Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
skwid79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:54 pm 

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Skeletonwitch post a photo of their new album art on their facebook today, even happier to see it was on cassette for a Pre-order. It will be out on October 29th for the US and October 28th in Europe. The cassette is limited to 250 copies so act fast if you want one.
The pre-order is advertised on their website homepage. http://www.skeletonwitch.com/

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:02 pm 

I'm sure it'll be good, but for the most part, I can't stand John Baizley's artwork! I think Beyond the Permafrost is the only one I actually like, but the Kvelertak and Darkest Hour artwork that he's done blows.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:16 pm 

If the whole record is as good as the preview track, then Skeletonwitch will have basically maintained their position as one of the finest bands of the last ten years for at least the fourth album in a row.

Consider me excited.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:34 pm 

Very nice, I'm digging those melodies. I already wore my Skeletonwitch shirt, though :/
might go & wash it

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:04 pm 

Looks like the new album is streaming on Pitchfork of all places: http://pitchfork.com/advance/263-serpents-unleashed/

I don't know how I'd compare this one to the albums before it but I am enjoying it a fair amount. Kinda starts out rather same-ish but seems to get better as it goes along.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:01 am 

Not liking it so much. I think they'll never top Permafrost.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:01 am 

Not liking it so much. I think they'll never top Permafrost.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:28 am 

there's something fucked up with the sound at least for me (with chrome) - some weird stuff going on in the mid-hi area; particularly the cymbals :(

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:34 am 

Skeletonwitch don't deserve to be considered a black/thrash band. I think they're a disgrace and I wish they weren't from my home state. Fuck 'em. Won't ever listen to them by choice.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:50 am 

I never could get into Beyond the Permafrost or Breathing the Fire, but their last two albums have been right up my alley. It's fast (almost all the songs are under or just at 3 minutes), catchy, and a hefty dose of thrash as well. This is one of the few albums that I've actually been impressed with this year. I do have to agree that the artwork looks like it was cut and pasted from a Kvelertak album, not like it makes the music sound less great though.

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:04 am 

Nice, will have to dig into this one later on but I'll try to get to it sometime soon.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:49 pm 

Breathing Fire is my personal favorite. However all of their albums don't really change much quality wise. It's usually more of the same and the same is always quality metal. I love the production job. I think it suites their sound perfectly.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:01 pm 

THEMICRULAH wrote:
Skeletonwitch don't deserve to be considered a black/thrash band. I think they're a disgrace and I wish they weren't from my home state. Fuck 'em. Won't ever listen to them by choice.

Uh, may I ask what's so wrong with them?

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:44 pm 

It's weird but I just think this band is really a mickey mouse kind of band. Inoffensively safe, not terrible but doesn't stand out in anyway. They've managed to get some high visibility without doing anything spectacular or particularly original. I do own one album and it's enjoyable like fast food, good while you eat it but left unsatisfied in the end.

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:51 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
It's weird but I just think this band is really a mickey mouse kind of band. Inoffensively safe, not terrible but doesn't stand out in anyway. They've managed to get some high visibility without doing anything spectacular or particularly original. I do own one album and it's enjoyable like fast food, good while you eat it but left unsatisfied in the end.

They have some high visibility because not only are they a high quality band, they tour a shit load and put on great live performances. At least where I live (Balt-D.C. Metro Area), they've stopped by at least 3 times a year for the last 2-3 years. They're talented musicians, and they're hard workers. I am not a huge fan of Skeletonwitch, but I still find them highly enjoyable to listen to on occasion, and I think they really hit full stride with their newest album. Just because you don't like them does not mean that they aren't a "spectacular or particularly original" band. You just think that.

Implar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:33 pm 

I'm quite a big fan of Skeletonwitch, love Permafrost! I've listened to Serpents Unleashed yesterday and it's right in line with their previous releases, which is fine by me!

I wish they would tour a bit more in Europe though, only seen them once (Graspop 2012) :(

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:23 pm 

Implar wrote:
I'm quite a big fan of Skeletonwitch, love Permafrost! I've listened to Serpents Unleashed yesterday and it's right in line with their previous releases, which is fine by me!

I wish they would tour a bit more in Europe though, only seen them once (Graspop 2012) :(

Depends where you are, but they're touring with Overkill next spring - I cannot wait, and I'm not sure which band is making me more excited.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:48 pm 

XcKyle93 wrote:
They have some high visibility because not only are they a high quality band, they tour a shit load and put on great live performances. At least where I live (Balt-D.C. Metro Area), they've stopped by at least 3 times a year for the last 2-3 years. They're talented musicians, and they're hard workers. I am not a huge fan of Skeletonwitch, but I still find them highly enjoyable to listen to on occasion, and I think they really hit full stride with their newest album. Just because you don't like them does not mean that they aren't a "spectacular or particularly original" band. You just think that.

Of course I think that, that's why I said it as it's my opinion and I don't recall speaking for anyone else. I've heard material from all their albums and as I said I do own one of them. I'd love to hear what makes their sound original because what I hear is middle ground black thrash done in a very safe manner. What makes this band stand out to you on record? Talented musicians do not necessarily make great music (that makes sense right?) And like I said, they are enjoyable but in the end not particularly satisfying. I'd rather listen to Desaster or Aura Noir or any Aussie blackthrash band before I pull out a Skeletonwitch album.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:13 pm 

I think trying to frame Skeletonwitch in terms of black-thrash is probably a fundamentally weird way to go about listening to them, but to each their own. I don't really put them in that category, they're more just an amalgam of thrash, black-thrash, traditional-metal and god only knows what else, which, to me, seems to be a very innovative combination, especially the way they create it. Their sound is thick, complex and really seeps through well.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:32 pm 

XcKyle93 wrote:
I'm sure it'll be good, but for the most part, I can't stand John Baizley's artwork! I think Beyond the Permafrost is the only one I actually like, but the Kvelertak and Darkest Hour artwork that he's done blows.

Personally, I like his artwork because it basically acts as a big disclaimer for the content within. "Don't listen to this", it says. "It's total shit!" it says.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:53 pm 

THEMICRULAH wrote:

This post is so stupid that I think the part of my brain responsible for asshole remarks has short-circuited.

Obligatory Last FM Link

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:04 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
I think trying to frame Skeletonwitch in terms of black-thrash is probably a fundamentally weird way to go about listening to them, but to each their own. I don't really put them in that category, they're more just an amalgam of thrash, black-thrash, traditional-metal and god only knows what else, which, to me, seems to be a very innovative combination, especially the way they create it. Their sound is thick, complex and really seeps through well.

Well I imagine some albums might have different ratios of black metal, thrash and what not but I really just don't hear anything innovative in it (not that it has to be). It's not that what they do is not done well it's just that I don't find the songs sticking with me after I listen to the album. Even what they sound like fades extremely quick for me.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:16 am 

Full thing is up on their bandcamp: http://skeletonwitch.bandcamp.com/releases

While not bad by any means I just can't really get into it... probably has more to do with my personal preferences these days than the quality of their work declining. I still maintain that Beyond the Permafrost is a masterwork. A fantastic blend of riffs, speed, melody, and perfectly capturing the 'cold' atmosphere of the album name/cover art... but I haven't enjoyed much they've done after that. I thought I would enjoy Breathing the Fire since I'm a big proponent of shorter songs and just going for the throat but I just don't think that's their strong suit and everything after that has seemed to get more generic, they should have stuck with the aesthetic of BtP imo.

And I'll echo the sentiment on the cover art. I like Baizley just fine, and he's done some killer work (Beyond the Permafrost, Vitamin X, etc.) but man, this style and the stuff he's done lately really all just blends together.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:03 pm 

They put on a great live show and they're all hella nice dudes, met them all on Halloween and the drummer was dressed up as King Diamond. Anyways I find all the albums solid and they have definitely found they're niche.

Last.fm

Mojo Bundy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:23 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Full thing is up on their bandcamp: http://skeletonwitch.bandcamp.com/releases

Thanks for the link...I was trying to listen to it again the other day and couldn't find it after it came down from pitchfork. Hard to place in their discography after just two listens now, but inclined to say it's about as good as BTF, not as good as the first half of FA, better than the second half of FA, with BTP being their best still. Nonetheless, there's really nothing from these guys I DON'T enjoy. Really dig some of the more atmospheric songs like Unending, Everliving and This Evil Embrace.

REALLY hate that I missed that headlining tour they did about a year ago, as I STILL haven't caught them live yet. Couldn't really get excited enough to get tix to see them with Black Dahlia (kinda wanted to go day of but was sold out and didn't feel like risking finding one out front), and with the amount of good stuff coming up in the next few months, I feel like I will feel the same way seeing them play probably an even shorter set before Enslaved and Amon Amarth, though I would probably dig them both more than BDM live...

Reply to topic