Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LordTool
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:58 pm 

ravagingthemassacred wrote:
I am really craving something like Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction. Warning do nothing for me, 40 Watt Sun are meh. Can anyone recommend something perhaps lesser known than what people usually suggest for Pallbearer fans??

The River for the emotion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke7B0zNiDE8

Isole for the slow epic side http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orsrfmnqyj4

Rituals of the Oak is a mellow melodic doom thing that might tickle you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na62KRSSjEk

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:02 pm 

Maybe The River? I don't really like them but they got this sleepy time doom vibe (love that term, Jonpo). There's many trad doom bands evolving in a more atmospheric background, stuff like Age of Taurus, Black Magician, Garden of Worm or even Pilgrim.

damnit, got beaten for The River.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:34 pm 

Thanks, I think it came up when Jeremy and I were talking about these sorts of bands but I'm not 100%. Whatever the origin I think it's apt, and it's definitely not for me.

Anyone heard the new The Wizar'd? How does it hold up to the masterpiece Pathways? I'm still waiting on the CD version.

ravagingthemassacred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:54 pm 

I appreciate the recs guys! My computer is currently being stupid and I'm unable to get on Youtube, but I am eager to check out what's been named. Isole, The River, and Garden of Worm look especially interesting going by their MA pages. Also...Rituals of the Oak's band photo cracked me up. Reminds me of Korn or something.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:25 pm 

I'd agree with the mentions of The River, Isole and Rituals of the Oak for the sleepy time doom stuff and throw in a song or two at least by Unsilence. Check out The Last Day. Be aware that not all of the songs on the album are quite the same as that, musically - some possessing a more death/doom feeling almost, instrumentally.

Jonpo wrote:
Anyone heard the new The Wizar'd? How does it hold up to the masterpiece Pathways? I'm still waiting on the CD version.

I'm still waiting, too. The three songs that are on youtube (two of which have been there for ages) sound fantastic, though. It adds a more epic edge onto the Pathways formula and works really, really well. It's a more mature offering in the best way possible, going off of those songs. Something like that.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:44 pm 

Solitude Aeturnus just clicked for me, Through the Darkest Hour is just perfect! It's the only album of theirs I have, but they all have top reviews on here. Should I just get them all?

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:06 am 

Opus wrote:
Solitude Aeturnus just clicked for me, Through the Darkest Hour is just perfect! It's the only album of theirs I have, but they all have top reviews on here. Should I just get them all?

Through The Darkest Hour is their best album. The first 2 albums are great and the 3 that follow are very good too, except Adagio which is a bit too long and monotonous but stilll has some good moments.

I would suggest getting the first albums asap. After you're done with those listen to Downfall or Alone, and if you like it get hands on the remaining.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:17 am 

ravagingthemassacred wrote:
I am really craving something like Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction. Warning do nothing for me, 40 Watt Sun are meh. Can anyone recommend something perhaps lesser known than what people usually suggest for Pallbearer fans??

Griftegard maybe? Very similar to Pallbearer in terms of pace (kinda funeral doom/drone tinged) and atmosphere.

Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:40 pm 

Kind of a random request. Is there any western-themed doom and/ or sludge worth checking out? Does it exist? Any recommendation, whether it be albums or just songs, would be greatly appreciated.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:58 am 

Well, both Spiritus Mortis and Lord Vicar wrote great songs based on A Man Called Horse. Vow to the Sun and A Man Called Horse.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:32 pm 

Allright guys, I'm in a mood. I want really good, quality Sabbath worship, basically. I know quite a few of these bands and yet somehow at this particular point in time I just want more. I'm not looking for slow stuff, or "sleepytime doom" as Jonpo so eloquently put it a few posts back. Basically I want "good time doom" that's not so much on the "stoner" end of things. Vocalist can certainly have an original approach, but right now I am feeling rather magnanamous toward ozzy clones. More up-tempo songs are good, lots of groove as well as influence from the best period of Black Sabbath, Sabbath Blood Sabbath and Sabotage. Here are some bands I know and listen to already that exactly fit the bill, so please, something along the lines of:
Orchid
Iron Man
Sheavy
Trouble (especially the 90s stuff)
Orange Goblin (not nuts about the vocals but the music usually really works)
Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats (sort of...)
Hour of 13
Upwards of Endtime
Cathedral (especially The Carnival Bizarre, really.
Ogre
AgainstNature (moreso than Revelation, who are a bit slow and miserable...)
Count Raven (a bit sleepytime, but I'm putting them in here because every once in a while they hit that particular spot)
Valhall
Witchfinder General

Weeeellll???
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Last edited by Abominatrix on Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:55 pm 

JM, have you checked out Hour of 13, specifically The Ritualist? It's not exactly Sabbath worship, I'd say it's consistently darker/more evil than that, but the riffs are HUGELY rocking. Big inspiration from Sabbath, Lizzy, and I swear there are Skynyrd-esque lead fills sprinkled in there.

And you already know Swanson has that voice...

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:06 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
JM, have you checked out Hour of 13, specifically The Ritualist? It's not exactly Sabbath worship, I'd say it's consistently darker/more evil than that, but the riffs are HUGELY rocking. Big inspiration from Sabbath, Lizzy, and I swear there are Skynyrd-esque lead fills sprinkled in there.

And you already know Swanson has that voice...

OH yeah, I should have mentioned them really, and Upwards of Endtime as well. Definitely fits the bill because of that rocking vibe they have going on. BTW< I saw you mention the 333 album lately; I could be wrong but I am pretty sure Swanson still sings on that!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:41 pm 

No you're right, 333 is going to be his last album with the band. Swanson and Chad have never gotten along from what I understand so I get wanting to break off and move forward without him. I'm just nervous about what they'll sound like.

What about the Bedemon compilation, Child of Darkness? I find it a little too much listening to the whole comp in one sitting but I think you could pick and choose and come away with an incredible album. Liebling on vocals so you know there's no issues there. Plus it's just got the most horrid basement 4-tracker production...really beautiful stuff and what I would call unabashed Sabbath worship. I figure you've probably heard it but maybe it didn't stick then.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:47 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
No you're right, 333 is going to be his last album with the band. Swanson and Chad have never gotten along from what I understand so I get wanting to break off and move forward without him. I'm just nervous about what they'll sound like.

Oh yeah, a funny thing; you were talking about the band and their lyrics, and I think it was Phil who wanted some pretty graphic pictures in the insert of their S/T album, and Shadow Kingdom wouldn't do it, so that's why they parted ways way back then. At least I think that was half the reason...

Quote:

What about the Bedemon compilation, Child of Darkness? I find it a little too much listening to the whole comp in one sitting but I think you could pick and choose and come away with an incredible album. Liebling on vocals so you know there's no issues there. Plus it's just got the most horrid basement 4-tracker production...really beautiful stuff and what I would call unabashed Sabbath worship. I figure you've probably heard it but maybe it didn't stick then.

You know, it actually didn't stick. It's funny that I have no problem with the rehearsal-ish sound of many of the pentagram tracks on the second First Dyas Here compliation but for some reason that basementish sound on Bedemon just didn't please me to listen to. maybe a part of it is indeed that the thing is so long. Hard to say, really, but I wasn't really into it. Maybe I'll give another go, though.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:57 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Allright guys, I'm in a mood. I want really good, quality Sabbath worship, basically. I know quite a few of these bands and yet somehow at this particular point in time I just want more. I'm not looking for slow stuff, or "sleepytime doom" as Jonpo so eloquently put it a few posts back. Basically I want "good time doom" that's not so much on the "stoner" end of things. Vocalist can certainly have an original approach, but right now I am feeling rather magnanamous toward ozzy clones. More up-tempo songs are good, lots of groove as well as influence from the best period of Black Sabbath, Sabbath Blood Sabbath and Sabotage. Here are some bands I know and listen to already that exactly fit the bill, so please, something along the lines of:
Orchid
Iron Man
Sheavy
Hour of 13
Upwards of Endtime
Ogre
Count Raven (a bit sleepytime, but I'm putting them in here because every once in a while they hit that particular spot)
Valhall
Witchfinder General

Weeeellll???

Maligno maybe?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:58 pm 

Yeah that's kind of my fear, aside from losing Phils voice which is one of my favorites, I'm also worried that he's going to take some edge away with him. I wish they had let him dictate the imagery for 333, the cover art is literally the reason I haven't picked it up yet. Some bullshit computerized looking skull..no thank you.

I bet your aversion to Bedemon's comp has something to do with the fact that Liebling sounds pasted right over the top after the fact. And for good reason, because that's pretty much exactly what happened. I think it could sap some of that "live energy" that usually comes with a basement sound.

I'll keep an eye on my collection but I think we've pretty much heard all the same stuff at this point. Just keep spinning Witchfinder General over and over!!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:01 pm 

You should check out Black Magician, Abom. Huge Cathedral vibe! Good call with Bedemon, Jonpoo, check out their newest full length Symphony of Shadows, good stuff.

You probably heard Blood Farmers but I really like their weird take on trad doom, check them out if you haven't.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:04 am 

Any fans of Badr Vogu here? I got to see them with Witchaven last night and hang out at the after party- way cool guys I highly recommend them.

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:01 am 

Looking for sludge that's closer to powerviolence than doom along the lines of Adolf Satan.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:54 am 

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Looking for sludge that's closer to powerviolence than doom along the lines of Adolf Satan.

I don't know Adolf Satan, but there's a great band from my neck of the woods called Lich, who play insanely heavy sludgey hardcore/metal. They often get classed as powerviolence, but that's not a genre I know much about. They may be of interest.

http://lich.bandcamp.com/album/split-12 ... ectionists

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:46 am 

balbulus wrote:
TheDefiniteArticle wrote:

I don't know Adolf Satan, but there's a great band from my neck of the woods called Lich, who play insanely heavy sludgey hardcore/metal. They often get classed as powerviolence, but that's not a genre I know much about. They may be of interest.

Neon Hole crosses grindcore and sludge pretty effectively though they're heavier on the grind side of things, give them a shot as well, you might dig it.
http://neonhole.bandcamp.com/album/neon ... plit-7inch

Abominatrix wrote:
Allright guys, I'm in a mood. I want really good, quality Sabbath worship...

Here's a few bands I haven't seen mentioned that aren't a perfect fit but that have qualities I think you'll dig...

Windhand - This may be a bit sleepy for you... maybe not. Has more to do with Sabbath's earlier records imo. Killer band.
http://windhandva.bandcamp.com/album/windhand

Stone Titan - Suuuuper heavy... may not actually have that much to do with Sabbath but it rules and stays pretty up tempo. Is also slightly "stonerish" but not overtly so.
http://stonetitan.bandcamp.com/album/scratch-n-sniff

Annihilation Time - This isn't actually doom but the Iommi influence, specifically from the Sabotage era, is undeniable in the riffs and this album is a fucking banger front to back.
http://downloads.tankcrimes.com/album/ii
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:23 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Orchid
Iron Man
Sheavy
Hour of 13
Upwards of Endtime
Ogre
AgainstNature (moreso than Revelation, who are a bit slow and miserable...)
Valhall
Witchfinder General

Weeeellll???

Dantesco, Devil, Magic Circle, Vestal Claret, Age Of Taurus, Devil, Stone Magnum, Sinister Realm.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:34 am 

Abom, have you listened to Lamp of Thoth? Do check out "Portents, Omens and Doom". Really enjoy the album and I don't think I'd regard them as sleepytimedoom (ha!).

Grindcoremaniac135
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:54 am 

Anyone knows some bands like SunnO))) ?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:56 pm 

Grindcoremaniac135 wrote:

You could perhaps skim through the drone rec thread. You'll find plenty of similar artists mentioned there.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:17 pm 

iAm wrote:
Any fans of Badr Vogu here? I got to see them with Witchaven last night and hang out at the after party- way cool guys I highly recommend them.

Yeah, pretty cool band.

trace6x
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:23 pm 

Grindcoremaniac135 wrote:

Earth, I find drone pretty boring aside from the 'holy shit this is loud' factor

Juanzero
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:59 pm 

Can someone recommend me a doom metal band with a lot of hipnotic riffs like in this song from Connan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPoIlknNd5o

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:33 pm 

Anyone knows any Acid Bath worship band

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:12 am 

I'm looking for doom metal, not the extreme kind, with heavily downtuned guitars. KYPCK is one such band, although I'm not that fond of their music. :lol: The riffs ought to be a more central element, and the should make good use of the low tuning.

No sludge or nothing overly stoner-like. I enjoy some good stoner, but it's not what I'm looking for.

Black Magician is a great one musically. Sound-wise, I'd appreciate bigger tone from the guitars.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:49 pm 

Have you heard The Wounded Kings? I'm not as fond of their most recent album, but the first and especially the second album were really good. Try this:

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

taufan99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:21 am 

Currently looking to bands very similar to A Waste of Talent that mixes the heaviness and slowness of doom metal with groovy riffs of groove metal. Oh also, sludge metal with interchanging speed of riffs in some occasional times.

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:14 pm 

Well, for sludge metal theres EyeHateGod, they often burst into hardcore punk esque sections

taufan99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:48 am 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:
Well, for sludge metal theres EyeHateGod, they often burst into hardcore punk esque sections

No, I mean, other bands besides Eyehategod.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:05 am 

taufan99 wrote:
... sludge metal with interchanging speed of riffs in some occasional times.

Maybe Lich? Noisy sludge metal with elements of powerviolence and hardcore. May not be what you're looking for, but what the hell.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:27 am 

iamntbatman: Thanks, very good first impressions. The guitar tone is quite heavy indeed!

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:13 am 

balbulus wrote:
Maybe Lich? Noisy sludge metal with elements of powerviolence and hardcore. May not be what you're looking for, but what the hell.

That ruled, thanks!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:43 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
iamntbatman: Thanks, very good first impressions. The guitar tone is quite heavy indeed!

Cool, I figured you'd like 'em. The guitar tone is totally huge (that YouTube video doesn't do it justice, of course) but they definitely have a more occult feel than something that's colder and more industrial-sounding like KYPCK.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:16 am 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:
Anyone knows any Acid Bath worship band

Boudain

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 133  Next