Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:05 pm 

Never been a Gorefest fan myself to be honest. I've tried listening to Convulse's sophomore effort as well but, you know... it's not WWG...

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:11 pm 

androdion wrote:
You'll notice that I also left ROP out of my statement, and undertaking the risk of a public beating... I find that album to be pretty much unlistenable.
It took me Tools of The Trade to start enjoying Reek. I didn't really get Reek until I heard Pyosified (Still Rotten to the Gore) and enjoyed it in its more recent version (better production). Then I went back to Reek just to re-hear the original song, and all of a sudden I started enjoying some other songs on it.

JoeBlakkk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:42 pm 

I rarely listen to reek but Burnt to a Crisp is the shit.
Best song on the album.

I know people like the album for its unique sound but I'd really like to have heard it before the producer or whomever messed it all up.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:26 am 

Listening to the new album a bit more I think it's pretty darn good, one of the better/best comebacks ever I'd say especially after so many years. It's not my preferred style of metal anymore, but I will definitely be buying it as soon as I figure out which format I want to get it on.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:00 pm 

Got the deluxe edition, Intensive Battery Brooding sounds like a more ballsy version of a Swansong song. I see why they didn't include it with the main tracklist now, it doesn't fit in very well with the rest of the tracks. I'm still interested in hearing the other couple that were originally announced but not released.

Negi3
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:27 am 

It's obviously not a groundbreaking release or anything, but then again it's roughly more or less what I expected. Which is good in a way, because metal as of late has been mostly intolerable save 13 and some others I decline to list. It's probably the best fresh material I've listened to in years.

The quality is there, the sound is there...the inspiration is somewhat missing, but you have to consider that this is, after all, a comeback album. I can see why some people would call it sterile. They probably went too far in trying to please everyone this time round, so there is no aesthetic vision or theme unique to this album necessary to make it a classic IMO.

Their best? Obviously necroticism, but between heartwork and this, it's very close.

DethFanatic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:50 pm 

Stabwound wrote:
Got the deluxe edition, Intensive Battery Brooding sounds like a more ballsy version of a Swansong song. I see why they didn't include it with the main tracklist now, it doesn't fit in very well with the rest of the tracks. I'm still interested in hearing the other couple that were originally announced but not released.

A Wraith in the Apparatus is on the Japanese release alongside Intensive Battery Brooding, got one in the mail today (came out on 4 September in Japan, fortunately Amazon Japan has a "see this crap in English" button).

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:09 pm 

I can see why they left those 2 songs off of the main album. They don't really fit in with the rest of the album.

DethFanatic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:56 pm 

Stabwound wrote:
I can see why they left those 2 songs off of the main album. They don't really fit in with the rest of the album.

Completely agree, although Mount of Execution doesn't entirely fit with everything else either. A Wraith in the Apparatus is just...different, although Bill's vocal lines seem to get my attention for some reason. Intensive Battery Brooding strikes me as something that almost might've fit onto Barbed Wire Soul, it's definitely got the right sense of humor going on.

That being said, I liked Swansong and I liked Barbed Wire Soul, so to me these are still pretty worthwhile tracks even though they don't fit with the actual album.

VampireofTheNazereth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:07 am 

I really honestly think THIS is there best album!
I've been listening to it so many times, along with Heartwork this past week and can't get enough.

For me it's Surgical Steel, followed closely by Heartwork.

"The Granulating Dark Satanic Mills" will be a classic and "Noncompliance..." sounds very similar to the "Heartwork" track.
So many great songs on this album.

I don't really like their other albums.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:12 am 

VampireofTheNazereth wrote:
I don't really like their other albums.

:annoyed:

Kirvis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:33 pm 

Before I heard this album I though that it will be boring and dim, but after first listening I cardinal changed my opinion. Really amazing album after 13 years of silence. Catchy riff and melodies, nice drumming and everything makes "Surgical Steel" one of the best albums these year.

Negi3
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:20 am 

i find it hard to not talk about carcass AND necroticism at the same time. i dunno, i suppose there are fans who would consider heartwork their masterpiece, but i thought that they were few in number. i cannot imagine why anyone would not appreciate necroticism.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:29 am 

Yeah, there wouldn't be a Heartwork without a Necroticism before it. The two albums aren't worlds apart - the former is the catchier, more direct side of the coin and the latter the more complex and bizarre side. But they both share similarities in the guitarwork and I think both are really good.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:38 pm 

Here be one of the B-sides, "Zochrot".

It's absolutely different from pretty much everything on the album proper. Very mid-paced and no blasting to be found.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

controlledbleeding
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:42 pm 

definately a killer album and for all the come back bands, this has to be up there, if not, at the very top of the pile!

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:54 am 

Fuck! I have to buy phisically Surgical Steel and unfortunately haven't money to do that now :annoyed:

Waiting another week to get earnings :grr: :grr: :grr:

"You make it easy."

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:13 am 

Zochrot wouldn't be out of place on Swansong. It is slightly different from the rest of Surgical Steel and maybe that's why it didn't find a place on it. But I'd say it's groovier and enjoyable than at least 50% of the songs that made the cut.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:27 am 

I downloaded the japanese version(extra tracks) and ended up buying it on amazon. Only $7(mp3 download). I admit, it's one of the few albums Ive bought this year, though Ive deleted a lot of stuff *ahem*, Megadeth. Looks like its really doing good on amazon. My first physical copy in a long time is the new Broken Hope.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:34 am 

I have the CD and have given it a few listens. It's alright. Kind of a hybrid of Necroticism and Heartwork with modern production, as I expected. The songwriting seems pretty forgettable overall, though. Not much has stuck in my mind.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:05 am 

ENKC wrote:
I have the CD and have given it a few listens. It's alright. Kind of a hybrid of Necroticism and Heartwork with modern production, as I expected. The songwriting seems pretty forgettable overall, though. Not much has stuck in my mind.

Pretty much this. Very few riffs/sections to remember, the rest is just average death metal between Necro and HW.

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:24 pm 

Just got the first aid kit version in the mail. I've been Carcass fan since 92. I was eagerly awaiting this album for years. I purposely refused to listen to any of the advance streaming tracks so I could take it all in the proper way. Over all it's pretty good. I still like Heartwork better as of the moment. As good as Surgical is, I feel it's missing something. Obviously it is, and that's Mike Amott and Ken's contributions. That, and I expected to hear more of Bill's deeper vocals and Jeff's bass (especially this since he has been touting his Jeff Walker Fernandes signature bass for some time).

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:46 am 

Listening to Zochrot right now and it's a good song indeed.

"You make it easy."

mayonesa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:55 am 

androdion wrote:
Never been a Gorefest fan myself to be honest.

Best album's the first. EQ carefully to compensate for anemic production.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:31 am 

The more I listen to this album the more I like it, I was like a lot of people here. Not bothered by it when I first heard it but it's really growing on me. I'd rate it higher than Heartwork because it generally has more listenable tracks than Heartwork. I'm not of the kind who dislikes Heartwork because it's more accessible, the actual song Heartwork got me into extreme metal but I think there are too many boring tracks on the album. No Love Lost is boring as fuck and there are a few other tracks that suffer from boringness. This Mortal Coil and Heartwork are killers of tracks though.

Necroticism will always be their best though, it's what I consider real Carcass.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:55 am 

mayonesa wrote:
androdion wrote:
Never been a Gorefest fan myself to be honest.

Best album's the first. EQ carefully to compensate for anemic production.

I've heard their first four a few years back, as my "metal mentor" who managed to get me heavily into death metal is a big fan of them. It's just one of those bands where I just couldn't find much to appreciate, although that's not meant to say anything about their actual quality. It's just not my thing. ;)

Heilman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:04 pm 

What are the bonus/extra tracks recorded in these sessions?

A Wraith, Intensive battery, Zochrot... Anything else?

DethFanatic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:39 am 

Heilman wrote:
What are the bonus/extra tracks recorded in these sessions?

A Wraith, Intensive battery, Zochrot... Anything else?

One more was Livestock Marketplace, which is the only one currently unreleased. A Wraith in the Apparatus is on the Japanese release along with Intensive Battery Brooding, the digipaks all have Intensive Battery Brooding, and Zochrot was on the Decibel flexi thing.

Zochrot can also be heard here: https://soundcloud.com/decibelmagazine/ ... hrot-db034 Decibel sticking it on soundcloud was appreciated, now it's on my iPod!

The three bonus tracks released so far are a bit different from the album, leaning more towards Swansong. I think Wraith is the one that would've fit best on Surgical Steel, but it still would've stood out a bit. The completely hilarious Intensive Battery Brooding wouldn't have been out of place on Barbed Wire Soul either, for that matter.

Negi3 wrote:
i cannot imagine why anyone would not appreciate necroticism.

Me either!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:45 am 

Necroticism is a pretty overrated "silly fun" kind of deathgrind album. Exhumed are doing that type of music better imo. Carcass were much more coherent on Symphonies.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:23 am 

Necroticism is deathgrind?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:35 am 

Why? What is the correct nomenclature? Enlighten me.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:46 am 

How about just 'death metal'? Which is basically what it is.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:54 am 

I'm not trying to be a genre scientist, I just don't hear any grindcore in Necroticism.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:59 am 

Erm, okay... the album always struck me as heavily grindcore influenced death metal, so I wasn't sure if you were disagreeing with that point or if "deathgrind" refers to death influenced grind, but not grind influenced death. Eh, whatever.

Last edited by inhumanist on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:00 am 

Necroticism is also rather elaborate and intricate. Ignoring that it's not deathgrind to begin with, when I think of fun death grind, I think of something like Lakupaavi.

PM Alhadis, he's the grind nerd here as far as I remember.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:02 am 

It's chaotic, but that doesn't make it sophisticated.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:26 am 

Well, it's a very well written and technical album. It's very tight and melodic, and even epic in some places with how many riffs they stack on.

Negi3
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:30 am 

best to call it death metal, leaning slightly to the more progressive side

the best songs on surgical steel are of this kind imo, meaning noncompliance, unfit and congealed (?)

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:32 pm 

Necroticism is an out and out death metal album, I can't think of any real grind influences on that album. Symphonies of Sickness is a deathgrind album. Necroticism fucking rules too, amazing album.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:53 pm 

I never thought of Symphonies as a grindcore album in any way, the songs are too long and riffs are coherent and death metal oriented. Symphonies of Sickness to me is just a dirty death metal album, Reek of Putrefaction is grindcore.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next