Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:17 pm 

That's only if you don't appreciate the structured odd songwriting and riff craft of Obscura. it's all a matter of taste.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:41 pm 

Obscura is rarer too which probably 'skews' the results a bit :roll:

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:56 pm 

ehh in what favor?

if you mean people think it's better because of that... who knows.

Personally I know for myself I've always enjoyed Obscura more for one... I bought it when it came out. So there was nothing about it being rare at that time I paid 12 bucks for it. It was just completely mindblowing for me at that time cause I never heard anything like that before. two.. it was actually the first release I had ever heard from Gorguts so that made me go back and get Erosion and Considered which I both enjoyed but not as much. and third I waited for From Wisdom to Hate to come out and was actually disappointed because it wasn't as crazy as Obscura, but felt it was more like a bridge between Erosion and Obscura. I appreciate it as much as everything else in their discography. No rarity factor weighed in on my taste of any particular release since I pretty much got half when they came out and the others before anyone was really using ebay so both Erosion and Considered I picked up for really damn cheap.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:44 pm 

Obscura is their only Great album, people be trippin' these days

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:51 pm 

SLK yeah I think so man, because it's so coveted I reckon people think it's better or take a bit more care with it and try to enjoy it more because of the fact.
It's not like you can rock into your local music shop and snag one for $10 aye

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:53 pm 

I guess so. I don't know... like I said I got it when it came out. So my experience will vastly be different from many of the younger listeners that had everything at their finger tips via the internet.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:56 pm 

Obscura was just as loved and hated back in, like, '02 or whenever it was when I bought it for cheap. It's not even that difficult of listening, it's not like friggin' Webern or Xenakis level or something.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:02 pm 

I keep forgetting that FWTH came out after Obscura too :lol:
Negativa took a bit of getting used to for me, I wasn't expecting Gorguts though, that CD was the first CD I ever bought online too so it's a bit special really.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:30 am 

The thing with Obscura is, though it came out in 1998, they were demoing and playing some of it back in 1995. I'm not sure how close it was to completion, but I have a feeling it could have been recorded a little bit earlier if it weren't for administrative details and possibly financial issues.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:33 am 

I prefer Obscura, but that's because it's the only album I was familiar with until recently. If anything, people comparing these new songs to a continuation/evolution of From Wisdom to Hate's sound inspired me to check out that album, so thanks! FWTH will hopefully stop me from tearing my hair out in anticipation of this new record. From what I heard of it so far I think I will like it as much as Obscura, but for different reasons. I haven't felt this 'fanboyish' about a band in ages haha... help me! :P

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:38 am 

Sample track sounds great, will for sure get the vinyl! :D

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:07 am 

Gypaetus, there is no reason you should feel bad or need help for fanboying out on Gorguts. You picked a great band to do so! haha. Surprised though you hadn't bothered with anything else they were doing at that time.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:31 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Gypaetus, there is no reason you should feel bad or need help for fanboying out on Gorguts. You picked a great band to do so! haha. Surprised though you hadn't bothered with anything else they were doing at that time.

Haha, I don't feel bad, but I almost always err on the side of caution when it comes to new albums coming out (especially from established bands) so being this hyped is making me feel silly :D Justified, but silly - like a kid getting overly hyped about Christmas or something.

And yeah, I'm surprised with myself too, to be honest. It certainly wasn't intentional by any means. I'd been intending to check out the rest of Gorguts' discog for ages, but it just kept slipping under my radar of things to do (mainly due to getting caught up with uni shit and that). Sucks but eh, better late than never! The amount of bands whose back catalog I've neglected and need to check out is getting ridiculous, but as far as problems are concerned it's not what I'd call a bad one.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:40 am 

Naw, just means when you have time to get around to listening to things you'll have tons of 'new' excellent material to chill with!

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:35 am 

Chaosmonger wrote:
Obscura is their only Great album, people be trippin' these days

I enjoy each of Gorguts' previous albums, but I'm gonna have to agree with you here. They really brought something completely different into the realm of death metal with Obscura, and it's probably one of the last truly innovative death metal albums. Their other albums are awesome, but I think this one is the only true great one (personal tastes aside). A piece of death metal history that has gone on to influence a good number of bands/projects of today.

ghroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:58 pm 

Don't know if this has been posted already, but here are samples from each song on the record

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D ... =dm_sp_alb

Post_Human_Shadows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:37 pm 

it will be there

Last edited by Post_Human_Shadows on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:45 pm 

If I were to make a stupid early judgement based on those clips, I would say I'm probably going to enjoy side B the most, and "The Battle of Chamdo" + "Enemies of Compassion" sound like the more interesting of the lot. Actually, the sample of "Enemies of Compassion" really does remind me of Obscura, or something Steeve Hurdle might've penned back in the day. This is probably going to be an exhausting listen, but probably the best nu-core album to date.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:15 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
This is probably going to be an exhausting listen, but probably the best nu-core album to date.

:evil:

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:44 pm 

http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/07/15/th ... ts-part-2/

part 2 of the luc lemay interview. starts around 15:50

podcast also reveals a new song.

it's this one.

Last edited by Deathstalker1985 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:28 pm 

^ Sweeet! I'm on it now. Thanks again for the notification.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:26 pm 

androdion wrote:
Dragunov wrote:
This is probably going to be an exhausting listen, but probably the best nu-core album to date.

:evil:

:D

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:52 am 

Man, I want to pre-order this with the shirt, but it's going to cost a packet for conversion and shipping to Australia.

But...it's freaking Gorguts....

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:13 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Man, I want to pre-order this with the shirt, but it's going to cost a packet for conversion and shipping to Australia.

But...it's freaking Gorguts....

If you have the funding... Do it. Do it do it do it do it do it.

Spoiler: show
Do it!

:P

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:36 pm 

It wasn't too extreme for the CD + t-shirt for NZ, maybe wait for your local music shop to get some LPs in and grab one then?

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:30 pm 

it doesn't appear that this has leaked publicly yet but there are already people out there that have it, I unfortunately am not one of those people :(

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:32 pm 

We've waited 12 years I'm sure another few weeks won't kill us :roll:

brandon1986
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:34 pm 

DO NOT POST DOWNLOAD LINKS

Last edited by Zodijackyl on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:22 pm 

I just got done listening to it, I know its still early but I would go as far to say its better than both "Obscura" and "From Wisdom to Hate", well worth the long wait

brandon1986
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:42 am 

Deathstalker1985 wrote:
I just got done listening to it, I know its still early but I would go as far to say its better than both "Obscura" and "From Wisdom to Hate", well worth the long wait

I would agree. I really liked "From Wisdom to Hate" (obscura was decent) but I think this is the better album.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:31 am 

Wow, the second half of the album is even better than the first.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:14 am 

Starting weekend with leak of Colored Sands... fucking epic!

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:07 pm 

So, album of the year here.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:19 pm 

Someone in another thread not too long ago lamented that None So Vile was a singular death metal album in that it sounded so organic, not necessarily in the production but that the music itself was like a real, living thing happening right before your eyes each time you played the album. I agree with that, and I think this album hits me the exact same way.

For the benefit of those with willpower, I won't go into specifics, but holy shit, yeah, this is something. It's one of the most musically detailed and powerful things I've ever heard, outside of any genre. And as far as genre does go, it's making most other contemporary death metal songwriters look lazy and shortsighted (but I guess Gorguts always has been good at that) -- especially considering so much death metal these days is reliant on the visionary powers of those who came before.

Oddly enough, hearing it has only made the wait for the physical copy more excruciating. Neeeed.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:32 pm 

ALBUM... OF THE MOTHERFUCKING... DECADE!!! :bow:

I want to say so much about this album that I don't even know where to start... It's everything I hoped it would be, and that I thought it should be, but with even more artistic embellishment and technical flair. Definitely the most mature and intricate effort of the band's entire career, not withstanding Obscura being a creative milestone, and clearly a "team effort" despite Luc being the main songwriter. The presence of the quartet working as individuals and a single unit in unison can really be felt, and the production which I earlier thought to be a bit weird is actually very fitting and intensely dynamic. The whole album is dynamic as fuck but with just enough of that conductive wire needed to stay focused. To be honest it feels like a mature version of Obscura's creative juices, and that alone tells you so much already. It's strangely accessible on first listen due to being more "orderly" in a FWTH fashion, but further spins reveal that the album is much more detailed than it can be heard during the initial approach. The bass sounds massive, the drums have an awesome sound and the guitars are so fucking awesome!

It took the musical world ten years or so to grasp a hold of what Gorguts was doing on their later albums, so we've had a fair share of bands inspired by that sonority, and some of them almost reaching the masters' heights of glory on occasion. But with Colored Sands Luc kindly extended his middle finger and told all of them to go fuck themselves! Gorguts upped the ante immensely with this album and reassured every one of the following; no one plays Gorguts like Gorguts do.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:47 pm 

I heard it once. And... don't know what to say :lol:

I'll have to give this at least a billion more spins. I definitely don't remotely hate it though. It's infinitely better than Obscura. More coherent too. Some of the riffing is genuinely shit I've never heard before in metal. The vocals still suck, but less than I thought when I heard the first single and they work with the dynamism of the sound. The drumming also silences all doubters who thought all Longstreth could do was blastblastblastblast. It really works as an album too, not really a song by song type of deal.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:14 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I heard it once. And... don't know what to say :lol:

I'll have to give this at least a billion more spins. I definitely don't remotely hate it though. It's infinitely better than Obscura. More coherent too. Some of the riffing is genuinely shit I've never heard before in metal. The vocals still suck, but less than I thought when I heard the first single and they work with the dynamism of the sound. The drumming also silences all doubters who thought all Longstreth could do was blastblastblastblast. It really works as an album too, not really a song by song type of deal.

I only listened to it once last night and my reaction was pretty identical to yours. Trust me, by the 2nd listen it starts to gel more in your mind, and by the 4th I was ready to make the declaration androdion just did. (Needless to say, I'm gonna let myself calm down before I start down that road.) Sleeping on it did wonders: when I played it for the first time today, I already was getting the hair-standing-on-end reaction I was disappointed not to get last night. I was hearing things I just hadn't heard 12 hours prior. It reminds me of when I stopped listening to extreme metal for a few years then came back to Emperor's Anthems, after having left off with stuff like Obituary and Sepultura.

I remember one of Clive Barker's breakthrough novels having on its cover a Stephen King blurb to the effect of, "His writing makes the rest of us look like we've been asleep for the past decade." That sums up Colored Sands for me.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:57 pm 

Can't wait to see how Luc pulls this off live.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:14 am 

I'm going to wear my Gorguts t-shirt and play this CD when it arrives, oyeh :nods:

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:38 am 

androdion wrote:
Really excited ramblings about new Gorguts

I was only going to quote bits and pieces of what you wrote here, but... yeah, this. I was ridiculously hyped hearing Forgotten Arrows and An Ocean of Wisdom, so I instantaneously gave in to temptation when I heard this had leaked. It's met, and exceeded my expectations by far, holy shit! I don't really know what else to add yet that won't be incoherent "HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME" style babbling :P But yeah, this is album of the year for me without a shadow of a doubt so far. Absolutely brilliant, and it gets better each listen. For those of you who will be waiting until the album is released properly to listen to this - you will NOT be disappointed :D

DeathfareDevil wrote:
Trust me, by the 2nd listen it starts to gel more in your mind, and by the 4th I was ready to make the declaration androdion just did. (Needless to say, I'm gonna let myself calm down before I start down that road.) Sleeping on it did wonders: when I played it for the first time today, I already was getting the hair-standing-on-end reaction I was disappointed not to get last night. I was hearing things I just hadn't heard 12 hours prior.

The same thing happened for me - I listened last night and thought it was good but I could tell it hadn't really sunk in. Listening to it today (repeatedly), it clicked properly (same hair standing on end reaction haha), and each subsequent listen makes it sound better than the previous listen did.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next