into brutal territory. It has some 'noodling' but still focused so it isn't quite like the modern brutal technical death scene. This is quickly becoming one of my favorites.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq_Qkq9_SVo

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:34 pm 

I've always felt Oppressor was underrated as hell and was disbanded too early. Fucking shitty ass Soil....

Drowned
Tenebrous Apparition

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:26 am 

Feretrum - From Far Beyond

I posted about this album back on page 1 but at the time there were no samples available anywhere online. It is now finally being released on CD by Memento Mori and it sounds a lot better than the ancient tape dub I had. I'm excited that more people will have the opportunity to hear this forgotten gem.

http://www.memento-mori.es/release.php?id=48&type=1&p=1
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Feretrum/38659

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:37 am 

Vic records continues to work on some gems repress:

One of the best German DM releases EVER!
Release date: 4 November 2013
German death metal band TORCHURE was formed in 1985. After 3 demo tapes they released two albums on the German metal label 1MF Records. In 1992 they released one of the strongest German death metals albums ever: ‘Beyond The Veil’. After the release of their debut TORCHURE toured Europe to support Sepultura and Pestilence. The album was produced by S.L. Coe of Scanner / Angel Dust. TORCHURE did also a 40 date European tour together with Disharmonic Orchestra. The album comes with very special liner notes, rare pictures and 2 re-mastered never released bonus tracks. The CD has long been out of print (over 20 years) and is a much sought-after collector’s item.

Double album of cult Dutch Death metal!
Release date: 4 November 2013
One of the most unknown, yet one of the most important ‘nursery room’ bands for extreme Dutch death metal musicians: JUDGEMENT DAY. Judgement Day members joined / play in bands as Thanatos, Supreme Pain, Hail of Bullets, Grand Supreme Blood Court, Weapons to Hunt, Sinister and Houwitzer. To name a few... Formed in 1988 and released 3 demos, 3 e.ps and twe full lenght album and splitted up in 2005. This re-issue contains their much sought-after debut album ‘Circumcision of the Matyr’ and comes as a double CD containing the majorit of all their early songs. All songs are remastered by Frerik Groth (producer of The Story Teller, Bibleblack). Olivier Badin (writer for Terrorizer and Iron Fist) has interviewed Theo van Eekelen (Hail of Bullets, Grand Supreme Blood Court) for his view on the importance and influence of Judgement Day. The interview resulted in a six page story about Judgement Day. Also many old and rare pictures can be found in the extensive and newly designed booklet.

"You make it easy."

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:35 am 

Cryptic Tales' Anathema is cool Swedish death sounding stuff that's from Poland that reminds me quite a bit of Entombed. There's some odd acoustic guitar thrown in here and there though. :p

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:19 pm 

There's this Latvian death metal band (I shit you not!) I've been listening to, that sounds almost as if Wayd were jamming with Immolation while listening to Gorgut's Obscura. It's pretty bizarre but very very good! I could only find one song on YT but the album "is out there". ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-wnwOVSqW4

Coincidently Wayd is also pretty much gold for anyone into tech/jazzy experimental death. Both bands are from the turn of the century, but hey, more than ten years is "old" right?! :D

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:04 am 

Man, this thread's like three years too late for me, after going on an OSDM binge and having to snap up every single OSDM release worth the tiniest bit of relevance I'd yet to hear.

So, while I'd probably heard most of what's on this thread, the last two releases to delight me were the Moondark compilation and a sadly neglected little EP by Amorphis called Privilege of Evil that I had always cast to the side in favor of the debut. Stupid me, as 20 years later I'm finding it to contain some of the best and darkest death metal ever put to tape!!!

Eerie Inhabitant
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:51 pm 

122 Stab wounds only album. Bought it a long time ago in a second hand shop. Very dark Death/black metal with a menacing atmosphere. Chainsaw guitars and a very thick dirty sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aF-OoKvk88

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:12 pm 

Malicious Hate - In the Name of Hate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ycmuHfNXs

A completely overlooked piece of grinding US brutal death metal from 1996.

drinkreebs
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:15 pm 

Abhorrence - Vulgar Necrolatry

Abhorrence - Self titled EP (there's no proper sounding copy on youtube), get the compilation released on Svart records called Completely Vulgar.

Finnish death metal. sad they turned into Amorphis. It's like night and day comparing the quality between the two bands.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... KNkrHy8CLB
Excretion - Dream Of Blood 1992

Swedish death metal. Tears is one of the greatest unknown swedish death metal songs on the planet.

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:05 am 

Lucifer's Watching The Christians Burn is a storm of blasphemy loaded with great riffing in the vein of old Obituary and Deicide. Production is a bit muddied but that's part of its charm.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:53 pm 

SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
Not an old school death metal gem

Hey sleight, try reading the thread, at least the OP to understand this is not a thread about bands that sound old school. It's about actual old bands. from the mid 90's and earlier. a release in 2000 doesn't qualify in the least.

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:54 pm 

The vocals on that Lucifer album are certainly intresting, and some very cool riffs even though clearly heavily influenced by the Deicide (which I dont typically enjoy) early style. Thanks though.

Edit: I dont see any problem posting stuff that is in the 2000s as long as it isn't well known and in the OSDM style.

Last edited by Huldrelok on Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:08 pm 

Huldrelok wrote:
Edit: I dont see any problem posting stuff that is in the 2000s as long as it isn't well known or not in the OSDM style.

Then that defeats the entire purpose of having an 'old school death metal gems' esp if you go through the 15+ pages of albums directly from the era I was talking about. And reading the exact same thing railing people who posted albums even from 97 and 98.

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:19 pm 

Yeah, sorry typo meant to say as long as it isnt well known and in the OSDM style, I have no idea why a date would stop you from listening to that type of music... and from OP;

The_Krusher wrote:
OSDM had so many great bands who fell into obscurity. Post albums and eps that are old school gems. Please refrain from posting albums that most DM fans know of. Descriptions in posts please.

Old School Death Metal is a musical styling to a lot of people...

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:57 pm 

I didn't say I wouldn't listen to it. I'm saying that it's in the wrong thread cause there is literally another thread that is post- 97 obscure death metal gems. I'm saying both him and you are wrong in promoting it in this thread when that isn't the intention of this thread cause neither of you actually read this thread. literally 20 pages of actual old death metal with a few misteps like what happened there and then they getting called on it.... if you read that or understood my last post you would grasp what I was saying.

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:44 am 

Haha, you really are king asshole, they are misteps in your eyes but good music is good music to me.

Edit: Does anyone know when the Cancer reissues are coming out? Would love to get my hands on a copy of Sins of Mankind

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:56 am 

Huldrelok wrote:
but good music is good music to me.

I think you may have missed the point. There is also a recommendation thread which is more general if people wish to give props to a release. If everyone started listing albums that don't fit the criteria then the purpose of this thread would be lost. I like to use this thread as a reference specifically for oldschool death metal and I know others do as well. Let's not clutter it up with albums that don't fit the mold. While 2000 isn't that bad by that time oldschool death metal was long gone (1995 or 1996 and some would argue even earlier) is about the cut off point.

I have heard Lucifer and couldn't get into it. The drums was just too much blasting and modern sounding with clicky triggers, and that is something not found in the early 90s death metal scene.

DreamOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:55 am 

I feel that this gem from 1988 was really ahead of it's time:
9-minute death metal songs played at incredible speeds with lots of riff and rhythm variations.
Blood Spill - Playground of Death

Vamos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:12 am 

Perhaps a new thread should be started titled something like 'New Oldschool Death Metal Gems"? To post OSDM type stuff that was released after the date that this thread specifies?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:48 am 

Vamos there is one, I'll do asearch to bring it up.

Dream, great find. never heard this band!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:52 am 

Here you go Vamos, Sleigh, and [missing the fucking point] Huldrelok

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87429&hilit=death+metal+gems

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:54 am 

Vamos wrote:
Perhaps a new thread should be started titled something like 'New Oldschool Death Metal Gems"? To post OSDM type stuff that was released after the date that this thread specifies?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87429

*edit* ninja'd

Vamos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:39 am 

Ah, cool. Thanks for the link ShaolinLambKiller (and joppek)! Another good source with some new DM bands to look into! Woot :)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:41 am 

You are welcome. hopefully the other guy missing the point I've been beating into his head will get a hint as well and understand now. I'm not called King Asshole because it's funny, it's just the god honest truth. I'm the one who suggested it.

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:15 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
You are welcome. hopefully the other guy missing the point I've been beating into his head will get a hint as well and understand now. I'm not called King Asshole because it's funny, it's just the god honest truth. I'm the one who suggested it.

Fits you perfectly don't worry about it you nailed it right on the head, honostly I think these posts of bickering are way more wasteful of space, rather than an album that came out a few years after the date set by god as the seperation of old school and "new" old school death metal. But shit, everyone's gotta be right on the internet.
edit: thought of a new one for you "King Asshole, Lord of Minimodding".

Thanks for the link anyway.

I know it's been mentioned but it still isn't that highly regarded Xenomorph's Empyreal Regimes. Is a great album overall to listen to there is some variety within the album itself which allways has me coming back for a full listen.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next