Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:44 pm 

In 2010, Kyuss reformed without guitarist Josh Homme (of QOTSA fame) under the moniker Kyuss Lives!. After a lawsuit launched by Josh and Scott Reader (former Kyuss bassist) a judge ruled that Kyuss Lives! could only use the name for live performances and not recordings, and suggested they start rebranding under a new name to avoid complications. Nick Oliveri, who was part of the reformation for a bit, is set to be on the new Queens album along with Dave Grohl (which should be awesome). Personally I'm glad they aren't performing under the Kyuss name anymore, I think they should let a good thing die peacefully. However, I'm psyched that they're performing together again and can't wait to see what they come up with.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... o-20121203
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh57fJ3msoI

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:06 pm 

cool to know that we'll see more from them, I saw Kyuss Lives! last year and they absolutely killed it, so I hope I have the chance to see them again

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:38 pm 

Somehow I've only heard Welcome To Sky Valley but I may still end up checking this out.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:09 pm 

meeh...in my book josh was a fundamental part of Kyuss sound and quality so im not expecting much from this. Anyway ill surely check it out.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:35 pm 

i saw them [kyuss lives!] play over here, on fri 13th even, man that show was excellent, one of my favourite gigs ever.
i'd be stoked if they cam back and played again, under any moniker

all this suing and lawsuit carry on is bullshit, very sad bullshit.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:26 am 

Vista Chino lol. The years have not improved their ways with words apparently. Not a huge amount of Kyuss in the band any more, and I'm more excited about Josh/Nick/Groll's QUOTSA, but I am always happy to hear more Garcia vocals.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:17 am 

Why are these two bands such alternative darlings? Bar a handful of songs from each there's nothing really good about either of them. And Garcia's vocals are TERRIBLE. Like a weak, out-of-key early 90s Hetfield.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:17 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
Nick Oliveri, who was part of the reformation for a bit, is set to be on the new Queens album along with Dave Grohl.

What? Ok, major rant disclaimer, but this needs to be said, because this news upsets me. The quality of the material QOTSA released has always been better without Nick in it. I know that opinion is marginally unpopular, but to me the band got better after Nick left. Dave Grohl's talent outside of his drumming is painfully overblown, and he doesn't belong there either. Hell, bring back Alfredo. Nothing will ever be as good as the two-man-ban lineup that recorded the Self Titled album. And besides, I think Nicks abilities are far better off with Kyuss (err, Vista Chino) even though he's stated that he no longer wants to be a part of hat project now. Shouldn't have left Kyuss Lives imo. This whole situation turns into more of a mess every time we hear an update about it. It's like the dick waving competition between Infernus and King and Gaahl, except it's way harder to pick sides. I love Josh to death as a musician, but he was really being a prick.

Turner wrote:
Why are these two bands such alternative darlings? Bar a handful of songs from each there's nothing really good about either of them.

And you can get the hell out of this thread.

jerk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:18 am 

Turner wrote:
Why are these two bands such alternative darlings? Bar a handful of songs from each there's nothing really good about either of them. And Garcia's vocals are TERRIBLE. Like a weak, out-of-key early 90s Hetfield.

Because Kyuss defined the sound of stoner metal and QOTSA defined the sound of stoner rock, how about that? And yeah, I'd say Garcia isn't the greatest vocalist, but could you imagine anyone else singing for Kyuss? No.

Anyway, back on topic. Put me down as "cautiously optimistic". I'm disappointed that I don't get to hear more Josh Homme riffs, and the dick-waving contest between Garcia and Homme (who I always did think was kind of an ass anyway) has got really annoying, but who knows, this could turn out great. Can't go wrong with some good ol'-fashioned stoner metal. I'll wait to hear a full new song before I pass judgement. But, seriously, "Vista Chino"? Stupid name.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:52 am 

i really enjoyed seeing garcia plays kyuss a couple years back. Definitely looking forward to the new album and hopefully another euro tour.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:53 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
In 2010, Kyuss reformed without guitarist Josh Homme (of QOTSA fame) under the moniker Kyuss Lives!. After a lawsuit launched by Josh and Scott Reader (former Kyuss bassist) a judge ruled that Kyuss Lives! could only use the name for live performances and not recordings, and suggested they start rebranding under a new name to avoid complications. Nick Oliveri, who was part of the reformation for a bit, is set to be on the new Queens album along with Dave Grohl (which should be awesome). Personally I'm glad they aren't performing under the Kyuss name anymore, I think they should let a good thing die peacefully. However, I'm psyched that they're performing together again and can't wait to see what they come up with.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... o-20121203
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh57fJ3msoI

Nice news, thanks!

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Somehow I've only heard Welcome To Sky Valley but I may still end up checking this out.

You should listen to all their discography.

IanThrash wrote:
meeh...in my book josh was a fundamental part of Kyuss sound and quality so im not expecting much from this. Anyway ill surely check it out.

Yes but... let's see.

analog_winter wrote:
cool to know that we'll see more from them, I saw Kyuss Lives! last year and they absolutely killed it, so I hope I have the chance to see them again

dreadmeat wrote:
i saw them [kyuss lives!] play over here, on fri 13th even, man that show was excellent, one of my favourite gigs ever.
i'd be stoked if they cam back and played again, under any moniker
all this suing and lawsuit carry on is bullshit, very sad bullshit.

tomcat_ha wrote:
i really enjoyed seeing garcia plays kyuss a couple years back. Definitely looking forward to the new album and hopefully another euro tour.

I have seen them 2 times and I REALLY enjoyed it! They closed the Hellfest some years ago playing Whitewater and I LOVE this song!

lord_ghengis wrote:
Vista Chino lol. The years have not improved their ways with words apparently. Not a huge amount of Kyuss in the band any more, and I'm more excited about Josh/Nick/Groll's QUOTSA, but I am always happy to hear more Garcia vocals.

Uhm... new QOTSA? Nice news too!

CF_Mono wrote:

LOL!

jerk wrote:
Because Kyuss defined the sound of stoner metal and QOTSA defined the sound of stoner rock, how about that? And yeah, I'd say Garcia isn't the greatest vocalist, but could you imagine anyone else singing for Kyuss? No.
Anyway, back on topic. Put me down as "cautiously optimistic". I'm disappointed that I don't get to hear more Josh Homme riffs, and the dick-waving contest between Garcia and Homme (who I always did think was kind of an ass anyway) has got really annoying, but who knows, this could turn out great. Can't go wrong with some good ol'-fashioned stoner metal. I'll wait to hear a full new song before I pass judgement. But, seriously, "Vista Chino"? Stupid name.

I agree.
P.S: Wasn't one Yawning Man album called Vista Point?!?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yawning_Ma ... recordings

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:50 am 

I feel I should be more excited for this than I actually am.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:43 am 

CF_Mono wrote:
dystopia4 wrote:
Nick Oliveri, who was part of the reformation for a bit, is set to be on the new Queens album along with Dave Grohl.

What? Ok, major rant disclaimer, but this needs to be said, because this news upsets me. The quality of the material QOTSA released has always been better without Nick in it. I know that opinion is marginally unpopular, but to me the band got better after Nick left. Dave Grohl's talent outside of his drumming is painfully overblown, and he doesn't belong there either. Hell, bring back Alfredo. Nothing will ever be as good as the two-man-ban lineup that recorded the Self Titled album. And besides, I think Nicks abilities are far better off with Kyuss (err, Vista Chino) even though he's stated that he no longer wants to be a part of hat project now. Shouldn't have left Kyuss Lives imo. This whole situation turns into more of a mess every time we hear an update about it. It's like the dick waving competition between Infernus and King and Gaahl, except it's way harder to pick sides. I love Josh to death as a musician, but he was really being a prick.

Turner wrote:
Why are these two bands such alternative darlings? Bar a handful of songs from each there's nothing really good about either of them.

Don't be too upset. Nick rejoined Kyuss Lives/Vista Chino after the name change and is only doing vocals on one song on the new QOTSA album.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:28 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:

Can't say I 100% agree with all of this. The first one definitely was one of their best, but Rated R and Songs for the Deaf are both just about perfect in my books. Songs for the Deaf is really heavy and badass, more so than a lot of traditional heavy metal. Rated R is really varied and unique. I think a lot of what makes these two albums so good is they both had multiple lead singers (Homme, Oliveri, Lannegan). The problem I have with Era Vulgaris and Them Crooked Vultures (don't get me wrong, both really good albums) is that they are kind of like the Josh Homme show. They are both good as Homme is a great songwriter, but I feel they could have been so much more if Lannegan and Oliveri did the lead vocals on a few tracks (or someone completely different for that matter). I think Them Crooked Vultures should get a second singer/guitar player, because right now they come off as very similar to QOTSA but with a strong 70s throwback vibe.

As for the Kyuss name change, I think it works. It feels like it could be a song title in "...And the Circus Leaves Town". They had tons of trashy song titles for that one and it fit the vibe. It's sleazy, but it fits their image.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:16 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
CF_Mono wrote:

Can't say I 100% agree with all of this. The first one definitely was one of their best, but Rated R and Songs for the Deaf are both just about perfect in my books. Songs for the Deaf is really heavy and badass, more so than a lot of traditional heavy metal. Rated R is really varied and unique. I think a lot of what makes these two albums so good is they both had multiple lead singers (Homme, Oliveri, Lannegan). The problem I have with Era Vulgaris and Them Crooked Vultures (don't get me wrong, both really good albums) is that they are kind of like the Josh Homme show. They are both good as Homme is a great songwriter, but I feel they could have been so much more if Lannegan and Oliveri did the lead vocals on a few tracks (or someone completely different for that matter). I think Them Crooked Vultures should get a second singer/guitar player, because right now they come off as very similar to QOTSA but with a strong 70s throwback vibe.

As for the Kyuss name change, I think it works. It feels like it could be a song title in "...And the Circus Leaves Town". They had tons of trashy song titles for that one and it fit the vibe. It's sleazy, but it fits their image.

I agree on the name change. The desert scene has always thrived on a slightly weird aesthetic. Vista Chino sounds nice and weird, especially because I knew a kid named chino in elementary school who was a riot.

I agree that Homme has taken over the show in some respects, but maybe I like that because I think he's such an excellent songwriter. Rated R was a mixed bag and SFTD had a few shining moments surrounded by a lot of simple and pop-y stuff. The repetitious nature worked for them when it was hypnotic jamming, not dull ordinary rock tracks. And dude, you completely forgot about Lullabies.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:40 am 

it sounds like something primus would come up with :lol:

raszh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:23 am 

New song:
http://soundcloud.com/vistachino

Glad that they can pull it off without Josh!

qTp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:04 pm 

raszh wrote:
New song:
http://soundcloud.com/vistachino

Glad that they can pull it off without Josh!

awesome!!

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:09 pm 

Dig the new name. Bring on the Vista Chino, you bastards.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:06 pm 

Pretty decent, great guitar tone and drumming. Not as good as the old stuff, but still solid. Only drawback is John's vocals sound a bit off.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:30 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
Pretty decent, great guitar tone and drumming. Not as good as the old stuff, but still solid. Only drawback is John's vocals sound a bit off.

Yeah, pretty much this. The vocals aren't as husky as they used to be but the guitars and drums are pretty decent. May still be looking into this.

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:52 am 

Pretty good song. Definitely looking forward to this.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:54 pm 

I don't quite like the new name. Garcia should've reconsidered a Slo Burn reunion instead of getting into all these shitty legal issues over the band name. Amusing the Amazing EP was so awesome.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:37 pm 

jerk wrote:
QOTSA defined the sound of stoner rock

Um, what? Stoner rock was around way before QOTSA.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:50 pm 

I was just scrolling around the Vista Chino Facebook page and happened to notice that their profile pic is apparently the cover of the new album titled Peace. No release date, we're just told that it's "coming soon".

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:52 pm 

Looks cool!

"You make it easy."

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:39 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
jerk wrote:
QOTSA defined the sound of stoner rock

Um, what? Stoner rock was around way before QOTSA.

Yes, this is true...but it's also like saying black metal was around before Mayhem and Dark Throne. It's probably more accurate and fair to say that Kyuss and Queens of the Stone Age were two of the most influential bands in that genre. I'm stoked for this; I was just saying how I miss Kyuss; I would really like to see SOME version of that band tour and record again. And Garcia's vocals always sounded good to me.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:50 am 

Interesting album cover, not sure how much I like the artwork, but I'm sure the album will be great. Kyuss Lives! was an excellent live band, I hope I get to see them again.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:03 am 

The cover art is absolutely horrible and I love it.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:02 pm 

There's another new song, Napalm Records posted it on their Soundcloud.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:30 pm 

Man, this new song is so good. The new guitarist really does sound like how Josh did back in the day. Not quite as good as old Kyuss, but still really damn sweet.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:53 pm 

Yeah, I'm buying this.

On a related note, is the new Queens Of The Stone Age worth getting?

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:58 pm 

I'd be willing to spend money on it, but honestly it's their worst album. I hate to say it, but it just doesn't work as well without the riffs. The tones and whatnot are great, but all in all, it doesn't compare to the band's best work. Also, they have all these cool collaborators and you can barely tell that they're even there.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:27 am 

So, uh, the track listing is here on the archives. Wish somebody had posted them in the thread when they found out :lol:. Good Morning Wasteland and Acidize? The Gambling Moose sound the most interesting, though the others still sound very Kyuss-y. No release date as of yet, it would seem, but this is still going to be a day-one purchase for me.

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:31 pm 

LlamaTrainer wrote:
So, uh, the track listing is here on the archives. Wish somebody had posted them in the thread when they found out :lol:. Good Morning Wasteland and Acidize? The Gambling Moose sound the most interesting, though the others still sound very Kyuss-y. No release date as of yet, it would seem, but this is still going to be a day-one purchase for me.

Why are they still registered as Kyuss? Shouldn't there should be a name change and this album be on a new page?

Tbh, aside from Welcome to Sky Valley, I don't think this band is all to stellar. Stoner Metal has evolved way too far for a new guy like to enjoy older stuff like this I guess. Same reason why some people enjoy Mayhem but couldn't get into Venom I presume.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:46 pm 

ScratchMyBack wrote:
Why are they still registered as Kyuss? Shouldn't there should be a name change and this album be on a new page?

Tbh, aside from Welcome to Sky Valley, I don't think this band is all to stellar. Stoner Metal has evolved way too far for a new guy like to enjoy older stuff like this I guess. Same reason why some people enjoy Mayhem but couldn't get into Venom I presume.

Yeah, it's really weird that it's put under Kyuss, in other cases where bands changed their name the new album was listed under the new name.

Honestly, I think that thinking of Kyuss only as "stoner metal" is kind off. They certainly have had a huge effect on stoner metal (and rock) but I mostly think of them as a really heavy psychedelic rock band with a high focus on riffs and songwriting. It lacks some of the fundamental tropes of the stoner metal genre such as the big bouncy riffs.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:53 pm 

Adding the album to the Kyuss page is of course wrong and has been removed by now. Some users don't use their brains. There'll be a seperate page for Vista Chino once the album has been released, if it's metal at all in the first place.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:11 pm 

Yeah, I'm buying this.

Totally, great album albeit not as a immediate and heavy as the others, it's a grower really.

I have yet to hear the Vista Chino album but fail to the guy who added it to the MA page.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:26 pm 

ScratchMyBack wrote:
Stoner Metal has evolved way too far for a new guy like to enjoy older stuff like this I guess. Same reason why some people enjoy Mayhem but couldn't get into Venom I presume.

...What the hell are you smoking? If anything it's the other way around, most people who get into underground music are introduced through older bands and "classics".

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:47 pm 

I dunno, I heard Deicide and Cryptopsy before Death, I don't think its all that unusual. Hell these days I.specifically avoid originators of styles because I tend to find the more fully developed acts of any given genre better than the first steps.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next