Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zero_Nowhere
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:11 pm
Posts: 513
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:21 am 
 

metallicbrian666 wrote:
The new Kromosom is out, and it's noisy as fuck

http://kromosom.bandcamp.com/album/nuclear-reich


I've had the pleasure of seeing them live.

So. Much. Treble.

Top
 Profile  
Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:32 pm
Posts: 340
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:24 am 
 

So, I am new to the world of punk (not really, I already listen to crossover thrash, grindcore, stuff like S.O.B. and Beyond Description) and am looking for crust/d-beat bands like Wolfbrigade/Wolfpack, with a metal like clear production like on Wolfpack's album, Lycanthro Punk. I also listen to Nuclear Death Terror, Gelo, Filthpact, and Survivors Will be Shot Again (I'm not sure what punk genre Filthpact and SWBSA are, maybe a mix of crust and powerviolence?) if this gives you any help. Also, another example of what I am looking for is Warcollapse, thanks to whoever mentioned it. :thumbsup: Also, what is the difference between normal crust punk and stenchcore?
_________________
THEMICRULAH wrote:
IT'S THE SAME INVERTED AS REGULAR?! MY BRAIN IS BROKEN! TOTAL SATAN!

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
holy fuck what the fuck is that garbage? Though it's more interesting than Summoning ever will be.


Last edited by Cthulhu_Fhtagn on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
metallicbrian666
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 99
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:29 pm 
 

Zero_Nowhere wrote:
metallicbrian666 wrote:
The new Kromosom is out, and it's noisy as fuck

http://kromosom.bandcamp.com/album/nuclear-reich


I've had the pleasure of seeing them live.

So. Much. Treble.

Saw them at MDF, so good.....

I'll never understand how such a shitty guitar sound works so well for them

Top
 Profile  
the_raytownian
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:09 am
Posts: 2150
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:44 pm 
 

Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:
Also, what is the difference between normal crust punk and stenchcore?


Pretty sure this has been asked before, and I think the general consensus was basically nothing, and that the term "stenchcore" came about around the same time as "crust" to describe the same or similar bands/music. Crust just became the more universally accepted term.

They aren't really any different, though. Not as far as I'm concerned.

I do associate the term "Stenchore" heavily with Sore Throat, though (specifically stuff like "Never Mind the Napalm...").
_________________
Disgrace to the corpse of Metal Archives!
Discogs

Top
 Profile  
Zero_Nowhere
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:11 pm
Posts: 513
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:53 am 
 

the_raytownian wrote:
Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:
Also, what is the difference between normal crust punk and stenchcore?


Pretty sure this has been asked before, and I think the general consensus was basically nothing, and that the term "stenchcore" came about around the same time as "crust" to describe the same or similar bands/music. Crust just became the more universally accepted term.

They aren't really any different, though. Not as far as I'm concerned.

I do associate the term "Stenchore" heavily with Sore Throat, though (specifically stuff like "Never Mind the Napalm...").


I can only speak for how its used locally, but my understanding was that (when its not used interchangeably) stenchcore was used to describe the more overtly metallic (and generally heavier/more doomy) crust bands.

Top
 Profile  
vgmaster9
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 1:26 am
Posts: 71
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:30 pm 
 

Any good post-hardcore bands out there that aren't considered teen shit?

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1224
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:33 am 
 

vgmaster9 wrote:
Any good post-hardcore bands out there that aren't considered teen shit?



You mean post hardcore like Pg 99 (Screamo)? or post hardcore like Envy? I assume you know the usual suspects, Orchid, etc.

Regardless....

My Fictions :went through a period of having to listen to them 3-4 times a day, couldn't do without it. Really good stuff.

http://myfictions.bandcamp.com/


Ruined Families : Same deal, when I first heard this Greek band I couldn't get enough, nearly listened to nothing else.

http://ruinedfamilies.bandcamp.com/

Momentum members of Fall of Efrafa (who you should also check out if you don't know them)

http://alertaantifascistarecords.bandca ... azor-lp-cd

Shizune decent Japanese band dropped an ep last year.

http://shizune.bandcamp.com/

The City is the Tower Really surprised how much I liked this as it's pretty damn poppy, but gets super heavy too. Also a band sanctioned DL

http://www.mediafire.com/download/bj4zk ... yIdeas.zip

http://initrecords.bandcamp.com/album/d ... on-of-life
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
Yayattasa
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:49 am
Posts: 513
Location: Brazil
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:29 am 
 

Yesterday went to a show by these guys in my hometown. Oh boy...



I like how hardcore is personal (way more personal than any metal genre). It just builds up in the live performances.

~~~~

They make it clear they are not associated with and don't support any fascist or NS group.

_________________
inhumanist wrote:
Arkhane wrote:
Damn, I thought this thread was headed for closure. Good save, whoever saved it but I'm too lazy to scroll up right now.

oh my god people disagreed on something for several pages stop the presses

Top
 Profile  
dystopia4
Veteran

Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:47 pm
Posts: 3498
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:36 am 
 

the_raytownian wrote:
FleshMonolith wrote:
none. but if you have to go there the only remotely good ones are choking victim/loc


This is basically true... but then CV/LOC aren't even that good. I think their weirdly obsessive fans might be worse, though.
Propagandhi's not so great though, either, to be fair... :-P

Completely disagree with everything you said. Choking Victim and LOC are awesome (gotta love that crack rock steady beat). I was absolutely obsessed with them when I was younger. There's a lot of shock rock gimmicks surrounding the bands, but I think they have the music to back it up. "Fuck World Trade" is such a good album. I dig some Propagandhi. Their first album is pretty much a perfect pop punk album and Todays Empires... is really aggressive and just kicks huge amounts of ass. However, I will admit that not all their stuff is great. Here's a pretty good combo of crust punk and ska:
_________________
http://ifthisishellthenimlucky.blogspot.ca/

Top
 Profile  
the_raytownian
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:09 am
Posts: 2150
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:53 pm 
 

the_raytownian wrote:
CV/LOC aren't even that good. I think their weirdly obsessive fans might be worse, though.

dystopia4 wrote:
Completely disagree with everything you said. Choking Victim and LOC are awesome (gotta love that crack rock steady beat). I was absolutely obsessed with them when I was younger.


Case in point (no offense).
_________________
Disgrace to the corpse of Metal Archives!
Discogs

Top
 Profile  
dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:16 pm
Posts: 2105
Location: Hotlanta, USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:45 am 
 

They never wrote a better song than In Hell which coincidentally (or maybe not so coincidentally) has no ska in it whatsoever.
_________________
SPEWTILATOR - Play Fast // Smoke Grass
NEW 'Goathrower' EP out Feb 14th on Boris Records!
'Ancient Rites of Getting Conjured' split CS w/ Coffin Dust out on Headsplit Rekords!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Top
 Profile  
Mechanix11
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:33 pm
Posts: 130
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:30 pm 
 

FleshMonolith wrote:
Mechanix11 wrote:

Thanks for the recommendations
No Comment, Infest, Spazz and Despise You are awesome :headbang:


Yeah dogg. If you like those older bands you might as well check out the rest of that stuff.
Lack of Interest

Apartment 213

Crossed Out

Man is the Bastard

Capitalist Casualties

Asshole Parade


Thanks for the recommendations!

Also anyone knows any good recent hardcore punk bands?
I only found this band called Direct Control.

Top
 Profile  
The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:29 pm
Posts: 1485
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:11 pm 
 

Mechanix11 wrote:
Also anyone knows any good recent hardcore punk bands?
I only found this band called Direct Control.


If you like DC You would do well to check out these two bands:

Government warning (Same vocalist as DC) http://gravemistakerecords.bandcamp.com/album/paranoid-mess
Citizens Patrol: http://sorrystaterecords.bandcamp.com/album/citizens-patrol

Cheers
_________________
Resident Speedmetal, and Metalpunk warrior
R.I.P Keith Deen, Vocalist for the almighty Holy Terror.

Top
 Profile  
xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:59 pm
Posts: 845
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:37 am 
 

Direct Control rules. Wish Brandon would start that up again in Rochester since he fucking lives here. All we got is that stupid new band Obsessor which is not that good.

Early Culo is good. I would also check out Bukakke Boys, Eel, Ratface and Brain Killer.
_________________
Western NY Metal Scene Facebook page.
Controlled by Fear. Grindcore. Split with Special Buddy Discount out now.

Top
 Profile  
dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:16 pm
Posts: 2105
Location: Hotlanta, USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:49 pm 
 

Seconding GW, CP, Culo, and BB recs.

I'll add:

Dernier Combat (Kinda Poison Idea-ish)
http://derniercombat.bandcamp.com/

Gas Chamber (Noisy as shit with great bass work)
http://feebleminds.bandcamp.com/album/g ... ber-s-t-lp

Murder-Suicide Pact (Heavy Black Flag vibes)
http://givepraiserecords.bandcamp.com/a ... it-or-dont

Nunhex (Fast and raw)
http://nunhex.bandcamp.com/album/ep

Paradox (D Beat worship)
http://paradoxatl.bandcamp.com/

Satanic Threat (Minor Threat worship... but about Satan)
http://hellsheadbangers.bandcamp.com/album/in-to-hell

Stoic Violence (Straight up and raging hc)
http://stoicviolence.bandcamp.com/album ... iolence-12

The Impalers (If Motorhead played Venom covers... or the other way around)
http://theimpalers.bandcamp.com/album/lp

Mother Speed (If Youth of Today smoked weed and chugged Steel Reserve)
http://yakuzzitapes.bandcamp.com/album/ ... split-tape

Koro (Similar vibes to DC and GW)
http://sorrystaterecords.bandcamp.com/album/speed-kills

Double Negative (Noisy and raaaaaaad)
http://sorrystaterecords.bandcamp.com/a ... -confusion

Mercenary (New band with members of Bukkake Boys)
http://scavengerofdeathrecords.bandcamp ... /demo-tape

Manic (Similar vibes to DC etc.)
http://scavengerofdeathrecords.bandcamp ... anic-s-t-7

That's probably enough for now haha... there's a LOT more!
_________________
SPEWTILATOR - Play Fast // Smoke Grass
NEW 'Goathrower' EP out Feb 14th on Boris Records!
'Ancient Rites of Getting Conjured' split CS w/ Coffin Dust out on Headsplit Rekords!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Top
 Profile  
xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:59 pm
Posts: 845
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:53 am 
 

Super recommend Gas Chamber! Seeing them open for Tragedy in a few weeks with Water Torture.

HERE ARE A FEW MORE!

Running For Cover: Pre-Gas Chamber power violence band

Destrux: Awesome thrash-y hardcore from Rochester, NY with my good friend on drums.

17th Class: Mutant hardcore from Rochester, NY.

Nightstick Justice: 80's sounding hardcore.

Zero Progress: Straight edge hardcore from California. $wing Chain$.

Effluxus: Noise hardcore from San Fransisco.
_________________
Western NY Metal Scene Facebook page.
Controlled by Fear. Grindcore. Split with Special Buddy Discount out now.

Top
 Profile  
Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:32 pm
Posts: 340
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:12 pm 
 

Maybe I should have been more clear for what I was looking for. Based on what stenchcore is, I am looking for d-beaty stenchcore like Wolfpack/Wolfbrigade, Warcollapse, and Nuclear Death Terror.
_________________
THEMICRULAH wrote:
IT'S THE SAME INVERTED AS REGULAR?! MY BRAIN IS BROKEN! TOTAL SATAN!

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
holy fuck what the fuck is that garbage? Though it's more interesting than Summoning ever will be.


Last edited by Cthulhu_Fhtagn on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:59 pm
Posts: 845
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:09 am 
 

i would definitely check out Instince of Survival. Sick crustcore stuff. Got a mix of crust, grindcore and bolt thrower worship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi_nVakXuxA
_________________
Western NY Metal Scene Facebook page.
Controlled by Fear. Grindcore. Split with Special Buddy Discount out now.

Top
 Profile  
Mechanix11
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:33 pm
Posts: 130
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:39 pm 
 

hey thanks for the recommendations!
i'm going to keep listening some songs, there are a lot of bands to hear :np:
Also, anyone could suggest some thrashcore/fastcore bands to listen or what bands are part of the genre?

Top
 Profile  
Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:32 pm
Posts: 340
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:17 pm 
 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
i would definitely check out Instince of Survival. Sick crustcore stuff. Got a mix of crust, grindcore and bolt thrower worship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi_nVakXuxA

Already listen to them, but thanks anyway.
_________________
THEMICRULAH wrote:
IT'S THE SAME INVERTED AS REGULAR?! MY BRAIN IS BROKEN! TOTAL SATAN!

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
holy fuck what the fuck is that garbage? Though it's more interesting than Summoning ever will be.

Top
 Profile  
Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:32 pm
Posts: 340
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:19 pm 
 

Mechanix11 wrote:
hey thanks for the recommendations!
i'm going to keep listening some songs, there are a lot of bands to hear :np:
Also, anyone could suggest some thrashcore/fastcore bands to listen or what bands are part of the genre?

S.O.B. has a little bit of thrashcore (although I'm not really too sure which albums, maybe Gate of Doom? I'm not very knowledgeable about thrashcore at all.)
_________________
THEMICRULAH wrote:
IT'S THE SAME INVERTED AS REGULAR?! MY BRAIN IS BROKEN! TOTAL SATAN!

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
holy fuck what the fuck is that garbage? Though it's more interesting than Summoning ever will be.

Top
 Profile  
thrashmaniac87
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 281
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:44 pm 
 

Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:
Maybe I should have been more clear for what I was looking for. Based on what stenchcore is, I am looking for d-beaty stenchcore like Wolfpack/Wolfbrigade, Warcallapse, and Nuclear Death Terror.


I assume you already know about Deviated Instinct, Hellbastard, and Axegrinder. Check out Anti-Cimex. After they broke up their singer started Wolfpack. Also check out Saw Throat, Life Cycle, Apocalypse, Effigy, A.G.E., Zoe.



http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Lif ... 3540328879
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Apocalypse/129946
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Effigy/29997
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/A.G.E/3540360345
_________________
"Also Nasum isn't grindcore." - Violent_Possessor

Top
 Profile  
blood_and_fire
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:26 pm
Posts: 173
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:47 pm 
 

Anyone got any next level d-beat bands like Disclose? Just faster/noisier Discharge stuff please!

Top
 Profile  
dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:16 pm
Posts: 2105
Location: Hotlanta, USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:47 pm 
 

Mechanix11 wrote:
Also, anyone could suggest some thrashcore/fastcore bands to listen or what bands are part of the genre?


I don't think thrashcore is really a thing anymore, it was kinda used back when thrash and hardcore initially were mixing (DRI, Cryptic Slaughter, etc.) but it isn't really a relevant term anymore... to my knowledge anyway. As for fastcore... the bands that call themselves that now (Hummingbird of Death, Backslider, xBraniax) are a bit different from the originators of that term. In the beginning (90's) it was just a term for hardcore bands who played fast as fuck that didn't want to be associated with any sub-genre nonsense like powerviolence. Bands like Heresy, Ripcord, and Hellnation would be examples of the first wave of bands calling themselves fastcore.

Here's some links to some of the newer bands...

Backslider
http://tolivealie.bandcamp.com/album/maladapted-7

xBraniax
http://tolivealie.bandcamp.com/album/hail-fastcore-cd

Hummingbird of Death
http://tolivealie.bandcamp.com/album/sh ... f-haste-cd

Human Junk (these dudes play in the style of Hellnation and kill it!)
http://humanjunk.bandcamp.com/album/hj- ... rica-split
_________________
SPEWTILATOR - Play Fast // Smoke Grass
NEW 'Goathrower' EP out Feb 14th on Boris Records!
'Ancient Rites of Getting Conjured' split CS w/ Coffin Dust out on Headsplit Rekords!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Top
 Profile  
thrashmaniac87
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 281
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:47 pm 
 

blood_and_fire wrote:
Anyone got any next level d-beat bands like Disclose? Just faster/noisier Discharge stuff please!


Framtid, Bastard, D-Clone, Disaster, early Disfear.
_________________
"Also Nasum isn't grindcore." - Violent_Possessor

Top
 Profile  
Dragunov
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:34 pm
Posts: 2328
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:49 pm 
 

I must listen to that God's America/Human Junk split 7" at least...everyday since I got it months ago. Also, D-Clone's latest record is fucking awesome. FUCK RIFFS
_________________
HamburgerBoy wrote:
Chugging DURDURDUR is more metal than airy lelelelelelelelleele.

Top
 Profile  
blood_and_fire
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:26 pm
Posts: 173
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:13 pm 
 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:
blood_and_fire wrote:
Anyone got any next level d-beat bands like Disclose? Just faster/noisier Discharge stuff please!


Framtid, Bastard, D-Clone, Disaster, early Disfear.



Heard all those except Bastard, I'll check them out thanks!

edit. Of course they're Japanese. Man, that country pretty much rules noisy fast punk.

Top
 Profile  
Morton Salt
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:25 pm
Posts: 49
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:35 pm 
 

Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:
Mechanix11 wrote:
hey thanks for the recommendations!
i'm going to keep listening some songs, there are a lot of bands to hear :np:
Also, anyone could suggest some thrashcore/fastcore bands to listen or what bands are part of the genre?

S.O.B. has a little bit of thrashcore (although I'm not really too sure which albums, maybe Gate of Doom? I'm not very knowledgeable about thrashcore at all.)


S.O.B.'s thrashiest hardcore album would probably be their first one, Leave Me Alone. I think everything after that started to get more grind/metal.

Another really good fastcore/thrashcore band would be Quattro Stagioni from Germany. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OSIaGNDCtU

Top
 Profile  
Marag
Veteran

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:55 pm
Posts: 2660
Location: down there where chaos prevails
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:49 pm 
 

S.O.B's Leave Me Alone and Don't Be Swindle are thrashcore essentials, Leave Me Alone is definitely more punkish though.

----------

Can anyone recommend me some Oi essentials? I like Oi Polloi and Kill Baby Kill but other than that I'm ignorant of this genre.

Top
 Profile  
Mechanix11
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:33 pm
Posts: 130
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:35 pm 
 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Mechanix11 wrote:
Also, anyone could suggest some thrashcore/fastcore bands to listen or what bands are part of the genre?


I don't think thrashcore is really a thing anymore, it was kinda used back when thrash and hardcore initially were mixing (DRI, Cryptic Slaughter, etc.) but it isn't really a relevant term anymore... to my knowledge anyway. As for fastcore... the bands that call themselves that now (Hummingbird of Death, Backslider, xBraniax) are a bit different from the originators of that term. In the beginning (90's) it was just a term for hardcore bands who played fast as fuck that didn't want to be associated with any sub-genre nonsense like powerviolence. Bands like Heresy, Ripcord, and Hellnation would be examples of the first wave of bands calling themselves fastcore.

Here's some links to some of the newer bands...

Backslider
http://tolivealie.bandcamp.com/album/maladapted-7

xBraniax
http://tolivealie.bandcamp.com/album/hail-fastcore-cd

Hummingbird of Death
http://tolivealie.bandcamp.com/album/sh ... f-haste-cd

Human Junk (these dudes play in the style of Hellnation and kill it!)
http://humanjunk.bandcamp.com/album/hj- ... rica-split


thanks for the information.
Also listened to Backslider and is awesome. Im going to check S.O.B too, if there are any other stuff old or new school bands let me know.


Last edited by Mechanix11 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
the_raytownian
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:09 am
Posts: 2150
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:10 pm 
 

blood_and_fire wrote:
Of course they're Japanese. Man, that country pretty much rules noisy fast punk.


Yes, yes it does...

I'm sometimes a little bit unnecessarily concerned that uneducated individuals will write me off as an "otaku" or "weeaboo" who only requires something "be Japanese" to be good just because of how much Japanese Punk I tend to enjoy, but it's honestly just some of the fucking best.

Japanese punk from the 80's onward is some of the noisest, most chaotic and unhinged (even if musically simple and addictively catchy/Pop-oriented) Punk music around.

I chalk much of the harshness and generally fucking bonkers sound/vibe of a lot of Japanese Crasher Crust/Punk/D-Beat up to an abundance of vintage Japanese-made fuzzboxes and the unique ability of Asian vocalists to effortlessly sound like old, drunken vagrants or someone being disemboweled when they scream. The cultural divide and frequently absurd-sounding use of Engrish just makes it seem that much more nutty and chaotic.

I don't have too terribly many recommendations, though... I mean, there's a lot "in general", and a lot still that could be compared to the likes of Disclose.

From what I know right away and don't remember seeing mentioned so far:
Zyanose
Contrast Attitude
Reality Crisis (more "Crust", but still loud and noisy)

other stuff worth hearing (just because it's awesome):
Chaos CH.
Inzest
The Swankys
Shit Box
_________________
Disgrace to the corpse of Metal Archives!
Discogs

Top
 Profile  
OzzyApu
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 9663
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:28 pm 
 

I've been getting into bands like Elitist, Glass Cloud, While She Sleeps, and Your Memorial lately. Seeing similar artists on last.fm only deters me because of their appearance (dumb, I know), so does anyone have any good recs to the above kind of bands?

(similar to this)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWJ21M6kJXg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o_ZnVM4f84

A little dissonance is fine, but mainly going for that modern, riff-heavy angle. Clean vocals aren't a requirement, but I'd definitely prefer no wanky tech/prog. If you've got any that don't go overboard with it, though, I wouldn't mind taking a listen.

[posting in metalcore thread, too]
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Top
 Profile  
Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:32 pm
Posts: 340
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:03 pm 
 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:
Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:
Maybe I should have been more clear for what I was looking for. Based on what stenchcore is, I am looking for d-beaty stenchcore like Wolfpack/Wolfbrigade, Warcallapse, and Nuclear Death Terror.


I assume you already know about Deviated Instinct, Hellbastard, and Axegrinder. Check out Anti-Cimex. After they broke up their singer started Wolfpack. Also check out Saw Throat, Life Cycle, Apocalypse, Effigy, A.G.E., Zoe.



http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Lif ... 3540328879
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Apocalypse/129946
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Effigy/29997
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/A.G.E/3540360345

Thanks, I already know about Axegrinder, but I'll check the others out.
_________________
THEMICRULAH wrote:
IT'S THE SAME INVERTED AS REGULAR?! MY BRAIN IS BROKEN! TOTAL SATAN!

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
holy fuck what the fuck is that garbage? Though it's more interesting than Summoning ever will be.

Top
 Profile  
taufan99
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:19 am
Posts: 141
Location: Indonesia
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:55 am 
 

I'm searching for good punk (other than GBH from England), hardcore, crust, post-HC, and ska punk (and/or ska-core) bands. Anybody have suggestions?
_________________
I am a huge Zodijackyl fan

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1224
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:07 pm 
 

taufan99 wrote:
I'm searching for good punk (other than GBH from England), hardcore, crust, post-HC, and ska punk (and/or ska-core) bands. Anybody have suggestions?


just backtrack through the thread. those are very open and non-specific requests that have been tackled many times.
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
iAm
Wastelander

Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:18 am
Posts: 5629
Location: West of the Duwamish due South of the Sound
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:39 pm 
 

I have an oddly specific request- I'm looking for Anarcho Punk stuff (maybe it's on Crass Records) with the trademark minimalistic black and white album cover. Crass and Aus Rotten are famous for this kind of stuff.
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
If the U.N. flew a bunch of C130's over Syria and rained down boxes of Thin Mints, they'd be standing in a giant circle hand-in-hand singing like goddamn Whoville residents within an hour.

I hate music

Top
 Profile  
the_raytownian
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:09 am
Posts: 2150
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:06 pm 
 

^ are you looking for one specific band?

...because that style has been used/copied as much as the Discharge logo (a lot)... I mean, the whole Crass Records aesthetic has been copied literally countless times since the early/mid 80's.

I mean, can you narrow this down to stylistic elements? Even the stuff released on Crass Records alone was fairly diverse. I'm already in a confused state right now, so I am having trouble even understanding your request (I'm not just being a dick, honestly... I literally feel like I have Alzheimer's right now--JUST SAY NO, KIDS).
_________________
Disgrace to the corpse of Metal Archives!
Discogs

Top
 Profile  
iAm
Wastelander

Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:18 am
Posts: 5629
Location: West of the Duwamish due South of the Sound
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:04 am 
 

Not any band in particular. I suppose I just really like the total diy two tone stencil album art.

I guess something like The Feederz or Liberty?
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
If the U.N. flew a bunch of C130's over Syria and rained down boxes of Thin Mints, they'd be standing in a giant circle hand-in-hand singing like goddamn Whoville residents within an hour.

I hate music

Top
 Profile  
the_raytownian
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:09 am
Posts: 2150
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:51 pm 
 

Okay, well, I'll try to avoid some of the less totally obvious Crass Records suggestions here + add a few others (a lot of them just stabs in the dark, since IDK if you mainly want the artwork or music or both):

DIRT
(Video includes several cover/insert images)

The Mob (this song is pretty fucking "Post-Punk", yes, but I think the artwork's exceptional for the style)

Burnt Cross
(Check Discogs for various album covers)

Jobbykrust

Funeral

Axiom

Starved And Delirious

Trash Talk
(it's an alright record for hipster-hyped pet band horse shit with inexplicably-inflated value tied to absolutely fuck-all, but I'm mostly posting it for the artwork anyway)

...and you're already familiar with Dystopia, right? Rudimentary Peni?
Incidentally, Dystopia did a great RP cover on a comp which also has pretty cool artwork...

I actually scanned the whole inner/outer artwork for the Whispers! comp, and I could've sworn I put it on Discogs, but I think I might've just pieced together the front cover (I had to scan the whole thing in sections). Sorry I don't have those up...
[EDIT: Here's the front cover color scan, at least... Shit, those bands listed on the border are a ready-made laundry list of bands with DIY photocopy/collage/B&W artwork]

Obviously, a lot of these aren't blatant Crass Records design clones, but they all employ some kind of "DIY" photocopy/stencil/printing/illustration/collage technique.

...and I give up. I don't wanna do this forever and realize most of the stuff I came up with is probably barely appropriate in terms of what you're after.
_________________
Disgrace to the corpse of Metal Archives!
Discogs

Top
 Profile  
iAm
Wastelander

Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:18 am
Posts: 5629
Location: West of the Duwamish due South of the Sound
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:40 am 
 

I know of DIRT, The Mob, and Jobbykrust. I'll have to check out the others. I actually know two of the members of Trash Talk- I met their singer in Hollywood and got blunted at their show in Reno the other day with them. I'll have to check out the others. The songs you posted were pretty cool and have the album art style I like.

I'm a sucker for that type of album art :P
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
If the U.N. flew a bunch of C130's over Syria and rained down boxes of Thin Mints, they'd be standing in a giant circle hand-in-hand singing like goddamn Whoville residents within an hour.

I hate music

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: RepulsiveVenom and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group