Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:20 am 

So in summary; I have a difference of opinion.

Moving on, I've been watching the stunning Black Mirror for the last couple of days and it's so damn good, it features probably the best sci-fi I've seen in a long time. I'm up to the second episode of the second season and The Entire History of You is my favourite so far. The actors are incredibly good, the dialogue is quick and wholly believable, there's variation that's not predictable and all the endings are very satisfying. I'm just a little upset there's so few episodes.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:02 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
I'm just a little upset there's so few episodes.

Welcome to British TV :P

Charlie Brooker and Jesse Armstrong (co-creator of Fresh Meat and Peep Show) are two of the greatest living satiric writers on television today, and this is why Black Mirror is so damn good.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:39 am 

Yeah Black Mirror is fantastic. Not really much more to say other than that it deserves all the praise it can get.

All I have to say to neku is :P The View...? What in god's name are you talking about.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:09 pm 

Come on man if I watch one more episode I'll start growing tits. I'm sorry but all I can think of while watching that shit is, actress, actess, one fugly duck-mouth actress. A good show shouldn't make you think of 'actors' let alone bad actors. It should be good enough that you immerse yourself in it and for a while you believe it without such distractions. And that ridiculous Ukranian accent, even FPS Russia can do a better job.

Spoiler: show
One minute she's a stone cold tail cutting ninja, the other she's getting pimp slapped by some geezer and thrown into a cage?

I gave it a shot but it's not for me. Right now I'm hooked on Justified which a couple of people mentioned here. Had a couple of days off to relax and watch some episodes and so far I have not been disappointed. The acting is great all around and I also find it refreshing to see someone kick all the ass that needed to be kicked ala Kojak without all the drama and political correctness. Copper is also another badass show worth checking out.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:56 pm 

Caught up on Under the Dome (the DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME!). The show continues to not disappoint, delivering line after line of the most retarded writing on television. The amount of dumbfuckery is really something to behold. I can't think of a single plot point in this most recent episode that made any goddamn sense. Ranting in spoiler tags.

You'd think, with this goddamn, you know, dome, that Hank from Breaking Bad would've at least CHECKED his emergency bunker? Why would two kids who had seizures the last time they touched touch again but standing up? Are they dim? Why would you "shoosh" a camera? Why didn't that reporter woman go check out the cabin days ago after she took the map from Barbie and saw it clearly marked in red sharpie on there? Why would Hank from Breaking Bad give a shotgun to his moron son and tell him to just barge into a hospital brandishing a weapon in order to keep everyone from leaving instead of, you know, explaining to the people that they can't leave because there's a quarantine? Why does this town have a giant hospital that only employed three doctors? How did they go through the entire town's rubber glove supply in three days?

I also saw the first episode of Orphan Black. Pretty entertaining so far! I'll at least watch the rest of this first season since it's fairly short, but for now this is looking like it'll be pretty solid.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:12 am 

Currently voting to change the name of the show to This Damn Dome.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:22 am 

Haha...are you a fan of Godspeed You! Black Emperor and the spinoff project A Silver Mt. Zion? Anyway, the latter band increased the length of its name on each subsequent release. First they were A Silver Mt. Zion, then they were The Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra La La Band, then The Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra La La Band with Choir.

Anyway, it would be awesome if Under the Dome did that for each episode, only with an ever-growing list of curses before the word "dome" in the title. I figure they'll get to at least a handful of iterations before the show is yanked off the air.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:04 am 

Episode 5: This Damn Dome
Episode 6: Ding Dang This Dome
Episode 7: Damn This Big Darn Dome
Episode 8: God Blasted Dumb Dick Dome
Episode 9: Really Starting to Hate This Fucking Dome
Episode 10: What Will It Take To Make the Dome Go Away
Episode 11: Dome to the Power of Dome: The Ultimate Nightmare

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:13 am 

The show is mediocre from what I've seen, but I don't get why it's so hilarious that they call it the "dome"... :scratch:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:53 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Caught up on Under the Dome (the DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME!). The show continues to not disappoint, delivering line after line of the most retarded writing on television. The amount of dumbfuckery is really something to behold. I can't think of a single plot point in this most recent episode that made any goddamn sense. Ranting in spoiler tags.

You'd think, with this goddamn, you know, dome, that Hank from Breaking Bad would've at least CHECKED his emergency bunker? Why would two kids who had seizures the last time they touched touch again but standing up? Are they dim? Why would you "shoosh" a camera? Why didn't that reporter woman go check out the cabin days ago after she took the map from Barbie and saw it clearly marked in red sharpie on there? Why would Hank from Breaking Bad give a shotgun to his moron son and tell him to just barge into a hospital brandishing a weapon in order to keep everyone from leaving instead of, you know, explaining to the people that they can't leave because there's a quarantine? Why does this town have a giant hospital that only employed three doctors? How did they go through the entire town's rubber glove supply in three days?

I also saw the first episode of Orphan Black. Pretty entertaining so far! I'll at least watch the rest of this first season since it's fairly short, but for now this is looking like it'll be pretty solid.

Morrigan wrote:
The show is mediocre from what I've seen, but I don't get why it's so hilarious that they call it the "dome"... :scratch:

Empyreal wrote:
I loved the book this was all based on but :lol: I might have to finally watch this show because of these jokes...

A shitty television adaption of a Stephen King piece? How unprecedented! :P

Sometimes I wonder if he and the show producers are completely self-aware of how the nuances and general R-ratedness of his books don't translate to network television and deliberately ham things up as much as possible for laughs.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:15 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Episode 5: This Damn Dome
Episode 6: Ding Dang This Dome
Episode 7: Damn This Big Darn Dome
Episode 8: God Blasted Dumb Dick Dome
Episode 9: Really Starting to Hate This Fucking Dome
Episode 10: What Will It Take To Make the Dome Go Away
Episode 11: Dome to the Power of Dome: The Ultimate Nightmare

:lol: This truly is one of those series whose only entertainment value derives from the many and varied ways of mocking it. My friends and I have been trying to devise drinking games, along the lines of taking a shot for each time the dome is mentioned; there is potential in this somewhere, I feel it in my alcoholic waters...

But I think this pretty much sums it up:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:
[A shitty television adaption of a Stephen King piece? How unprecedented!

Granted, there were some good moments in the classic older adaptations - Salem's Lot, I'd say, though I never really got the praise this gets from some horror fans - but recent series have been utterly awful; anyone subject to the painful mediocrity of Haven or Nightmares and Dreamscapes wouldn't have held very high hopes for the Dome.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:53 am 

Langoliers anyone? :ugh:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:08 pm 

:( Oh, wow. I'd forgotten that one... I didn't realise that it could be so viscerally painful to behold mediocrity until I saw that. I still can't believe I sat through all of it.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:01 pm 

Desperation was pretty craptacular too, as a fan of the relatively-overlooked book.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:28 pm 

The Stand was excruciatingly long. IT was a pile of horseshit, too. Really the only good King adaptations I've seen are the films which deviate from his books the most, i.e. The Shining and Children of the Corn, both of which are horror classics.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:45 pm 

Does anyone remember Kingdom Hospital? I haven't seen it but the source material is amazing (Lars Von Trier's Riget), and the guy who worked with King to create the series, Richard Dooling, is my smartest friend's dad. Which means that it almost certainly sucked because I have very stupid friends.

Also, I may have only been 14, but I remember this Stephen King TV adaptation being just unprecedentedly awful.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:34 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Langoliers anyone? :ugh:

I loved that movie when I was like 7 years old :P
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:48 pm 

Langoliers wasn't bad, the CGI on the other hand was spectacularly atrocious. With an actual reasonable sized budget who knows how brilliant it could have been.
darkeningday wrote:
Also, I may have only been 14, but I remember this Stephen King TV adaptation being just unprecedentedly awful.

A lot of people are avid fans of Rose Red and it's frequently associated with being underrated. You are definitely the odd duck with that one, dd.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:51 pm 

From what I hear a lot of people hate Rose Red actually, so it's probably about even. I enjoyed it for a stupid, silly SK miniseries...was a fun way to waste time for an afternoon. Same for the Langoliers actually.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:55 pm 

Really? Everyone I've ever spoken to has raved about it like they were in love. To be honest I can barely remember what happened apart from shapeshifting walls, it's probably due for a re-watch as I never saw why they rated it so highly.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:04 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
From what I hear a lot of people hate Rose Red actually, so it's probably about even. I enjoyed it for a stupid, silly SK miniseries...was a fun way to waste time for an afternoon. Same for the Langoliers actually.

The scenery in that one makes it one of the better SK TV series from at least a visual perspective, though after reading The Shining I realized what a blatant retread it was, right down to the psychic kid and Indian burial ground. But it scared the shit out of me as a sixth-grader, for sure.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:19 pm 

So the more I watch Orphan Black the more I realize Tatiana Maslany looks exactly like this girl I knew in college. Maybe they're...."related"!

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:44 pm 

Reading the wiki episode summary of Blue on Blue, I'm truly glad I bailed on Under The Dome when I did.
I knew they'd make more throwaway non-consequential filler episodes. Please get cancelled.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:12 pm 

Under the Dome is not really captivating me so far, but something major did happen in the Blue on Blue episode.

Big Jim killed Stereotypically Unappealing Christian Man.

Also

Shelter Girl is now out of the shelter.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:58 pm 

Been watching The Fall the last few days. It's pretty decent, a good enough detective thriller, though it's got its flaws. Anyway, it's got me wondering: Are there any crime/investigative shows out there where the killer doesn't get caught in the end? Part of what usually sucks the drama out of these detective pieces is that it's a foregone conclusion that the killer will be apprehended at the end of the story, the audience just watches and waits to see how the good guys track down the monster. There's never a whole lot of a sense of danger or risk because, well...we know who's going to win, don't we. I'll be damned if I can think of a cop thriller that ended with the killer slipping away and the case remaining unsolved.

Enthroned3112
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:08 pm 

My favourite tv shows, if anyone cares:
The X-Files, Star Trek: The Next Generation (both basically "saved" my childhood), Six Feet Under (most beautiful ending of a tv show ever!), Scrubs, House, Breaking Bad (brilliant acting!!), A Bit Of Fry and Laurie (fantastic british comedy show with a pre-House Hugh Laurie), Monty Python's Flying Circus, Black Adder, Stromberg (german version of The Office), Kalkofes Mattscheibe (german comedy show, in which a guy called Oliver Kalkofe shows short clips of stupid german tv shows and then comments or parodys them), Dexter, Californication, Angry Video Game Nerd (though, strictly speaking, not a tv show - but this definitely always cheers me up whenever I'm sad or angry), American Horror Story ... I'm pretty sure, I forgot something...

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:09 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
I'll be damned if I can think of a cop thriller that ended with the killer slipping away and the case remaining unsolved.

ROBERT STACK DISAGREES WITH YOU

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:21 pm 

!!!!!

Now to find out who Robert Stack is...

EDIT: Pfffff

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:38 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Been watching The Fall the last few days. It's pretty decent, a good enough detective thriller, though it's got its flaws. Anyway, it's got me wondering: Are there any crime/investigative shows out there where the killer doesn't get caught in the end? Part of what usually sucks the drama out of these detective pieces is that it's a foregone conclusion that the killer will be apprehended at the end of the story, the audience just watches and waits to see how the good guys track down the monster. There's never a whole lot of a sense of danger or risk because, well...we know who's going to win, don't we. I'll be damned if I can think of a cop thriller that ended with the killer slipping away and the case remaining unsolved.

Justified has a great deal of that but then again the circumstances between the good guy and the main bad guy are complicated. Boyd keeps getting caught and let go for various reasons. Still, it's been a cool show these four seasons and I can't wait for next year's shows.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:24 pm 

Under the Dome was renewed for a second season, you guys.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:36 pm 

Under the Dome Season 2: Still Under the Dome

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:06 am 

Unless they pull a Lost and get out of the Dome, then have to go back inside (for some crazy reason)!!!! omagosh!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:37 am 

Can't decide what to watch...Luther, Black Mirror, Continuum, more of The Shield, more of The Borgias, maybe I should watch more than the pilot of Six Feet Under? Everybody seems to love that show.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:21 am 

Nahsil wrote:
Can't decide what to watch...Luther, Black Mirror, Continuum, more of The Shield, more of The Borgias, maybe I should watch more than the pilot of Six Feet Under? Everybody seems to love that show.

Well I'd say you could definitely give The Borgias a pass... watched most of the first season a while back and it just got worse and worse as it went along. Pretty big waste of what could've been a really interesting show.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:23 am 

The Borgias isn't amazing but at least it isn't The Tudors :puke: .

You should watch Continuum and then tell me if it gets better :-D

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:35 am 

Forgot to mention Enterprise. I still need to see the first 2 seasons.

I thought the first couple episodes of Continuum were decent. Not great but okay. I would like to see more.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:36 am 

Luther sucked aside from Idris Elba, don't bother. Totally lazy plotting.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:56 am 

Six Feet Under was really, really good and would be my pick out of those shows listed.

Season 2 of Under the Dome will have the cast getting out of the dome only to find out that it was really the rest of the world being endomed the whole time, and they were in the world's only tiny sphere of undomedness.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:53 am 

No no, everyone will be reduced to wandering around like zombies saying "DOME DOME DOME DOME? DOMEDOME. DOME DOME DOME!!! DOOOOOOMMMMEE!!!" forever, as if they'd contracted some Pontypool-like virus.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:18 am 

Six Feet Under is basically a soap opera with better acting and slightly better writing. If you like trite stories about everyone's sex lives and how they cheat on their partners by having yet more sex with everyone else, then go for it, but it has to be one of the most overrated shows ever aired. :nono:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 182  Next