Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:09 pm 

Queensryche - Fallout

Again I say, this album is fucking great. I can't wait to see where they go from here. I wouldn't mind them trying their hand at another epic song like 'Roads to Madness'. I'm willing to bet they could pull it off.

det fael utyske
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:21 pm 

Kampfar - Lyktemenn
Haven't listened to the "Kvass" for ages.. but it fits perfectly to this night...

Last edited by det fael utyske on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:28 pm 

Slaughter Lord - Slaughter Lord

Reminds me of Kreator's Pleasure to Kill at times....just quite better. :D

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:27 pm 

Hanker - Gardeners of Pain

Kick ass, raw trad metal with attitude.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:35 pm 

Ungod/Baxaxaxa - Split

This is some great, raw Black Metal. Baxaxaxa were pretty early in their use of keyboards in Black Metal but sadly they never got much credit for that. Ungod's side is pure, no BS 2nd wave Black Metal. They vocals are a bit weak, but the raw energy of the music makes up for it.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:38 pm 

Rotting Christ ~ Thy Mighty Contract

Those riffs, that atmosphere, shit I'm loving this album. Something tells me I need to get more into Greek Black Metal.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:15 pm 

HellishHound wrote:

Those riffs, that atmosphere, shit I'm loving this album. Something tells me I need to get more into Greek Black Metal.

With the exception of the new one, every RC album rules (even Khronos!). I only say that because I haven't listened to the new one yet.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:18 pm 

TheRealThing wrote:
HellishHound wrote:

With the exception of the new one, every RC album rules (even Khronos!). I only say that because I haven't listened to the new one yet.

I'm definitely going to check those out soon. I'm currently on "Dive the Deepest Abyss" and man, this record is just amazing. The atmosphere, the odd but awesome riffs, the use of keys. Between this and Thorns yesterday, I've been finding amazing black metal records left and right bro.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:22 pm 

M.S.W. - Clouds

Piano/string music from the man behind blackened doom band Hell. This stuff is bringing tears to my eyes, incredibly beautiful, and very sad.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:31 pm 

BreedingtheSpawn wrote:
Origin- Entity

All of the Origin albums to me have this space type atmosphere to them, even the lyrics give off that feeling as well with some Sci-Fi thrown in. Entity is a pretty solid album, short and to the point.

I found this one to be a step down from Antithesis - an album with 10 awesome tracks. Some of the tracks on Entity end too abruptly, and would've been better had they been expanded and fleshed out a little more. However, it's still enjoyable, and "Expulsion of Fury" and "Saligia" are two awesome songs.

DannySatan wrote:
Anaal Nathrakh - The Codex Necro

Jesus Fuck I forgot how fucking huge and evil this album is, love it :D

Damn right. It's an angry piece of music.

TheRealThing wrote:
HellishHound wrote:

Get on the new one! I love it, and I'm sure I can speak for many others who feel the same. Rotting Christ haven't done wrong. And what's wrong with Khronos again? ;)

Skepticism - Farmakon

My first listen to this after buying it yesterday. I don't mind this at all. Funny thing is that I find Stormcrowfleet to be a little underwhelming, even though it's a classic, but I like what they've done after that. This is likely not going to reach the heights I found Alloy to have, but it's still a very nice funeral doom album with some subtle and not-so-subtle synths and steady drumming.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:59 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

In Our World is such a great album!

My music teacher in 5th or 6th grade knew the band and even helped them with some of the arrangements. And one day she invited Pascal Cliche (vox/guitars) and Patrick Gravel (guitars) for one of her classes. Very cool dudes and they performed Staring At the Rain for us. I got a In Our World signed poster because I answered correctly a question about the album. (Got it from Christmas some months before)

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:21 am 

Wędrujący Wiatr - Tam, Gdzie Miesiąc Opłakuje Świt

It's like the musical equivalent of finding immense beauty in deep, deep depression.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:56 am 

Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

In Our World is such a great album!

My music teacher in 5th or 6th grade knew the band and even helped them with some of the arrangements. And one day she invited Pascal Cliche (vox/guitars) and Patrick Gravel (guitars) for one of her classes. Very cool dudes and they performed Staring At the Rain for us. I got a In Our World signed poster because I answered correctly a question about the album. (Got it from Christmas some months before)

That's badass. Their second album The Dead Ringer is still one of my all time favs, but In Our World is cool too...it feels so much rawer and more loose; which is nice. It has a very unique, DIY quality to it. It's a shame they broke up, their last album was amazing.

White Wizzard - Strike the Iron

This is pretty good musically, but holy SHIT is the singer awesome. I don't even care if the songs suck, his voice would make it worth hearing. Apparently he's Dio's cousin...makes sense I guess...

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:10 am 

Gorguts - Odors Of Existence

Not being blowm away by the second album, but it is enjoyable.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:27 am 

Veracs wrote:
Kaamos-Gnosticon

Wow I am a fucking idiot for just labeling these guys a generic Swedish dm band. Lots of tempo changes and great riffs.

Agreed on both counts :grin:

Fuckin' great death metal band.

Enslaved - New Dawn

I dunno, not sure whether I truly like this. It's certainly good, but is it completely blowing me away? Not so sure...

My collection

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:25 am 

NP: Desecresy - The Doom Skeptron

More-than-decent new Finndeath. I prefer this marginally over their other album

Queued:

Cannibal Corpse - Eaten Back To Life

I'm quite tolerant in that I find CC great up to and including The Bleeding, but I don't think there's much difference in quality between their excellent albums (this being one of them).

Immolation - Providence EP

As it came out towards the end of the year I didn't give this much attention at the time. Fool me.

Spazz - Crush Kill Destroy

Classic PV stuff, an essential of the genre.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:44 pm 

Ixion - Fade to Blue

Space doom; only really beaten by Darkspace for sheer cosmic atmosphere, in my eyes. Very overtly synth-laden, but equally tastefully done.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:43 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Enslaved - New Dawn
I dunno, not sure whether I truly like this. It's certainly good, but is it completely blowing me away? Not so sure...

Let's face it! Only the VIKING Enslaved is MEMORABLE!

If Only from (1998) Queens Of The Stone Age - Queens Of The Stone Age.
What a WONDERFUL album!

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:17 pm 

Mourning Lenore – Everlasting

Best doom/death metal album ever. I've been obsessing over this album for some days now

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:22 pm 

Little Sister from (2005) Queens Of The Stone Age - Lullabies To Paralyze.
This album grew on me despite not liking it so much at first.
Will the same happen with (2007) Queens of the Stone Age - Era Vulgaris and (2013) Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork?

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:26 pm 

Slayer - Hardening of the Arteries

First time listening to Hell Awaits all the way through, believe it or not. It's certainly a completely different creature to Show no Mercy!

Tired
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:40 pm 

Necromantia - Scarlet Evil, Witching Black (w. ugly tits cover)

Sucah a brilliant and original sound. I'm always impressed by this. I should probably get something else from them too, although the other stuff is never ranked as high...

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:46 pm 

Virgin Steele - Kingdom of the Fearless (The Destruction of Troy), off The House of Atreus: Act I

I could say that this is amazing, but that would be stating the obvious.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:02 pm 

Tenhi - Soutu

Beautiful finnish music (not metal). Very dark and ominous, I love it.

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:08 pm 

"GZR, Dying Fetus, Heaven and Hell, Amaranthe, Unsun, Battle Beast...?"

^My boyfriend asking my 5-year-old daughter what she wants to listen to while they paint with watercolors XD

She picked Unsun so we are listening to Unsun now :P

Celtic Frosted Flakes wrote:
Tenhi - Soutu

Beautiful finnish music (not metal). Very dark and ominous, I love it.

Hm, might have to check that out.

Vintersorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:18 pm 

Nokturnal Mortum - Valkyrie.

What. A. Song.

The second half sends shivers down my spine everytime I listen to it.

I never cared much for their previous releases, but Voice of Steel is just plain beautiful.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:35 pm 

Amorphis - Shades Of Gray

Giving this one another go. It didn't impress me initially and I found it to be uninspired for the most part, but it's Amorphis, I have to give in another go to be sure.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:43 pm 

Rick Astley - Don't Say Goodbye

I have to say that I really enjoy this!
Seriously.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:29 pm 

QOTSA - Like Clockwork

This album is spectacular, and it sounds so rich and warm. The guitars and bass are thick and well defined, and the drums are dry and tight, as is the QOTSA tradition. They used three drummers (Dave Grohl, Jon Theodore, and Joey Castillo), but there isn't a huge difference between the actually execution of each guy. They are all tight, methodical drummers who actually tune their drums fairly similarly. The album itself shows some pretty decent experimentation for a QOTSA album. Overall, I'd have to say that this is their most "mature" release to date; however, I still enjoy Songs for the Deaf more than this one. Even though Oliveri is featured on this new one, it was his aggressive bass playing and maniacal vocals that really sent Songs for the Deaf over the edge for me.

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:32 pm 

Revisiting some old comp CDs from Terrorizer, to see if I missed anything cool back in the day... but...

NP: Heavenly - Spill Blood on Fire

I really do not understand why Hell's_Unicorn and Empyreal like this. One of the worst songs I've ever heard within the realm of metal.

Edit: And oh god, it's followed by:

Masterplan - Keeps Me Burning

This is almost as bad and AGAIN they both love it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:36 pm 

Both good tunes. Not sure how much you've heard if those are some of the WORST things you've heard in the genre...even if you don't like them as much, they're pretty average-ly done melodic metal songs with solid production, vocals, etc. Since you didn't elaborate on anything I just don't know what to tell you there.

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:44 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Both good tunes. Not sure how much you've heard if those are some of the WORST things you've heard in the genre...even if you don't like them as much, they're pretty average-ly done melodic metal songs with solid production, vocals, etc. Since you didn't elaborate on anything I just don't know what to tell you there.

The Heavenly track sounded like something which would fit better in an 80s run of Top of the Pops than anything metal related, and the production was SO THIN. It was catchy, but irritatingly so in the same way that a Katy Perry song would be. And to top it all off - and I don't normally listen to lyrics, but these stuck out - the lyrics were absolutely appalling, and something in a foreign language or just gibberish would've been preferable because at least then I wouldn't have had to listen to the singer spewing that banal drivel.

As for the Masterplan track, it was just incredibly generic and slightly overproduced Europower. I didn't hate it, and would take it over about 50% of all music, but it was far from good.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:46 pm 

Black Sabbath ~ Vol. 4

I recently read Tony Iommi's autobiography "Iron Man - My Journey through Heaven & Hell with Black Sabbath) and holy shit what a great fucking read that was. It was awesome getting to read the riff master himself life from his own mouth (well words). Really could not put it down such a page turner. I know it seems cliche what with doom and all, but the Ozzy Era albums, especially the first 4, are a huge influence in my life, they effected me momentously and remain some of my favorite albums. Plus, in my stoney euphoria, it just seemed right.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:32 pm 

Jesu - Conqueror

Haven't listened to this beast in a while. I really need to finally buy a copy of this album. It's hitting me like the first time. Love every song.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:03 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
Jesu - Conqueror

Haven't listened to this beast in a while. I really need to finally buy a copy of this album. It's hitting me like the first time. Love every song.

That's my favorite Jesu album! It's so pretty and uplifting. Old Year and Mother Earth are the best tracks on there.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:43 pm 

Gorguts - The Erosion of Sanity

I usually would listen to Considered Dead when wanting to hear Gorguts' earlier stuff, but this is still really nice. I do prefer what they've become now, though, but it's nice to hear how they originally were from time to time. :) And that's some pretty nifty death metal.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:44 am 

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

The Heavenly track sounded like something which would fit better in an 80s run of Top of the Pops than anything metal related, and the production was SO THIN. It was catchy, but irritatingly so in the same way that a Katy Perry song would be. And to top it all off - and I don't normally listen to lyrics, but these stuck out - the lyrics were absolutely appalling, and something in a foreign language or just gibberish would've been preferable because at least then I wouldn't have had to listen to the singer spewing that banal drivel.

As for the Masterplan track, it was just incredibly generic and slightly overproduced Europower. I didn't hate it, and would take it over about 50% of all music, but it was far from good.

If you were expecting them to sound like something other than Europower, which often flirts with poppy melodies, well I guess I see how you'd not like them, but they're still good songs anyway.

Was listening to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath in the car. Classic.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:58 am 

Absu - Abzu

My favourite Absu album, relentless Black/Thrash with some very well done progressive segments

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:06 am 

Blind Guardian - A Dark Passage

Far too long I have dismissed this band as cheesy pop metal. Only after reading Tolkien I became curious. I Don't regret it.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Last edited by inhumanist on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:26 am 

Abominant - Unspeakable Horrors.

This cd i bought back in 1996, and then i wasn't that impressed at all with it. Today i gave it a new spin. And on some strange way this cd got me. Playing it for the 3rd time now. Some great stuff.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1309, 1310, 1311, 1312, 1313, 1314, 1315 ... 2923  Next