Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:03 pm 

Have you seen any of the films of Enki Bilal, failsafeman? All three are pretty interesting. Not exactly cyberpunk, but close enough that I wouldn't fault anyone for calling them that. Good luck trying to find Bunker Palace Hotel or Tykho Moon through legal means, though (I certainly couldn't).

Oh, speaking of French cyberpunk movies, has anyone here seen Chrysalis? Again, not a great movie, but not a WHOLE lot worse than your Strange Days or your Johnny Mnemonics. Certainly worth a gander to Gibson fans, that's for sure.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Last edited by darkeningday on Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:31 pm 

Yeah, I've seen Immortel (Ad Vitem) and loved the style and weirdness, but thought the plot and characterization were kinda meh. It reminded me a lot of The Fifth Element, what with the magical girl and the wacky weird science/supernatural stuff, but obviously it was much more serious. Worth the watch, but definitely style over substance. As for whether or not it was cyberpunk, I'd say it definitely had cyberpunk elements, but the movie itself tended to focus more on the supernatural side what with Horus and the floating pyramid and such. I could definitely see a movie focusing on different characters in the same setting being very cyberpunk, though. Now that I think about it, I'd definitely like to see more movies from the same guy.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:56 pm 

I completely agree with your assessment of Immortel; I really can't think of a movie that had a higher ratio of style over substance. For what it's worth, I found his previous two films to be almost the reverse of Immortel: kind of dull visual treatments (in no small part because of the shoestring budgets) but a whole hell of a lot more plot and character development.

I've been meaning to check out Bilal's comic books/graphic novels for some time now. They're apparently some of the very best sci-fi graphic novels in France, comparable to the better works of Moebius.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:00 am 

Well Neo was a hacker who sold stolen information to scummy looking people. That whole intro part had that goth/industrial bar thing. I guess it started as more cyberpunk then shifted to more of a sci-fi movie once he got out of the Matrix.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:05 am 

The Man with the Iron Fists - 4.5-5 out of 10.

Well.....that was a waist of two hours. I wasn't expecting anything great or even good, but maybe something good in a cheesy or dumb fun kind of way. But of course, how could I expect that from a film written by Eli Roth and directed by yet another rapper turned actor. I will say that I get what the movie wants to be....and I'm actually not against it, it was just in the wrong hands. There are a few good things in it. Russell Crowe doesn't save the film, but he is kind of fun to watch. Also, his knife/gun combo was actually pretty cool. Also, while he'll never be The Rock (a wrestler turned actor who can act), Batista does work in this kind of role, and if he stays to these roles, I have no qualms with him acting. Also, a few fight scenes, while far from innovative, where kind of entertaining to watch.

That few things said.......wow. RZA has some decent shots as a director, but for the most part, it mostly has lacking and sometimes confusing shots. Also.....he can't act for shit. I said Russell Crowe was fun, but when he dresses up as an oriental, he makes jokes that just are offensive. Lucy Liu is very much wasted, and let's face it, she's brought in to do something similar to her role in Kill Bill. Rick Yune is also wasted as well. Everyone else.....really isn't worth mentioning. Here's another problem, a lot of scenes in this film happens at a brothel, which includes numerous sex scenes and several females taking baths....and not 1 shot of nudity. My complaint of this is this film is chocked full of blood and guts, so why hold back there? One other little thing, at some point it brings up Buddhism and uses it as a means for someone to gain weapons of war.....fucking no.

Again, I get what this movie wanted to be. For a while, I was just bored with it, and I was wanting to give it something in the 6 range, but it has just a rushed, convoluted and very badly edited third act that it literally dropped my rating in the last 20 minutes. RZA, stay away from acting and directing. Eli Roth, I've said it before and I'll say it again, you got lucky with Hostel. Besides that, your a Hack.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:25 am 

Aurone wrote:
but when [Russell Crowe] dresses up as an oriental, he makes jokes that just are offensive.

I'm not sure this is intentional, but either way it's hilarious.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:35 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Aurone wrote:
but when [Russell Crowe] dresses up as an oriental, he makes jokes that just are offensive.

I'm not sure this is intentional, but either way it's hilarious.

I'll elaborate more, he does it to go undercover while something major goes down and not get noticed. That I'm actually fine with. My issue is that while he's having the make up applied by several Chinese women, he's making stereotypical sounds of an Asian and mocking how the talk. That's where I felt uncomfortable watching.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:59 am 

Oh, I was just laughing because you used the word "oriental," which is regarded in the United States as an atavistic and often extremely offensive term for an Asian, while you yourself were offended with the horrible caricature the film showed of an Asian person. That's all. I'm sure there was no ill will on your part; I just found it kind of amusing.

I watched the director's cut of The Man with Iron Fists when it first came out and I remember being mostly unfazed by it. As it stands, I can't really remember anything at all about it except that it was an ego trip for RZA and that Russell Crowe was alarmingly bad in it. That's surely not a good sign.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:04 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Well Neo was a hacker who sold stolen information to scummy looking people. That whole intro part had that goth/industrial bar thing. I guess it started as more cyberpunk then shifted to more of a sci-fi movie once he got out of the Matrix.

Yeah that's true, the setup with Neo in the Matrix was pretty cyberpunky. Honestly though the Matrix hasn't aged all that well for me, a lot of its appeal is based on the "wow factor" that isn't nearly as impressive today, and the philosophical stuff just seems kinda pretentious. Also, the human battery thing is just idiotic, considering they could have just made the human brains being used as organic computers or something. Still a decent action movie, though.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:08 am 

failsafeman wrote:
and the philosophical stuff just seems kinda pretentious.

I recall the Morpheus speech right before he handed Neo the red pill/blue pill choice being particularly egregious today. Although even at its worst, the vacuuous philosophical platitudes and irritatingly elaborate metaphors were nowhere near as bad as they were in the Wachowski's script for V for Vendetta, although I suspect that could be due more to Alan Moore's influence.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:00 am 

The main problem with V for Vendetta is that the source material just isn't that good to begin with. It just felt super duper preachy, and V himself was never really given any character beyond spouting political crap - which was doubly annoying considering he was railing against a total strawman Thatcherite dystopia. Alan, preachy self-righteousness only gets more irritating when it's over something YOU MADE UP.

For my money though, From Hell was actually pretty good, both the comic and the movie adaptation.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:08 am 

I'm just curious as to what you guys think about this, but it's official that Man of Steel 2 will be a Superman/Batman co-op movie.

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/official-b ... comic-con/

Honestly, if done right, this could be the best move for DC. It's a superhero team up that we've seen everywhere else but the big screen and would be a good gateway film for Justice League.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:49 am 

failsafeman wrote:
For my money though, From Hell was actually pretty good, both the comic and the movie adaptation.

I first and last saw that movie in 2006, but I remember being pretty impressed by it. The Hughes Brothers are great directors; Dead Presidents and especially Menace II Society are great movies, although I haven't had a chance to see The Book of Eli yet. Can anyone comment on that one's quality?

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:54 am 

I thought it sucked myself. Cinematically it does some cool things with the contrasts between fast shadowed action over the bright desert, but it's slow as fuck, and the twist at the end is just... all the stupid. All of it. Not a drop was spared.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:00 pm 

Aurone wrote:
I'm just curious as to what you guys think about this, but it's official that Man of Steel 2 will be a Superman/Batman co-op movie.

Honestly, if done right, this could be the best move for DC. It's a superhero team up that we've seen everywhere else but the big screen and would be a good gateway film for Justice League.

Christian Bale won't be doning the Batsuit, am I right? I'm asking because I can't access that link.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:07 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Aurone wrote:

Christian Bale won't be doning the Batsuit, am I right? I'm asking because I can't access that link.

As right now, no one has been cast as Batman, so that can count as a no for Bale, at least for now. Christopher Nolan though might return as producer.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:17 pm 

Well, I saw Movie 43. And while I'm not saying everyone should run out and rent it, all this "worst movie ever" talk is completely overblown. Sorry to keep bashing these same recent comedies over and over, but This Is 40, The Campaign, Identity Thief, Hangover 2, Due Date - each of these had fewer laughs than Movie 43.

My favorite part was Superhero Speed Dating, and I'll admit I laughed more than I should have at the Winslet / Jackman skit (the central joke is really immature, and was done on South Park years ago).

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:29 pm 

Pusher 3 was good, just finally checked it out last night. It definitely takes a certain chemistry to make human entrails twirling in a sink amusing. I really liked the use of sound & score in the film, as well. It stood out to me as the most effective and atmospheric use of it I've seen in a while (though I haven't been on a very big film streak for the last year). Cool shit, man. Great series. The guy who plays Milo has an astoundingly resonant voice box.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:57 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

I first and last saw that movie in 2006, but I remember being pretty impressed by it. The Hughes Brothers are great directors; Dead Presidents and especially Menace II Society are great movies, although I haven't had a chance to see The Book of Eli yet. Can anyone comment on that one's quality?

I enjoyed it a fair amount. I wouldn't say it's anything special, but it had good action, a decent plot, good acting (always a good idea to cast Gary Oldman as your villain), and good visuals. It made interesting points about the power of words and ideas to influence populations, and how religion and belief can be the most powerful tools of control even on a small scale. Hardly a great movie, but with all the post-apocalyptic movies coming out these days, The Book of Eli is definitely one of the better ones. There is a "big twist" at the end that might bother you, but it didn't bother me and it probably won't bother you if you like Japanese cinema much.

lord_ghengis wrote:
I thought it sucked myself. Cinematically it does some cool things with the contrasts between fast shadowed action over the bright desert, but it's slow as fuck, and the twist at the end is just... all the stupid. All of it. Not a drop was spared.

Eh, I don't think so. It's not terribly realistic, sure, but there's a sort of "legendary" feel to the whole thing. I liked it.
Spoiler: show
There are like 20 Zatoichi movies about a blind samurai in medieval Japan. "Blind swordmaster" is kind of a trope in Japan, but it was neat to see it applied to a very American context.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:45 pm 

Saw Oblivion. I don't know what to think about it; the first half is very slow and when the plot beings to unfold, I have this strange deja vu feeling that I've seen those twists and themes tons of times. It was not terrible, but hell, I feels utterly pointless.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:39 pm 

Oblivion's aesthetics seemed very interesting judging from the trailers, but Tom Cruise is the lead actor, so fuck that movie.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:22 pm 

Tom Cruise rules, and so did that movie.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:06 pm 

I just I find him to be extremely unconvincing and dull in general, the only exception being his role as a contract killer in Collateral.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:55 pm 

I offered my opinion of Oblivion earlier in this thread; while I didn't exactly hate it, I didn't find it particularly good either. I'll post a slightly edited version of what I wrote because my views on it haven't changed and I don't really wanna re-type it all.

darkeningday wrote:
[Oblivion] wasn't awful; I just found the second half really uninspired and sort of nonsensical:
What was the significance of choosing Tom Cruise's character to serve as blueprint for the massive clone army? Freeman's rationalization that "[the HALiens] took our best man and turned him against us" sounded fairly poetic and all but made little rational sense; while it might destabilize (American) morale initially, I doubt it would have had any lasting effect, especially across the entire world. How would The Roboaliens even have known that the very first two humans they came in contact with were national heroes? ALSO: The robot aliens can produce infinite easily deprogrammable Tom Cruises but have to stretch their extremely effective (and unwaveringly loyal, easily controlled) manhacks so thinly they're always miles apart from eachother...? Since when is biomatter so much more easily generated than mechanical? Or did I just miss something here?

Cool first half, though, outside of some wishy-washy radio chatter that served more as an obstacle to soaking up the atmosphere than it did as an effective vessel for dispensing Act I exposition (which would be repeated again and again and again before it was finally useful anyway.)

Necroticism174 wrote:
Tom Cruise rules

Watch Cocktail and then try to say that with a straight face.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:11 pm 

I would rather not :p
Honestly though, I've thouroughly enjoyed everything I've seen him in except The Firm (yes, even MI:2). Haven't seen Taps or Jerry Macguire though, but don't care much to.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:22 pm 

I also just saw Oblivion and thought it was great. The plot unfolded nicely, it looked great and M83 did a wonderful job with the soundtrack. Sure, there were a couple of sort of dumb/lame plot holes, but they didn't really bother me all that much. I also liked stuff like:

The sort of odd relationship between Jack and Victoria, how they're intimate but not exactly in love with one another (or at least it doesn't seem that way) - more like extremely strong sexual tension. The icing on the cake is the flashback scene near the end where it shows the tension developing as they're flying into the Tet. I just thought it was sort of cool how they had that really awkward but human sort of interaction that cascaded down through all of the clones, but the clones themselves didn't seem to ever be able to move beyond that flirty stage.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:33 pm 

For everyone here who loved Pacific Rim, del Toro has confirmed a sequel.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:27 pm 

Saw Pacific Rim the other day. It was essentially one enormous gaping plot hole, although entertaining enough for a mindless action flick. I do have to say that Ron Perlman's character was fucking hilarious. Just saw Gonzo, a documentary about Hunter S. Thompson. Interesting stuff, and I do have to say that Hunter is one of my favourite writers. What I found especially interesting was him struggling with the perception that he was becoming a caricature of himself. They had some pretty interesting people speak in it, probably most notably president Jimmy Carter talking about how he was sneaking alcohol into a press conference.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:19 am 

Aurone wrote:
For everyone here who loved Pacific Rim, del Toro has confirmed a sequel.

Yay! :-D

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:26 am 

Conjuring- I enjoyed it and felt tense at times, but not one to be seen with a big crowd, since they all act like morons.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:47 am 

Speaking of sequels, there is a possibility of a Dredd sequel.

I'm yet to watch Pacific Rim but it seems the good things said on the board will ensure that I do so soon.

I chanced upon Deadfall (2012) the other day while looking for other movies which feature Charlie Hunnam. I was curious about his work apart from Greenstreet Hooligans and Sons of Anarchy. The movie also has Eric Bana in a negative role and I can't quite say I found him that convincing playing that character. But anyway, the movie trudges along with some decent scenes and some boring ones. The plot is pretty much about two siblings (Bana and Olivia Wilde) who are running away from the cops for a heist and some killings, and how their plans are temporarily thwarted by them coming across the other characters in the movie. The three-ish subplots (mini-stories) of the movie are interconnected in the end. I enjoyed the cold wintry setting and overall, I'd say this thriller/drama movie was slightly above average and watchable.

Rating: 5.5/10

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:10 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I would rather not :p
Honestly though, I've thouroughly enjoyed everything I've seen him in except The Firm (yes, even MI:2). Haven't seen Taps or Jerry Macguire though, but don't care much to.

Yeah i actually against my will like Tom Cruise too. It sucks, coz i'm pretty sure im supposed to hate him. Anyways, allow me to explain: I really only find him convincing and suited to those films where he plays a successful, confident pretty boy type - youthful, perhaps arrogant, cocky, boyish, all there for ladies to have sex appeal younger man stuff; Risky Business, Rain Main definitely. In Rain Man his character's cocky handsome business jerk character is just right for Cruise. As for other films, like Last Samurai (which almost against my will, i liked - review here http://rateyourmusic.com/film/the_last_samurai/) I find him a bit of an odd choice for casting. I just think his legacy of charming youthful pretty boy movies (Risky Business, Cocktail etc) excludes him as being a suitable candidate for an old timey war general. They really needed someone gruffer. Not neccessarily Jeff Bridges in Coen Bros' True Grit gruff, but somewhat manlier, more grizzled - compare Costner in Dances with Wolves. Tom Cruise is a tad dainty for that type of thing. So while i actually do kinda like him, i only really like him where he basically plays himself - a boyish pansy.

Note: I haven't seen Jerry MacGuire, or Mission Impossible.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:48 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
I just I find him to be extremely unconvincing and dull in general, the only exception being his role as a contract killer in Collateral.

Collateral? Seriously? I thought Tom Cruise was horribly, horribly miscast in that movie, and essentially ruined it for me. And that's coming from someone who LOVES Michael Mann.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:18 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

Collateral? Seriously? I thought Tom Cruise was horribly, horribly miscast in that movie, and essentially ruined it for me. And that's coming from someone who LOVES Michael Mann.

Agreed. See above. Again the role would have been far cooler if it went to someone a bit gruffer, manlier, perhaps grizzled, or just plain sinister. Gary Oldman? I didn't get round to watching COllateral till more recently and i was pretty disappointed. I mean, the whole thing seemed like it could have been a bit cooler, largely with a cooler villain.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:53 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

Seriously. Maybe it's because his role there is extremely different compared to what he usually does, but I liked him there and only there.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:43 pm 

I did not care for Collateral at all. Just like Jack Reacher, Cruise is not good at playing bad asses.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:00 pm 

Have you not seen any of the Mission Impossible movies? Or maybe, you know, MOTHERFUCKING TOP GUN!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:08 pm 

For me it was just that Cruise wasn't at all good at playing a charismatic villain. Now, I don't think the movie would have been a classic with someone else, but the movie just focuses so much on his character and the character played by Jamie Foxx (who did a good job, incidentally) that it kind of lives or dies on how believable those two are. Robert DeNiro for example would have nailed it; his character in Mann's earlier movie Heat wasn't too much different from the hitman in Collateral, and I'm sure he could have knocked it out of the park.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:12 pm 

Yeah, you're right. Come to think of it, though, Collateral is definitely my least favourite Mann movie. Though I haven't seen Miami Vice :roll:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:55 pm 

I don't know, Public Enemies was pretty weak. Tried way too hard to be realistic, at the expense of real character development and drama and good dialog. Some things about it were great - the movie looked fantastic - but whoever wrote the screenplay seemed totally OK with not trying to delve into the character's motivations at all and just relay the facts. I'm pretty sure the book it was based on was non-fiction, and it shows.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 411, 412, 413, 414, 415, 416, 417 ... 818  Next