* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:59 am 

joppek wrote:
dreadmeat wrote:
that classical piece in the middle [Chamdo?] was really good too, and I mean Night on Bald Mountain / The Firebird good

reminds me a lot of shostakovich
I must get some Shostakovich, the last time I looked in the shop it was dear as, even secondhand.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:38 am 

AppleQueso wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
You can replace a case for less than $1. As long as the CD and artwork is not damaged, it's all good. :) Hopefully mine arrives this week, then!

That's a digipak though. Replacing digipak trays is a lot more complicated...

Oh, I didn't realise it was a digipack. Yeah, that sucks a lot.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:10 am 

That Battle Of Chamdo track is so cool, I'd be keen to buy some of Luc's classical stuff if there is any?
Turn this one up to eleven

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:20 am 

It is seriously cool. It's been amusing me greatly as well. I've been listening to this album in the car, and for some reason The Battle of Chamdo track always plays whenever I'm having the the most mundane conversations. Talking about paying bills? That track plays. Talking about going to Ikea on the weekend? That track plays. My everyday life has become exceedingly dramatic.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:59 pm 

That's the power of Chamdo :bow:
I'd love to hear it on vinyl at some point

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:56 pm 

Is there a non-Itunes digital download available for the new album and Obscura?

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:11 pm 

CloggedUrethra wrote:
Is there a non-Itunes digital download available for the new album and Obscura?

No idea about the quality of these rips but Amazon and Google play have Colored Sands. No luck on Obscura.

http://www.amazon.com/Colored-Sands/dp/B00E6RDBTU/

https://play.google.com/store/music/alb ... n4kryidgje

I should add that I have no idea what the hell Google Play is. Download? Streaming? Your guess is as good as mine.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:15 am 

i think it works the same as itunes. I know of like one person who uses it and likes it better than itunes.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:09 pm 

Thanks for the links, though the Google one isn't available in my country (and last time I tried buying an mp3 album from amazon.com, it also wasn't available in my country).

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:21 am 

They sell CDs and Records at Season Of Mist

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:52 am 

So, I've decided to succumb to the hype and finally listen to this thing, and I have to say..... It's not bad. Oh sure, it's a fucking dense album, but not in the atrocious, inscrutable way Obscura is. It's a grinding, mechanical, towering thing, and it has a weird charm (plus, like said before, The Battle of Chamdo rules). My complaints mostly have to do with how bloody long the album is. Now, usually, long albums aren't something I have a problem with, but CS is a draining listen, and considering how lengthy it is, it's hard to listen to it in its entirety in one sitting. It's got more pros than cons, surely, but there're still cons.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:41 pm 

I feel a lengthy Gorguts album is different from other similarly long albums. I get your distaste about the length of the record but if it was any shorter, Luc & co wouldn't have been able to capture the vastness of the epic music well enough. Also, the arrangements would've been messed up and in short, the album would've sucked. It gets better with subsequent listens is all I can say.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:46 pm 

What bothers me is not the length itself, Vince. It's just that, when it comes to music as harsh as Colored Sands, I tend to prefer shorter, more concise songs. You can chalk it up to me not being used to this kind of stuff, though.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:57 pm 

What I would have liked is Chamdo at the end of the album, it ends a bit suddenly.
I haven't looked yet but how long is the album?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:06 pm 

I think Chamdo would've worked better as an opener actually. It's just got this vibe to it that makes me excited to hear what's next and yet it's just a beautiful piece that could stand all on its own. Either way I'm super happy they put it on and I think it's actually my favorite track.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:18 pm 

I think Chamdo fits perfectly in the middle of the album. It serves as a breathing pause. An awesome breathing pause that will probably turn out to be one of my favorite tracks of this year.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:26 pm 

If this is the sort of classical stuff Luc churns out we must find some more!
When I’m not busy I'll do some searching :nods:

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:32 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
I think Chamdo fits perfectly in the middle of the album. It serves as a breathing pause.

Yeah, this. It's a nice little oasis before you get back to the crushing insanity.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:47 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:

Yeah, it's certainly interesting. No idea whether any of his music is available or how much he's done, but I remember a really old interview with Nile's Karl Sanders where he explained that Luc basically sat him down and taught him how to compose, which I thought was kind of neat, even though I"m not a Nile fan.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:01 pm 

According to this very site, CS is over an hour long -- 1:02:49, to be precise. Kinda surprising to me, as I'd not been noticing track times (ordered my CD late, still listening to it on a USB stick in the stereo). That's saying a lot; I easily tire of intricate death metal that just goes on and on and on.

Earlier I said I wasn't sure this could be called "album of the decade." Now however I'm leaning toward "best post-2000." Just one album is giving me that same sense of witnessing history akin to mid-80's thrash, late 80's death, and mid-90's Scandinavian black. The only other album I can link to Colored Sands, however, is Celtic Frost's Monotheist, in that it was a heavier, darker, doomier, hellspawned comeback not really fitting neatly into any genre. As androdion said earlier, in so many words, Colored Sands is demonstrating that most of the bands trying to incorporate bits of Gorguts' sound into their own have been missing the bigger picture. They either went too clinical and technical, like Neuraxis, Obscura, Augury, etc., or went off the deep end into chaotic primordial ooze, like Portal and Mitochondrion. Obviously those other bands have merit -- a couple of them I even consider among my favorites -- but Lemay seems to have popped back up to show everyone just how far you can go into death metal extremity without relying on speed, while still having songwriting clarity and classical orchestration.

For albums that utilize death metal to achieve something transcendent of the genre, for me it now goes Altars of Madness --> None So Vile --> Colored Sands, each one the best of its era at doing what it set out to do.

Now that I think even more about it, maybe Colored Sands does what Blessed Are the Sick tried to do: marry death metal and classical. (I'm not even referring only Battle of Chamdo when I say that; as I said before, this whole album sounds like a death metal orchestra.)

Last edited by DeathfareDevil on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:02 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:
Yeah, it's certainly interesting. No idea whether any of his music is available or how much he's done, but I remember a really old interview with Nile's Karl Sanders where he explained that Luc basically sat him down and taught him how to compose, which I thought was kind of neat, even though I'm not a Nile fan.
Do you like his solo stuff though? it's like all the bits in Nile that aren't full on DM and pretty cool in its own right.
I didn't know that either [about Luc and Karl]

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:18 pm 

Wow, that is really cool. I hadn't even though of Karl Sanders tbh but his solo work is pretty interesting. Winter at the end of Celtic Frost's Monotheist is another example, and really the only other example of something like this that I'm aware of. I'm really hoping that more people take on this skill and try recording orchestras and writing "metal classical" music. It can't be cheap though can it? I mean fist of all you have to have perfect notation if you write it yourself, then hire some professionals to play it. I wonder how accessible it is to the average metalhead, or any contemporary recording artist to have classical music put on their album.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:45 pm 

In a Metal Maniacs interview from April 2001, Lemay said he was then working on his master's and had written a "full concerto for orchestra with riffs from Erosion of Sanity there, actually. I did a live performance for that." Oh how I wish youtube had existed then. I assume he used student orchestras from his conservatory, or wherever he was studying music. Obviously this wouldn't apply to just any band wanting to hijack a symphony orchestra for their metal, though.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:56 pm 

DeathfareDevil wrote:
According to this very site, CS is over an hour long -- 1:02:49, to be precise. Kinda surprising to me, as I'd not been noticing track times (ordered my CD late, still listening to it on a USB stick in the stereo). That's saying a lot; I easily tire of intricate death metal that just goes on and on and on.

Earlier I said I wasn't sure this could be called "album of the decade." Now however I'm leaning toward "best post-2000." Just one album is giving me that same sense of witnessing history akin to mid-80's thrash, late 80's death, and mid-90's Scandinavian black. The only other album I can link to Colored Sands, however, is Celtic Frost's Monotheist, in that it was a heavier, darker, doomier, hellspawned comeback not really fitting neatly into any genre. As androdion said earlier, in so many words, Colored Sands is demonstrating that most of the bands trying to incorporate bits of Gorguts' sound into their own have been missing the bigger picture. They either went too clinical and technical, like Neuraxis, Obscura, Augury, etc., or went off the deep end into chaotic primordial ooze, like Portal and Mitochondrion. Obviously those other bands have merit -- a couple of them I even consider among my favorites -- but Lemay seems to have popped back up to show everyone just how far you can go into death metal extremity without relying on speed, while still having songwriting clarity and classical orchestration.

For albums that utilize death metal to achieve something transcendent of the genre, for me it now goes Altars of Madness --> None So Vile --> Colored Sands, each one the best of its era at doing what it set out to do.

Now that I think even more about it, maybe Colored Sands does what Blessed Are the Sick tried to do: marry death metal and classical. (I'm not even referring only Battle of Chamdo when I say that; as I said before, this whole album sounds like a death metal orchestra.)

Thanks for the nod mate. And I completely agree with what you said there, really spot on. ;)

Mike_235
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:41 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
What I would have liked is Chamdo at the end of the album, it ends a bit suddenly.

I like it being in the middle of the album, it serves as a kind of "intermission" and the calm before the storm that is the second half of the album. I think it's awesome how the fading at the end of Chamdo suddenly gives way to the furious rhythm of The Enemies of Compassion, it just adds to the power of the song in my opinion.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:28 pm 

Mike_235 wrote:
dreadmeat wrote:

I like it being in the middle of the album, it serves as a kind of "intermission" and the calm before the storm that is the second half of the album. I think it's awesome how the fading at the end of Chamdo suddenly gives way to the furious rhythm of The Enemies of Compassion, it just adds to the power of the song in my opinion.

I agree, the piece fits perfectly in the middle between the two rhythmically monstrous songs on either side of it. If it were at the beginning or the end of the album, it would just feel like a metal album with an extra classical song thrown in. But the fading out of Colored Sands into this song is chilling, and then getting blown away right after that with the riff in Enemies of Compassion really takes the cake.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:42 am 

joppek wrote:
dreadmeat wrote:
that classical piece in the middle [Chamdo?] was really good too, and I mean Night on Bald Mountain / The Firebird good

reminds me a lot of shostakovich
One of Luc's major classical influences: http://www.radio-canada.ca/radio2/class ... /150.shtml

Hymnofwolves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:28 am 

It looks that I stand alone on this one, but so far the album doesn't click with me (yet). I am a big fan of the first three records and consider Obscura one of my all time favorites. I actually really like some tracks (a.o. Reduced to Silence, Forgotten Arrows, Battle of Chamdo) but for me the tone of the other tracks isn't doing it for me. It feels like the lead guitar melody is missing heaviness. This creates a sort of jumpiness of the riffs in a lot of sections without it sounding like death metal anymore (the missing heaviness for me). A prime example would be a certain section of Enemies of Compasion (33 sec. in). Other sections are killer though and I don't mind it at all when they are going for more atmospheric playing.
Hopefully my opinion will change since there are many great compositions and the musicianship is stellar.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:29 am 

Hymnofwolves wrote:
I am a big fan of the first three records
No love for FWTH?! :scratch:

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:15 pm 

Just listened to Colored Sands for the first time, while sporting the shirt. :) Initial thoughts are that it needs more listens. There's a bit going on and it's hard to digest it all at once. It didn't grab me as much as I was hoping it would, but that should change in time.

The 62 minute running time seemed a little daunting at the beginning, but it went by pretty well, so it shows that Colored Sands is not padded out.

"The Battle of Chamdo" is pretty cool - something unexpected. I would've liked the final track to be instrumental, like their last two albums, but it was not to be.

EDIT: Also, I originally thought this album would be "Gorguts guitars with Origin drums," but that is definitely not the case. While it's certainly Longstreth's playing style, he's more three-dimensional here than in Origin (although his work in that band is exactly what they need there), so that's nice that he's incorporating slower, calmer sections while also doing his trademark blasting. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:23 pm 

I need a worthy event to wear the shirt too ha ha ha :lol:

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:26 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:

What's more worthy than the everyday wear? I've worn mine to Wintersun, the flea market, bowling, the first day of class... need I go on?

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:31 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:

Wear it everywhere, man. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:45 pm 

I'm still waiting on my damn stuff.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:49 pm 

It's Winter here in New Zealand by the way dudes :roll:

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:09 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
It's Winter here in New Zealand by the way dudes :roll:

I keep forgetting that your winters are colder than ours, haha.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:25 pm 

Dude our Winters suck, it's so humid here too in Auckland.

And apparently now we can stream the whole album, legally, for free.
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/gorguts-entire-colored-sands-album-available-for-streaming

Malfsyde
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:34 am 

I love Gorguts but I was really worried about this album for a while. There are so many ways this album could have failed. I was never a fan of the previous bands of the new members, this album was in development hell for quite a while, and so much time has passed since the last album that this could easily have turned out a lukewarm rehash of old ideas or lame attempt at trying to stay valid in a fickle genre.

But no this album slays, so fuck that shit. My only preference would be to make Absconders the closer.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:54 pm 

God, I'm dying over here waiting for this album to reach my house. I've stopped myself from listening to the leak or "Forgotten Arrows" (again) for weeks.

wEEman33
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:35 pm 

Colored Sands finally arrived in the mail today.

It's a great performance, though the Dysrhythmia/Behold the Arctopus influences do come off a bit strong at times. The songs structures are much more flowing and less repetitive than the other Gorguts albums.

This blows away the turd that was Negativa and the mediocre From Wisdom to Hate.

Give these guys your money. They deserve it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next