Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
deicidefan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:06 pm 

Yeah, this sucks ass. How disappointing.

DeadXManiac wrote:
Benton's the T-Pain of death metal.

#ONLYSLAMISREAL

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:48 pm 

The mix is a complete mess. It sounds like they just assigned random levels to everything and then brickwalled it.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:52 pm 

Ew. The mixing on this is really bad. The guitars sound like DURRRGGE the entire time.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:00 pm 

Also, the keyboards sound like dogshit. It's as if they recorded them at normal speed, rewound them backward, then put them on the song at fast forward again.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:10 pm 

Super-horrible mix where everything tries to drown everything else out? Check!
Symphonic elements aimlessly slathered over the rest of the music with very little sense of dynamics? Check!
Vapid tech-death riffing that doesn't really do anything of significance? Check!

The fact that metalheads eat shit like this up because it's got a symphony behind it and that makes it more "intellectual" is embarrassing.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:20 pm 

Jesus Christ, Fleshgod...

Just quit it and start making some classical music or something, you are already technically doing movie scores, drop the badly mix guitars, vox, add in the that opera chich from "The Egosim" and *boom*, some philharmonic orchestra will play your shit.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:30 pm 

Dear Fleshgod Apocalypse: Please kill your keyboardist.

Sincerely,
Death metal fans

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:33 pm 

Well... there's one good thing to take from that song. I won't have to bother myself with listening the new album. Alas, I don't even want to repeat the last four minutes.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:34 pm 

If anything, they will have a bonus cover track where you can actually hear the guitars. They did that with Agony, we can go two for two.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:36 pm 

On my second listen and I can't believe how terrible this sounds. Yes, Agony was a boring blur, but at least it didn't sound like complete dogshit (in my opinion, at least).

This, in a word, sucks.

WarriorFenix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:11 pm 

Id never heard anything by these guys before and im going againast the grain here in that i actually liked it. I must say ive never heard anything quite like that before, all in instruments played at a furious pace (and i thought Dragonforce was pretty fast) with a kind of over the top grandular sound created. I can see why people hated it because things do seem all over the place but it actually clicked with me.

But like i said this is uncharted territory for myself, so if theres somebody that does similar but better in your opinions please let me know.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:29 pm 

Warrior... go listen to Scrambled Defuncts. They do it far better and are faster.

This was just like I imagined. No guitars in the mix, all keyboards and drums. They might as well not have any stringed instruments anymore. And on top of that it's not even decently mixed for those 2 instruments either. I agree with everyone else, I'm glad I won't have to investigate any further, apparently the negavtive comments to their mix have never made it to their ears.

Vintersorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:48 pm 

One word: sterile.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:51 pm 

that mix just sounds...odd to me

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:03 pm 

You know you produced something awful when the dude listening to your music prefers the new T.O.O.H song to this. Also, I don't know if their drummer is delusional or not, but just read this quote:

"Labyrith is going to be THE album for Fleshgod. It's the perfect combination of of all our strong points with the best production we've ever had."

Most youtube commenters seem to agree with him though, and one of the commenters who dared to be critical of it (while still praising Agony) got marked as "This comment has received too many negative votes" which is a stupid thing it itself because when something is seen as negative by lots of people it ofcourse automatically becomes wrong and no one should read it anymore....

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:10 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
Most youtube commenters seem to agree with him though, and one of the commenters who dared to be critical of it (while still praising Agony) got marked as "This comment has received too many negative votes" which is a stupid thing it itself because when something is seen as negative by lots of people it ofcourse automatically becomes wrong and no one should read it anymore....

Granted, Youtube's got one of the worst internet communities out there and every video that has someone saying anything critical in the comments is thumbed down and given a bunch of STFU responses.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:14 pm 

Well, their drummer is still nice and fast and precise and the death growls sound good. Too bad I can barely hear what the guitars are doing. And holy brickwalling batman. Could they compress that and force the volume up any more? I'll just keep listening to Oracles, thanks.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:27 pm 

I figured it would sound something like that. It was very frustrating to listen to. It sounds like underneath the shitty, shitty production, the overbearing symphonic stuff and without the clean vocalist there could have been a somewhat decent song underneath it all. Hell, I could deal with the overbearing symphonics if it had better production - they sound marginally more interesting than what was on Agony. Oh well. I might check out another song when it's released in the vain hope that this isn't going to be what the rest of the album sounds like, but I'm not exactly confident that the other songs will be any better.

GhostlyGloom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:26 pm 

I don't know. I can't stand the clean vocals, that's what turned me off of Agony.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:30 pm 

Now the only thing I'm looking forward is the end-of-album Piano piece. But he'll, just wait, the mixing of that will be horrible also.

"But it is only one instrument"

My point exactly. They will not likely ruin a simple piano piece.

Now I'm talking to myself...

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:39 pm 

lol, this sounds even worse than Agony. Will not listen.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:19 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
lol, this sounds even worse than Agony. Will not listen.

:-D Is there some guitars in the mix? I can't hear them. Oh, I guess there's a solo... Overproduced, gimmicky shit.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:27 pm 

It could be interesting if they pull an Opeth and release one album of just technical death metal and another with just the classical elements.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:58 pm 

Pagan_Death_Sceam wrote:
Now the only thing I'm looking forward is the end-of-album Piano piece. But he'll, just wait, the mixing of that will be horrible also.

"But it is only one instrument"

My point exactly. They will not likely ruin a simple piano piece.

Now I'm talking to myself...

Let's brickwall a piano and see how loud we can get it! Okay!

luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:19 pm 

I like it. :oh shit: Also, :lol: @ the hate comments.

Oddly enough, this track sounds exactly like my description of "The Imposition" in one of my earlier posts. Sounds nearly identical. Just utterly over-the-top, yet deeply structured madness. It is pretty goddamn out of bounds for them, for sure, yet somehow 'controlled', if that makes any sense.

I'm going to be in the minority here and say that I am stoked to hear the rest of the album. To me, this sounds like something to be heard more than once. I also wonder how this track will flow into the album. They are fairly good about making their releases somewhat cohesive from track-to-track.

Fleshgod clearly are Brutal/ Technical Symphonic Metal now. Its not "just death metal" any longer. They have definitely made sure of that.

Against Such Things wrote:
It could be interesting if they pull an Opeth and release one album of just technical death metal and another with just the classical elements.

That I would like to see. Or go the Emperor route and release tracks/ songs like Inno A Satana / Opus A Satana.

FantomLord17
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:43 am 

I liked it, how over the top it is. Didn't care for the production, enjoyed the clean vocals and loved the second half with the guitar soloing. I just hope the rest of the album isn't just relentless blastbeating and has some nice variety of mood and tempo.

VaeFUCKINGVictus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:06 am 

I don't know, I find the blastbeat-ridden orchesturbation brickwalled craziness and over-the-topness endearing, it's become their trademark, as tragic as it is to some. Since Agony, Fleshgod have been kind of a guilty pleasure of mine because of their absurd nature, but enjoyable precisely because of it. "Dragonforce of Death Metal" is quite apt. The polarizing responses so far is exactly what I expected from this release.

I turn more to their sister band Hour of Penance for a more serious death metal listen. Their last release was solid! EDIT: Just found out they have none of their original members, ehhh.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:11 am 

New song is pretty cool to me. Yeah I wish the guitars were louder but I think the symphonic elements sound waayy better and catchier than they were on Agony. Cool horns, cool breakdowny riff, cool solo. Cool song, cool band. Still doesn't top Ovid's Withering as the best current symphonic metal band though.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

necropsyalpha
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:03 am 

I like how all the people here bitch about fleshgods production when most of these same people go off and listen to burzum and garbage like that

I mean really

Of a forum that prides it self on enjoying horrible tin can productions when something goes slightly (and I mean slightly) the otherway every burzum fan whines and has a shitfit

Its clear everyone who is disliking fleshgod is disliking them simply cus they don't like keyboards and symphonic elements

I thought the song was great btw

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:33 am 

necropsyalpha wrote:
Its clear everyone who is disliking fleshgod is disliking them simply cus they don't like keyboards and symphonic elements

Whoa there, buddy. read above posts. The mix is the problem and there is an example of showing opinion without getting all butthurt, matey. Like the song? Good for you, what do you want? A Cookie or a pat on the back for being different?

Also, Burzum had two keyboard albums. I shall go off and listen to Burzum's Ambient albums, while activly noting my hate for keyboards in metal!

Now, Back on topic, I went and checked out the mixer for said album. Fleshgod has had the same mixer and masterer for all of their albums. Which means one conclusion....

This mix was what they asked for and payed the guy to do...

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:39 am 

necropsyalpha wrote:
You're all Burzum loving elitists! You only dislike Fleshgod Apocalypse because you're close minded assholes :cry:

Hahaha that's comedy gold right there. I'm absolutely certain you're trolling, but on the offhanded chance that you're not and you're just having a total bitchfit: I don't listen to Burzum, I quite like symphonic elements, I'm not picky about production, but I think the new Fleshgod Apocalypse song sucked ass and the production they are using for this album (and for Agony) is terrible. Would you like a tissue?

Pagan_Death_Sceam wrote:

Now, Back on topic, I went and checked out the mixer for said album. Fleshgod has had the same mixer and masterer for all of their albums. Which means one conclusion....

This mix was what they asked for and payed the guy to do...

Seriously? :ugh: Well that's disappointing to say the least. What on earth are they thinking?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:53 am 

They were thinking a brickwalled album of keyboards and blast beats sells the most amount of records.

necropsyalpha, what you obviously can't comprehend from the comments... it's not the elements that composed the piece that are the main gripe, it's mixed so key elements that most of us want to hear are completely drowned out, polished over and amplified to unnecessary levels. Once you get some more reading comprehension under your belt you would've been able to gather those basic ideas that we all had shared.

I didn't even make it to the clean vocals before I turned it off, to me I can't really judge the piece on the merit of it's songwriting like the last album. I feel it's incomplete. I can't make out guitars or bass so it's not the songwriting that turns me away, it's the purposefully burying of the main aspects I would listen to this band for.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:58 am 

I turned it off just when the clean vocals started, but listened to it all the way through afterwards to try and give it a fair shot. I wish I hadn't done that, I had a better impression of it when I stopped it after a couple of minutes. Saying it's incomplete is a good way of putting it. I do think there could be a good song buried... somewhere. It's ruined though, sadly.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:15 am 

The mix does seem to be the worst aspect of the song. Having the guitars so inconsequential doesn't seem like the worst thing in the world since all the audible riffs are shitty dundundundun's, its just a shame all the stuff they sacrificed riffs for (again) is such a magnificent clusterfuck of overtriggered drums and horrid sounding synthphonics. They've obviously put a lot of work into those keyboard parts, but they're put together so hideously its not worth trying to digest them.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:20 am 

@necropsyalpha

Darkthrone's "Under a Funeral Moon" (which I guess you would consider be part of the "and all that shit"-comment) is leagues and leagues ahead of this shite in terms of production and mix.

Listened to this track again (or rather tried to), but seriously... it's a mess. And it's not only the mix.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:05 am 

necropsyalpha wrote:
I like how all the people here bitch about fleshgods production when most of these same people go off and listen to burzum and garbage like that

I mean really

Of a forum that prides it self on enjoying horrible tin can productions when something goes slightly (and I mean slightly) the otherway every burzum fan whines and has a shitfit

I like Burzum and Nightwish.

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:02 pm 

necropsyalpha wrote:

I mean really

Two of my favourite recent death metal albums heavily use keyboards and symphonic elements:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93Kqz49tQB8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBqaWfnCRZE

Black metal also happens to be my favourite genre of metal.

What are you trying to say here?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:34 pm 

BH's official opinion: Yeah, it's mixed like crap but it's not as completely guitarless as some of y'all make it seem. It's brickwalled and clippy, which is irritating, but it's clearly meant to be a fully in-your-face type of thing anyway. It's... I dunno, it's not awful. I feel like my opinion on Agony will probably work just as well here. It's horribly, horribly flawed, but I like the idea and there's a lot of potential hidden within the songs, they're just buried under an ill-fitting orchestra and some absurdly wonky ideas.

I think it's safe to say that Oracles was a total one-off. This is their sound now, and they're totally okay with abandoning that style and the fans as a result in favor of this new style and new fans. It's a bit of a shame since that first album is damn near untouchable, but I guess Hour of Penance still exists so it's not all bad.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:55 pm 

By chance, someone here in Italy are addicted to/praise the labyrinth??? :-D

On topic, plastic brutal death for plastic nowdays pop fan.

"You make it easy."

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:13 pm 

That album art looks better then the new flesh god

i wish the album art was better

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next