Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:06 am 

Oh wow, I didn't know that about the bassist actually. He's got some pipes! I wonder if he can sing in general or if he's like some upper register idiot savant.

I've still never heard that Blacksword album, what am I even doing?

Bud Tribe I'm very interested in checking out. I don't want to play Roll the Bones right now only because if it kicks as much ass as I'm expecting it'll make going to bed more difficult. I'll be spinning that shit tomorrow for sure though, with maybe price-checks to follow. I love the weirdo name...I thought maybe they were the first stoner power metal band until you explained it. What's up with their older debut, anything there?

I think Volture's "Heathen's Revenge" might factor into this discussion for me as well. It's another tune that stands so head-and-shoulders above the other (really good) songs on the EP that it almost seems a fluke. Drips atmosphere and impending doom and the vocal delivery is on some god-tier status. I'll have to break it out again soon and see if its worthy of being called perfect.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:51 am 

Best Elric band for me is definitely Stormbringer from Illinois, but that Blacksword album is definitely good stuff, as is the newest Skelator album as well as the aforementioned Borrowed Time. As far as a really mind-blowing song from the last five years, I'm going to have to go with Existence's Sword in My Hand. I've never really been able to dig the band as a whole, but that song just grabbed me the first time I heard it. The strange, unorthodox riffs create a detached, otherworldly feeling unlike anything else I've ever heard. The amount of atmosphere in this song is incredible, especially in the softer passages, and it manages to make me feel as if I'm being transported to another world, which very few other bands are able to do. I was playing this nonstop when I first heard it, and while I'm not doing that anymore, I definitely enjoy the fuck out of it whenever I do play it.

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:35 pm 

2nding "Roll the Bone" its a great song, unfortunately they never really get that same atmosphere on any of the other tracks. Still the vocalist has a distinct voice unlike any other singer Ive heard.

Well one great song I can think of is Crosswind's "Nephilim Rising":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPn6Ce1Vp3o
Its one of those really intense power metal songs that gives that epic battle feeling with explosions and shit going off everywhere. Its to the point and doesn't get bogged down by any slow sections.

Another is "Year Of The Blizzard" by Pharaoh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98-yil0olG8
Its lyrics and musical composition are beautiful and it tells a really emotional and sad story brilliantly.

Also "Marching Homeward" by Atlantean Kodex:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRk7l5zf1U4
Not really sure what to say about this one, it just gets the epic quest feel perfect.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:47 pm 

^ All awesome songs.

Man, this Black Hole "Land of Mystery" album is friggin' cool. I wish I had checked this out years ago...seriously just amazingly pulp, weird old school occult shit. It's like Sabbath if Sabbath used even harder drugs, for longer amounts of time. I never get tired of this style of music.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:32 pm 

Man, I was trying to get people to throw down some worship on that album with me in the doom rec thread. It's special, and I'm not sure how to say it outside of that. I never expected it to be as riff oriented as it is, and Measles bass playing is stellar. The guitar/bass interplay in Blind Men and Occult Forces is maybe my favorite part but it's all good.

It's not exactly the same but if you like/love Land of Mystery I'd strongly recommend grabbing Paul Chain's Detaching From Satan EP.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:17 pm 

Black Hole and Paul Chain are both cool as hell. But, haha, this isn't the doom thread, is it?... :P

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:32 am 

Alright ball'eads. I've been trying to track down tonnes of bands with this search, but am having a toughtime finding 99% of them. I NEED all of these bands. I simply can't find stuff online by a lot of these artists. Anyone familiar with any of the lesser known ones? I need more bitchin US power/prog type stuff. Someone help me find some of this stuff, some of these bands look bitchin, and look at the rad band names.

http://www.metal-archives.com/search/ad ... ame=#bands

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:22 am 

And which ones are the lesser known ones? What a weird post!

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:19 am 

Opus wrote:
And which ones are the lesser known ones? What a weird post!

I' sorry are you new? I was mostly addressing long time regulars of this thread. And by 'lesser known' I meant not bands that we regard as common knowledge awesome; Amethyst, Siren, Cyperus, Angellic Rage, Screamer, Crimson Glory, Salem Spade are all pretty well known in certain circles.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:58 pm 

SolstafirAquilaria wrote:
Black Hole and Paul Chain are both cool as hell. But, haha, this isn't the doom thread, is it?... :P

People don't visit the doom thread unfortunately :( Do it ballheads!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:07 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Alright ball'eads. I've been trying to track down tonnes of bands with this search, but am having a toughtime finding 99% of them. I NEED all of these bands. I simply can't find stuff online by a lot of these artists. Anyone familiar with any of the lesser known ones? I need more bitchin US power/prog type stuff. Someone help me find some of this stuff, some of these bands look bitchin, and look at the rad band names.

Pretty sure strappado has Scythian Oath, Moltens Lore, Syrus, Blackkout, and Kinetic Dissent. I've got Chozzen Phate's demo if you still need that.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:39 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
...we... common knowledge ... certain circles...

Oh, forgive me for not being part of you special club.
Regime, Lord Bane, Syrus, Unleashed Power are all well known in my circle.

I still don't understand what it is you want, but I'll try harder to read your mind in the future. I will leave you to it now.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:03 pm 

I just noticed I have missed out COMPLETELY on english power metal bands.

Germany have their Running Wild, Grave Digger, Scanner etc etc, USA have Riot, Manowar bla bla bla and I know a few others for other contries but for some reason I just don't know ANY english bands. I might know one but cannot name one right now... Hahaha!

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:13 pm 

Cloven Hoof, Elixir, and Full Moon are good English PM-ish bands. The latter two are closer to epic heavy metal, but they have some PM elements.

I also like Dragonforce's debut, but I think I'm in the minority on that.

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:29 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Cloven Hoof, Elixir, and Full Moon are good English PM-ish bands. The latter two are closer to epic heavy metal, but they have some PM elements.

Want to know a secret?

I like most of Dragonforce's stuff. I know right?

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:01 pm 

I'd say the debut is some of the better Europower out there, especially stuff like the title track, Black Fire, and Evening Star. Sonic Firestorm is pretty decent, "Fields of Despair" and "Dawn Over a New World" are the standout tracks for me. After that I don't really care about them. IR and UB are too poppy for my tastes, and the new singer is boring as all hell.

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:08 pm 

I dunno, they're pretty much as close to pop as my listening gets, besides maybe Queen, so I don't really mind too much.

Now, is there any bands with gory fantasy lyrics? I've looked in the death metal genre quite a bit and never found anything, but I was wondering if there was anything on this side of the fence. (I might also ask in the death/doom thread or somesuch.) I'm ideally looking for something that has lyrics about say, fighting a dragon, but goes in depth into the sword cuts and disembowling the creature, or going into extreme detail about how it eats the ill fated hero. I want what would happen if a gore fan got ahold of seventies styled fantasy comics and threw in a bit of Edgar Allan Poe.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:19 pm 

Ballistic's full-length has some lyrics like that. Can't think of any others at the moment.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:28 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:

Pretty sure strappado has Scythian Oath, Moltens Lore, Syrus, Blackkout, and Kinetic Dissent. I've got Chozzen Phate's demo if you still need that.

Yeah Syrus, Blackkout and Kinetic Dissent i'm aware of but Scythian Oath, Moltens Lore, Chozzen Phate i've been super keen to check out! Will have another sniff around today. Coolest band names. So typical US prog/power!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:03 pm 

Sonic Firestorm is where it's at for Dragonforce. Ultra Beatdown is my second favorite, that album is tons of fun. They'll never be a truly great band, but SF is where they got the closest to it - unique songwriting, hooky tunes, etc. Pretty much all the songs on SF are good.

The new one isn't very good though, in comparison - a pretty average album.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:13 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Sonic Firestorm is where it's at for Dragonforce. Ultra Beatdown is my second favorite, that album is tons of fun.

Same here, actually. Third would be their debut, their newest fourth, and Inhuman Rampage sucks.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:34 pm 

IR is okay, it's just not very memorable aside from the excellent first two songs. Pretty formulaic with SF too. The actual songs aren't too bad or anything, but it's not worth listening to over the others.

I've been listening to a couple old PM albums I discovered when I first got into metal...Heavenly - Virus and Masterplan - MKII, pretty cool stuff even now. It seems like back in the early and mid-2000s we were getting great PM albums like these all the time. These days...not so much. I mean both of these bands have released really shitty albums since.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:42 pm 

Doomed Cowboy wrote:
Now, is there any bands with gory fantasy lyrics? I've looked in the death metal genre quite a bit and never found anything, but I was wondering if there was anything on this side of the fence. (I might also ask in the death/doom thread or somesuch.) I'm ideally looking for something that has lyrics about say, fighting a dragon, but goes in depth into the sword cuts and disembowling the creature, or going into extreme detail about how it eats the ill fated hero. I want what would happen if a gore fan got ahold of seventies styled fantasy comics and threw in a bit of Edgar Allan Poe.

I think you might be looking for CAULDRON BORN.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:57 am 

Jophelerx wrote:

Yeah I know Cloven Hoof, always thought it was an american band. But I don't like them too much, and I think I might be traumatized by their video from a few years ago, I'm your nemesis... Fucking shit!

Checked out Full Moon, hahaha couldn't they have tuned their damn guitar before recording? :ugh:
Kinda like the singer tho, sounds a bit like the The Damned singer.
Not what I was expecting, sounds a lot like some 70s rock band. I might get into this actually

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:10 am 

The ultimate Full Moon track is undoubtedly Euphoric Dance

Man, the effects on that rhythm guitar are just out of this world. And then SOLOS, SOLOS EVERYWHERE

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:17 am 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
Cloven Hoof...don't like them too much...

Do what now?

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:13 am 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
Yeah I know Cloven Hoof

For power metal Cloven Hoof, check the album A Sultan's Ransom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl5bgXgi2s4

Quote:
english power metal bands.

Balance of Power, a bit on the prog side
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7znkACEgT8
Shadowkeep
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nbDbxNT7o4
Intense
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vghYmBeBvkw

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:22 am 

Hey DRD, have you heard Valhalla from that list?

Just listened to a couple of tracks on Youtube and it sounds pretty legit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecSL71xzURY

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:40 am 

NWNPROD.COM HAS COPIES OF CLOVEN HOOF'S DEBUT ON TAPE FOR 10 DOLLARS!

We're talking legit releases from Neat records, some dead stock in mint condition apparently. I've NEVER been able to find this thing for less than 90 dollars on CD so I went ahead and ordered it. I probably should have snagged two because I'm going to wear this tape down to NOTHING when it shows up. NOTHING.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:24 pm 

On tape? Man, I don't even own a tapedeck anymore.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:27 pm 

I'm so glad my stereo still has one...two in fact so I can dub copies for all my friends (ha!) and pretend its the 80s! The tape is so beautiful, white with light blue text. I just hope it isn't demolished in the mail.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:04 pm 

I'm looking some some ultra melodic fast paced flower power metal in the vein of Dragonforce and Crimson Shadows. Those are two bands that perfectly suit the genre I want. Cleans or harshes don't matter. Symphonics are fine as long as they don't detract from the rest. No bad production please. I checked out Power Quest and Pathfinder and decently liked both.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:49 pm 

Indecency wrote:
in the vein of Dragonforce

Cellador
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5bZTwaGTXk

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:52 pm 

It's been talked about, but why couldn't Manowar release more albums like Battle Hymns? I know artists don't want to stagnate and Into Glory Ride and the two 84 releases kick ass, but I love the combination of bouncy rock and roll and epic tracks. The prentiousness is at a career low and hearing Adams sing about stuff besides metal-ness, vikings and raping and pillaging is nice. The band also sounds like they're having fun too. Always found it strange how Ross the Boss could go from a band like the Dictators to Manowar and BH is kind of the bridge between to the two bands.

Heh, I just found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nia8R0YbDtk Rather interesting interview due to how early it is in their career.

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:47 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
NWNPROD.COM HAS COPIES OF CLOVEN HOOF'S DEBUT ON TAPE FOR 10 DOLLARS!

We're talking legit releases from Neat records, some dead stock in mint condition apparently. I've NEVER been able to find this thing for less than 90 dollars on CD so I went ahead and ordered it. I probably should have snagged two because I'm going to wear this tape down to NOTHING when it shows up. NOTHING.

Hmm. It might be worth grabbing considering CD is so high. I'm scared to even look up vinyl...

NWOBHM shit is nearly as bad as black metal sometimes. (Of course, Doom and Power metal both have their fair share of hard to get ahold of shit.)

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:57 am 

Opus wrote:
Indecency wrote:
in the vein of Dragonforce

Cellador
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5bZTwaGTXk

That would be a great rec but I totally forgot that I already have that band in my library. Them and Ascension are 2 other bands I have and like.

Thanks anyways. Anyone got anything else?

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:45 am 

Galneryus play power metal that is reminiscent of Dragonforce in that it's "flashy" and "hyperspeed" as I like to describe it. I was going to link some tracks from their debut, The Flag of Punishment, but the first two songs weren't really on youtube, so I gave up. Just directly comparing them to Dragonforce is probably selling them just a bit short, though...

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:34 am 

WaywardSon wrote:
It's been talked about, but why couldn't Manowar release more albums like Battle Hymns?

SHELLSHOOO-EE-OOOCKED!!! ...Sorry. I know exactly what you mean though. IGR is still pretty new to me and I like it a lot but sometimes I just want to jump straight to those last two impossibly heavy songs. Battle Hymns is a joy to listen to from front to back every single fucking time, and it IS something about that perfect combination of hard rock sensibilities and a pubescent epic touch. Shell Shocked and Death Tone are beautiful, and Dark Avenger gives me goose bumps almost every single time.

Doomed Cowboy wrote:
NWOBHM shit is nearly as bad as black metal sometimes.

Maybe it's this way on vinyl, but I've found that with CDs almost EVERYTHING worth owning seems to have been re-released ad nauseam. So as long as you're not an aspy collector looking for some 7" that was never good in the first place it seems pretty easy to build a formidable NWOBHM collection in the modern era. I mean even Desolation Angels and Deep Switch are fully and readily available...god I love Deep Switch so much.

I don't know what the deal is with Cloven Hoof's early material being so scarce.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:45 pm 

Marriage II is a perfect album without Emalaith and Strawgirl. I'm going to start skipping those and listening to this thing a LOT more often. Pursino is such a master at knowing exactly how and when to let a riff breathe...those excellent little pauses make it so much better.

Can't wait for Invictus to show up.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:48 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Marriage II is a perfect album without Emalaith and Strawgirl. I'm going to start skipping those and listening to this thing a LOT more often. Pursino is such a master at knowing exactly how and when to let a riff breathe...those excellent little pauses make it so much better.

You just named my two favorites on the whole album. Love those two tracks.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 397, 398, 399, 400, 401, 402, 403 ... 624  Next