Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:34 pm 

Alright, so everyone has talked about their favorite non-extreme metal singers time and time again, but what about everyone's extreme metal vocalists? What album would you say is their magnum opus? Here are a few of mine in no particular order

Mortuus
Depraved and evil-sounding, he ain't as legendary as Legion IMO, but he's still a fucking beast with frightening vocals shown from his work with both Marduk and Funeral Mist. I can't really say what his magnus opus is since he really has yet to do a particularly bad or weak performance, so for me all of his vocal performances are close to A+
Perdition's Light by Funeral Mist

Ben Falgoust
Yeah, yeah, I know, Goatwhore isn't the most kvlt black metal band to ever exist (they aren't even really black metal to begin with, more like black/death/thrash if anything) but Ben Falgoust is a damn good vocalist and a pretty cool person imo. I'm a pretty big Goatwhore fan since I like almost all of their records quite a bit (especially the last two) and Ben's voice is pretty unique. I like his raspy black/death metal vocal and it sounds pretty sick when layered with Duet's black metal rasp.
Carving Out the Eyes of God by Goatwhore

Legion
Former Marduk vocalist and a legendary black metal vocalist imo. His work on albums such as Heaven Shall Burn...When We Are Gathered and Panzer Division Marduk are very memorable and you pretty much recognize his voice instantly when you hear him expel Lucifer from his lungs. I had thought that his voice had gotten weaker after PDM but after hearing Witchkrieg by Witchery I am starting to doubt that. Hopefully he isn't totally done working with bands as I'd definitely like to hear him again in the future.
Legion by Marduk

Helmuth
Helmuth from Belphegor is pretty much a very talented guy and he's one of my biggest influences when it comes to songwriting and vocal aspirations (although strangely enough I'd fit more in a brutal death metal band due to my actual vocal sound). He and Sigurd are some of my favorite extreme metal guitar combinations since they worked so well together and created some really sick sounding riffs and 'Sathan arts'. Helmuth's voice is pretty sick as he, like Mortuus, sounds evil and depraved pretty much all the time. Despite Belphegor's music quality declining noticeably after Pestapokalypse VI, Helmuth's voice hasn't really gone to shit at all, and he's pretty much the only thing that's stayed totally consistent since the beginning if not improved. I think his opus magnus is Pestapokalypse VI. He just delivers a frightening and bone-sawing vocal performance and you can tell that he's serious about his craft.
Belphegor- Hell's Ambassador by Belphegor

Glen Benton
I think that his voice is probably among the most brutal and destructive out of all of the veteran death metal vocalists aside from Frank Mullen and Craig Pillard, personally. I know people give him a lot of shit for his vocals after Serpents of the Light but, come on, you can't say that his vocals on Dechristianize and The Stench of Redemption weren't A+ performances. I think he has two magnum opus(es?), Dechristianize and Legion.
Revocate the Agitator by Deicide

Niklas Kvarforth
Whether you think he's seriously mentally ill or just plain retarded, you can't say that he's a shit frontman or vocalist. His pained screams have always struck me profoundly and he definitely doesn't half-ass anything he does. Also, in contrast to his ridiculous yells and shrieks, he can sing pretty damn well and does it more frequently on each album as time passes, which I think is cool. I think that he could quite possibly do an entire album with just cleans on maybe a side project or solo album or something and pull it off perfectly.
Fortvivlan Min Arvedel by Shining
Ohm (Sommar Med Siv) by Shining

Ross Dolan
I think that this guy needs no introduction. He's the vocalist/bassist of the prominent NY death metal band, Immolation. Like Mortuus, he pretty much puts in an A+ performance into pretty much everything he's done so far, so I don't really think he has any particular magnus opus on his own, but he's still an amazing vocalist with pretty much one of the most unique voices in death metal. Low, commanding and devilish every time you hear him spew out one of his Christ-caging lyrics.
Christ's Cage by Immolation

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:11 pm 

Fabio Marin - The eptiome of Brutal Death Metal vocals. Truly full of hatred and rage whike still being one of the lowest and fastest vocals I've heard.

Oh, and becuase he doesn't try too hard and end up sounding like a pig/frog.

Last edited by Cloud0129 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:15 pm 

I've got a pretty clear top 3, Lord Worm, Craig Pillard and Dave Hunt. Lord Worm obviously for his rabid dog barks and frenzied highs, Hunt for his insane range of techniques, and those screeches are amazing, and Pillard is the absolute pinnacle of the straight up death growl, with wonderful power and depth, he sounds truly demonic. Special mentions for Greg Chandler for the inhuman greatness of his processed screams, really adds to Esoteric's alien sort of sound.

As for your picks, Legion is pretty one dimensional, and the passages where he doesn't shut up are the worst things about those albums you mentioned, although I do like his tone. Mortuus is amazing on Rom 5:12, but he seems to be out of his comfort zone with other Marduk stuff to me, when things get fast he loses all those weird gurgles and snarls that he can pull off on the slower stuff. And while I love Belphegor's vocals, aren't they a dual vocalist band?

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:33 pm 

Ola Lindgren from Grave is probably my favourite, while his range is quite limited I feel that his gravelly aggressive hateful roars are unmatched in ferocity.

Karl Willets from Bolt Thrower is also one of my favourite's, once again very limited in range but his vocals suit the music of Bolt Thrower.

Dallas Toler Wade from Nile is really good too. Really clear wth his growls.

Sakis Tholis from Rotting Christ has a really unique vocal style, especially love the chanting style stuff and the monotone industrial style vocals. A real nice range to keep it interesting.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:37 pm 

Readers of my reviews may notice that while I've never reviewed the band, I frequently cite Mads Haarlov from Iniquity as the death metal vocalist to beat. I love how he doesn't sound like a guy growling or shouting or anything, he just barely sounds human in the first place. It's a really powerful primal roar, and I absolutely fucking adore it. More guys should try to emulate him (or Ross Dolan, who is similar and also really, really awesome at what he does.

And then of course there's Haruhisa Takahata from Gotsu Totsu Kotsu, a band I've been pimping a lot lately. It's the same style as Haarlov, just a really bestial, inhuman roar. I feel like it takes a lot of skill to make your voice that unrecognizable as human without crossing into the goregrind drainpipe territory, and it fits so well with the style of death metal in general. It's basically what all death metal vocalists should aspire to.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:38 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
I've got a pretty clear top 3, Lord Worm, Craig Pillard and Dave Hunt. Lord Worm obviously for his rabid dog barks and frenzied highs, Hunt for his insane range of techniques, and those screeches are amazing, and Pillard is the absolute pinnacle of the straight up death growl, with wonderful power and depth, he sounds truly demonic. Special mentions for Greg Chandler for the inhuman greatness of his processed screams, really adds to Esoteric's alien sort of sound.

As for your picks, Legion is pretty one dimensional, and the passages where he doesn't shut up are the worst things about those albums you mentioned, although I do like his tone. Mortuus is amazing on Rom 5:12, but he seems to be out of his comfort zone with other Marduk stuff to me, when things get fast he loses all those weird gurgles and snarls that he can pull off on the slower stuff. And while I love Belphegor's vocals, aren't they a dual vocalist band?

...thanks
-_-

and no, Helmuth is the sole vocalist for Bephegor, has always been. Live, the bassist Serpenth may occasionally do back-up vocals for certain songs, but it's mostly all Helmuth.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:56 pm 

Nice, Helmuth justly deserves a mention then, great voice, perfectly suited to the bands sound and image.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:03 pm 

I would second Craig Pillard, Dave hunt, Greg Chandler and Ross Dolan as some of my favourites. They all sound utterly possessed and unhinged, though in rather different ways. Craig Pillard has this amazingly low/deep rumble that just comes across as effortless, and I'm half convinced that he's a demon of some sort. Dave Hunt sounds... broken, like his mind has snapped and that Anaal Nathrakh is some kind of therapy for him. The range of vocal techniques he has (as lord_ghengis mentioned) is insane, and his ability to segue from some rabid scream to these soaring cleans, whilst still sounding utterly bonkers is impressive to say the least. Greg Chandler might possibly have one of the most powerful and demonic sounding roars I've heard - he sounds as unhinged as Dave Hunt, but in an entirely different way. Finally, Ross Dolan not only has a really awesome tone to his growls, but the way he paces himself when he's growling away has this rhythmic quality to it that make his vocals worm their way into your head and stay there. It's hard to explain, but it makes him one of the only truly 'catchy' death metal vocalists I've come across.

I am also really fond of K.K. Warslut from Destroyer 666, particularly his performance in their 2000 album Phoenix Rising. It's not the most multidimensional vocal performance, but he just sounds so genuinely pissed off and passionate that I find it impossible not to get swept up in it. Travis Ryan from Cattle Decapitation is another vocalist that I love - his performance in Monolith of Inhumanity blew me away, especially the half sung/growled vocals that he utilised in that album (like in the chorus of Kingdom of Tyrants). He's probably only second to Dave Hunt (for me) in regards to the sheer amount of different vocal techniques that he can use, and use well.

Edit: I'd also like to mention Proscriptor - I don't really listen to Absu often, but to be able to play the drums like that and do vocals at all, let alone do these crazy ass shrieks at such a fast speed... The man scares me. Lagartija from the USBM thread put it well:
Lagartija wrote:
Proscriptor is an octopus on speed.

FromMarsToSirius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:16 pm 

edit.

Last edited by FromMarsToSirius on Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:20 pm 

The guy from Arckanum, his vocals almost seem to mimic wolves howling or crows, especially on the first two albums.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzt989LVLYE

Last edited by Lord Tempestuous on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:20 pm 

not as familiar with some of those guys, but my vote for Benton would be based on the genuine anger and hatred spewing forth from his growls, without sounding cheezy or lending itself to parody like some vocalists do.

DARKZSOU7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:23 pm 

King Fowley ofcourse cause if you seen either of his bands Deceased or October 31 you would know how awesome he performs. Especially with Deceased, his vocals fits with those horror lyrics as if he was telling them from experience.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:45 pm 

it's all about martin van drunen for me (if he's considered extreme these days). he sounds like he's having his legs cut off. consuming impulse is one of the greatest albums of all time. never heard such fucking great vocals.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:54 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
not as familiar with some of those guys, but my vote for Benton would be based on the genuine anger and hatred spewing forth from his growls, without sounding cheezy or lending itself to parody like some vocalists do.

well which album that he's been involved with is your favorite?

BastardHead wrote:

ThrashingTheRedemer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:59 pm 

No love for Attila Csihar???

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:06 pm 

IX from Urfaust and whoever does vocals for Akitsa(O.T. or Néant?). Twisted and perfect for the music.
Chris Reifert has the most vile vocals I know, he sounds like he's vomiting the lyrics, again fits perfectly the band's sound.

Hatada, and later Tsukasa from Swarrrm. They are insane.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:28 pm 

ThrashingTheRedemer wrote:
No love for Attila Csihar???

yeah of course, but has hasn't had nearly as many albums to show what he's truly capable of as a lot of the other folks mentioned ITT (not to discredit his work with Mayhem, though)

BastardHead wrote:

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:32 pm 

Attila Csihar
This man sounds like evil embodied into human flesh. He channels the 7 layers of hell into a twisted aural assault that really has no compare. There's a lot of hyperbole there, but the man really knows how to use and manipulate the human voice in strange, deranged manners.

Justin Broadrick
I've never heard someone sound quite as angry as Justin. His incessant shouting of, "Don't hold me back, this is my own hell!" in Christbait Rising really demonstrates what a monster he is. Listening to him yell is like watching a trash compactor repeatedly smash things into tiny pieces.

Tom G. Warrior
Throughout the years, be it in Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, or Triptykon, Tom has repeatedly led us down a winding road of depression and hatred. His voice is tortured and scarred, but at the same time his vocals represents all of the contempt and disdain for mankind that has ever existed. If you need someone to feel your pain with you, then Tom is that man. It feels like he is channeling you hurt and anger. It feels like he shares in your pain, whatever it may be.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:48 pm 

TheRealThing wrote:

Justin Broadrick
I've never heard someone sound quite as angry as Justin. His incessant shouting of, "Don't hold me back, this is my own hell!" in Christbait Rising really demonstrates what a monster he is. Listening to him yell is like watching a trash compactor repeatedly smash things into tiny pieces.

Forgot to mention him in my post. His performance on Streetcleaner is perfect, pure hatred

Quote:
Tom G. Warrior
Throughout the years, be it in Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, or Triptykon, Tom has repeatedly led us down a winding road of depression and hatred. His voice is tortured and scarred, but at the same time his vocals represents all of the contempt and disdain for mankind that has ever existed. If you need someone to feel your pain with you, then Tom is that man. It feels like he is channeling you hurt and anger. It feels like he shares in your pain, whatever it may be

UUUGH

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:55 pm 

David Vincent on the first three Morbid Angel albums is pretty much iconoclastic. He uses a different style on each one but retains the sort of raw, brutal power - that animalistic bark, and yet not completely inhuman. I think that's what I like in DM vocalists...I like the ones that sound unhinged and insane, yet still not completely out of this world and demonic. The ones that retain a human touch to their voices just sound so much more convincing to me. As good as guys like Ross Dolan and Craig Pillard and the like are, they'll just never be my favorites because of that.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:12 am 

Dave Hunt, Greg Chandler, Lord Worm and Proscriptor seconded.

Jason Mendonca (Akercocke) is among my favorites, insane range great performances everywhere, that death grunt was vicious. Mark of the Devil (Cultes Des Ghoules) quickly got my respect, he sounds tortured and broken and he's out to get you for it. There are a few important ones I'm missing, I'm sure...
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Lightsbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:16 am 

Maniac (Mayhem)
He gets a lot of hate and I'll admit that at first I wasn't too fond of him but he was in my opinion perfect for Mayhem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TmVV5kP18w

Jeff Walker (Carcass)
Despite all the vocalists that try to imitate him no one sounds quite like Jeff Walker. He just sounds like he doesn't care and is effortlessly sounding so venomous.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA6LqVfjMcg

Jon Nödtveidt (Dissection)
Although he stuck to roughly the same tone he was able to brilliantly deliver his lyrics with emotion and conviction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxfn2lwLzXI

Scott Lewis (Carnifex)
I really like how despite being in a deathcore band he doesn't shy away from showing his black metal influences.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxIMy39h0CM

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:16 am 

Marag wrote:
UUUGH

That pretty much sums him up!

Oh, I also want to mention V.I.T.R.I.O.L. from Anaal Nathrakh. His range, both clean and harsh, is astounding. Some of his screams on Hell Is Empty... are fucking malevolent.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:21 am 

TheRealThing wrote:
Oh, I also want to mention V.I.T.R.I.O.L. from Anaal Nathrakh. His range, both clean and harsh, is astounding. Some of his screams on Hell Is Empty... are fucking malevolent.

Dave Hunt is V.I.T.R.I.O.L., man. Just pointing it out.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:26 am 

Nochielo wrote:
TheRealThing wrote:

Dave Hunt is V.I.T.R.I.O.L., man. Just pointing it out.

Well that one went right over my head...

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:03 am 

"You make it easy."

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:32 am 

Glen Benton - The first two Deicide albums are evidence enough. Awesome lyrics and horrifying sounding vocals. I can't say he pioneered the dual vocal style but it sounds so crazy on those albums. His stuff with Vital Remains was great too.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:15 am 

Frank Mullen, Pest, and Attilah Csihar.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Marmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:19 am 

David Vincent - The sound he creates on Blessed are the Sick is pure Blasphemy.

Bo Summer - Illdisposed and Guest Vocals on Panzerchrist. This dude has so many frequencies. For me one of the best.

Joe Ptacek (R.I.P.) Broken Hope. Guttural and Screams like no one ever will again..

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:09 am 

Seconding Atilla, I haven't heard much of his stuff (a shame I plan to rectify) but his voice has always been wonderfully executed and unique.

ChaosGod
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:10 am 

ok it might sound wrong and I wouldN'T have said the same at all if we are talking about guitars or drums but seriously check one or two of KAOTEON tracks (in my signature or others) - I believe the vocalist is a rare vocal powerhouse!

Let me know what you think.
http://www.facebook.com/KAOTEON

pastafarian
Liberalestest Hitler Jugend

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:24 am 

maniacs vocals on wolfs lair abyss. One of my favorite performances of all time.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:46 am 

Peter Tägtgren has to be my all time favourite! he's so diverse! real deep lows and his high screech's are amazing! im a huge Hypocrisy fanboy though so it wasn't a hard choice for me! I have to say though that OPs picks are all gems!

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:49 am 

Alright fuckin I will be the one to say Dagon from Inquisiton. Some say he's Kermit the frog, others say he's channeling Satan...and of course, you can't mention Dagon without mentioning Abbath as being one of the most unique and greatest vocalists in extreme metal.

Last edited by Dooders on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:49 am 

Barney Greenway of Napalm Death, greatest extreme metal vocal ever!

quickbeam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:18 am 

Has to be Nocturno Culto for me. Darkthrone are probably still my favourite band, all things considered. On the more recent stuff he sounds like a grumpy old man, but the effect is still enjoyable! Going back to 'Sardonic Wrath' and 'The Cult is Alive', he has this really ugly voice perfectly suited to the dirty, rockin' sort of black metal Darkthrone were doing then. On the mid-period albums - 'Hate Them', is a good example - he just sounds so fucking spiteful and filled with contempt.

Of course he did the death metal stuff on the first album, and the black metal standards on 'UaFM' and 'TH'. My favourite of his performances is pretty much the entirety of 'Kathaarian Life Code' on 'ABitNS'. Just electrifying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xspdW6GTZo

Hail Nocturno Culto!

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:04 am 

for me The Curator is up there(portal) just because he sounds unique and that is very hard in metal

also Rowan London just because of how deep and powerful his vocals are

Last edited by SatanicPotato on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:46 am 

- Barney Greenway: The way this man can keep going after all these years and so many gigs is astounding. He has seemingly lost very little power since the early days although his voice is less deep and more abrasive now than it was on 'Harmony Corruption', and I just wish they would let up on the distortion in the studio and leave his voice more natural (as it is live, for instance). Crowning achievement? This is fucking ND we're talking about here, nearly every album is one!

- Mortuus: Agree with OP, although I have to specify that his crowning achievement for me is 'Plague angel', the album that introduced me to black metal and still my favourite. Absolutely brutal and addictive.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:49 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
As for your picks, Legion is pretty one dimensional, and the passages where he doesn't shut up are the worst things about those albums you mentioned

I only get that from 'Darkness it shall be', that song does my head in although it is incredibly impressive that they used to do that one live, a testament to Legion's ability I think.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:30 am 

I'm seconding (...well at this point, probably fifthing??) Arioch/Mortuus. Dude was a MASSIVE influence on my own vocal style, and absolutely destroys on both Funeral Mist LPs and during the slower songs on Rom 5:12 - dude has throws gravel from his throat live too. One of the more entertaining live vocalists.

JR Hayes - he could've only been featured on Terrifyer and he would win a spot. seriously.

Lord Worm needs no justification.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║