Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:32 am 

That very well could be because you have awful taste.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:44 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:

Spoiler: show

Brutality_Junkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:23 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:

MutantClannfear? Awful taste?

Spoiler: show

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:19 pm 

To be fair, I have a reputation around here as the resident slam wigger that I don't really ever do much to dispel (I like a lot of more traditional death metal but I tend not to talk about it as much). I'll accept the title of Most Terrible Tastes on the forum without dispute, considering what discussions I usually chime in on around here I guess you could say I deserve it.

truefail
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:03 am 

DeathfareDevil wrote:
truefail wrote:
I've listened some dismember songs. I was wrong, that's too tuneless for me :(

Try Ribspreader (bonus Swano link to Bloodbath).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2__JfizqcSk

Oh, and Entrails.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I4xKJ1KbTY

I don't know about Entrails, but Ribspreader is a really good (and maybe undeservedly neglected) band :). Thank you for this a lot :)

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:07 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
That Mammoth Grinder track sounded disappointing. :( That's the first I've heard from the band, to be fair, but... eh. I didn't really get the feeling that the punk rhythms brought much more to the table than the riffs would have by themselves. The riffs themselves weren't really anything special, either, and I didn't really think it was as massive as Metantoine seemed to describe it as. It wasn't terrible at all, but the quality of the cover art is extremely misleading.

EDIT: Oh, there's a full album stream now. Listening to a couple other tracks, still feeling distinctly underwhelmed.

+1

Too samey. Too boring. Didn't like the previous album much and so had no expectations with this release. They were met.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:06 pm 

Lightsbane wrote:
I'm looking for some melodic death metal bands similar to Darkest Hour, (old) In Flames, and Carcass (Heartwork).

Bumping this, specially for Darkest Hour style of U.S. melodeath (The Eternal Return, Deliver Us and Undoing Ruin) I'm also looking for vocals that are similar to John Henry'. Kind of light hardcore growls? Don't really know how to call it, but the man can give some emotion in his performance.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:51 am 

IntoNevermore wrote:
Lightsbane wrote:
I'm looking for some melodic death metal bands similar to Darkest Hour, (old) In Flames, and Carcass (Heartwork).

Bumping this, specially for Darkest Hour style of U.S. melodeath (The Eternal Return, Deliver Us and Undoing Ruin) I'm also looking for vocals that are similar to John Henry'. Kind of light hardcore growls? Don't really know how to call it, but the man can give some emotion in his performance.

You mean something like this ?

T h a n a t o s
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:41 am 

I'm sure there has already been such request here but unfortunately I can't find it right now. (
Can anyone recommend me death or death/thrash metal with clean (or at least predominantly clean) vocals? The main point is that I'm not looking for progressive/avant-garde/symphonic stuff with death metal elements (progressive death metal can be ok if it's more death than progressive). The only example that I know is Desultor... Well, maybe also some Nevermore and Scariot songs that are more death than thrash.
P.S. Sorry for my English.

Brutality_Junkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:01 pm 

T h a n a t o s wrote:
Can anyone recommend me death or death/thrash metal with clean (or at least predominantly clean) vocals?

The closest band to your specifications that I know of is Into Eternity; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nQ4ZR-NI6A

Hopefully that's what you were looking for. :metal:

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:27 pm 

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind wrote:
IntoNevermore wrote:

You mean something like this ?

That was nice, definitely a good listen but not really what I had in mind, thank you though n_n

bodhiUXO
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:54 am 

So apparently my 2013 thread is locked which wasn't necissarily a DM help thread just a thread hoping to gather noteable 2013 DM releases, so since that was shot in the ass, this is one of the better bands i've heard releasing their debut this year

FFO: Grave Upheaval/Impetuous Ritual/Temple Nightside

http://irkallianoracle.bandcamp.com/

as well as this band, not sure if someone here recommended it or not but it's worth posting again.

http://katechon.bandcamp.com/album/man-god-giant

this album is stellar as well.

http://verminous.bandcamp.com/album/the ... nion-album

thanks metal archives for completely dismantling the sole purpose of my earlier thread :)

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:14 am 

Thanks for the recs (I'll check them out when I can figure out why bandcamp has no sound for me), but I literally cringed at the amount of passive aggressiveness in that post of yours.

bodhiUXO
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:25 pm 

Go fuck yourself. How's that for passive aggressive?

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:25 pm 

bodhiUXO wrote:
Go fuck yourself. How's that for passive aggressive?

:lol:

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:37 am 

IntoNevermore wrote:
Lightsbane wrote:

ATR debut album maybe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUwLRtXq1lU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT5Skwcx5FM&list=PLAC11F060ABBF74CF

FantomLord17 wrote:
...while In Flames lyrics make me think of a teenager's facebook post.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:10 am 

bodhiUXO wrote:

that album is soooooo good, not even close to enough people giving it praise!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:10 pm 

omnishadow wrote:

Thanks, haven't heard that album by ATR in a long, long while. Not really what I was looking for, but it brought nice memories. n_n

CabalofKadara
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:08 am 

Can anyone link to some demos from the 80's that are worthwhile? I found Carnage, Corpse and all the Morbid Angel stuff. Anything more on the obscure side?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:55 am 

I've known of Drawn and Quartered for few years but never really got down to checking them out. So, it's about time I changed that. Which albums do you recommend? Some key highlights etc? Thanks!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:03 am 

shouvince wrote:
I've known of Drawn and Quartered for few years but never really got down to checking them out. So, it's about time I changed that. Which albums do you recommend? Some key highlights etc? Thanks!

Their every album is great.

To Kill Is Human is their darkest and doomiest. Implements Of Hell is probably one of their heaviest songs. Extermination Revelry is faster and with some black metal elements (see Worshippers of Total Death, what an incredible song!). Return of the Black Death is probably their most iconic album, with modern production and dark, somewhat Polish-styled sinister death metal riffing. Hail Inferal Darkness is quite abundant in desolate guitar leads, and also contains some black metal elements (mostly in Nightghoul of the Graveyards). Merciless Hammer of Lucifer is somewhat similar, not one of the most memorable albums by DnQ. It has very lenghty blast beat sections. Feeding Hell's Furnace recalls Extermination Reverly more, but also hints to Incantation more than earlier albums aside from the debut.

Hail Infernal Darkness and Merciless Hammer of Lucifer aren't the best starting points, but anything else should work. I started with Return of the Black Death, but I'd probably recommend Extermination Revelry the most as an introduction.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:15 am 

That was fast! Thanks a lot man for each album's description. I'll give Extermination Revelry a shot then and see where it leads from there. They've always been quoted along with the likes of the mighty Immolation and Incantation but really seemed like underdogs (read: less popular) to me. That was my impression. Cheers!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:17 am 

They are underdogs to those two, but you know, it'd take quite a lot not to be. They're an excellent band. You're welcome!

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:26 am 

I think personally that Hail Infernal Darkness is my favourite. Chock full of aggression and simultaneous uneasy atmosphere - and they can literally destroy you when they turn on the complex, dizzying brutality. Buy Ilwhyan is correct, their entire discography is worth checking out. Fucking great, underrated band.

My collection

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:39 am 

Anything similar to Slumber of the Sullen Eyes without the speed? Slow to midpaced, melodic, european. NO US old school DM revival.

Orbitball
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:38 pm 

Hey!

Check out Death's "Spiritual Healing" remastered version for a taste of original, quality, and well song-written album within the entire hemisphere of death metal. Also, Deicide's self-titled release as well as "Legion" you'll find the peak in death metal totally directly. I'd also have to say Cannibal Corpse's "Butchered At Birth" is a classic. i don't like any other album from them which I've pawned off all of their CD's except that one for good. I just can't get into any of their newer material, so I just literally gave up on the band. Their new album "Torture" is terrible.

Some other bands to look into are Lifeless and Dismember. Both playing very similar type of death metal with grueling vocals and music like no other. Actually Dismember's self-titled release is the only one I own right now. Get the new Lifeless, it's definitely worth it. Coming from me, it's a big thing because of how picky I am with music that is. Sometimes some albums take time to get into. But I know which ones to erase from my collection and ones that I should keep because I know that eventually I should keep because it'll be later when I finally get into them.

Death metal in general is not my favorite genre because I think bands sing too much about meaningless shit. If the guitar is good, I'll make exceptions, but I won't praise bands that sing about anti-Christianity and Satanism because it's just stupid and a lot of people like me get turned off by it because it's so boring. It gets stale after a while as I only have a few Deicide releases left in my collection for that reason. I prefer melodic death the most especially old Arch Enemy. Carcass too on "Heartwork." Those are a few examples......

Hope this helps.

Ryan

Check Out My Website:

http://www.secret-face.com/

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:38 pm 

Orbitball wrote:
Hey!

Check out Death's "Spiritual Healing" remastered version for a taste of original, quality, and well song-written album within the entire hemisphere of death metal. Also, Deicide's self-titled release as well as "Legion" you'll find the peak in death metal totally directly. I'd also have to say Cannibal Corpse's "Butchered At Birth" is a classic. i don't like any other album from them which I've pawned off all of their CD's except that one for good. I just can't get into any of their newer material, so I just literally gave up on the band. Their new album "Torture" is terrible.

Some other bands to look into are Lifeless and Dismember. Both playing very similar type of death metal with grueling vocals and music like no other. Actually Dismember's self-titled release is the only one I own right now. Get the new Lifeless, it's definitely worth it. Coming from me, it's a big thing because of how picky I am with music that is. Sometimes some albums take time to get into. But I know which ones to erase from my collection and ones that I should keep because I know that eventually I should keep because it'll be later when I finally get into them.

Death metal in general is not my favorite genre because I think bands sing too much about meaningless shit. If the guitar is good, I'll make exceptions, but I won't praise bands that sing about anti-Christianity and Satanism because it's just stupid and a lot of people like me get turned off by it because it's so boring. It gets stale after a while as I only have a few Deicide releases left in my collection for that reason. I prefer melodic death the most especially old Arch Enemy. Carcass too on "Heartwork." Those are a few examples......

Hope this helps.

Ryan

Check Out My Website:

http://www.secret-face.com/

Okay, first off, not only are those recommendations possibly the most basic things you could offer, if you're specifically offering those to the guy who asked for Demigod-like bands you're pretty much flat-out wrong.

Second of all, how can your name be "Ryan" when your Metal Archives profile says you're a 65-year-old woman named "Laura Fanucchi-Banash"? Is there more than one person using your profile? :|

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:47 am 

Milo wrote:
Anything similar to Slumber of the Sullen Eyes without the speed? Slow to midpaced, melodic, european. NO US old school DM revival.

Probably a bit too obvious but Convule circa World Without God and Depravity's Remasquerade ep for slower somewhat melodic dm.

Also Torchure - Beyond the Veil lp comes to mind, though it's been a while since i listened to it so could be off base with that one.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:11 pm 

Hayisforhorses wrote:
Also Torchure - Beyond the Veil lp comes to mind, though it's been a while since i listened to it so could be off base with that one.

You're not that far off to be honest. Good call!

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:19 pm 

Milo wrote:

Finnish death metal is by nature rather atmospheric. If you liked Demigod you may also like Adramelech, Disgrace, early Sentenced (before they got in touch with their inner goth)

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:55 am 

androdion wrote:
Hayisforhorses wrote:

You're not that far off to be honest. Good call!

Damn right it's a good call. That's a good album, as is The Essence.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:15 am 

Convulse was one of the few Finnish bands I couldn't get into.

Purtenance is really good and Funebre is a bit slower and melodic compared to most of the other Finnish bands. I'd recommend those two.

Purtenance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEuGiXJ1bus

Funebre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgP7bjJ2qkE

Grindcoremaniac135
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:03 am 

Does anyone knows any bands like grave upheaval, Portal and impetuous ritual, please write!

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:14 am 

Grindcoremaniac135 wrote:
Does anyone knows any bands like grave upheaval, Portal and impetuous ritual, please write!

Heresiarch, Lithotome, Aethyrvorous, Begrime Exemious, Abyssal

Grindcoremaniac135
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:05 am 

Does anyone know some death metal bands with sunO))) elements/influences, so please write!

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:26 pm 

So i worship Immolation's first 5 albums and i haven't heard anything post Unholy Cult. I've read that they changed their style a bit? How different is it now? I don't like checking out songs on youtube because the quality is bad and my pc speakers are bad. Any recs? Are the post Unholy Cult albums worth to buy?

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:00 pm 

metroplex wrote:
So i worship Immolation's first 5 albums and i haven't heard anything post Unholy Cult. I've read that they changed their style a bit? How different is it now? I don't like checking out songs on youtube because the quality is bad and my pc speakers are bad. Any recs? Are the post Unholy Cult albums worth to buy?

They did? I guess their sound's changed over time, but as far as I can tell there hasn't really been a huge stylistic shift or anything. Immolation still sounds like Immolation to me. Perhaps check out their latest and see what you think?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:27 pm 

Their biggest stylistic shift was definitely between Dawn of Possession and Here In After. There are differences between subsequent albums, of course, and their past few releases have had a much more polished sound than they ever had previously, but the style has remained largely unchanged since Here In After IMO.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:42 pm 

There are substantial changes in their sound, some already noticeable on Unholy Cult with Thomas Wilkinson being substituted by Bill Taylor. The later employs a more melodic and less intricate riffing style, which can be heard in the more straightforward nature of aforementioned album in comparison to its predecessor. That album was also the last one to feature Alex Hernandez as the band's drummer, and while Steve Shalaty is very competent I wouldn't say that he is on the same level of rhythmic dynamics as Alex. He's the typical death metal drummer so to speak, whereas Alex was much more varied and expansive in his approach.

To me that album and the subsequent Harnessing Ruin is where you notice the band shifting the musical approach into something more typical. Sure, it still sounds like Immolation. But it's not exactly the same thing. I find Harnessing Ruin to be an OK album, it's decent and has a few songs that kick major ass. The rest I haven't heard in depth to be able to comment, although they seem to clean up the sound on that album and more or less maintain the same approach.

bodhiUXO
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:59 am 

Quote:
Grindcoremaniac135 wrote:
Quote:

http://irkallianoracle.bandcamp.com/

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197 ... 289  Next