Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:07 am 

Morrigan, sounds like you made the right choice regarding BSG. Balthair definitely gets a lot more screen time and his character gets a lot more annoying. Early on I kind of liked his weird relationship with Six but as it progressed and she took on the "Dexter's dad" role it got real dumb. The acting was really a mixed bag for me. John McCain was alright but sometimes a bit cheesy, Edward James Olmos as I said was only good when hey was playing it low-key. Luckily Starbuck was pretty decent throughout but as was pointed out her character flaws and general story arc were just...not that great.

Anyway even with all its flaws it's definitely one of the more enjoyable space-based sci fi shows I've seen.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:30 am 

John McCain? :lol: Do you mean er... Col. Tigh or something?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:35 am 

Same guy.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Slaytanic55
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:26 pm 

I have four episodes left in season 3 of Star Trek:TOS, and I don't know why people always say it's the worst season. Thus far, it has been much better than season 2, still not even close to season one, but great nonetheless. I think it's because season 2 had all the shitty "enterprise finds planet identical to some era in earth's history" formula episodes, and it just got very tedious after a while. Season 3 has been quite consistent thus far, with only a few 'meh' episodes.

Also, I think Star Trek: The Animated Series gets an honorable mention. Sure, the animation's pretty bad, but the writing is still just like an extension of the original series, albeit with much simpler stories, but it seems to be the only one nobody mentions.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:44 pm 

I mention it from time to time around here. It's one of my favs. Has the highest ratio of A+ episodes to total episodes of any ST series, so, that's something!

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:03 am 

DS9 just royally pissed me off.
Waltz.

Spoiler: show
Where before your eyes Gul Dukat, seen here at his most fragile, transforms from the most compelling, complicated villain in the franchise into cartoon levels of villainy

Also, needs more Iggy Pop Vorta.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:02 am 

The hell with that, I thought that was a great episode. Sure he was cracking up and acting way more extreme than usual, but that episode perfectly illustrated the character's underlying motivations taken to extremes - his narcissistic need for constant approval, his manipulativeness, his intense resentment of those he perceives as having rejected him (like the Bajorans). Regardless, he recovers after that episode and calms down quite a bit, he doesn't act that way for the rest of the series. He was just suffering the after-effects of a total nervous breakdown.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:30 am 

X-Files count? My favorite show of all time. Except Season 7, that blows.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:02 pm 

Re; Failsafe
Oh I thought it was a fantastic episode, bit at the time it pissed me off, haha.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:15 pm 

Still enjoying [Moral] Continuum. Just finished the Pemberton episode. Who the fuck is the protagonist and who is the antagonist?
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:54 pm 

Yeah that episode was weird. That little Dillon guy returns with more attitude than a chihuahua, Kiera goes bananas, and we start to feel sympathy for Julian and his cause or at least get to see what's really bothering those pesky terrorists. Would you kill Stalin if you could go back in time? Or would you save him? I know it's not the same thing but for Kiera it sure seems to be. I have to warn you this show still has a couple of more moral dilemmas up its sleeve before the season ends as frustrating as it may be at times. But I commend the show for providing us with hyper extreme views clashing against each other as frightening as they are; especially Kiera, who in one episode says thought crime is not illegal in present time but it will be in the future. I honestly didn't think I'd still be seeing the show but their little plot twists kept bringing me back. Well that and uh...

Auspicium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:00 pm 

I forgot how slow DS9 is those first few episodes. But then again s1 of TNG is painfully bad.

Farscape is definitely my favorite sf series. I just wish they would have explored Bracca's Smithers-esque crush on Scorpy.

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:17 am 

Still need to finish Farscape.
Scorpius needs to be in everything.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:55 am 

I watched all of Farscape not long ago over the course of a few weeks. Better than I thought it would be, but not great or anything. I felt Scorpius was overused to be honest. The episodes I enjoyed the most were the simple self-contained stories, especially the earlier ones. When all the episodes started to revolve about the same thing (wormholes) I got bored. DS9 and B5 did the same towards the end but they were multidimensional enough for it to succeed, Farscape is pulpy action sci-fi and worked best that way. Didn't like some of the characters much either, at least enough to see them every show: namely the two redheads and Stark.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:39 am 

What the fucking shit at that ending for Continuum!!!!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:43 am 

_MFMGW_ wrote:
Still need to finish Farscape.
Scorpius needs to be in everything.

I got the first season because Failsafeman and ortab were always praising it, can't wait to watch it! I'm also currently watching the first TNG season, what's wrong with it exactly? I read some criticism here. I think it's pretty damn good... I've always been somewhat lenient with Trek but I really want to watch all the series now.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:31 am 

If you think S01 of TNG is good, you are in for a treat. :D

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:32 am 

What can I say, I would probably watch anything with Jean-Luc Picard in it, yes even Nemesis! Watched that yesterday, Tom Hardy basically played the same character in The Dark Knight Rises but with a voice problem.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:41 am 

Meh, i realise that objectively and in the sense of continuity with the rest of the show, it has some problems, but I find TNG season 1 more enjoyable than some of the later ones. It's a lot more of an adventure serial and less of the soap opera in space it would sometimes become later. They really settled down with some of the characterisation and ironed out a few kinks (the Ferengi early on were nothing like what you'd see later, for example), but I don't know, I found it quite entertaining. Gene Rhodenberry had a lot of influence at that time, I think, and that makes it seem a good bit more than TOS as well. I'm not really a Trek fan generally; my favourites are TOS (for just being cool 60s SF TV and at times amusing) and DS9 (the only one I really take/think about seriously), so maybe it makes sense that the TNG that's more like TOS is kind of what I like best.

Season 2 of TNG is vastly underrated though. Polanski should have stuck around. She was so, so much better than Boring Bev....
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:57 pm 

It wasn't until she left that I realised how good she was

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:58 am 

Finally got around to watch Firefly. Next episode in line is episode 9. I don't think I've ever watched a series where I really enjoy half the episodes and really just sat through the other half almost completely uninterested. Guess I couldn't expect more from a Joss Whedon show...

Need to get something else soon though seeing as this poor show didn't last past season 1...

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:08 pm 

I miss Firefly. :(

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:33 pm 

I'm watching Enterprise. Hmm. I watched seasons 3/4 years ago cuz people told me it improved. This time I'm starting at the beginning. It's not as bad as I remember. I'm probably more open-minded these days, whereas back then I wanted it to be TNG/DS9.

That said, it's really not that insanely different, not compared to the Abrams reboot...

And yes, T'Pol is hot.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:50 pm 

There are some REALLY, REALLY goddamn terrible episodes, the fourth episode Strange New World being the worst offender--possibly the worst Enterprise episode of all time and easily one of the worst Trek episodes. But there are also some very good episodes that stand toe-to-toe with the very best of Star Trek; The Andorian Incident and its awesome follow-up, Shadows of P'Jem, Shuttlepod One, Fusion and the first half of Unexpected are bonified classics in my book. Enterprise is tied with Voyager for the best first season of Star Trek (with the worst being DS9 which had, like, one good episode) in my opinion. Unfortunately, the second season didn't show the kind of improvement that was necessary to keep the show on air for much longer.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

GardensofGrief
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:58 pm 

I'm a huge fan of the X-Files, I've been watching the show my entire life, it also spawned my obsession with the paranormal, I own all 9 seasons.
Another really good underrated show is Millennium, sort of like the X-Files but a lot darker in tone, and it gets quite deep too. Other shows I like:
Farscape
Babylon 5
Stargate sg-1
Stargate Atlantis
Battlestar Galactica
Firefly

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:08 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
There are some REALLY, REALLY goddamn terrible episodes, the fourth episode Strange New World being the worst offender--possibly the worst Enterprise episode of all time and easily one of the worst Trek episodes. But there are also some very good episodes that stand toe-to-toe with the very best of Star Trek; The Andorian Incident and its awesome follow-up, Shadows of P'Jem, Shuttlepod One, Fusion and the first half of Unexpected are bonified classics in my book. Enterprise is tied with Voyager for the best first season of Star Trek (with the worst being DS9 which had, like, one good episode) in my opinion. Unfortunately, the second season didn't show the kind of improvement that was necessary to keep the show on air for much longer.

Hahah, I just watched Strange New World. I didn't hate it, probably because I'm fascinated by hallucinogens, but I wouldn't exactly call it a good episode, no.

I am struck by how fairly decent Enterprise is starting out. Acting is a lot better than early DS9 and TNG; they seem to have "found their roles" pretty quickly, aside from a few isolated cringe moments, like Trip falling upward in zero g and going "waaaaoooohhhahhhhhhhhhh!"

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:03 am 

GardensofGrief wrote:
I'm a huge fan of the X-Files, I've been watching the show my entire life, it also spawned my obsession with the paranormal, I own all 9 seasons.

Me too. I think season 7 is an embarrassment, though. Season 2 is my favorite.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:50 am 

Fellow nerds, are any of the Stargates worth watching? I recently re-watched the movie, which is a classic sci-fi/adventure flick, albeit pretty brainless. I get a lot of mixed messages about how good the various Stargate series are, but I'm not sure I want to bother finding out for myself, given SG-1 is 10 fucking seasons long.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:16 am 

Atlantis is pretty decent and I'm still pissed that they cancelled Universe since it was getting interesting :( Not sure I'll watch SG-1 though, I've seen a lot of episodes years ago and meh, I'd rather watch Star Trek since I haven't watch that and I'm sure it's better in every ways.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:51 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
Meh, i realise that objectively and in the sense of continuity with the rest of the show, it has some problems, but I find TNG season 1 more enjoyable than some of the later ones. It's a lot more of an adventure serial and less of the soap opera in space it would sometimes become later. They really settled down with some of the characterisation and ironed out a few kinks (the Ferengi early on were nothing like what you'd see later, for example), but I don't know, I found it quite entertaining. Gene Rhodenberry had a lot of influence at that time, I think, and that makes it seem a good bit more than TOS as well. I'm not really a Trek fan generally; my favourites are TOS (for just being cool 60s SF TV and at times amusing) and DS9 (the only one I really take/think about seriously), so maybe it makes sense that the TNG that's more like TOS is kind of what I like best.

Season 2 of TNG is vastly underrated though. Polanski should have stuck around. She was so, so much better than Boring Bev....

I watched season 1-2 all the way through for the first time this year myself, and yeah enjoyed both quite a bit. The first season was pulpy cheese to the max, but I dug the charm for the most part and well, it was just simply enjoyable. Season 2 definitely improved things. I was watching these off Amazon Prime which had the BD versions and they looked incredible, but only got halfway into season 3 which were from VHS/DVD's or something. Huge downgrade and I think that and maybe the tone change made me put it off for now, I'll have to restart it with a clear mind at some point I think.

Seriously though, what happened to Riker's waistline between seasons 2-3? :eek:

And yeah, Polanski was good stuff.

I got about halfway into season 1 of DS9 too which was getting cool. Hearing that it builds up into some full on war and huge arcs in the later seasons sounds pretty amazing.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:50 am 

DS9 gets a lot better for sure!

failsafe, depends on what you want. If a fairly light-hearted show with decent characterization, quite a bit of comic relief, action/adventure scifi plots etc sounds interesting, I recommend both SG-1 and Atlantis. Might as well watch them in order, starting with SG-1, despite the fact that I didn't. You can skip the last 2 seasons of SG-1 when the cast changes.

I enjoyed my stint with Stargate, but it's more popcorn entertainment than something memorable like TNG/DS9, BSG etc. I'd still recommend it.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:35 am 

I haven't seen all of either but I'm with Metantoine in that I thought Atlantis was way better than SG-1, especially early on. I still maintain that pretty much every Trek series is stronger than any of Stargates, though. I'd suggest you watch Enterprise before teh Gatez, at least its excellent third season.

Speaking of, how's Enterprise treating you, Nahsil?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:49 am 

Episode 5, where Trip gets pregnant, was pretty hilariously awful. :lol:

I'm sure it'll get better though.

P.S. I doubt I'll ever stop hating the theme song.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:17 am 

Huh, I thought the first half was just spectacularly good (truly alien atmosphere with wonderful costumes and sets and a lot of intriguing questions about how different cultures interact with each other)... and the second half was utter Trek cheese but it still had amusing dialog. Infinitely better than Strange New World, if you ask me.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:40 am 

I did like the decompression and "perceptual adjustments" and all that, nice to see more than just "oh hello, I've come aboard from my shuttle!" but overall not a big fan. I didn't think Strange New World was good either, just mildly interesting when it came to the paranoid delusions/hallucinations.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:41 am 

Out of the series during the past decade or two, only Lexx has caught my attention, and even that just mildly, really. However, I watched a few episodes of the ancient Sapphire and Steel on YouTube, and if there ever was a series worth reactivating, that could be it. With modern production values, but keeping the alien atmosphere and slowish storytelling, it could be awesome. It was all about weirdness and scripts, after all.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:05 am 

Enterprise's "The Andorian Incident" was good, and the few episodes I've watched past that have been a rise in quality as well. It really does feel like Trek, even if the formula isn't EXACTLY the same as the other shows. Really it's not that far off. Yay!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:37 pm 

Did you see the ending twist coming in Andorian Incident? The first time I watched it I didn't... but I was only 13...

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:20 pm 

I never really cared for sci-fi tv show in the past but earlier this year I watched Red Dwarf on Netflix and loved it. I just finished Firefly and the movie Serenity the other day and I loved them! It's so shitty that the show was never really given an opportunity to succeed because it has a great story line and really interesting characters. There is so much more that they could have done with that show.

untappd: patrick_g

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:23 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Did you see the ending twist coming in Andorian Incident? The first time I watched it I didn't... but I was only 13...

I suspected, but I wasn't 100% sure.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4