Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:03 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
I've yet to hear anyone say they don't like Sad... Kind of totally disagree with some of the review ratings for their albums but no matter. Barshasketh and Paria are probably the most unique of those last 4, but they're all quality and definitely worth a listen.

Svartsyn was ok but I really dug Permafrost. Still need to listen to Paria and Barshasketh. Listening to the Sad again right now, actually. I know some people who dislike it but I'm a sucker for that whole tremolo picked melodic lead type black metal. :P

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:12 pm 

I'm curious to know how Dark Space -I stacks up against the rest of Darkspace's discography. And I mean the 2012 rerecorded version. I ask this because I really like all three albums as each one has a different kind of mood and all that. But how do those two songs compare against their remaining work? Is it worth it, is it passable, is it so so?

I'd like some input on this if possible. ;)

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:26 pm 

Hi guys can someone recommend any other bands that play post-black metal and metalcore like Ara Kra? I'm not looking for blackened deathcore stuff, more like bands that play their black metal style of riffing with some metalcore edge, long tremolo melodies and big chords interludes are a big plus.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

Enthroned3112
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:47 pm 

androdion wrote:
I'm curious to know how Dark Space -I stacks up against the rest of Darkspace's discography. And I mean the 2012 rerecorded version. I ask this because I really like all three albums as each one has a different kind of mood and all that. But how do those two songs compare against their remaining work? Is it worth it, is it passable, is it so so?

To put it simply: If you like or love I-III, you'll like -I as well. Maybe -I has got a ... how shall I put it ... colder sound, there's even a little "industrial touch". I have to admit though that this is the album I like the least in their whole backcatalogue... Which isn't saying much, since I'm a big fan. :wink:
If I had to rate the albums: -I (original demo) 70%, I 80%, II 90%, III 99%, -I (re-recorded) 75%.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:23 pm 

Enthroned3112 wrote:
androdion wrote:

To put it simply: If you like or love I-III, you'll like -I as well. Maybe -I has got a ... how shall I put it ... colder sound, there's even a little "industrial touch". I have to admit though that this is the album I like the least in their whole backcatalogue... Which isn't saying much, since I'm a big fan. :wink:
If I had to rate the albums: -I (original demo) 70%, I 80%, II 90%, III 99%, -I (re-recorded) 75%.

Thanks for the reply. I've browsed "Dark -1.-1" on Youtube, which with its shitty sound quality isn't saying much, and it did sound a bit... I don't know, more upbeat?! If didn't feel as atmospheric but gave me more of a cold harsh vibe, probably what you meant with your post.

My predicament is that I will be buying the three albums together in a near future, and the distro that has them also sports Dark Space -1. Except it's less than half the music of any album and more expensive than any of them. I just don't know how much worth it it actually is.

Enthroned3112
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:55 pm 

androdion wrote:
My predicament is that I will be buying the three albums together in a near future, and the distro that has them also sports Dark Space -1. Except it's less than half the music of any album and more expensive than any of them. I just don't know how much worth it it actually is.

Well for starters it's an EP, so I definitely wouldn't pay more for this than for the other albums. If you check http://www.blackscaped.de for example, they sell -I for 12,90 euro and the other albums for 13,90 a piece... 12,90 is definitely the limit of how much you should spend...

dildozer420
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:21 pm 

Has anyone ever heard of a band called Der Weg Einer Freiheit?

They're well... atmospheric/prog black metal I'd call them.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eeodc2jEhss[/media]

Anyway, I've been in love with them and want to find more black metal like them but it's kinda hard, they seem to be kinda unique I suppose.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:53 pm 

dildozer420 wrote:

Anyway, I've been in love with them and want to find more black metal like them but it's kinda hard, they seem to be kinda unique I suppose.

I also love Der Weg Einer Freiheit, have you hear Agrypnie?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A34OWQu5LyU

dildozer420
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:14 pm 

IntoNevermore wrote:
dildozer420 wrote:

I also love Der Weg Einer Freiheit, have you hear Agrypnie?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A34OWQu5LyU

Dude, that's the other band I've been obsessed with too. I actually was gonna ask about them instead but they're even more out there, can barely find anything about them but I have their discography. I guess I'd call them post black metal as that's what they call themselves but whenever I youtube post black metal, nothing sounds like them. I really prefer this kind of black metal to have good production quality but it's hard to find. Leave the shit sound for the first wave.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:52 am 

Hmm I also like Sworn quite a lot, you may enjoy them too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeqaKmE ... ata_player

And, wait until Mr. STORMM comes with something awesone, he always does n_n

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:04 am 

IntoNevermore wrote:
Hi guys can someone recommend any other bands that play post-black metal and metalcore like Ara Kra? I'm not looking for blackened deathcore stuff, more like bands that play their black metal style of riffing with some metalcore edge, long tremolo melodies and big chords interludes are a big plus.

Not familiar with Ara Kra Into, but I will throw one out there, check out the new debut ablum by Synkvervet, little to no tremolo I am afraid, but the guitars are more 'thrashy' with some nice palm muted rhythm sections as well as some break downs but in a good way, check them out dude you might enjoy.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:13 am 

dildozer420 wrote:
Dude, that's the other band I've been obsessed with too. I actually was gonna ask about them instead but they're even more out there, can barely find anything about them but I have their discography. I guess I'd call them post black metal as that's what they call themselves but whenever I youtube post black metal, nothing sounds like them. I really prefer this kind of black metal to have good production quality but it's hard to find. Leave the shit sound for the first wave.

Try Vallendusk's 'Black Clouds Gathering' and Blaze of Sorrow's 'Echi', plenty of melody with some post black touches. You should also check out N.K. from Der Weg previous band, Frostgrim, similar stuff and as I remember the album was free to download from their website. If you want something abit more aggressive try Aldaaron, a band I mention quite alot infact :)

IntoNevermore wrote:

Your too kind IntoNevermore :) Hope these are along the lines you guys are looking for.

bodhiUXO
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:48 am 

Hi, i'm looking for any type of black metal with super fast snare blasts. cold production would be nice. Bands in the same vein as Darkspace & Paysage d'Hiver but more or less straight up black metal aggression and less focus on atmospheric passages, any suggestions will be combed through thoroughly, thank you!

okyr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:51 pm 

dildozer420 wrote:

More along the lines of their debut:

Bogdaniel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:08 pm 

Hello, guys. So I've been hearing a lot of stuff about Summoning since they just released an album this year, and most people seem to really dig them.

I like black metal, though I'm not a huge fan of it, but someone told me they have medieval influence in their music, which is something I love. That's why I'd like to give these guys a shot.

So, my question is: which album should I start off with? I was skimming through their albums, and the only that caught my attention immediately was Minas Morgul (mainly due to that incredible cover). But, I don't want to pick an album just because of the cover.

So, which album is good to start on? :)

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:11 pm 

Looking for black metal that contains clean vocals done in a 90s rock or "grunge" style. The more the cleans resemble hard rock singers the better, and if the actual music takes a bit of influence from it as well then that's a bonus.

Here are two examples of what I'm after:
Dodsferd - A Pile of Shit; The Only Hope of Your World
Here he sounds a bit like Glenn Danzig. Quite different than the usual over-the-top cheesy black metal cleans.
http://youtu.be/PnRbW5YinaY?t=1m9s

Svarti Loghin - Kosmik Tomhet
The vocals here sound a lot like Eddie Vedder and the riff itself sounds a bit like a black metal version of a song that would show up on Pearl Jam's Vitalogy. Anything along these lines (perhaps a bit heavier) would be perfect.
http://youtu.be/nN73Kir0WHg?t=1m49s

Thanks gals and guys

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:29 pm 

I've listened to a band that was based on that concept. Can't remember the name atm. Will get back to you.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:35 am 

Bogdaniel wrote:
Hello, guys. So I've been hearing a lot of stuff about Summoning since they just released an album this year, and most people seem to really dig them.

I like black metal, though I'm not a huge fan of it, but someone told me they have medieval influence in their music, which is something I love. That's why I'd like to give these guys a shot.

So, my question is: which album should I start off with? I was skimming through their albums, and the only that caught my attention immediately was Minas Morgul (mainly due to that incredible cover). But, I don't want to pick an album just because of the cover.

Minas Morgul would probably be a good starting point. The debut doesn't really feature the established Summoning sound that really showed up starting on Minas Morgul. It's not their strongest album but is still good, and gives you a good opportunity to get used to their style before being overwhelmed by the brilliance of the material that came after it.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

dildozer420
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:41 am 

STORMM wrote:
dildozer420 wrote:

Try Vallendusk's 'Black Clouds Gathering' and Blaze of Sorrow's 'Echi', plenty of melody with some post black touches. You should also check out N.K. from Der Weg previous band, Frostgrim, similar stuff and as I remember the album was free to download from their website. If you want something abit more aggressive try Aldaaron, a band I mention quite alot infact :)

IntoNevermore wrote:

Your too kind IntoNevermore :) Hope these are along the lines you guys are looking for.

I'll look into them, thanks!

bodhiUXO
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:35 am 

Quote:

Quote:

Honestly, just check out Stronghold and Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame. Dol Guldur & Oath Bound seem to be their most popular, but the opening track to Stronghold was what initially got me into these guys. (sorry, i don't know how to grey box your original post)

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:16 am 

Looking for some epic/symphonic black that doesn't sounds much like CoF and their similars, which is kinda hard to find. Something close to Lyfthrasyr and Stormlord, without clean vocals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNDEslxa-Qc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMs398QhHOk

FantomLord17 wrote:
...while In Flames lyrics make me think of a teenager's facebook post.

all_pigs_must_die
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:36 am 

Enthroned3112 wrote:
all_pigs_must_die wrote:
I hope somebody here will help me. I want to know this bands name:

https://soundcloud.com/selev

I've downloaded this song maybe seven or eight years ago, cause I thought I could help the guy who shared it on some p2p program... I love it and I wan't to find this demo somehow, but I need the name. Maybe some of you will help me to ease this several years of mind-terror?

Puh, I've been trying for the last almost 2 hours to hear the lyrics and maybe by googling them find the band, but in vain... :aww:

Don't you have at least an idea, where these guys are from, or when the song came out? Sur it is a demo and not a full-length album?

I think it's a demo tape because of the sound defects and quite poor sound quality. I guess it was recorded in mid '90, between '94 and '96. I also think that the band was formed in Norway.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:09 pm 

Can't remember if I mentioned this demo that just came out from a new Finnish band called "Sacrificium Carmen" but it owns pretty hard. Anyone else heard them? I got the full demo and I can't wait to hear another release.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:37 pm 

I know this is an odd request, but has bluesy elements ever been successfully integrated into black metal? The only thing I can think of is that one Pensées Nocturnes song.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:04 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
I know this is an odd request, but has bluesy elements ever been successfully integrated into black metal? The only thing I can think of is that one Pensées Nocturnes song.

Haven't you heard Glorior Belli? They're kind of groovy black meets southern/blues rock.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:28 pm 

Dol Guldur is the standard intro Summoning album. It's their earliest album which represents their fully developed style.

RainbowPrius19
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:59 am 

dildozer420 wrote:

Wow they are amazing I am trying to find that cd under $20 right now. And If anyone has anythig like this post it.

RainbowPrius19
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:49 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
Can't remember if I mentioned this demo that just came out from a new Finnish band called "Sacrificium Carmen" but it owns pretty hard. Anyone else heard them? I got the full demo and I can't wait to hear another release.

Did you buy the cassettes or what? Because I do not have a tape deck so if you have a download link could you put it up here?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:02 am 

Sick6Six wrote:

I was supposed to check this out earlier, but I wasn't able to afford anything extra at the time. Also, I don't have a tape player at the moment.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:44 am 

In response to Rainbow and Ilwhyan, I'm actually waiting for my physical copy, but I did get a download link. I will have to find it and see if it's ok to give out. I think that's the only song available on youtube or anywhere I've seen so far. I'll get back to you on the link and either post or private message.

RainbowPrius19
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:04 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
In response to Rainbow and Ilwhyan, I'm actually waiting for my physical copy, but I did get a download link. I will have to find it and see if it's ok to give out. I think that's the only song available on youtube or anywhere I've seen so far. I'll get back to you on the link and either post or private message.

Awesome thanks!

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:55 pm 

STORMM wrote:
IntoNevermore wrote:

Not familiar with Ara Kra Into, but I will throw one out there, check out the new debut ablum by Synkvervet, little to no tremolo I am afraid, but the guitars are more 'thrashy' with some nice palm muted rhythm sections as well as some break downs but in a good way, check them out dude you might enjoy.

I'll check out Synkvervet, the song I heard on youtube sounded very nice, I have to listen to the whole album. Thank you! n.n

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:59 pm 

I can't find the download link, but 2 of the other songs are available from the band here:
http://www.reverbnation.com/sacrificiumcarmen

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:53 pm 

Just stumbled upon a pretty awesome Black n Roll (?) ish band called TOAD. Yeah, the name may sound weird but what it stands for is Take Over And Destroy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAwvFuR_qo0

So enjoy, folks. =)

osborn89419
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:30 pm 

omnishadow wrote:
Looking for some epic/symphonic black that doesn't sounds much like CoF and their similars, which is kinda hard to find. Something close to Lyfthrasyr and Stormlord, without clean vocals:

Carach Angren comes to mind.

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:23 pm 

dildozer420 wrote:

They are indeed phenomenal. I wouldn't call them too atmospheric, they just seem very melodic black metal to me. If you like this kind of stuff, but slowed down with an ambient twist, look up Alrakis.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:11 am 

Markov wrote:
If you like this kind of stuff, but slowed down with an ambient twist, look up Alrakis.

GODDAMMIT MARKOV NOT EVERY BLACK METAL BAND ON EARTH HAS TO BE COMPARED TO ALRAKIS

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:17 am 

osborn89419 wrote:
omnishadow wrote:

Carach Angren comes to mind.

Carach Angren is awesome, but they use too much orchestration. Another band that I'm enjoying, with the two mentioned above is Abused Majesty. They're mixing some DM elements, which is great for me, since I'm a DM guy trying to get into Black. If someone have any recomendation, I would gladly take it.

FantomLord17 wrote:
...while In Flames lyrics make me think of a teenager's facebook post.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:07 am 

omnishadow wrote:
Looking for some epic/symphonic black that doesn't sounds much like CoF

I would highly recommend you give Ceremonial Castings a whirl. Excellent band who fit your description, the albums keep getting better and better plus if you also like death metal you will find some tracings of it here and there throughout the tracks. I have just posted one randon track below to give you an idea but I reccommend you explore their releases as most of them do not dissappoint.

Also try Obtained Enslavement.

Last edited by STORMM on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:31 am 

bodhiUXO wrote:
Hi, i'm looking for any type of black metal with super fast snare blasts. cold production would be nice. Bands in the same vein as Darkspace & Paysage d'Hiver but more or less straight up black metal aggression and less focus on atmospheric passages, any suggestions will be combed through thoroughly, thank you!

I think I have just the album for you, Darkness "As the Last Star Falls From Heaven". Excellent overlooked gem imo with insane drumming but works great with the music. Enjoy!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 231  Next