Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:20 pm 

A pretty good take on most of the metal genres I can name. Which is your favorite? Which genres would you add/replace? And most important of all, which letter was funniest? :D

And obviously, this is a parody and tongue in cheek, so let's try not to get offended shall we?

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:29 pm 

The ones that he BSed for the sake of doing the whole alphabet are the best.

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:17 pm 

I really like how the guy take the most stereotypes of metal movement and mixed 'em in one song, it's really a great thing! Made me laugh loud especially from F to L, I mean, Finnish Folk Metal, Hardcore Punk (though it's not a genre of metal), Grindcore and onward :D Power, Thrash and Viking are also sooo representing the true spirit of metal cliches!

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:17 pm 

Jesus Metal - That's been done way better already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbZ-1xz_Bu8

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:20 pm 

I know it's supposed to be funny, but it just felt more cringe-worthy than anything.

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:08 pm 

aeternus1990 wrote:
I really like how the guy take the most stereotypes of metal movement and mixed 'em in one song, it's really a great thing! Made me laugh loud especially from F to L, I mean, Finnish Folk Metal, Hardcore Punk (though it's not a genre of metal), Grindcore and onward :D Power, Thrash and Viking are also sooo representing the true spirit of metal cliches!

Yeah, I think Finnish folk metal was where I really started to chuckle, too. The guy's facial expressions there are priceless. Industrial, Power and Viking were some of my other favorites, probably because I rather like those genres so the stereotypes were especially funny to me.

This guy has some diverse abilities, to do vocals and guitar in all those different styles. Although, I suspected he might be faking the guitar in the Neoclassical and Power ones. But I don't play guitar so I can't tell for sure.

Numerator_41 wrote:
I know it's supposed to be funny, but it just felt more cringe-worthy than anything.

I had to cringe a bit at the Rap metal one, but that also made it funny, in a way. It was so bad it was ridiculous.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:22 pm 

That was actually pretty funny. Grindcore was the best.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:23 pm 

Finnish folk metal is just polka metal. :p

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:25 pm 

The part I find funniest is that the transition between death metal and electro metal was one of, if not the smoothest transition in the video.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:08 pm 

Unblack metal was the funniest, because that is funny in and of itself.
Woman metal was very accurate too, although it's more like the whole "female rock"-genre.
Well done idea wise and execution.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:35 pm 

I had no idea what the hell he was going on about in Alternative Metal, but I enjoyed the rest. I got quite a chuckle at "Quiet Metal".

ravagingthemassacred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:16 pm 

grindcore and unblack, hahaha! and power metal was perfect.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:27 am 

Numerator_41 wrote:

I felt these feels.

And I always feel bad when doom gets left out.

katatonia47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:36 am 

Yiddish Metal was my favourite. A Metal take on Hava Nagila was not expected.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:07 am 

Hmm..... no sludge metal. :thumbsdown: Cool video though. The guy seems to be talented and the lyrics are pretty funny at times. Grind has to be my favorite.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:21 am 

I thought quiet metal was funny. Too bad no doom metal.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:32 am 

Woman metal was simply taken from a Girlschool song. Are they all covers?

xThe__Wizard wrote:
Too bad no doom metal.

And leave out death metal?
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:51 pm 

I thought several of them sounded familiar, but I couldn't quite place them. Power metal sounds like it could be a Stratovarius song? Symphonic metal sounds like a Nightwish song? But then again, those are kind of standard bands for those genres so it could be he's just trying to sound like them.

I wish I could understand the lyrics more and/or they were written out somewhere, cause yeah, they are pretty funny. "Industrial, from Germany..." "Jesus will save your soul.."

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:02 pm 

Jesus Metal should've been some uber cheesy over the top neoclassical symphonic power metal from somewhere in South America, or some type of Christian metalcore. Or a doom metal band. Honestly now, lets get our stereotypes correct.

And then, I think there was some hand movements being missed. 90% of your genre definition is based on how your vocalist moves his hands and holds is mike.

Hahaha, Yiddish metal.

Hatman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:44 am 

talvikki77 wrote:
Which letter was funniest?

I thought it had to be K.
Then came Q, U, Y, and Z.
My first assumption was way off.

MorbidBlood wrote:
It's just too brutal for the normal listeners.

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:47 pm 

Doomed Cowboy wrote:
And then, I think there was some hand movements being missed. 90% of your genre definition is based on how your vocalist moves his hands and holds is mike.

That, or band hairstyles XD I know I'm in trouble if no one in a band photo has really long hair. ...I'm only half joking, too :P

This guy's haircut says alt rock, actually :/ Although, it is similar to the look of Arsis's frontman, so perhaps he just made an unfortunate fashion choice :P

crises79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:09 pm 

katatonia47 wrote:
Yiddish Metal was my favourite. A Metal take on Hava Nagila was not expected.

Actually... There is this band called Gevolt, who sing in Jiddisch. They at least did some old classics like Tumbalalaika and others. It would not surprise me if they have their own take on Hava Nagila too.
I think they are worth the trouble to listen to (although it's pretty close to industrial metal). I had the pleasure of seeing them live once and it was indeed a pleasure not a pain.

Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:43 pm 

the funniest part was imagining him and his fat girlfriend fucking after their weekley Friday night at Red Lobster, they're both burping greasy food into each others mouths and their bellies are making floppy smacking sounds.

He sounds like he could pull off being a rhythm guitar and vocals for a thrash band however.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:53 pm 

Varth wrote:
the funniest part was imagining him and his fat girlfriend fucking after their weekley Friday night at Red Lobster, they're both burping greasy food into each others mouths and their bellies are making floppy smacking sounds.

He sounds like he could pull off being a rhythm guitar and vocals for a thrash band however.

...why?

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:04 pm 

Because that image and thought popped into my head while watching the video and it was the only laugh elicited from my person during the viewing duration of said video, sir.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:50 pm 

You're a moron.

I thought it was going to be lame but actually was pretty funny in parts.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:18 am 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
Varth wrote:

...why?

Because making fun of people for something they may have little to no control over is very original and hilarious and takes an enormous amount of effort and wit. You should be thankful he even took the time out of his very busy internet forum browsing to momentarily grace you with his genius.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Reply to topic