Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FromMarsToSirius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:34 pm 

Right, some folks love it. Some folks hate it. Often compared to Deathcore, and even confused with it, that's right, it's SLAM.

I personally find my self in the middle. A lot of it I find very boring and repetitive, but when I'm in the mood for something senselessly brutal and heavy, I'll listen to some Cephalotripsy or Devourment.

What are your opinions on the genre, good people of MA? Is it as bad, or even worse than Deathcore? Or is it the best thing since sliced bread?

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:38 pm 

I don't hate it, just find it dull as fuck and devoid of catchy riffs. That said, I will feel in the mood for some slammin' from time to time (about once every six months), listen to half an album and remind myself why I rarely listen to it.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:43 pm 

Some slam can be good every now and again, although it is sometimes hard to wade through all the crappy bands to find the good ones.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:53 pm 

Slam is like thrash in the sense that it's super one-dimensional, and anybody claiming otherwise is a fanatical nutbar who will point to some crazy fringe band as evidence. I really disliked slam for a long time, but I think I was just looking for something that wasn't there, and there's no denying that some of the hallmarks of the genre are an acquired taste (ultra low gurgle vocals and paing paing snare drum and such). It's dumb caveman music, but dumb caveman music can be a lot of fun. So for now I'd say I've warmed up to the style, but I can't really call myself a full on fan yet.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:58 pm 

I assume by "Slam Death" you mean bands like Waking the Cadaver (and others with a similar sound)? I really don't like it. My problem with it is the seemingly utter randomness of the song and chord structures, and the utterly ridiculous "Brutal" vocals that go with it. I love raw death metal but it has to have SOME kind of quality to it, i.e. catchy, effective and powerful riffs and good, coherant song structure- same things that make or break music of ALL genres for me. I don't hear any of that with the Waking the Cadaver-type bands.

But I will admit here, it is an acquired taste- and I'm not by any reason ripping on it. So I apologize if I sound disrespectful or close minded toward it. Someone recently mentioned to me that a particular band's music "Admittedly 90% of it won't ping as different (from Waking the Cadaver) to someone who isn't that familiar with how Brutal DM usually works." I just need to get into it more I suppose, develop an ear for it, but to someone whose tastes typically run toward old-school thrash and classical heavy metal, it is quite a stretch to get into.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:07 pm 

Using Waking the Cadaver as a stick to measure slam by is like judging all death metal by Dethklok.

I'm a total noob to the style, but even I know that you'd get a much better idea of what the style is by listening to Devourment, Cephalotripsy, Amputated, Begging for Incest, or countless others.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:13 pm 

I like slam quite a bit and can actually tell the difference between many of the bands and have a healthy collection of slam. But like how bastardhead put it... it's one-dimensional as fuck and waking the cadavar is the most piss poor example to judge slam on. And overall I don't listen to it constantly but once I get in the mood for it I'll be in it for awhile and then just as quickly fall out of it after listening to 10 or so albums back to back.

deicidefan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:31 pm 

Yeah, Slam is by far the best genre of heavy music out there. Nothing is better than pounding some beer and slamming the slams loud af. Just shut your brain off and head bang along to the grooves. It just doesn't get much better than that if life.

DeadXManiac wrote:
Benton's the T-Pain of death metal.

#ONLYSLAMISREAL

Brutality_Junkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:31 pm 

AzzaKnowldy wrote:
Is it as bad, or even worse than Deathcore? Or is it the best thing since sliced bread?

Well first of all, I don't think deathcore deserves to be universally reviled. Of course, just about every popular deathcore band is worse than a root canal but bands like Misericordiam, Despised Icon, PUREFILTH and The Partisan Turbine are excellent. It all depends on the ability of the band in question to properly balance breakdowns and songwriting. As a for instance, if a deathcore band wants to write nothing but continuous breakdowns they damn well better have the ability to keep each part of their songs intense and inspired...otherwise you end up with Suicide Silence. :puke:

Slam bands face a similar dilemma; keeping any kind of nonstop groove interesting is a challenge that I don't think enough people appreciate. Some folks may think it's real easy to write an album like 'Abhorrent Stench Of Posthumous Gastrorectal Desecration' or 'Uterovaginal Insertion Of Extirpated Anomalies'...until they actually try. To date, I have yet to meet a single slam hater who can write or perform anything this ingenious; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpmSfgrlFDo

Even though slam is undeniably primitive, the best bands of the bunch need a lot of finesse to make boorish, crude music so well.

So I guess it's fairly obvious I'm in the 'love it' camp. That doesn't mean I don't have my concerns though. A lot of recent slam is very deathcore influenced which is a problem inasmuch as a band in question is able to combine both and actually ACKNOWLEDGE the degree to which they're influenced by deathcore. A lot of slammers unilaterally despise deathcore, which makes absolutely no sense. Beyond the superficial similarities of the genre, the influx of bands like Ingested, Coprocephalic or Abnormity is proof positive that the two sounds get closer and closer every day. This can end up a positive in the long run but so far outside of the few quality exceptions, most slam bands continue to prove their utter inability to make the merge work. Until slam and deathcore can prove a consistently successful mixture, most bands should play one or the other.

Also, Waking The Cadaver is FAR from the worst example of slam. Right off the top of my head, there's four other bands infinitely worse than anything WTC's ever done or ever will do...

Raped By Pigs
Acranius
Begging For Incest
Artery Eruption

ESPECIALLY Artery Eruption. :brick:

That's my two cents.

FromMarsToSirius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:39 pm 

Brutality_Junkie wrote:
Well first of all, I don't think deathcore deserves to be universally reviled

Yeah, I agree. I was referring to the godawful popular deathcore bands. I really enjoy The Last Shot of War, Bound By Exile, Acrania, and Despised Icon. I just didn't phrase it very well.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:49 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Slam is like thrash in the sense that it's super one-dimensional, and anybody claiming otherwise is a fanatical nutbar who will point to some crazy fringe band as evidence.

For slam yeah, but I would argue there are enough thrash bands (even well known ones) that are fairly different from one another.

That being said, this is the biggest problem with slam, it's an extremely narrow "genre" of music. As far as I'm concerned, it's a specific writing/riffing style of death metal. I think having parts of it occasionally in dm songs is fine, but basing an entire genre off of it or even an entire band is just kinda lame. I don't have anything against it though, I can stand it and listen to it, but it's like Phish, I can only take so much before I go insane and say enough is enough.

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:11 pm 

I'm 31 and grew up on Long Island so slam death metal from the 90's is my favorite type of death metal. I still listen to the bands from that era that are still active such as Internal Bleeding, Pyrexia, Suffocation, Dehumanized, Dying Fetus, Devourment. Of course you can't mention 90's slam death metal from Long Island without bringing up Repudilation and Disfigured. 420 was also amazing. They formed from the ashes of Repudilation and recorded a rough mix of an album that never got released unfortunately. Album is amazing. George Torres on drums, Brian Hobbie on Bass, Matty Bones on guitar. You can't go wrong.

Anyway I digress. My point is I love the original slam death metal bands from the 90's and always will. The new bands these days tend to sound a bit rehashed to me. Deathcore I can't stand and I don't listen to it.

Brutality_Junkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:15 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
That being said, this is the biggest problem with slam, it's an extremely narrow "genre" of music. As far as I'm concerned, it's a specific writing/riffing style of death metal. I think having parts of it occasionally in dm songs is fine, but basing an entire genre off of it or even an entire band is just kinda lame. I don't ahve anything against it though, I can stand it and listen to it, but it's like Phish, I can only take so much before I go insane and say enough is enough.

^ This post brought to mind another point I have on the subject; the old school sound of slam is DEFINITELY a lot more varied than its modern iteration. Bands like Scattered Remnants, Sintury, Dehumanized, Internal Bleeding or Cadaverment helped create and shaped the idea of slam as a distinct death metal sound and they're a lot more nuanced than a good deal of slam bands today, whose differences can be so slight only fanatics like me notice.

Here's a few examples of what I'm talking about;

Sintury: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11AgzUEpk-w
Dehumanized: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjGt4cPr1Ps
Scattered Remnants: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMuyWTO46K0

Roc wrote:
I'm 31 and grew up on Long Island so slam death metal from the 90's is my favorite type of death metal. I still listen to the bands from that era that are still active such as Internal Bleeding, Pyrexia, Suffocation, Dehumanized, Dying Fetus, Devourment. Of course you can't mention 90's slam death metal from Long Island without bringing up Repudilation and Disfigured. 420 was also amazing. They formed from the ashes of Repudilation and recorded a rough mix of an album that never got released unfortunately. Album is amazing. George Torres on drums, Brian Hobbie on Bass, Matty Bones on guitar. You can't go wrong.

Anyway I digress. My point is I love the original slam death metal bands from the 90's and always will. The new bands these days tend to sound a bit rehashed to me. Deathcore I can't stand and I don't listen to it.

^ This guy knows what's up. 420 was fuckin' awesome. What do you think of the new Internal Bleeding single?

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:20 pm 

I like mostly Devourment, and some other bands to a lesser degree. Like others said it's a vey uni-dimensional and I don't feel the need to explore the genre further because of that. And also many bands forget the "fun" part of the "retarded fun" element in slam and end up just being shitty chugging death-metal. With that said, good slam is fun as hell, nothing like blasting some 1.3.8. and $l4m da fuck down when I'm in the mood for it.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:21 pm 

Count me as an "appreciate". Slam death metal happens to be my favorite type of death metal all-in-all; there's a lot of crap involved in it (Russia :( :( :( Indonesia :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:) but there are also a lot of gems sprinkled around in the genre like Epicardiectomy (who I basically wrote a thesis about), Cephalotripsy, Cerebral Incubation and so on. It's hardly "death metal" in the traditional sense, but dear god is it good for mindless head-smashing. However, while it appears I'm in the minority here, I don't like how the genre is increasingly becoming 1) crystal-clear and polished (I like my slam death raw and dirty) and 2) influenced by deathcore (because most BDM bands have no idea how to do this tastefully). I could talk about slam death for days on end but to put it succinctly, yeah, it's good.

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:24 pm 

Brutality_Junkie wrote:
CF_Mono wrote:
That being said, this is the biggest problem with slam, it's an extremely narrow "genre" of music. As far as I'm concerned, it's a specific writing/riffing style of death metal. I think having parts of it occasionally in dm songs is fine, but basing an entire genre off of it or even an entire band is just kinda lame. I don't ahve anything against it though, I can stand it and listen to it, but it's like Phish, I can only take so much before I go insane and say enough is enough.

^ This post brought to mind another point I have on the subject; the old school sound of slam is DEFINITELY a lot more varied than its modern iteration. Bands like Scattered Remnants, Sintury, Dehumanized, Internal Bleeding or Cadaverment helped create and shaped the idea of slam as a distinct death metal sound and they're a lot more nuanced than a good deal of slam bands today, whose differences can be so slight only fanatics like me notice.

Here's a few examples of what I'm talking about;

Sintury: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11AgzUEpk-w
Dehumanized: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjGt4cPr1Ps
Scattered Remnants: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMuyWTO46K0

Roc wrote:

^ This guy knows what's up. 420 was fuckin' awesome. What do you think of the new Internal Bleeding single?

Thanks man, you know what's up too! I love Scattered Remnants! I have all 3 CD's and still have my letters from Jay Hendershaw from back in the day. As for the new IB single, I like it. I do wish the vocals were more brutal though. To me IB needs gutturals.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:25 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
However, while it appears I'm in the minority here, I don't like how the genre is increasingly becoming 1) crystal-clear and polished (I like my slam death raw and dirty) and 2) influenced by deathcore (because most BDM bands have no idea how to do this tastefully)..

I don't follow slam much so I'm not aware of these things but I do agree with you, specially on the first point.

Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:06 pm 

I like some slam, but nowadays I really have to be in the mood for it (especially if I'm going to listen to an entire album). On top of that, I'm more of a fan of slam albums than I am of slam bands.

Brutality_Junkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:09 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Count me as an "appreciate". Slam death metal happens to be my favorite type of death metal all-in-all; there's a lot of crap involved in it (Russia :( :( :( Indonesia :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:) but there are also a lot of gems sprinkled around in the genre like Epicardiectomy (who I basically wrote a thesis about), Cephalotripsy, Cerebral Incubation and so on. It's hardly "death metal" in the traditional sense, but dear god is it good for mindless head-smashing. However, while it appears I'm in the minority here, I don't like how the genre is increasingly becoming 1) crystal-clear and polished (I like my slam death raw and dirty) and 2) influenced by deathcore (because most BDM bands have no idea how to do this tastefully). I could talk about slam death for days on end but to put it succinctly, yeah, it's good.

Generally, I think your points on brutal death metal are some of the most erudite and spot on I've ever read but I do disagree with your overall opinion of Russian slam. It's by no means the be all, end all but I think out of every slam band that uses an immaculate production, Russian bands tend to use it best. (Except for Coprocephalic, they use that kind of production better than just about anyone. 'Gluttonous Chunks' is so ridiculously good) The flip side of that coin is thanks to the sheer volume of Russian slam, more bands are adopting their signature squeaky clean sound even if it makes no sense in the context of their band, which is a huge problem. While I do like Abnormity, Disfigurement Of Flesh and stuff like that I'd gladly trade them all for more bands like Veiyadra or Rest In Gore.

Couldn't agree more about Indonesia though...:ugh:

Roc wrote:
Thanks man, you know what's up too! I love Scattered Remnants! I have all 3 CD's and still have my letters from Jay Hendershaw from back in the day.

^ That's so awesome. :bow:

Roc wrote:
As for the new IB single, I like it. I do wish the vocals were more brutal though. To me IB needs gutturals.

I know what you mean. I wish Frank Rini was still their full time vocalist. His gutturals on 'Voracious Contempt' and 'Extinction Of Benevolence' are just nuts.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:10 pm 

Slam is fun to dance and bitchslap girls at gigs. I used to do it and it's fucking awesome. Not much to listen it or something.

Last edited by Kveldulfr on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:14 pm 

Brutality_Junkie wrote:
Roc wrote:
As for the new IB single, I like it. I do wish the vocals were more brutal though. To me IB needs gutturals.

I know what you mean. I wish Frank Rini was still their full time vocalist. His gutturals on 'Voracious Contempt' and 'Extinction Of Benevolence' are just nuts.

Hell yeah man Rini rules! I hope he gets some decent spots on the new album. When Voracious Contempt came out I used to write to him and he'd always send me a stack of flyers. I discovered a lot of bands thanks to him.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:00 pm 

Slam isn't the best sub genre of metal, that's reserved for old school death metal but when you have bands like Dying Fetus in slam, you've just gotta love it, they are pretty much the kings of slam.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:18 pm 

Except they don't play slam and never have.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:41 pm 

I'm quite fond of a fair bit of slam- my old housemate is a huge slam fanatic, and while it all sounds the same after a while it's enjoyable IM GOING TO CLEAN THE HOUSE! AAAARGH type music. I like the caveman-ness of it quite a lot. I'm just into the big bands though personally, Cephalotripsy, Artery Eruption (retarded, but in such a good way), Devourment, the usual stuff, Epicardectomy's demo for a good laugh. While it's super one dimensional I've always felt that you could take it a few different places- you could fit it in with some doom and make it really crushing I imagine. At some point I'll probably form a bad slam band :thumbsup:

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:52 pm 

I'm not familiar at all with the genre, but everything I've heard of it (including Cephalotripsy) really just rubs me as really badly performed and produced death metal. I guess I just don't "get" it.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:14 am 

While there's nothing wrong with mindless fun, Slam just isn't my thing. When I listen to Death Metal I want riffs, that old school sounding chainsaw guitar tone, and vicious, alien sounding vocals- not endless breakdowns and noodley solos which go in twenty different directions at once with a pig as the bands headman.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:58 am 

I enjoy some slam. Stuff like Devourment, Cephalotripsy, and Short Bus Pile-Up get me pumped. It is a genre that while may have a lot to expand on, most bands tend to just try and outdo each other in gore/sexual imagery and being overly brutal.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:08 am 

iAm wrote:
Slam... noodley solos which go in twenty different directions at once

wut

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:13 am 

Slam is too cool for school. Keep slamming that guttural sickness with many thrones of riff engorgement \m/ \m/

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:25 am 

iAm wrote:
While there's nothing wrong with mindless fun, Slam just isn't my thing. When I listen to Death Metal I want riffs, that old school sounding chainsaw guitar tone, and vicious, alien sounding vocals- not endless breakdowns and noodley solos which go in twenty different directions at once with a pig as the bands headman.

Noodly solos? What horrific fucking bastardisation of 'slam death metal' have you been subjected to?

mastamonkeynutz wrote:
Also if you want to make a joke please do so but please put lol after so I can know that Fred Durst isn't really dead.

Zero_Nowhere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:53 am 

Some of its good. Most of it isn't (and most of what is good benefits either from some outside influences or from being before the subgenre became quite so pigeonholed in terms of sound).

Slam kinda suffers from the same issue as Transilvanian Hunger-worshipping BM does: When you've only got one trick up your sleeve, it better bloody well work or the whole project just becomes shithouse. And its hard to stretch that one trick out to cover a whole album.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:05 am 

Zero_Nowhere wrote:
Slam kinda suffers from the same issue as Transilvanian Hunger-worshipping BM does: When you've only got one trick up your sleeve, it better bloody well work or the whole project just becomes shithouse. And its hard to stretch that one trick out to cover a whole album.

Heh, I was about to say that lot of slam comes across as the death metal equivalent of bedroom black metal Darkthrone wannabes.

It's definitely very "caveman"ish, ultra primitive and kinda really dumb sounding, but it can also be a lot of fun in small doses, depending on the band of course. Some of the parody bands (New Yorkment, Frogkill, etc) make me chuckle a bit too.

VaderCrush
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:23 am 

I find it generally bland and I hate the awful belched pig noises that pass as death growls

metallicbrian666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:08 am 

I love slam. Most bands are interchangeable so I basically just look for bands that do it well, rather than people doing it differently (although a fresh take is always welcome)

Unfortunately there is a lot of bullshit to wade through, but it just makes it all the more satisfying when you click that related video on youtube that kicks your dick off

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:28 am 

I'm a bit on the fence with slams, I have no issue with slams themselves, they're a nice fun change of pace for the more frantic nature of regular BDM, but I don't find them particularly brutal or "sick", they strike me as being pretty much catchy little grooves with not a whole lot savagery behind them. Due to this, I find the slam genre a little bit dull, since it's effectively on technique played over and over and over, but the albums are nice and short and it's a decent change in mood from my usual listening and I don't find the music particularly offensive. I will say my personal preference for brutal death will usually swing towards the more over the top and savage stuff like Brodequin, slam lacks the frantic chaos I seek.

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:37 am 

Well, as a complete and utter noob to the style interested in the genre as a whole, what is the difference between 'Slam' Death, Brutal Death Metal and Deathcore? In fact, some of the bands mentioned here on this thread have pages in the Archives itself tagged as 'Brutal Deathcore,' so by exploring that tag is it possible to delve into the genre? Again, I'd love to know what this is so I've love some help, though I don't do well with written descriptions only, audio help with a write-up is perfect for me so I can hear what it is along with how to go about finding it for myself in the future.

I'm of the purest interests here looking to explore an area I've seen talked about repeatedly here but most of it's quite foreign to me.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:12 pm 

slayrrr666 wrote:
Well, as a complete and utter noob to the style interested in the genre as a whole, what is the difference between 'Slam' Death, Brutal Death Metal and Deathcore? In fact, some of the bands mentioned here on this thread have pages in the Archives itself tagged as 'Brutal Deathcore,' so by exploring that tag is it possible to delve into the genre? Again, I'd love to know what this is so I've love some help, though I don't do well with written descriptions only, audio help with a write-up is perfect for me so I can hear what it is along with how to go about finding it for myself in the future.

I'm of the purest interests here looking to explore an area I've seen talked about repeatedly here but most of it's quite foreign to me.

Brutal death metal is a chunkier and heavier style of death metal that's generally more intense and visceral than regular styles of death metal. Suffocation are arguably the band who started it, and from there it was picked up by bands like Disgorge, Deeds of Flesh, and so on. The bands that play it use more barreling and pummeling rhythms, pinch harmonics, chugs and malevolent-sounding riffs... aside from that I guess it's pretty hard to describe by ear so just listen for yourself:

Most brutal death metal bands use, at least on occasion, "slams", which are thick, chunky, slow but propulsive groove riffs. "Slam death metal" isn't really a genre, per se, but rather a subset of the brutal death metal scene where the bands forgo most actual death metal tremolo riffs in favor of building entire songs out of these chunky groove riffs.

Deathcore can mean one of various things, from full-on tech-death with hardcore influences (early Despised Icon) to melodic death metal mixed with metalcore (early Bring Me the Horizon, Suffokate) to this weird, borderline-unclassifiable mix of super-downtuned chug riffs and the occasional equally-downtuned tremolo riff (early Suicide Silence, early Carnifex). "Brutal deathcore" is usually used to describe either deathcore that is super-intense and reckless (e.g. Unanimity and the Cessation of Hostility by Misericordiam) or the kind that people are mentioning in this thread, i.e. deathcore that takes actual influence from slam death metal vocally and rhythmically (Raped by Pigs, Acranius).
Deathcore:
Brutal deathcore:

I also made this post a little while ago where I try to explain the differences between slams and breakdowns; you may find it helpful.

DarkWolfXV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:51 pm 

Im fan of slam. Its really good music for headbanging/moshing/whatever. Catchy slams, catchy vocal rhythms, toiletgurgling vocals (my favorite part).

Unfortunately, a lot of bands are extremely mediocre and boring, so you have to scour the internet to find a great slam band. Most of slam is horribly unmemorable though. I absolutely love Molesting the Decapitated, but I cant remember a single riff off it. Its incredibly fun music, although not so memorable, and its totally caveman and retarded.

Also, MutantClannfear is 100% spot on with his description of these genres.

Last edited by DarkWolfXV on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:13 pm 

I think Slam RULES!

However, there is (to me at least) a thin line between brutal death and slam in particular, and I find that I almost always favor (and discover, for that matter) bands and albums that there is a combination. Exclusively 'slam' is a rare animal or often mislabeled. Sometimes not labeled enough. Maybe I'm must confused, but how often do you hear slam death metal with out it being brutal? How often do you find slam bands that aren't also technical? I have trouble keeping it all straight. ;)

slam death metal (Chordotomy, Begging For Incest)
slamming brutal death metal (Katalepsy)
slamming technical brutal death metal (Katalepsy)

Note: having just read the earlier post, I need to exclaim that there is nothing 'brutal deathcore' about Begging For Incest. "Diarrhea Dreams" is also my favorite song on the album, in part due to the mention of Paul Allen (I live in his geographical area, etc) and the slow part on the outro. Perhaps I could be convinced otherwise (I have an open mind), but I've never though of BFI as anything other than slam death metal.

Insania
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:19 pm 

I like a few slam bands (like Devourment, Cephalotripsy, etc.) but imo slam should only be a part of a brutal death song, a kind of riff but not a unique style. It works much better when it's mixed with accelerations, blasts, etc. There's unfortunately too many bands that are focusing their compositions ONLY on this slam riffs, maybe due to lack of technicity or easiness.

And btw, I make a clear distinction between NYDM (like Internal Bleeding, Pyrexia, Dehumanized, etc.), and slam bands (Vulvectomy, Begging for Incest, Awaiting the Autopsy, etc.), even if the second descend from the first.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next