Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:09 am 

He's talking about the actual modification history page, not the artist page. Look at the timestamped row.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:27 pm 

It's actually possible to set artist's country of origin to international. I don't think it's an applicable option, afaik even if someone's born on a ship or an airplane over international waters, something like the parents' nationality or the craft's origin determines the child's nationality.

And yes, I saw it in a draft.

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:18 pm 

Here's an idea, might've been said before but here goes. A band bookmark/shortlist feature that allows us to select bands (so we can check them out later) and get notified when they're page is updated.
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:25 pm 

^ There actually is a bookmarking feature. It doesn't do the notifying though, but you can manually check it periodically and order the list by the last modified item. So with a couple of clicks you can see what's been updated and when.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:26 pm 

Obscurum wrote:
Bug (?) report for artist pages: When a link is changed into the "unlisted bands" category (from "official", in this case), the "new value" remains blank, rather than saying "unlisted bands", like any other link type would:
2013-05-31 22:14:43

A similar thing here: switching an artist from band members to session. (Although, this occurrence was from almost a year ago, but I think I've seen it with other, newer updates, as well ...)

2012-07-05 17:47:43

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:22 am 

In regards to Similar Artists, there's a minor inconsistency: when you're on the "Similar Artists" tab (i.e. still connected to the main band page, just clicking on the tab), you can upvote and downvote suggestions without confirmation from the website. However, on the actual "edit" page for the Similar Artists (the one which displays all artists with >0 net total votes), a pop-up asking if you want to confirm your vote appears.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:44 pm 

I'm going through the list of bands/albums without lineups and writing who I can about their info, getting mixed responses. If the members officially want to remain anonymous (as AIN told me), will they remain in that pending list forever, or would you consider adding "Officially Chooses to Remain Anonymous" (or some such wording) as an option in the profile? It would shorten the list and since it's an official statement, the matter would be closed.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:03 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ov ... ent/379716

The band lineup is screwy. Members from the same unlisted band and being separated in the lineup tab.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:35 pm 

On both of these albums, after originally being created, additional tracks were added later on and they're not being shown on the modification history page:
http://www.metal-archives.com/history/v ... /id/357592
http://www.metal-archives.com/history/v ... /id/378985

On the first one, I added four tracks, and on the second one either RazorDick or Azmodes added five tracks.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:51 am 

Would it be unreasonable to add a field for an "email contact" to band profiles, perhaps in the links tab? I'm noticing more and more that a large number of smaller bands have them just stuck somewhere in the additional notes field of their pages, instead of a uniform place for them.

BastardHead wrote:

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:21 pm 

(Does anyone ever respond in this thread?)

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ha ... fpig/75338

So a user deleted the line up info for an unlisted band on this split (which was pretty fucking stupid to begin with), and they were deleted for being empty pages. However, even though the pages were deleted, the line up on the album page still link out to them.

Line Up

Artist page

Same thing happens with all other artists under the Caninus line up.

BastardHead wrote:

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:16 pm 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
(Does anyone ever respond in this thread?)

Well, only the two owners (and Derigin on the forum (?)) are able to deal with bugs and other issues. I'm sure they see every post made here and will take care of them whenever they get around to it, regardless of whether they give any feedback.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:54 pm 

Yeah, basically I can't do anything about bugs or the site software unless I can simply identify it as a non-issue. I'm not sure exactly what access admins have to handle these things, but Morrigan and HellBlazer are the only ones who handle the site's code, Derigin has access to forum things and knows how they work. Evenfiel once worked with bugs too, but he is no longer active. This is one of the few things where most of the staff can't really help, you'll just need to wait for the webmasters to have some time to handle it.

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:44 am 

There's a magic button available to moderators too which can make these disappear. ;) These kinds of lineup issues tend to be related to cache, and mods can refresh that. If that doesn't help though, webmaster magic is probably needed.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:25 am 

That has taken care of it on my end (although I'm still not entirely sure why the lineup was deleted to begin with).

BastardHead wrote:

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:04 pm 

Have you guys considered letting veterans/trusted users/whoever have the ability to *delete* (i.e. not replace, but remove entirely) band logos/photos? I've had a couple of cases where that would've been handy for me (particularly for a case in my band drafts right now where I wanted to remove a picture of myself for one of my own projects), but it's irritating that I basically can't do that without actually finding some other picture to replace it.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:29 am 

I'd be fine with allowing that for Metal Knights at least.

EDIT: Actually... I think that's already the case?

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:51 am 

As a knight, I can delete album artwork. I cannot delete images associated with the band pages themselves.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:10 am 

Mhmmmm, well, as I said, I'd be fine with that (for Knights only). It's up to management.

0th
Suicidal Angel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:12 pm 

Suggestion: Please add a blank for typing page number where there are too many pages, like bands by alphabetical, labels by country, user rankings, etc., so that we can go to some page or middle of the pages more easily and conveniently by just typing the page number, rather than go through the pages one by one. Just like the forum's "Go to page".

Last edited by 0th on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
0th
Suicidal Angel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:47 pm 

BTW: When I browse labels randomly, I notice there are a large number of orphan labels! They are "hidden well" and hard to find out. Can the site "auto-remove" them or list them for moderators to remove?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:52 am 

BlackenedZeroth wrote:
BTW: When I browse labels randomly, I notice there are a large number of orphan labels! They are "hidden well" and hard to find out. Can the site "auto-remove" them or list them for moderators to remove?

We do have a tool to purge orphan artists/labels older than two weeks, purges are run periodically. Most of the artists/labels that appear to be orphans are actually linked to users drafts that haven't been submitted though, you can see that in the edit histories but it won't show up on the page itself, even for mods.

edit: Looks like they haven't been run in a while, it took over three minutes to purge orphan artists older than two weeks (no count because I closed it thinking it was not working), and 200 orphan labels were purged in a matter of seconds.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:10 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/66 ... ibes/88624
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ov ... ent/379716

I see this bug happening fairly often. When you have a split with

- At least one band listed on the Archives
- Two or more unlisted bands
- Filled in lineups for at least the three bands that meet the above criteria

You have a fairly good chance that the site will group them in odd ways, as the links above show. The MA band's lineup is almost always fine; it's mostly the unlisted bands whose lineups do not group with each other.

BastardHead wrote:

Nhb55840
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:30 pm 

I'm not sure if this has been addressed, but there should be an option to add more than one label to a band/album. For example, Dark Sermon is signed to both Good Fight Music and E1 Entertainment, their album was released by both as well. Also, the band Dull Eye's War Anthem was released by both Powertrip Records and Headless Guru Records.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:33 pm 

It's a requested feature.

Nhb55840
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:30 pm 

Also, another thing that isn't right is organizing the status' of your bands. If you click the arrow that separates them, they're separated by the actual status of the band (Active, Split-up, On Hold, etc...), not if they're approved, rejected, etc... Is that the intent of the status column under "my bands" or is that a bug?

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:52 pm 

Can you guys add an automatic line-break script to users' review pages the same way it's on the main page right now to accommodate Paracoccidioidomicosisproctitissarcomucosis? I'd rather not have the band name field on my list of reviews horribly distended just because I chose to review one of their albums. :(

SwarteHeap
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:04 pm 

http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/function.mb-substr.php

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:40 am 

I would like to suggest that there be a way to list tracklist in a vinyl or cassette form. A1, A2, B1, B2, etc.

EDIT: Actually, this would be a good feature not just for those trve kvlt types that release all their stuff on one-sided tapes, but, it would make a good addition for the often-recommended/already considered function of being able to add multiple versions of a release (re-issues, special editions, foreign editions). Many artists, especially the old timers like Sabbath, or Def Leppard, have their older releases on multiple formats, i.e. vinyl, tape, 8-trak, CD and digital. A format change like this would be a nice touch to compliment that.

BastardHead wrote:

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:28 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/labels/%E ... ions/27540

The first character in the label's name does not display correctly on the site, although it does appear correctly in the url for some reason. I tried adding the html entity in the name bar to see if it would appear, but it did not work. Not really sure what else can be done if it's outside the character sets allowed on the site.

BastardHead wrote:

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:36 pm 

^ That's not the HTML entity, that's the URL encoding version. Also, seems to work fine for me... What does it look like for you?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:16 pm 

Maybe you miss some Unicode fonts to "decrypt" the proper character?! That happened to me on this album (jump to the additional notes).

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:35 pm 

I see this:

Works in the url bar, and the tab at the top of the page, but not on the page itself.

In addition, the page linked androdion has three foreign scripts; the first and third display fine, while the second appears as squares much like the label name I linked

BastardHead wrote:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:04 pm 

That's what happened to me. You need to install some Unicode fonts on your PC for your browser to recognize the characters and present them as it should. Don't ask me which are needed though, it was a long time ago! :p

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:53 pm 

I see this:

Works in the url bar, and the tab at the top of the page, but not on the page itself.

In addition, the page linked androdion has three foreign scripts; the first and third display fine, while the second appears as squares much like the label name I linked

Works perfectly on my Firefox, but on Chromium I see a box on page, but there's no extra space in address bar.

So, fix your fonts! Of the album androdion linked, tracks 3 and 7 work for me, but 5 doesn't, so I guess I'd need to fix something too.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:16 pm 

RonimuZ wrote:
Works perfectly on my Firefox, but on Chromium I see a box on page, but there's no extra space in address bar.

So, fix your fonts! Of the album androdion linked, tracks 3 and 7 work for me, but 5 doesn't, so I guess I'd need to fix something too.

Well how do I do that?

BastardHead wrote:

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:33 pm 

RonimuZ wrote:

Well how do I do that?

See Alhadis's comments on this report: http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/370290

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:44 am 

Thanks

BastardHead wrote:

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:50 am 

Has the option to select what formats a release is available on been considered before? Perhaps a set of checkboxes or something on main edit form that lists formats that users can be selecte. Vinyl, cassette, CD, digital, VHS, DVD, Blu-ray, HD DVD. I'm sure there are a few fringe formats out there, but I think that list covers 99.999% of the releases on our site.

BastardHead wrote:

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:00 pm 

Has the option to select what formats a release is available on been considered before? Perhaps a set of checkboxes or something on main edit form that lists formats that users can be selecte. Vinyl, cassette, CD, digital, VHS, DVD, Blu-ray, HD DVD. I'm sure there are a few fringe formats out there, but I think that list covers 99.999% of the releases on our site.

The capability to add multiple versions of an album - sort of like the setup Discogs has - is something that is on the to-do list. A feature that covers that capability be added at some point. Until then, details of what formats something was released on can be added to the additional notes.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 65  Next