Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:18 pm 

I can tell you people, northwestern Germany is a total wasteland for doom and its subgenres. In fact most of Germany seems to be poor in that regard, but nowhere is it as bad as in my area. Doom? Here? You won't find any bands, you won't even find anyone listening to the damn stuff, it's quite frustrating. I do have one friend who likes some sludge, and I do have another friend (hello, into_the_pit!) who seems to like Skepticism, but as a general rule, if you're into any form of doom, and you live here, you're on your own.

So how is it in your area? Any good bands, good shows, good scene, people into the stuff? Is your area a hotspot for doom or is it a desolate wasteland (and not in the good way) like the area where I am from? I am especially interested in hearing from other Germans who hail from the south, the east or the Ruhrpott, but everyone from anywhere on this planet is welcome to give his or her account in this thread!

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:29 pm 

Don't worry, you're not alone. It's exactly the same way here in South Jersey. You won't find anyone listening to any doom around here, in fact, it wouldn't surprise me if most people didn't know the first thing about it around here. I could say the same about most other genres, though. Our scene is EXTREMELY death metal/hardcore oriented.

DestruicaoMetalica
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:34 pm 

There are some good doom/sludge bands in Massachusetts, and a decent amount of shows as well. I'm not too well acquainted with the scene since it seems like most if not all of the shows are age restricted, but there are definitely some cool bands. The small amount that I know about are Doomriders, Ice Dragon, Forn, Vygr, and my favorite, Magic Circle.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:40 pm 

Their is no doom scene here at all, hell theres no metal scene at all in my area of South Carolina. The only othe person I know that's into doom (which coincidentally is one of my favorite metal subgenres) is my best friend and that's because I introduced him to it!

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:43 pm 

In the entire country of Bangladesh I havent found any other soul who listens to doom metal except my ex-roommate who was introduced to the genre by me. Most of the people listen to death and thrash and the bands also play within these two genres. I've met power and goth fans, some also like a little black metal but most of them aren't even aware of the name doom metal.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:54 pm 

I'm reasonably lucky when it comes to meeting other doom fans in my area, though there aren't enough gigs; I suppose it's far better than nothing, though.

In the Melbourne scene, there's a bit of a split between the melodeath/modern death/power metal and death/black/war metal scenes (well, that's one of the divides, but that's another story); I know people in both, and, fortunately, some form of doom is appreciated by both. Melodeath-doom has a rather large following (in proportion to the overall metalhead population). There are a few great local bands who play that style - Myridian and Okera spring to mind; they play a lot less than some, but they do now and then, and draw a decent crowd when they do. (If anyone likes melodeath-doom, actually, check out those two bands). On the other side of that split, there are people who like funeral, blackened and drone/sludge; again, compared to the number of metalheads overall in the scene, there are quite a few of those. Actually, I made quite a few friends by just wearing one of my Mournful Congregation shirts to gigs and metal bars. Bands from my city of note there would include, of course, Inverloch/diSEMBOWELMENT/dUSK (who I'm seeing again in about a week or so) and Whitehorse. There's a lot of great doom a state over, in Adelaide, but those bands don't play here often enough; there's a bit of an Australia-wide migration of doom fans when, say, Mournful plays anywhere.

Of course, that's all an oversimplification. Generally, you'd be hard pressed to avoid numerous Esoteric, Swallow the Sun or My Dying Bride fans at almost any metal gathering; quite a few know the less-well-known acts - I'd like to think that some of these are thanks to my persistent/annoying conversion efforts (slowly spreading the word of Winter, Abstract Spirit, Ea and Nortt. Just got a friend addicted to Solitude Productions' back catalogue, and another into Tyranny). :-P

There'll be a few of us seeing Saint Vitus and Monarch this week; it's not my favourite style of doom, but it's a doom gig, and I take what I can get. I'd love there to be as many doom nights as there are thrash or melodeath gigs, but, eh, looks like I should be counting my doomy blessings.

Last edited by Calusari on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:24 pm 

Totally non-existent.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:56 pm 

Toronto, pretty big scene, in a part-doom band myself. Blood ceremony, Sons of Otis, and castle are decently big and around often, and we got a lot of local sludge and stoner metal bands.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:14 pm 

We have Stella Natura, which has a couple of Funeral Doom bands on the bill this year, but as far as local bands go non-existent.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:15 pm 

It's getting better here since some years, not quite for trad doom apart from Cauchemar but there's Dopethrone or Towards Darkness and Phobocosm (doom/death) will release their debut this year probably. Black and death metal are still prevalent though. I wish there was more love for trad doom so I could start a band! You don't need to be a good singer to sing doom, right Wino?

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:16 pm 

In Montreal, there's some interest in doom and old school heavy metal but I don't know of any bands that "made it big", so to speak. Dark Covenant had a solid first album released but now seem to be inactive. Then you've got bands like Cauchemar but they're more traditional heavy metal with an occult touch.

I tried to locate traditional metal and doom musicians but found it pretty difficult.

I've had more luck recently hooking up with a really good drummer/guitarist who is really into doom, and we're jamming with people to see if we can get a project going.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:18 pm 

Not really a "doom scene" in my immediate area, but I do go down to NOLA every so often and there's a healthy amount of low n' slow stuff there of course. Most of the bands that my band plays with usually has a few songs that remind me of 70s Pentagram or Sabbath, so there's that. Around here, there's a lot of indie rock, garage rock, punk, and blues. Not much in the way of metal, of any kind.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:22 pm 

The UK, or at least Scotland, seems to have a really healthy doom-scene just now; a good cocktail of solid local bands who are also interested in promoting and putting on shows bringing bands from down south and overseas up - generally speaking there seem to be a hefty number of new, frequently-gigging bands throughout the country who have popped up in the last few years - Black Magician, Conan and the like from down south, and Atragon, Headless Kross, Skeleton Gong and a ton of other local bands from Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:37 pm 

Well, where I'm at, the metal scene itself is small. Now, we do get big bands on tour here, since we're in close proximity to two of the biggest Texas cities, so there's that. Local wise, the only band I can think of that could be considered doom metal would be The Sword, and few people seem to like them. (I guess I'm alone in that.)

Otherwise, our scene is shit metalcore and deathcore (Upon a Burning Body pops up waaaay to often.) We are pretty lucky though, newer sludge and doom bands from NOLA hit the area when they go on tour pretty often.

Doom just isn't really a big scene in general.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:45 pm 

Yayattasa wrote:
Totally non-existent.

Huh, I was about to post the same thing.

Brazil must be one of the worst countries for doom metal

alteredstate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:56 pm 

Here in San Francisco, it's fucking huge to the point of over saturation.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:11 pm 

I'm in Maryland, so of course there's the whole Maryland doom scene here. However, as famous as this scene is, it's definitely segregated from the rest of the local metal scene. It's rare to see gigs by older doom bands in DC. Sometimes they play in Baltimore, but more often bands in this circle play out in Frederick, which is more suburban/rural. The scene also seems pretty much a mix between like doom dudes from the 70's/80's and like redneck dad-rock dudes who just play in the same bands, so there's sort of some crossover between the genuine doom stuff and more stoner-rockisms of bands like Clutch.

There's not really much/anything going on extreme-doom wise, though.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:31 pm 

alteredstate wrote:
Here in San Francisco, it's fucking huge to the point of over saturation.

I can attest to this, though I'd say SF is pretty dead for music these days and the whole scene's moved to Oakland. Aside from a couple awesome locals (Lycus, Gloam, Dispirit) most of them aren't really my thing but it's a welcome addition to a bill to break up the pace.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:34 pm 

As a musician that has performed in a couple doom bands, I'm always surprised by how much doom there is here in Indianapolis. The Gates of Slumber are the big ones but we also have Apostle of Solitude (traditional doom), Devil to Pay (stoner/doom), Black Stone Ritual (heavy metal/traditional doom), Krum (stoner/sludge), and some others that have since split up. Good stuff.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:49 pm 

We have none here, but I honestly do not mind at all if today's crop of contemporary Doom bands are any indication of overall quality... So much stale, boring shit going around, it's not funny.

Sabbath, Vitus, Pentagram, et al are plenty enough for me.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:48 pm 

Well i live in West Yorkshire where Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride are from, apart from that ive no clue, but it makes me proud.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:13 pm 

Calusari wrote:
I'm reasonably lucky when it comes to meeting other doom fans in my area, though there aren't enough gigs; I suppose it's far better than nothing, though.

In the Melbourne scene, there's a bit of a split between the melodeath/modern death/power metal and death/black/war metal scenes (well, that's one of the divides, but that's another story); I know people in both, and, fortunately, some form of doom is appreciated by both. Melodeath-doom has a huge following (in proportion to the overall metalhead population). There are a few decent bands who play that style - Myridian and Okera spring to mind (great guys, too); they play a lot less than some, but they do now and then, and draw a decent crowd when they do. (If anyone likes melodeath-doom, actually, check out those two bands). On the other side of that split, there are people who like funeral, blackened and drone/sludge; compared to the number of metalheads overall in the scene, there are quite a few of those. Actually, I made quite a few friends by just wearing one of my Mournful Congregation shirts to gigs and metal bars. Bands from my city of note there would include, of course, Inverloch/diSEMBOWELMENT/dUSK (who I'm seeing again in about a week or so) and Whitehorse. There's a lot of great doom a state over, in Adelaide, but those bands play rarely here; there's a bit of an Australia-wide migration of doom fans when, say, Mournful plays anywhere.

Of course, that's all an oversimplification. Generally, you'd be hard pressed to avoid numerous Esoteric, Swallow the Sun or My Dying Bride fans at almost any metal gathering; a few know the less-well-known acts - some thanks to my conversion efforts (slowly spreading the word of Winter, Abstract Spirit, Ea and Nortt. Just got a friend addicted to Solitude Productions' back catalogue, and another into Tyranny). There'll be a few of us seeing Saint Vitus and Monarch this week; it's not my favourite style of doom, but it's a doom gig, and I take what I can get. I'd love there to be as many doom nights as there are thrash or melodeath gigs, but, eh, looks like I should be counting my doomy blessings.

You've pretty much covered all the Melbourne doom stuff I know other than Clagg who are some cool stoner/doom stuff. I've only had one random comment on a doom shirt (Esoteric, well and a non metalhead bartender who thought the art to Antithesis of Light was cool), whereas I've had heaps for death metal ones, so I still think it's less popular. That black/death/war scene seems to be pretty fond of Firebox doom from the conversations I've had too. Since you brought up Okera, I know the drummer and he's surprisingly not very doomy, he seems like an odd fit for the band.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:00 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I wish there was more love for trad doom so I could start a band! You don't need to be a good singer to sing doom, right Wino?

Do you mean more love from local musicians or more love from local metalheads?

I also wish there was more love for doom as well as classic/epic heavy metal. But IMO, now is one of the best times ever to start a doom project in the Montreal area, which makes me very happy. There are some cool people making old school metal right now. You probably have a pretty interesting network you can tap into. Young musicians are exploring this aspect of the music. Lots of older musicians who didn't succumb to shitty trends like groove metal or extreme-whatever metal in the 90s and 2000s are also making a comeback.

As far as "love" in the sense of a potential audience? I think a bigger core of old school/doom bands in Montreal would help that tremendously. One of the problem seems to be that it is tough booking 2, 3 or 4 bands all compatible with a doom vibe. The more bands, the more people get into this music, IMO!

You should definitely go for it!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:57 pm 

Both, I guess? They go hand in hand, I'm comfortable in being a cleric in the metal scene, I'm not a musician or anything but I'll definitely try to book shows in the future.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:00 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I'm in Maryland, so of course there's the whole Maryland doom scene here. However, as famous as this scene is, it's definitely segregated from the rest of the local metal scene. It's rare to see gigs by older doom bands in DC. Sometimes they play in Baltimore, but more often bands in this circle play out in Frederick, which is more suburban/rural. The scene also seems pretty much a mix between like doom dudes from the 70's/80's and like redneck dad-rock dudes who just play in the same bands, so there's sort of some crossover between the genuine doom stuff and more stoner-rockisms of bands like Clutch.

There's not really much/anything going on extreme-doom wise, though.

I live on the Virginia side of DC and it's pretty much the same around here. Pentagram are from Northern VA, but they don't play shows too often. We've also got Satan's Satyrs who are kinda doomy at time. As for extreme doom, not too much around here. I know of one local band called The Osedax who play sludge/doom, and I should be seeing them live this Sudnay, so I'll see how good they are (they seem to be pretty good from what I've listened to online).

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:45 am 

Metantoine suddenly made me realize my dreams of forming a trad. Doom band called Saint Hubbins aren't entirely impossible.
I can't even sing badly... or even mumble loudly enough to be a coherent vocalist, though.

I guess I just need to start drinking more hard liquor... for courage... :oh shit:

Also, I need to figure out a way to make Dave Chandler my riffwench...

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:04 am 

Not a damn thing in Edmonton. My own band Gatekeeper is the closest thing I'm aware of, but we're closer to Epic Heavy Metal than doom. Calgary doesn't have anything either except for a slow death metal band or two
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:10 am 

Folkemon_ wrote:
Well i live in West Yorkshire where Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride are from, apart from that ive no clue, but it makes me proud.

Yeah, Yorkshire's very important for doom for some bizarre reason. And let's not forget Solstice who are infinitely superior to the likes of MDB. :P

I think doom does quite well in England, generally. The doom gigs I've been to here have always been well-attended. Personally, I know quite a few people who are into doom/stoner stuff much more so than other areas of metal. As such the crowd at a Electric Wizard gig in England tends to be quite different to the crowd at a heavy metal gig. I'm not too familiar with the up-and-coming doom bands here, though, that's probably just a reflection of the fact that I'm a little burnt out on all but my favourite doom bands, at the moment.

Marmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:47 am 

We had a huge Doom Death scene overhere in the late 80's start 90's. Bands as Sempiternal Deathreign, Mourning, Sad Whisperings, Asphyx and so on. Most of em quitted unfortunately.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:51 am 

You have it in your blood Marmer, go make some Dutchdoom.

HeavyGabry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:12 am 

Lots of bands here in Italy: you may have heard of Black Hole, Trinakrius, Thunderstorm, Doomraiser, In Aevum Agere...

LordTool
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:44 am 

Very little can be found here in Perth (Aus). Well, that was until a week ago when a little gig was put together with some new bands.

A doom/post/drone 2 piece called Kaan (you know, the long, layered, expansive, crescendo-ey heavy stuff), a stoner doom band called Goat (sounded like simple stonerrock stuff on their web samples but they were very heavy and expansive live, similar to Kaan), a 'dark' melodic metal band (Beyond Never), and a punky thrashy partyish thing that I'm not sure had any connection to doom. Great night with great music, hope to see these guys go further!

I have heard whispers that Perth's local resident obscure doom band (until this point) was a sludge thing called Bayou but I havnt yet had the opportunity to see them. Unfortunately for a doomhead such as myself there hasn't been much else in regards to doom here in the most isolated city on the planet.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:50 pm 

Not a lot of actual doom here, but we have a nice little sludge enclave. We have some cool bands like Biipiigwam, Collider, Alaskan and the now defunct Buried Inside, which I would say is the best band. Mostly we just have hordes of unremarkable death metal bands.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:00 pm 

Marmer wrote:
We had a huge Doom Death scene overhere in the late 80's start 90's. Bands as Sempiternal Deathreign, Mourning, Sad Whisperings, Asphyx and so on. Most of em quitted unfortunately.

maybe, but even today a lot of dutch death metal has a thing for slowed down tempos and heavy grooves.
I have noticed that here in the netherlands we mostly have a lot of doom appreciation. From sludge to the olde classics but i cant name many newer bands. We have Herder who play pretty rippin stoner/sludge, Anaphylactic shock is cool new sludge, Faal is good Funeral Doom.
We got some decent festivals like dutch doom days and of course roadburn.
It would be cool to start a doom band, but i am not a social butterfly who knows many people who would also dig to do some doom.

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:47 pm 

I thought Arizona didn't have a scene (Usually just deathcore kids) but when I saw St. Vitus last year and Melvins just a few weeks ago, I was surprised to see a decent amount of doom fans in the area, I talked to several people at the shows and many of them knew their stuff. I guess they don't go out very often! lol

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:05 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
You've pretty much covered all the Melbourne doom stuff I know other than Clagg who are some cool stoner/doom stuff. I've only had one random comment on a doom shirt (Esoteric, well and a non metalhead bartender who thought the art to Antithesis of Light was cool), whereas I've had heaps for death metal ones, so I still think it's less popular. That black/death/war scene seems to be pretty fond of Firebox doom from the conversations I've had too. Since you brought up Okera, I know the drummer and he's surprisingly not very doomy, he seems like an odd fit for the band.

I know so many people in the scene here who love Esoteric, even including those who don't usually love doom; you've gotta wear that shirt out to city gigs more, man. :-P

On the subject of the doom scene, I forgot to mention that we've got an annual doom festival, too - Doomsday; it's mostly trad/stoner/sludge/drone focussed, but I'm hoping there'll be a bit more variety this time. Clagg who, as you say, are pretty damn good, are pretty sure to play that; Church of Misery are headlining, so it should be a great one anyway...

Side note - yeah, Elliott doesn't seem very doomy; I always thought he was an odd fit for Okera. I do hope he's a better dude than his brother (but here's not the place for that).

Last edited by Calusari on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:13 am 

Sadly I've lost like 20kgs since I bought it so it no longer fits properly.

Never heard of this Doom festival, may have to go one year, although those aren't exactly my favourite styles. CoM make it worthwhile, when is it?

Never met his brother, but Elliot always seemed cool, awful music taste but fun to drink with. His possibly ex girlfriend is also pleasant to get drunk with, and at least likes grind/Coffins too.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:47 am 

Zilch. Zero. None at all. Totally serious.

I must push for more doom influences in my band's next release!

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:51 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Sadly I've lost like 20kgs since I bought it so it no longer fits properly.

Never heard of this Doom festival, may have to go one year, although those aren't exactly my favourite styles. CoM make it worthwhile, when is it?

Never met his brother, but Elliot always seemed cool, awful music taste but fun to drink with. His possibly ex girlfriend is also pleasant to get drunk with, and at least likes grind/Coffins too.

Eh, most of my shirts are too big - if only more doom and death bands made women's merch...

Doomsday is in early October, check out their Facebook page.

Elliot's brother is Jack Sansom, famed local white supremacist (or at least he was).

Last edited by Calusari on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:02 am 

Everything is in October, frustrating since I'm definitely a no go around then.

Ha pretty much the only other person I've been out drinking with for metal links was also.from Adamus Exul :s

Certainly didn't get racist vibes from Elliot at least, he's too carefree to be hateful.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next