Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:30 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ul ... mis/381803

All their albums are perfect examples of well done tech death, this will be awesome. There's more tracks than their latest, maybe it will have shorter and tighter tracks? Thoughts?

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:38 pm 

Ok, I just want to say that that's an amazing cover. I hope the tracks will be shorter and more to the point this time around. Ulcerate is a decent band but there isn't too much going on in their music, especially when talking about The Destroyers of All.

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:39 pm 

Fuck yes. Can't wait to blast this next to the new Gorguts and turn my brain into a pile of oozing jelly.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:43 pm 

This is exciting. I only have Everything Is Fire, but that one is awesome enough to get me stoked about this new stuff. I definitely agree about the album art. It looks gloomy and filthy.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:46 pm 

The cover looks great. Destroyers was sonically massive but felt empty on the subsequent listens. I also hope the drumming will be a bit more flowing and varied... it's kinda boring.

McCannFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:23 pm 

I'm interested to hear the new material. Their last two albums have been night and day in quality....EOF was a monumental achievement (and one of my favorite newer metal albums, period), and TDOA was meandering, hollow and boring, with bad vocals. On TDOA they were so obsessed with creating atmosphere that they forgot to write good songs. After hearing a live track on youtube, it looks like Vermis will have the same vocals as TDOA (that "yelling" bullshit that they started on TDOA that tries WAY too hard), but hopefully the music has improved (though I'd be shocked if they ever reach EOF-levels again).

Last edited by McCannFan on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:26 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
there isn't too much going on in their music, especially when talking about The Destroyers of All.

Destroyers was kind of deceptive in this regard. The mix was massive and suffocating, but there didn't seem to be nearly as many layers in the guitar department as there was on Everything Is Fire, which in turn made the riffs less memorable for me. Still, I liked Destroyers well enough since Ulcerate do this style like no other band (pending new Gorguts). I'm sure I'll be satisfied with this album, but I'm hoping for more varied song structures and "wtf" guitar layering.

EDIT: Also, this came out of left fucking field. Had no idea they were working on new music.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:34 pm 

MA is claiming that the vinyl will have 1100 copies pressed:

700 in black
300 in metallic gold
100 in clear

The clear-coloured variant is stated as "not available to public". I can't find any other source for this. Can someone clarify where this information came from and why the clear pressing will not be released to the public?

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:52 pm 

it might be something the label is printing up to share around their own offices and for the band. Relapse does this with all their vinyls. 100 that aren't sold to the public and are usually bought second hand. I know this cause I have a few because there is a relapse employee on ebay that is constantly selling the clear vinyls of releases.

This is a great fucking excitement to me, cause like others said... I didn't even know there was something new coming out.

Love the artwork and I also hope it's some more shorter and faster works. While I really enjoyed destroyers... I find the same complaints as others.. I won't say hallow exactly.. but it's not really memorable and everything sorta meshes to just one really long song. Unlike with Everything is Fire where I can immediately pick out riffs and songs. this is kinda like well this is all great and all but after it's all said and done I'm like well I enjoyed that maybe I should listen to it again since I don't even remember it.

Even if this album is just like destroyers i'd be more than excited about getting this.

Also just to throw this out there... if anyone is looking for something along these lines to tide them over till this drops I recommend getting Beyond Terror Beyond Grace's last album, Nadir.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:01 pm 

Definitely looking forward to this. The artwork looks like a combination of like 3 Enslaved album covers from the 00's (especially Below the Lights and Isa).

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:43 pm 

i didnt think i could be more excited for an upcoming release when kingdom of conspiracy was announced earlier this year but this, alongside the upcoming gorguts record have topped it, cannot wait. will be interesting to see if this effort does indeed contain shorter, tighter tracks too

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:49 pm 

"Album trailer" with what sounds to be 40 sec. of the beginning/intro of a song. Not much of anything, but there ya go...

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:39 pm 

Ulcerate is a stellar band, I remember when Everything is Fire came out, that band took off like a rocket! I think many of us weer a little underwhelmed by The Destroyers Of All. It was a good album, but felt like it stuck a little too closely to the album before it. I too think they would benefit from changing their structure a little. Either way I am looking forward to this, there will be some great music on it for sure.

BoltTheGates
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:55 pm 

There's a short studio report in the latest issue of Decibel (Amon Amarth cover) for the album. Their drummer says they were going for "an uglier, more direct sound" with this new album, rather than the "clean and tidy" sound of 'Destroyers...'.

I'm excited for this album. I was really surprised to see the announcement earlier today. There was no mention of a release date in the small Decibel feature and I was expecting this to come out later in the year.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:57 pm 

revisting Destroyer currently and it's just making me more wet to hear this new material that's supposed to be uglier.

SingLoco
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:04 pm 

I don't understand most people's seeming dislike of TDOA. Perhaps the songs are a bit too long and meandering, but I like it as much as the others. The teaser doesn't give anything away AT ALL, I think they should at least throw some vocals into the mix if they expect everyone to preorder the album on sight like that. I mean, its Ulcerate and you can expect it to be a quality release, but seriously. This, Deeds and Wormed may take up the top 3 albums of their caliber in 2013 (I hope).

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:34 pm 

*cough Cough*

Gorguts has more incommon with them than either of those other two.

SingLoco
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:50 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
*cough Cough*

You're right but it's technical brutal death metal, though, so what's the difference really in either case you can listen to the two while lying in wait for those albums.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:52 pm 

New Gorguts and new Ulcerate, both coming out in the next couple of months? :drool: I wish I had something more interesting to contribute, but that really sums it up. I can't wait.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:26 pm 

SingLoco wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
*cough Cough*

You're right but it's technical brutal death metal, though, so what's the difference really in either case you can listen to the two while lying in wait for those albums.

i really don't consider Ulcerate part of the brutal death metal genere since the genocide comp. and really they dropped the technical part with everything is fire... while it might be technical it's not the first thing I think of, it's closer to like how Immolation is... certainly lots of difficult riffs and what not but no one calls them techincal death metal.

you get me?

SingLoco
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:35 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
you get me?

Okay buddy if you want to call them straight up death metal like Immo that is fine with me. Just know that lots of other people think of them as other genres, you should possibly be more open to genre interpretation?

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:42 am 

I liked TDOA about as much as EOF. Great band, I'm looking forward to this. I am a bit disappointed to see they changed their logo here. Their previous one, with the distressed block lettering, was a lot cooler looking.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:47 am 

Oooh, really looking forward to this. I can't really say anything beyond echoing everyone else - not the biggest fan of Destroyers, hope they get back to the tightness of Everyone is Fire; I'll be pleased regardless, though. I do hope they tour this one; I managed to miss them playing (with Ignivomous, too - incredible line-up) last year, when they said they'd be going into the studio and returning to live shows with new stuff. Finally, the moment is near.

Re the genre debate - I'd agree that they're neither brutal nor technical death these days, but I definitely wouldn't compare them to Immolation, given that Ulcerate are, well, hard to pin down and rather far away from the meat-and-potatoes death metal of the former. Not that I dislike Immolation - love their stuff, in fact - but it strikes me that they really don't sound like Ulcerate at all. Nor do Wormed or Deeds, though... But I didn't see that original comment as comparing them, sonically, anyway.

SingLoco
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:58 am 

Calusari wrote:
Re the genre debate - I'd agree that they're neither brutal nor technical death these days, but I definitely wouldn't compare them to Immolation, given that Ulcerate are, well, hard to pin down and rather far away from the meat-and-potatoes death metal of the former. Not that I dislike Immolation - love their stuff, in fact - but it strikes me that they really don't sound like Ulcerate at all. Nor do Wormed or Deeds, though... But I didn't see that original comment as comparing them, sonically, anyway.

Well, I still think they're brutal and technical - also that they don't sound like Immolation. As far as genres go, many fans of dm probably consider them a similar band that they enjoy, even if they are in a league of their own in terms of dissonance and rhythm pattern variations.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:09 am 

I personally think their genre is something like "atmospheric technical death metal" and there's even post metal touches on Destroyers. Still their genre on MA fits for now, yeah they don't sound like most tech death bands but they're definitely more technical than traditional death metal and not brutal enough to be classified as such.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

SingLoco
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:47 am 

Metantoine wrote:
I personally think their genre is something like "atmospheric technical death metal" and there's even post metal touches on Destroyers. Still their genre on MA fits for now, yeah they don't sound like most tech death bands but they're definitely more technical than traditional death metal and not brutal enough to be classified as such.

Word, and their genre is technical death metal on MA. Thank you for spreading your metal knowledge (sincerely). Atmospheric death metal is a good genre for labeling them with although it's not necessarily as established as the atmospheric black metal genre is already, hehe.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:57 am 

Cool, haven't heard their first album but the two after that were really good. The teaser doesn't give us much to go on, just some brooding dissonance. Looking forward to this.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:03 am 

ld50 wrote:
"Album trailer" with what sounds to be 40 sec. of the beginning/intro of a song. Not much of anything, but there ya go...

More like just an announcement video than anything else. Either way, even without a sample for us to feast on, I'd say I'm really hopeful for Vermis. And the merch looks good too, I'm sure to get this towards the end of the year.

Undecalith
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:29 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

really they dropped the technical part with everything is fire... while it might be technical it's not the first thing I think of, it's closer to like how Immolation is... certainly lots of difficult riffs and what not but no one calls them techincal death metal.

I always considered them technical death metal because of Everything Is Fire. TDOA marred that image up a bit, but Everything Is Fire with was relatively complex in terms of composition. The five-six layers of guitar, three-four layers of bass, Jamie's improvised style, and innumerable time signature changes really hit home with me when describing it as a technical death metal release. Sure, the fact they like to abuse arpeggiated chords makes it sound less traditional than a band like Deeds Of Flesh who noodle all over a particular scale, but Everything Is Fire was certainly technical enough to be considered as such on first listen. I just wish Ulcerate would mix their own material again...

Anyway this is great news. I'm definitely looking forward to it as Everything Is Fire is one of my favorite death metal releases ever. I do hope it's more abrasive than TDOA. Even something akin to OFAF would be nice.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:06 am 

Not much love for The Destroyers of All, but I think it's pretty good, even though I do prefer Everything is Fire.

Looking forward to hearing Vermis when it's out. I'm almost certain that Ulcerate won't disappoint. Plus, with them being Kiwis, they'll tour Australia for sure. That will be great.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:35 am 

Love both Destroyers and Everything. Destroyers was crazy to smoke a bowl to. Just massive, spaced out dissonance and some of the best drumming ever.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:51 am 

SingLoco wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
you get me?

Okay buddy if you want to call them straight up death metal like Immo that is fine with me. Just know that lots of other people think of them as other genres, you should possibly be more open to genre interpretation?

if it makes since I would be, but it doesn't. So maybe try thinking outside of your own genre interpretation.

See I do agree more with the atmospheric tag than technical. I'm in no way saying they aren't technical cause I said that in my original post. It's basically when the tag is applied it's thought of more of as that's the focus of the music/band. And that's really not the case of Ulcerate, it's def more on the actual song than how many tempo shifts, riffs, or layers there are on a song.

It's not like I just pull this out of my ass. And I compare them to Immolation not because I think of them 'typical' death metal because I don't find Immolation that either, they have their healthy share of twists and turns and an abundance of dissonance. it's not directly the same way but sonically they both occupy the same headspace for me.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:30 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

FTW :)

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:43 am 

iTunes has a 90 second song preview up.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:46 am 

:wanker: Well that doesn't do me much good. If it appears up on youtube I'll be there.

katatonia47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:28 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Not much love for The Destroyers of All, but I think it's pretty good, even though I do prefer Everything is Fire.

Looking forward to hearing Vermis when it's out. I'm almost certain that Ulcerate won't disappoint. Plus, with them being Kiwis, they'll tour Australia for sure. That will be great.

I missed them last time, I will make sure to rectify that.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:36 am 

i don't quite get all the hate for destroyers - i think i like it even more than everything is fire - the more atmospheric approach works really well for them

can't wait for this new one in any case (along with new gorguts and carcass)

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:25 am 

Would it be inaccurate to call them the DsO of death metal? I kind of think so myself. I myself can't wait for this. I liked Everything is Fire and TDOA both.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

McCannFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:41 am 

Just listened to the itunes preview, and am really disappointed. If this is representative of the album, then it'll be destroyers part 2, and I'll say that they've officially lost it.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:25 am 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
Would it be inaccurate to call them the DsO of death metal? I kind of think so myself. I myself can't wait for this. I liked Everything is Fire and TDOA both.

I hate the "[x band] of [genre]" cliche, but I don't think it's inaccurate. Ulcerate uses a lot more guitar layering and have a generally different aesthetic quality, but yeah.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next