Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:20 am 

Actually I've kept up with Continuum into the second season and have to admit the show has grown on me. How can I say this without giving away anything...Surprisingly Kira shows signs she might be more than a one dimensional jack booted thug. Alex too must come to terms with his role in helping Kira crush Liber8 as opposed to his unquestioning devotion to her he showed throughout S1. Carlos is growing weary of all this sci-fi shit, plus the plot is thickening with other players, the so called Freelancers, vying for Alex.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:21 am 

By "slightly better" she means "light years better"! Anyway, don't listen to her, the show is fantastic, etc etc.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:38 am 

I'm enjoying it. Just finished the 4th episode and it seems to be slowly picking up steam.

One thing the show does really well is moral grayness. Several of the show's "bad guys" are sympathetic and in some ways seem to be the "good guys." In some ways Kira seems to be the "bad guy" in her blind devotion to the corporate-governmental entity thing. I hope they handle and unfold those issues with subtlety, because it's one of the biggest gripping factors of the show for me.

Sometimes the stock detective crap is lame, but the scifi/political/moral touches make it a little bit fresher.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:41 am 

failsafeman wrote:
No no, everyone will be reduced to wandering around like zombies saying "DOME DOME DOME DOME? DOMEDOME. DOME DOME DOME!!! DOOOOOOMMMMEE!!!" forever, as if they'd contracted some Pontypool-like virus.

Yeah, I don't know. I didn't think they said 'dome' THAT much, and it would be a pretty big deal so you can't really blame them.

I sure wish it was November 4th so I could watch Almost Human. That looks like a potentially great sci-fi series.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:43 am 

If dome think they dome't say dome that much, dome havedomen't been watching dome dome very domely.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:14 am 

What else should they call it? A lid? A capsule? A half-sphere? The hollow upper-half of a sphere?

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:06 pm 

After I saw 24 on TV I decided to rewatch the series. Still great.
I have also decided to see what's new in television. Falling Skies is pretty mediocre, The Client List is just flat-out bad, The Walking Dead is still okay.
I think Falling Skies was the most disappointing for me since I like the concept of aliens blowing each other up.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:02 pm 

I started the new Batman animated series Beware the Batman today (only 3 episodes out) and it's really good. The animated style is quite cool, all computerized and it's gonna be original since the main foe will be Anarky and Alfred's character is a bit changed, he's an ex M16 spy. Very interesting, check it out if you like the bat.
Spoiler: show

I also want to watch the Brave and the Bold now, any fans of that series?

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:20 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
What else should they call it? A lid? A capsule? A half-sphere? The hollow upper-half of a sphere?

Seriously now. The show might suck and there's plenty of things worth mocking, but the word "dome" isn't one of them.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:11 pm 

Ugh, that animation style isn't my thing at all, Metantoine.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:12 pm 

It's bad but I'll take it over the poor flash cartoon animation that's been rampant for the past decade. Nobody tries to make cartoons look good anymore outside of one or two movies, too costly and time consuming to get people that can actually draw.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:42 pm 

I rather like the art style/design of Tron: Evolution. Lance Henriksen's presence is also quite appealing. Still a barely-worth-watching show, but you might still wanna check it out.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:52 pm 

I've been scrounging for stuff to watch now that I'm all caught up on all of my usual shows, and have finished the first season of Orphan Black. I think I'm gonna do Farscape next, but the uh...DVD's...didn't get here in the mail in time yet....so I watched the first two episodes of Copper on Netflix instead. It was alright so far, interesting enough for me to keep watching it.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:13 pm 

Worst shows on TV past and present: the shield, breaking bad, burn notice, 24

Best: Star Trek , SeaQuest, Space Precinct, Married With Children

What does it all mean?

I dunno.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:20 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Worst shows on TV past and present: the shield, breaking bad
Cute trolling, Dayv.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:02 am 

I actually enjoyed watching 24 with my parents semi-ironically; Jack Bauer is basically a monster who threatens to gouge people's eyes out if he thinks they have the slightest bit of information he needs, and it's always hilarious to see how him and the rest of the "good guys" trample all over every right and freedom that there is. The main problem of course is that the show idolizes rather than vilifies Bauer, so it's always irritating to see it all turn out OK in the end.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:31 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Ugh, that animation style isn't my thing at all, Metantoine.

That animation style reminds me of Batman Beyond.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:56 am 

How? Batman Beyond was 2D animation just the same as the old Batman cartoon.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:12 am 

failsafeman wrote:
I actually enjoyed watching 24 with my parents semi-ironically; Jack Bauer is basically a monster who threatens to gouge people's eyes out if he thinks they have the slightest bit of information he needs, and it's always hilarious to see how him and the rest of the "good guys" trample all over every right and freedom that there is. The main problem of course is that the show idolizes rather than vilifies Bauer, so it's always irritating to see it all turn out OK in the end.

So you're saying it's basically The Shield without the self-awareness? :-P

I recall the first season of 24 being quite good; the second was also quite good but it was eerily similar to the first; and then the third happened, and the slight deja vu I had during the second season blossomed into overwhelming feelings of tired re-tread and writers stuck in a rut. I ditched the show there and never looked back.

failsafeman wrote:

I think he meant art style.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:36 pm 

Well I still don't see a similarity beyond the fact that they're both, y'know, Batman, but whatever.

Batman Beyond was a cool show, though.

Woodgod
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:45 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Alfred's character is a bit changed, he's an ex M16 spy.

Eh, Alfred being a retired agent isn't really new. Can't remember if they used it in TAS though.

Brutality_Junkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:24 pm 

"'Trailer Park Boys' TV Show Returning For Another Season"

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/07/04/trailer-park-boys-tv-show-season-8_n_3546163.html

"(John Paul) Tremblay, (Robb) Wells and (Mike) Smith have announced that they're planning on making a Season 8 of 'TPB', and they're already in pre-production. The one difference this time is the show will not be broadcast on TV, but instead can be found on their new Internet channel, SwearNet.com."

A new movie AND Season 8. :hyper:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:13 pm 

The Twelfth Doctor is gonna be revealed on a live simulcast on BBC1 and BBC America Sunday at 7:00.

I still say Daniel Radcliffe would make a great Doctor, but I know it's not gonna be him.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Stone69
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:07 am 

Some TV shoes which diverts me from listening to my CD's all day/night were:

Game Of Thrones [I've heard that season 4 is set to be released next year, 2014! Too much wait aarrrggghhh]
Vikings [Season 2 also dated to be released next year! Sucks!]
Walking Dead [Can't wait for October to come! Arrrghhhh Season 4]
Family Guy and American Dad [Hilarious and fun!!!!]

:thumbsup:

QueenElizawreck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:02 am 

I'm liking Orange Is The New Black.

It is from that woman who created Weeds. Anyone remember Weeds? I think I stopped at the fourth season because I really couldn't take it anymore with the ridiculousness.

Anyway, this new show is about a women's prison and has an assortment of characters. I can see it going downhill in the future (prove me wrong please!) but for now, it is really good! Off beat, sarcastic and unpredictable.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:09 am 

People who complain about the wait for Game of Thrones seasons are so adorable.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:23 am 

Amen.

QueenElizawreck wrote:

Is that... Kate Mulgrew on the left?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:58 am 

darkeningday wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

I think he meant art style.

Oh sorry FSM, didn't see your post. I just got that vibe and as DD pointed out, it is the art style that I quickly judged after seeing that picture which was posted. *shrugs*

Enthroned3112
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:15 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Amen.

QueenElizawreck wrote:

Is that... Kate Mulgrew on the left?

Yes... :eek:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:24 pm 

Subrick wrote:
The Twelfth Doctor is gonna be revealed on a live simulcast on BBC1 and BBC America Sunday at 7:00.

I still say Daniel Radcliffe would make a great Doctor, but I know it's not gonna be him.

I want this guy!

As for Weeds, I really liked the first 5 seasons, I tried to watch the 6th season and failed at it, it was getting pretty mediocre, maybe I should try again.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:00 pm 

I started watching season one of Twin Peaks today. I'm completely hooked on this.

Enthroned3112
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:19 pm 

Numerator_41 wrote:
I started watching season one of Twin Peaks today. I'm completely hooked on this.

I stopped watching this after 3 episodes... Don't get me wrong, I love Lynch's movies, and this certainly isn't bad, but... I don't know... It never - how do you say...? - got to me...

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:40 am 

Season 1 finale of Continuum! Whoa! Quite a twist.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:14 am 

So it got better after that stupid fucking episode where Kiera finds her deadbeat mother and starts preaching to her about why abortion is evil and wrong, I'm guessing? Cuz' that's where I dropped it.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:37 pm 

Ups and downs, but yeah I like it.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:43 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
So it got better after that stupid fucking episode where Kiera finds her deadbeat mother and starts preaching to her about why abortion is evil and wrong, I'm guessing? Cuz' that's where I dropped it.

I haven't watched the show, but is that an expression of the creators' views, or just the character's?? Because I really don't think I want to bother with a show if they're going to preach crap to me through their characters.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:39 pm 

And the 12th doctor will be Peter Capaldi.

I honestly havn't seen anything with him in it, but he does have a very different look from Matt Smith and even David Tennet, and that has me very intrigued.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:01 pm 

He's still not ginger!

Fangirls are probably freaking the fuck out because he's not totally cute and handsome.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:44 pm 

Man, I am so glad the new Doctor is an ugly old bastard. All of that fangirl meme-ing was getting obnoxious as shit.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:47 pm 

Honestly, I wouldn't mind that guy from Pacific Rim being a Doctor, the black guy who does the "Canceling the Apocalypse" speech play the doctor....here's hoping for the 13th in a few years.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 182  Next