Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
stevo0914
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:31 pm 

Quote:
NORTH AMERICAN HEADLINING TOUR ANNOUNCED!

After several sold-out shows last year on their inaugural North American co-headlining tour with ELUVEITIE, Finnish epic metallers WINTERSUN will return to North American shores once again for a headlining tour this August/September sponsored by MetalSucks! Joining them are Italian symphonic death metal champions FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE, melodic tech-death kings ARSIS and up-and-comers STARKILL.

"We're thrilled to return to North America for a full-scale headliner tour in August and September! It will be our first longer own headlining tour ever and this time, without any setlist length limitations, we'll be able to offer the North American crowds a special show - representing both the Wintersun and TIME I albums. There might also be some surprises in the setlist as well... We are really looking forward to sharing the live magic with YOU, all the fans out there!" Kai, Jari, Teemu & Jukka

WINTERSUN
FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE
ARSIS
STARKILL

06.08.2013 US Silver Spring, MD - The Fillmore
07.08.2013 US Philadelphia, PA - Theater of Living Arts
08.08.2013 US New York, NY - Irving Plaza
09.08.2013 US Boston, MA - The Sinclair
10.08.2013 CA Montreal, QC - HEAVY MTL*
11.08.2013 CA Toronto, ON - The Opera House
13.08.2013 US Cincinnati, OH - Bogart's
14.08.2013 US Cleveland, OH - House of Blues
15.08.2013 US Chicago, IL - House of Blues
16.08.2013 US Detroit, MI - St. Andrew's Hall
17.08.2013 US St. Paul, MN - Station 4
18.08.2013 CA Winnipeg, MB - Park Theatre
19.08.2013 CA Regina, SK - Riddell Center @ UoR
20.08.2013 CA Edmonton, AB - The Starlite Room
21.08.2013 CA Vancouver, BC - Rickshaw Theater
23.08.2013 US Seattle, WA - Studio Seven
24.08.2013 US Portland, OR - Hawthorne Theater
25.08.2013 US San Francisco, CA - DNA Lounge
26.08.2013 US West Hollywood, CA - House of Blues
27.08.2013 US Anaheim, CA - House of Blues
28.08.2013 US San Diego, CA - House of Blues
29.08.2013 US Tempe, AZ - Joe's Grotto
31.08.2013 US Dallas, TX - House of Blues
01.09.2013 US Houston, TX - House of Blues
03.09.2013 US Fort Lauderdale, FL - Revolution
04.09.2013 US Orlando, FL - House of Blues
05.09.2013 US Atlanta, GA - The Masquerade
06.09.2013 US Charlotte, NC - The Fillmore
*Wintersun only

Tickets will go on-sale on Wednesday, June 5th at 10:00 am local time via TicketMaster, Live-Nation, and venue ticketing services. Additional tickets will be available via any other outlets on Friday, June 7th at 10:00 am local time.

WINTERSUN scanned 3,870 copies of their new album TIME I in its first week of sales in the United States according to Nielsen SoundScan. The album debuted at No. 109 on the US Billboard Top 200 chart, making it their highest first week sales yet! TIME I was released on October 22, 2012 in North America via Nuclear Blast.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:26 pm 

I saw them in the winter with Eluveitie. Didn't really care much for any of the bands, (though I do like Wintersun a bit) but my friend who I went with loves them so it was a good time. Better lineup this time. I might go to the Boston date if nothing gets in the way.

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:55 am 

Holy shit... Wintersun, Fleshgod Apocalypse, AND Arsis all on one date? I'll be getting tickets as soon as possible.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:16 am 

Probably the most excited I've ever been for a tour (though I've only gone to around a dozen).

Wintersun is a great band and although I haven't gotten into them as much as I could have (which could change in the next 3 months), I'm still excited to see them.

Fleshgod Apocalypse is easily one of my favorite bands. I had to miss them last year in August because they only played in my school city which I wasn't in because it was summer. Not missing them this time. I only hope they play at least one song off of Mafia. Agony is my favorite but I already know half their set will be from it.

Arsis is awesome. Been a fan ever since I heard them on a rock band song (We Are the Nightmare, a title track which is off my favorite Arsis album). Their new album is awesome as well. I saw them live on the Krisiun tour less than a month ago. That performance was kind of soured though because I couldn't get to the stage (instead a bunch of tools who were standing still and didn't know the songs were at the front) and I kept getting hit in the back from annoying moshers.

Starkill is also pretty rad. I saw them on that same Krisiun/Arsis tour. Got a shirt and a CD.

Only problem with this tour is I've pretty lost most excitement for any shows up until then.

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:37 am 

I'm extremely stoked about this tour. Wintersun is awesome, and it will be great to hear them play a longer set (without any limitations, eh? Wonder how long this will actually be XD). I like Fleshgod Apocalypse a lot; what they do with classical piano is pretty neat. Arsis is probably the weakest draw on this lineup for me - which is not to say I don't like them, they're just not as exciting as the others. The band I'm most excited to see is Starkill. I heard them on a sampler cd for New England Metal and Hardcore Fest and couldn't believe that a mainstream US festival was featuring such an epic, melodic band. They didn't come to my area with Krisiun, so I was pretty bummed thinking I wouldn't get to see them. But now Wintersun is taking them out! I can't wait, I think this is gonna be a great show. And I'm going to see them on the first night of the tour :D

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:18 am 

talvikki77 wrote:
I'm extremely stoked about this tour. Wintersun is awesome, and it will be great to hear them play a longer set (without any limitations, eh? Wonder how long this will actually be XD). I like Fleshgod Apocalypse a lot; what they do with classical piano is pretty neat. Arsis is probably the weakest draw on this lineup for me - which is not to say I don't like them, they're just not as exciting as the others. The band I'm most excited to see is Starkill. I heard them on a sampler cd for New England Metal and Hardcore Fest and couldn't believe that a mainstream US festival was featuring such an epic, melodic band. They didn't come to my area with Krisiun, so I was pretty bummed thinking I wouldn't get to see them. But now Wintersun is taking them out! I can't wait, I think this is gonna be a great show. And I'm going to see them on the first night of the tour :D

Just in case you don't know, since you're so excited about Starkill, check out Massakren. That's the name Starkill went as before changing their name. A couple of their live songs are Massakren songs. Starkill's 'Fires of Life' CD has I think 6 rerecorded Massakren songs.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:58 am 

Going to see them next month in san fran, this should be awesome.

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:18 am 

Totally gonna be there, anyone else going for the Toronto date?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:08 pm 

I'll be at the Chicago show, for real this time, I already got my ticket a couple of weeks ago.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:21 pm 

Only 8 Houses of Blues? These guys are slacking.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:29 pm 

They gave a quick update. Their setlist on this tour will compose of a new song off Time II (you can find a live version on youtube), all of Time I, and the "best" songs off of their debut.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:11 pm 

That's right around the end of summer quarter. That would make a fine end of quarter celebration.

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:56 pm 

Indecency wrote:
Just in case you don't know, since you're so excited about Starkill, check out Massakren. That's the name Starkill went as before changing their name. A couple of their live songs are Massakren songs. Starkill's 'Fires of Life' CD has I think 6 rerecorded Massakren songs.

Oh, yeah, haha, I just found that out today on youtube (and I haven't been to this thread for a while..) I wonder why they saw the need to remake themselves with a new name and new image (losing the corpsepaint) since their music didn't change - at least not much, from the few Massakren songs I heard.

Indecency wrote:
They gave a quick update. Their setlist on this tour will compose of a new song off Time II (you can find a live version on youtube), all of Time I, and the "best" songs off of their debut.

I thought they're playing all of Time I and the debut. Well, that's what DCHeavyMetal says :P http://dcheavymetal.com/2013/07/29/wintersun-ticket-give-away/ I suppose if Wintersun themselves says something different, they're probably right :P

I saw them perform that new song at Tuska Fest (Helsinki) a couple years ago :) There's a video (not shot by me though) here http://youtu.be/9UGe2GUGB4o There was also a huge wall of death at that show XD

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:43 am 

I think Starkill had a name change because their image changed and because they wanted to have properly mixed/recorded versions of their songs that they were proud of. If you look a the MA page, they even went by another name before changing to Massakren. Definitely look into the Massakren EP as they play live songs from it.

Wintersun's initial plan through a poll was either both albums entirely or Time I entirely, all but one song off debut, and a new one. I saw a post on reddit from someone saying they were playing both albums and the new one but I didn't believe it since the source they gave had no proof. Sure enough when Wintersun updated, they said what I paraphrased in my earlier post. The only question is which are the 'best' songs off the debut? I guess I'll keep listening to them all!

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:37 pm 

Yeah, I suppose the new look and name fits better with the "epic metal" image, while the old name and corpse paint and such has a more blackened death metal feel. Still, plenty of bands change direction drastically without changing their name. Maybe the label just thought it was a good marketing idea. I guess until some interviewer asks Starkill that question, we won't know for sure :P Well, I need to see if Spotify has their EP. Not much from it on youtube.

Ah, ok. I haven't quite been keeping my ear to Wintersun's page, got my info from secondhand sources, which were wrong it seems. Indeed, I wonder which song they'll drop? Hope it's not "Winter Madness" or "Death and the Healing" or "Beautiful Death"...I could go on until I named all the songs on the album so I'll stop there :P

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:39 pm 

Well I figure when I see them I could try to ask. I bought their CD when I first saw them and I want to get it signed so I'm sure I'll talk to at least one of them.

I think only 1 dropped song was the initial plan. It sounds now like they are going to drop probably 2 or 3. My guess is Beautiful Death and Sleeping Stars based on this: http://www.setlist.fm/stats/wintersun-5bd68314.html . As long as they play Beyond the Dark Sun and Battle Against Time, I'll be content.

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:06 am 

Now there's an idea. I'm usually better at talking to obscure bands - cause there isn't any competition for their attention - but if for some reason no one else is trying to talk to Starkill, I'd probably say hi, and probably wouldn't be able to resist bugging them with a question like that.

Aw, no, not "Beautiful Death"! Well, none of their songs are bad, so I'd still be content I think. I mean, almost two whole albums is a lot of songs, or at least a lot of playing time since they are lengthy Wintersun songs. I don't usually like to look at setlists ahead of time since I like to be surprised, but if you're of the opposite mindset, I can let you know what they play at the Baltimore date. Next week! Gahh! So excited! I have to go to Black Sabbath on Friday and I'm just gonna be wishing it was the Wintersun show already, hah.

Oh, and Massakren is on Spotify, yes! I did recognize a couple songs from their EP as being on the Starkill album. Oddly, when I looked up Massakren was the first time (in three weeks using it) that Spotify gave me recommendations that were bands I'd never heard of. Apparently I don't listen to enough blackened death metal?

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:03 pm 

Yeah man, please do let me know what songs are played, I'd appreciate it a bunch! From all the bands, too!

I wouldn't call Massakren/Starkill blackened death metal really. I mean, they got a bit of black in them, but most of the 'blackened' is just that they have a keyboard playing in the harmonic minor scale. It sounds blacky but it's not really.

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:28 pm 

Ok, I'll do my best on Tuesday. I'm not great at remembering all the songs, but my bf does the whole setlist posting thing, so at worst I'll just link to his setlist :P

Yeah, Starkill is definitely more epic melodic death metal, although they do have that one song that sounds a lot like Behemoth. I think it's the first song on the album. (See how good I am at remembering song titles? :/ )

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:30 pm 

talvikki77 wrote:
Ok, I'll do my best on Tuesday. I'm not great at remembering all the songs, but my bf does the whole setlist posting thing, so at worst I'll just link to his setlist :P

Yeah, Starkill is definitely more epic melodic death metal, although they do have that one song that sounds a lot like Behemoth. I think it's the first song on the album. (See how good I am at remembering song titles? :/ )

Awseme, thanks! The setlists are all over the place with this show. Wintersun I could probably guess, but I might be off by a few songs. Fleshgod Apocalypse has been playing the same set over for a while now but their upcoming new album will change their set up a bit. Arsis hasn't had a 30min slot since their album Unwelcome came out so I don't know which songs they would drop in favor for Unwelcome songs. And Starkill... Well, on setlist.fm, I'm the only one to ever post a setlist for them, and it wasn't complete. Really try to get the Starkill setlist as that's the one I have the least idea about.

I think the song you mean is Whispers of Heresy (since it's the first off the album). One of the good tracks for sure. Fires of Life and New Infernal Rebirth are both good ones as well.

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:03 am 

Yeah, that was the one I meant. I studied up on Starkill and some of Fleshgod Apocalypse yesterday :P I like "Fires of Life" and "New Infernal Rebirth," too, although it might be cause I've heard them more often, since they've been up on youtube for a while. I also hope they play "Sword, Spear, Blood, Fire." Will be interesting to see what they play and how the crowd reacts. We're going to try to get there early to hear a local band, so it's gonna be a long night, but it should be epic. So excited! Don't know how I'll focus at work today :P

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:05 pm 

talvikki77 wrote:
Yeah, that was the one I meant. I studied up on Starkill and some of Fleshgod Apocalypse yesterday :P I like "Fires of Life" and "New Infernal Rebirth," too, although it might be cause I've heard them more often, since they've been up on youtube for a while. I also hope they play "Sword, Spear, Blood, Fire." Will be interesting to see what they play and how the crowd reacts. We're going to try to get there early to hear a local band, so it's gonna be a long night, but it should be epic. So excited! Don't know how I'll focus at work today :P

Well I think you're in luck for Sword, Spear, Blood, Fire, that's one they like to play and I'm guessing they still will.

The only reason why I'm not totally distracted because of this tour is I got two other shows (Misery Signals and Crimson Shadows) before it. However, when it was first announced, I did skip an Intronaut tour and Skeletonwitch tour since I wasn't interested in them anymore.

Have fun!

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:30 am 

I saw the opening date of this tour in Baltimore tonight. For some reason, it seems like a lot of tours have had their first stop in MD lately, or at least a lot of the ones that I've seen.

Starkill was meh. Vocals blew, and they overpowered everything else. Also, about half of their sound came from the backing track, which is pretty lame in my opinion. There was one part where it sounded like a sweep-picking lead guitar was part of the backing track... come on now.

Arsis was spectacular, though I felt like they didn't play long at all. They only played 6 songs, and Arsis is not known for having longer songs, so it felt like nothing. The crowd went wild for them.

I honestly don't have much of an opinion on Fleshgod Apocalypse. I wasn't that familiar with them before going to the concert, and honestly I was just too tired from Arsis to really get into them. They did have a pretty good schtick, though they did have balancing problems with the female vocalist and occasionally other instruments. I enjoyed their vocalist's pronunciation: "YOU MUDDAFUCKAS!"

Wintersun was... perfect. So perfect that it seems too good to be true. I could not catch one mistake. They are easily the best band that I have ever seen live. Jari's vocals and guitar playing were spot on, along with the rest of the band. I don't know how the hell he pulled it off, there wasn't a bum note anywhere, sung or otherwise. Not even any intonation problems with singing... They played most of their songs, and even threw in a new one from Time II, which honestly just sounded like your standard Wintersun affair.

Even if you don't like the rest of the bands, go for Wintersun. You won't regret it.

Last edited by XcKyle93 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:15 am 

Setlist spoilers ;)

Spoiler: show
Starkill (100% accurate)
New Infernal Rebirth
Immortal Hunt
Fires of Life
Below the Darkest Depths
Wash Away the Blood with Rain

Arsis (got 3 out of 6 songs, I can't tell most Arsis songs apart)
Seven Whispers Fell Silent
Unwelcome
Face of my Innocence

Fleshgod Apocalypse (I think first song is the only one I didn't get)
?
Minotaur (The Wrath of Poseidon)
The Deceit
The Violation
The Egoism
Elegy
The Forsaking

Wintersun (Might be out of order, but these are the songs they played)
When Time Fades Away (Intro)
Sons of Winter and Stars
Land of Snow and Sorrow
Beautiful Death
Darkness and Frost/Time
Death and the Healing
Winter madness
Beyond the Dark Sun
The Way of the Fire
Starchild

Sorry, no Battle Against Time :( Some of my friends were disappointed about that. I kinda would have wanted to hear Sleeping Stars.

Hey, Kyle! I didn't realize someone else was going to the Baltimore show, or I would have tried to meet up :) Well, if you saw a girl with long hair in a Paganfest shirt, that was me :P Btw, if you happen to remember what Arsis played, could you see if you can fill in the gaps in my setlist? I like them, but I can only recognize a couple of their songs, so I was only able to name the ones where they said the song name.

I had an amazing time. Local band March to Victory kicked off the night with some solid groovy death metal. Fallen Martyr, the second local opener, was all right. I don't dig their vocals but they have some nice guitar work. Starkill started off a little weak, and like Kyle said, the vocals were too loud, but they fixed the sound during the second song and after that they were awesome, if still not as loud as the rest of the bands. Arsis killed - there was not a weak or boring moment in their set. Fleshgod Apocalypse was great, too. They had an actual piano with them, which I don't remember if they had last time I saw them, and their sound was much bigger than before. They played a couple new songs, which had more of the operatic backing vocals than Agony. Wintersun blew me away. I was practically in tears on a couple songs. Like Kyle said, they were flawless, and amazing.

I'll write a full review later, need to run some errands now. Hope everyone else enjoys this tour as much as I did!

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:05 pm 

No "Time" or "Battle Against Time" .. WHAT?

EDIT : Ohhhh didn't see that you put Time with Darkness and Frost .. "Darkness and Frost/Time" My bad :P - still, Battle Against Time is their best song!

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:12 pm 

Hey tal,
These were the Arsis songs that were played:

Handbook for the Recently Deceased
A Diamond For Disease (first few minutes)
Seven Whispers Fell Silent
Unwelcome
Carve My Cross
The Face of My Innocence

The 2nd and 3rd ones may be mixed up, I don't remember. Also, I thought it was pretty interesting how they only played their really early stuff and their latest stuff, no in between! I would have liked a song from We Are The Nightmare (which I mistakenly thought Seven Whisper Fell Silent was from at first).

And yeah, that would have been cool. Perhaps you saw me: I had my UMD Metal Club shit on, which has a badass-looking turtle. Also, I got Wintersun's drummer's 2nd drumstick :).

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:30 pm 

Thanks a bunch Talvikki! I wonder if we can guess the missing Fleshgod Apocalypse song? Was it a symphonic song possibly with an intro? If so, I can almost guarantee it was "The Hypocrisy" with the intro "Temptation". Or was it not Symphonic? If not, it was probably "Thru Our Scars", "Requiem in SI Minore", or "In Honour of Reason". Everything else seems to be complete!

It's really too bad that Arsis isn't playing anything from 'We Are the Nightmare' (the title track and Servants to the Night are awesome songs), Fleshgod Apocalypse isn't playing anything from 'Mafia' (like 'Thru Our Scars'), and Wintersun isn't playing 'Battle Against Time'. Still awesome sets, but those 3 are bands are all skipping my favorite song by each of them.

When this show comes around for me on the 20th, I can fill in any setlist holes that might still be there since I know all of these bands very well. Come back here if you want to know. I may also write a review since this seems to be a popular tour.

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:06 pm 

@Commandaunt: Yeah, I couldn't really see listing "Darkness and Frost" as its own song - I see it as the intro of "Time." Maybe if I listed it as Darkness and Frost - Time it would be easier to see..

@Kyle: Thanks! I don't think I saw you, but there were sooo many people there. Perhaps we'll meet up at another show. Lucky you catching the drumstick!

@Indecency: Sorry, I have no recollection. It was such a long night. I'll give those songs a listen, though, and see if they sound familiar. (Edit: I think it may have been "The Hypocrisy" - I think I remember those high-pitched vocals in the chorus - but I may be wrong. I feel like their symphonics and piano were a little low for the whole set, so can't recall for sure whether the first song was symphonic.)

My bf and I wanted to hear "Forced to Rock" but it seems Arsis never plays that song XD We've seen them three times now - including headlining - and they haven't played it.

I'm still working on my review. I thought having the setlists might make it easier, but my head seems filled with fuzz and is only producing boring, uninformative words like "awesome" and "amazing." Maybe I'm just exhausted; it was a late night, had an early(ish) morning and no chance for a nap today.

I did ask Starkill about their name. At first I was too shy/didn't want to take up their time when other people were waiting, but at the end of the show, people were taking their sweet time leaving, so I wandered over and really awkwardly asked the guy at their table - I think it was Mike. He said they changed their name (and cleaned off the corpsepaint) to fit their sound better. People were labeling them as a black metal band, and they wanted to get away from that, since their sound really only has a little black metal.

Oh, and Fleshgod Apocalypse was selling their new album, so we got it, mwahaha. It sounds good. Was too tired to make any deeper observations about it as we drove home last night.

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:32 am 

talvikki77 wrote:
@Indecency: Sorry, I have no recollection. It was such a long night. I'll give those songs a listen, though, and see if they sound familiar. (Edit: I think it may have been "The Hypocrisy" - I think I remember those high-pitched vocals in the chorus - but I may be wrong. I feel like their symphonics and piano were a little low for the whole set, so can't recall for sure whether the first song was symphonic.)

I just got back from the Philly date, and yeah, they opened the set with Temptation, then they went into The Hypocrisy. And the piano/symphonics were a little low over here too.

About their set list:
I was hoping they'd play at least one pre-Agony song, maybe Thru Our Scars and/or As Tyrants Fall, but... I guess not. :nono:

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:44 am 

Man, Thru Our Scars is my favorite song by them. 163 plays on iTunes and I know all the lyrics to it, as well as most of the drumming (though it's still too fast for me to drum). It's really too bad they stopped playing it live. I love Agony and it's my favorite Fleshgod release but I was rocking Thru Our Scars a while before Agony ever came out.

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:56 pm 

Finally finished my review. It felt even longer than writing about Mayhem Fest - probably wasn't, just more exhaustive. I think having the setlists actually tempted me into going way, waaay into detail. Dunno if that's good or bad. Anyway if anyone is interested my review is here. Forgot to include Starkill in the permalink - oops. Oh well, I mention them a zillion times in the review.

Dave_o_rama wrote:
I just got back from the Philly date, and yeah, they opened the set with Temptation, then they went into The Hypocrisy. And the piano/symphonics were a little low over here too.

Thanks Dave! I wish Fleshgod Apocalypse would get their mix right. Their use of classical piano is what I love them for, dammit.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:34 pm 

Turns out I bought a ticket for the SF gig whilst drunk and forgot all about it until it showed up the other day. This is the party that is my life.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:43 pm 

Just saw this 2 days ago in Toronto.

Starkill were alright. Not spectacular but they were decent. Arsis was amazing - for me, the band of the night. It was my 4th time seeing them and they never disappoint. I just wish they could play a longer set (also bought the guitar lesson with James and Brandon. Dream come true, and I already feel myself getting much better). Fleshgod was pretty cool too. 3rd time seeing them, and I'm not huge on them but they were good live.

Wintersun however... I made a thread about live shows and I'll just copy paste what I said there.

I've seen them twice (most recently a few days ago in Toronto), and one thing I must say is that the reason why I have been underwhelmed was not because of their setlist, their energy, nor their performance itself. They are a fun band to watch, they have great energy, and they never miss a beat. The reason why I was underwhelmed both times is because their sound is mixed terribly. They are WAY too bass heavy live, and some of their leads you can't hear and all of the notes and chords sort of blend into one ugly mash-up of a note that keeps booming. Now at the venue they played (The Opera House in Toronto), bands usually get butchered there pretty bad with the same problem (Dark Funeral and Alcest probably aren't supposed to sound like Disgorge and Yob, respectively, and no that's not an exaggeration), however Fleshgod Apocalypse played right before them and I saw them from the same point of the venue (the balcony) and their sound was great, and this leads me to believe that Wintersun just have shitty sound live. It's really disappointing, actually. The beginning of "Sons Of Winter And Stars" has such a beautiful lead, and all I heard was BVV-BVV-BVV-BVV-BVV-BVV-BVV-BVV. (the sound got better throughout their set but not by much). Maybe their live equipment set-up just isn't working for them as well as they think it is.

If anyone else is having the same problem as above, please let me know. I really want to know if they actually have terrible sound or if the venue they played butchered them again.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:26 am 

I'll be seeing this tomorrow night in Chicago and Wintersun has been high on my list of bands I want to see live so I really hope that house of blues doesn't butcher their sound. Is any body else going to the Chicago show?

Azmodes wrote:

fletch1492
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:29 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
I'll be seeing this tomorrow night in Chicago and Wintersun has been high on my list of bands I want to see live so I really hope that house of blues doesn't butcher their sound. Is any body else going to the Chicago show?

My friend and I were going to go to Chicago if there wasn't a Detroit date (sometimes he just goes from Chicago, to Detroit, to Toledo if there's a simply awesome tour though, lol) but nah, this time just Detroit on Friday. I need to round up some cash for a shirt!

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:24 pm 

I didn't really notice any issues with Wintersun's sound, but my bf complained about it a bit.
Quote:
I noticed that the vocals an guitars could have been mixed a bit better. They vocals were a little muddy.

(From his review here)

At that venue (Baltimore Soundstage) it seems it makes a big difference where you stand - sound tends to be much more balanced toward the front.

But lucky you getting to hear a well mixed set of Fleshgod! :D You might have noticed I was frustrated about not hearing the piano (again).

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:09 pm 

Yeah I'm not too huge into Fleshgod though. They're alright but they kind of rub me the wrong way with the backing vocals. Maybe the show will change my mind. Either way I'm pretty much just going for Wintersun and hoping Starkill is good cause I couldn't care less about Arsis. So fingers crossed!

Azmodes wrote:

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:44 pm 

Dude! About the Toronto show. You are not alone, four friends of mine and I all thought they had terrible sound. We actually had to leave like two songs in because of a bunch of shit. We were all super tired, sweaty and super hot from Fleshgod & Arsis, the crowd was full of douchebags that wanted to push and punch their way to the front, everybody sang like they had down syndrome - really loud and not knowing half the lyrics, couldn't hear the guitars either (Couldn't hear Fleshgod's as well, but they still had an awesome set), the vocals were extremely quiet.. Bleh, total disappointment man. Arsis was awesome though! I don't think I had a better experience prior to hearing their last song live, it was soooo good. Starkill was decent - lol.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:29 pm 

Commandaunt wrote:
Dude! About the Toronto show. You are not alone, four friends of mine and I all thought they had terrible sound. We actually had to leave like two songs in because of a bunch of shit. We were all super tired, sweaty and super hot from Fleshgod & Arsis, the crowd was full of douchebags that wanted to push and punch their way to the front, everybody sang like they had down syndrome - really loud and not knowing half the lyrics, couldn't hear the guitars either (Couldn't hear Fleshgod's as well, but they still had an awesome set), the vocals were extremely quiet.. Bleh, total disappointment man. Arsis was awesome though! I don't think I had a better experience prior to hearing their last song live, it was soooo good. Starkill was decent - lol.

It pains me to say this, but if Wintersun come back and play the Opera House I actually might skip out on them unless the lineup is super good. I've been excited to see them twice, and was underwhelmed. Twice.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:35 pm 

So I'm at this right now and Starkill just finished their set and I have just one word. DAMN. They were fucking good, the mix was a bit off but yeah they kicked ass.

Edit: just got home and holy fuck was that awesome. Arsis was good though I'm not really a fan but they put on a good show. Fleshgod was pretty bad until about their last two or three songs, the mix was disastrous and so were the vocals but in the end they pulled out a few good songs. Now Wintersun just wow did they kck ass never mised a beat and the whole thing just seemed flawless even their little cover bits. The new material sounded great and they played quite a bit from the debut as well. If you haven't seen this yet you're in luck, it's gonna fucking rule.

Azmodes wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next