* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
takar_blackangel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:13 am 

Posted on the band's official Facebook:
Quote:
Altar of Plagues will conclude this year.

I decided before writing "Teethed Glory and Injury" that it would be our final album. It was executed with this fact in mind. I can state it no more simply than this; it is time to move on.

We considered whether or not we would say anything at all regarding this. But at the very least, we would like to give people an opportunity to see us perform again should they care to. And so, these upcoming shows will be our final.

Our very final performance will be on October 19th, at Unsound Festival Poland. As a festival that celebrates the eclectic and the eccentric, I can think of no other place that would be more appropriate for this occasion. It is exactly the type of environment in which I have always aspired to share our work, and it will be a celebratory occasion to conclude at what I believe will be the peak of our existence as a group.

I still find it difficult to believe that what began as a bedroom recording in 2007, became a group of individuals that have performed in Moscow, San Francisco, and many places between. We have travelled further, and shared more music than we had ever expected. Thank you to each and every person who supported us.

I will continue to work as WIFE . However, I am not closing the door on the sounds I developed as Altar of Plagues. Many stones remain unturned.

James / Altar of Plagues / July 15 2013

It's a damn shame, I really enjoyed the band. At least they're going out on a high note, since their latest offering was all kinds of excellent.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:42 am 

Ugh, at this point I say good riddance. They bombed with their recent album and if that's the direction they'd continue going down then they've got nothing else to keep them on my mind.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:53 am 

takar_blackangel wrote:
It's a damn shame, I really enjoyed the band. At least they're going out on a high note, since their latest offering was all kinds of excellent.

Wow! Is that un/expected? Don't really know after the change of direction in the last album:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=97422
P.S: I haven't listened to (2013) Altar Of Plagues - Teethed Glory And Injury. Is it worth?

Last edited by BasqueStorm on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:54 am 

Their last album was decent, but mostly just "interesting" if you know what I mean. I quite liked the flat, dry guitars combined with the mechanical drumming, the ugly vocals, and the synths. It didn't last though, and I haven't listened to it since the week it came out. Anyway, it looks like they felt they arrived at a stopping point so I guess the decision to split up was the right decision to make. There's nothing worse than a band without animo.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:51 pm 

This is great news! Their last album was probably the ''biggest piece of shit from once great band'' I've ever heard. And that includes Metallica albums.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:05 pm 

I'm aggressively indifferent about this.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:37 pm 

Heh, kinda makes ruining their whole image with the last turd seem silly now... I'm not particularly fussed, I'm pretty certaim the debut would have remained their only excellent effort even if they played for another sixty years. Also it means no more God Alone's, so that's a nice silver lining.

RainbowPrius19
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:39 pm 

absurder21 wrote:
I'm aggressively indifferent about this.

Yes

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:00 pm 

Having not listened to their latest record, what exactly about it is so destructive to the band as everyone here is making it out to be?

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:22 pm 

What a shame. The last album was excellent, so I suppose he closed it on an an interesting yet very high note! Would have liked to see them continue in the style of their first two albums, but I was also excited to hear a continuation on the sounds created in "Teethed Glory..." Nothing else quite resembles it, however I'm glad that James mentioned that the ideas behind the project have not been abandoned. We'll see what the future has in store for him as he is a very talented musician and songwriter. I don't care too much for electronic music so I'm not sure how much WIFE will appeal to me, but AoP will always have those two damn good albums and the masterpiece that is White Tomb.

Subrick wrote:
Having not listened to their latest record, what exactly about it is so destructive to the band as everyone here is making it out to be?

You'd have to listen to it on your own and decide, as it's pretty polarizing around these parts. Personally, I find nothing in it to be destructive to the band. It's just different in image and style than their first two, so it was pretty much bound to draw those reactions.

katatonia47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:04 pm 

Goddamn, this was unexpected.
I'm glad James is still working as WIFE, I quite like that little project. I really liked Teethed Glory, so I hope he does something in that vein again in the future.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:40 am 

katatonia47 wrote:
Goddamn, this was unexpected.
I'm glad James is still working as WIFE, I quite like that little project. I really liked Teethed Glory, so I hope he does something in that vein again in the future.

Actually he says he will probably record something in this style(or something evolved from that sound) in the future, but under a different name I guess.

I dont like the last album, it was err I dont know what to say, it was a too great departure from the previous sound which I really liked, specialy the sophomore album which was great.

At least I saw them in Bilbao a few years ago and it was a great concert.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:03 am 

Subrick wrote:

The worst riffs I've ever heard. Kinda like a djent/dissonant band that's too stupid to actually play a complex composition. The post rock stuff is kinda passable though, so its not the world.ending atrocity "God Alone" promised, but its still the shittiest thing made all year because of how bad the 'metal' is.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:26 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
This is great news! Their last album was probably the ''biggest piece of shit from once great band'' I've ever heard. And that includes Metallica albums.

Know what else sounds like complete shit?

People like you, making comments like this.

Look, I've never even listened to Altar of Plagues. And by no means do I think that you need to act like they were fucking godsends now that they've decided to split. But your delivery... you're like a spoiled child who just got dumped because you were too much of a douche for any sensible human being to handle, who has now decided to relay his angst-ridden, yet ultimately impotent, retaliatory tangent on a forum somewhere on the internet, in a vain attempt to remind the rest of us that somehow, you're still the shit. The new hotness. Seriously, that's what I imagine every time I read something like this. "They didn't do it how I liked it, so I'm gonna bitch and moan about it until they disband. Then, I can be happy again. Because now I have my vengeance... that I had no hand in bringing about."

I got it, bro. You didn't like it. Some things I don't prefer either, compared to older works. There really is no reason to be a fag about it though. Just sayin'.

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Subrick wrote:

The worst riffs I've ever heard. Kinda like a djent/dissonant band that's too stupid to actually play a complex composition. The post rock stuff is kinda passable though, so its not the world.ending atrocity "God Alone" promised, but its still the shittiest thing made all year because of how bad the 'metal' is.

DUN-DUN DUN-DUN DUN-DUN DUN-DUN
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:45 am 

IX Leviathan wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:

DUN-DUN DUN-DUN DUN-DUN DUN-DUN

Honestly, that's not unusual.

Could've been worse; could've been actual djent.

...Sorry, now I'm just trollin'. :P

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:08 am 

U mad bro?

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:16 am 

White Tomb was a decent release. I got into it heavily when it first came out. However, the whole black metal through a Godspeed You! Black Emperor filter novelty, which so many of these hipster black "metal" bands seem to be big on, wore off quite quickly. This break-up is no loss, whatsoever. There are plenty of Profound Lore and Southern Lord bands to take their place. :lol:

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:27 am 

Subrick wrote:

ThePoop wrote:
You'd have to listen to it on your own and decide, as it's pretty polarizing around these parts. Personally, I find nothing in it to be destructive to the band. It's just different in image and style than their first two, so it was pretty much bound to draw those reactions.

Is it really that polarizing, though? The vast majority of people here seemed to either think it was not all that great or outright hate it. I don't hate it or anything, and I think a lot of people make it out to be the worst thing ever when it's not, but it just comes off as disposable compared to their earlier works. I honestly wish they split up before releasing it, but oh well. What I've generally seen for that album is a lot of praise from music sites but not a lot of praise from actual fans of the band. Also, has anyone heard his WIFE thing? What's it like?

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:05 am 

This is 100% the right decision. Teethed Glory And Injury took them on a poor u-turn and it unfortunate when bands continue with the same project in this way.

WIFE is excellent. I was listening to Stoic somewhat obsessively for a while; I wish that it was a full length. Check it out, not because of the Altar of Plagues, but because it's an entirely different style and quite well done.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:37 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
takar_blackangel wrote:

Wow! Is that un/expected? Don't really know after the change of direction in the last album:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=97422
P.S: I haven't listened to (2013) Altar Of Plagues - Teethed Glory And Injury. Is it worth?

Its a weird album, so you might like it. :D

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:49 am 

ld50 wrote:
This is 100% the right decision.

That was my first idea too.

Paganbasque wrote:
Its a weird album, so you might like it. :D

Weird?!? Thanks! :D

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:02 am 

White Tomb has excellent moments, and Mammals conveys a rather interesting atmosphere (although that album turns into even more of a plodding snoozefest than the debut at times). Teethed Glory is so utterly ridiculous that I can't even begin to describe it, but Earth: As A Womb will remain a personal favourite of mine.

The band is very uninteresting live. Even the material that sounds great on record is painstakingly boring when the band stands like statues, facing away from the audience half the time (I'm serious).

Necroticism174 wrote:
U mad bro?

How inane of you.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:28 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
U mad bro?

Maybe.

U grown up bro?

HeavyGabry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:20 am 

This sucks. :(

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:45 pm 

Ilwhyan, go listen to some Finnish black metal or something.
This whiny little dude shows up and complains that I'm glad a band that was going in the shittiest direction imaginable split up. A band that he doesn't listen to. Y'all can fuck off.

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:55 am 

Not a great way to go out.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:50 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Ilwhyan, go listen to some Finnish black metal or something.
This whiny little dude shows up and complains that I'm glad a band that was going in the shittiest direction imaginable split up. A band that he doesn't listen to. Y'all can fuck off.

I don't really understand why he lashed out at you for something that small, but the following post was rather pointless. Could've just left it at that, since it was pretty obvious the guy overreacted. Anyway, meme one-liners are not worth posting in any situation; mine was more a comment on how lame your comeback was, not on whether your stance was justified.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:39 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I don't really understand why he lashed out at you for something that small [...]

It's because his delivery was reminiscent of the typical whiny response of the betrayed metal fan whose beloved act isn't "kvlt" enough anymore: moody, fickle, and very volatile, wherein a band's entire discography could be amazing to a point, but then, at that point, there's one slip-up, and all of a sudden, they are (one of the) worst things to happen to metal (or music overall) ever and should therefore be stoned, burned at the stake, or forced into exile. In some cases, it's not even relevant: something similar happened, for example, in the thread that reported Tim Lambesis' murder-for-hire plot. Granted, there were plenty of people who had something relevant to add, but an alarming number of the posts in it have nothing to do with the case; instead, it was another circlejerk of butthurt elitists who can't get over their juvenile hatred for "mallcore" (or what they think is "mallcore"), and just had let all of us know how terrible they think As I Lay Dying is, and how they "never gave a shit about them", yet obviously cared enough to a post, much to the chagrin of the rest of us.

In the moment, I was frustrated because metal fandom in general has way too many immature tards in it that act like this, and sometimes, I have to ask myself, "For fuck's sake, do these people know the meaning of restraint, common decency, fair diction, and intelligent debate?" It's kind of like your typical otaku, bitching and moaning about how American cartoons don't have enough kawaii-desu to compare to the works of the "tr00" masters over yandere* 'cross the Pacific, except with more of a vain internet toughguy approach because metal is fucking br00tal and srsbsns. To sum it up, I guess you could say that I love metal (and what it stands for, depending on what kind), but I have a lot of trouble feeling any affection for metal fans most of the time. I think it's a problem when the first thing that comes to mind when a substantial portion of the posts 'round these parts is another old meme: "Aw shit, better look out, we got a badass over here...!"

With that said, I will admit that it was perhaps unfair of me to scapegoat Necroticism over a problem that is much larger than himself. I am not trying to say that he is not "allowed" to feel that a band's new direction is terrible, much less that I am any sort of authority on the matter. I suppose it's just been a long buildup. You have my apologies for my momentary derailing of this thread, but if its any consolation, it does, at least, mean that I'm not making a whole new thread about it.

Regarding Altar of Plagues, I'm listening to Mammal at the moment, and thus far, I don't have many complaints to levy at this, though it probably would have been better if I had heard this before I listened to Progenie Terrestre Pura's U.M.A., which is similar, but feels bigger and spacier. However, I did also listen to a few tracks from Teethed Glory and Injury, and I have to say that those constituted some of the most perfect syntheses of avant-garde, black, sludge, and post-metal that I've ever treated my ears to. Definitely a giant step up from the "blackgaze" that I was expecting when I read MA's genre descriptor. And I promise that I am not just saying that in order to oppose detractors; this will probably be the second time this year that I have gotten into/truly started appreciating an act only after they disbanded/announced their intention to disband: as was the case with my experience with Underoath recently (given Ø (Disambiguation)), I will probably be saddened by that fact in the coming days. It's always a shame when you feel that a band has evolved or changed their style in such a stellar manner that you feel could have led to even greater heights later, but then you have to accept that it might never happen, barring a reunion that you can't really count on.

Ahh well. Thread delivered for me, I guess. :P

*See what I did there? Anybody...? Eh. It's bad wordplay, and I doubt many people here get it anyway. :V

Last edited by Schmengie on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:47 am 

At any rate, it was a massive overreaction on your part, even if Necroticism174 was being childish and coarse. Not to mention that you're making immense strawmen in your assumptions on what the criticism that AoP receives is based on.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:56 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
At any rate, it was a massive overreaction on your part, even if Necroticism174 was being childish and coarse.

Granted. Regardless, I'd rather be thorough and clear than vague and nonsensical: if I am going to say something, I might as well say it. I'd rather not say it again, though, for I have said my piece on it.

Ilwhyan wrote:
Not to mention that you're making immense strawmen in your assumptions on what the criticism that AoP receives is based on.

Not really sure how, since, again, this was not exclusive to the debate on the quality of what Altar of Plagues has put out.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:50 pm 

Also to use the "kvlt" strawman is even more ridiculous than usual when applied to AoP because they've ALWAYS been a post/black project, signed to Profound Lore no less, just saying. Its a non existent one at the best of times, but trying to use it in regards to a band like this is laughable.

Reply to topic