Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:26 pm 

Rumor has it they may be working on an unannounced sequel to Arkham City, but the project is tightly under wraps. Batman voice actor (Kevin Conroy, I think) made some odd claims on a now deleted tweet which seems to reinforce this. Fairly plausible, you have to strike the iron while it's hot.

Glad to have you back then, Xlxlx.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:33 pm 

Been playing the Last of Us and Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires on PS3, and Muramasa Rebirth on Vita lately, which have all been pretty fun. It's been a while since I played Muramasa, and the Vita port is astonishing. I happened to order Princess Crown on the Saturn around the same time, which just came in today, so I'm looking forward to tackling that maybe later this week.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:08 am 

Nochielo wrote:
Oh, yeah, great games for sure. I preferred Asylum over City, the Metroidvania styled exploration felt a lot better than an open world, at least to me. I mean, there aren't significant changes anywhere else. For whatever reason, I didn't think you were much of a gamer, man.

Arkham City didn't need to be open world at all.

It felt so out of place. A whole section of a city devoted to criminals. That part of the story felt silly. Like the story was based around trying to make the game open world.

But the rest of the story and spoiler ending was great.

It's a close call for me with Asylum probably barely nudging past Arkham City, but I liked how many villains and how much Batman stuff they tried to cram into the latter. It felt more like a Batman game.

But at least Arkham City wasn't boring open world. You can glide and grapple and really move around fast so there's no boring walking forever in other open world games.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:32 am 

Actually, I think that the way you move through the environment is a huge factor when it comes to the entertainment value of an open world game. There are worlds of difference between, say, an Assassin's Creed and a bloody Grand Theft Auto.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:45 am 

gamblor wrote:
A few friends of mine goaded me into playing Castlevania: SoTN awhile back... it changed my life. I grew up on Super Metroid, so the play style was definitely A++++++++.

2 of the best damn games ever made right there :thumbsup:

Xlxlx wrote:
Actually, I think that the way you move through the environment is a huge factor when it comes to the entertainment value of an open world game. There are worlds of difference between, say, an Assassin's Creed and a bloody Grand Theft Auto.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas were horrible as far as just WALKING everywhere. I loved the games, but would never want to play them again due to the fact that there's no fucking horse, dune buggy, bicycle, anything to actually move faster before you can fast travel.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:21 pm 

So, I got a 3DS and Fire Emblem: Awakening using some birthday money. Beat it on the easiest difficulty yesterday, now I'm trying it on the next hardest. Good thing I left casual mode on because I'm getting my ass kicked.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:30 pm 

Finished The Last of Us andit was a bloody masterpiece. It far surpassed my already lofty expectations. It just builds and builds and becomes better and better. I think anybody who likes a brilliant story and incredibly well written and engaging characters needs to play it as soon as they possibly can. The only thing that kind of bums me out is that in new game +, you get to keep all of your upgrades on the guns, but you still only get them where you usually find them. So you still only get the pure awesomeness that is the flamethrower towards the end.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:13 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Finished The Last of Us andit was a bloody masterpiece. It far surpassed my already lofty expectations. It just builds and builds and becomes better and better. I think anybody who likes a brilliant story and incredibly well written and engaging characters needs to play it as soon as they possibly can. The only thing that kind of bums me out is that in new game +, you get to keep all of your upgrades on the guns, but you still only get them where you usually find them. So you still only get the pure awesomeness that is the flamethrower towards the end.

I started out playing that game hesitantly, but after playing it all the way through (and it's a good 14 hours of gameplay, so it takes a while to beat) it's way better than I originally thought it would be and is definitely way more than just a "grittier Uncharted" and is one of the few games I've played that I wasn't able to guess what plot twist was gonna happen next. Only thing I kinda had a problem with was how linear the game was overall.

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:44 pm 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

I started out playing that game hesitantly, but after playing it all the way through (and it's a good 14 hours of gameplay, so it takes a while to beat) it's way better than I originally thought it would be and is definitely way more than just a "grittier Uncharted" and is one of the few games I've played that I wasn't able to guess what plot twist was gonna happen next. Only thing I kinda had a problem with was how linear the game was overall.

Sort of felt the same. I started off in the mindset of "Ugh, I'm so tired of zombie crap", but as the game went on, I realized it was perhaps one of the better ways I've seen this sort of premise handled.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:01 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
Fallout 3 and New Vegas were horrible as far as just WALKING everywhere. I loved the games, but would never want to play them again due to the fact that there's no fucking horse, dune buggy, bicycle, anything to actually move faster before you can fast travel.

I liked walking around in Fallout. I could replay it at anytime I feel like. It's one of those games that are so good you can play it at anytime. For me at least.

You don't have access to any transportation cause it's post apocalyptic. So that would destroy the mood. The world is empty but with scattered threats or remnants of life going on. If it were streamlined to Metroidvania I think that would completely destroy the apocalyptic feel.

You're supposed to wander around for awhile and wonder if this next area is some kind of oasis with friendly inhabitants to offer sidequests or if it's a danger and you better be stocked up and ready.

Some games like Mario should never ever be open world. Some games like Fallout have to absolutely be open world.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:28 am 

Sick6Six wrote:

That's more or less the point of open world games. It defeats the purpose if you're not going to walk around and see it.

Kahalachan wrote:
Some games like Mario should never ever be open world. Some games like Fallout have to absolutely be open world.

That's exactly right. I love my open world games, but we sure as fuck don't need it everywhere. It's troubling that some franchises are going out of their way to make an open world for no good reason.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:20 am 

The problem I had with walking in Fallout 3/New Vegas that I did not have with walking in STALKER or Morrowind or Skyrim was that the landscapes were largely boring and there wasn't that much interesting stuff to find. OK, yes, it's post-apocalyptic in the US so you're not going to see as much beautiful scenery or ancient ruins or castles or whatever, but each STALKER game managed to have tons of interesting stuff to find and see. Exploring in Fallout 3 and New Vegas just got very old, and I have no urge to replay those games.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:31 am 

Well, my best friend and I just beat Ratchet: Deadlocked with 100% in one sitting on Exterminator difficulty in about 7.5 hours. Are there any gaming achievements that you guys are particularly proud of?

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:36 am 

7 brutal enemies w/super weapons in Red Alert 2 was my finest hour I think. Also, beating DooM in nightmare isn't that spectacular but I was kinda proud of it anyway. It's not the easiest thing to do!

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:33 pm 

I'm a shitty gamer, my only achievement is probably beating Imperishable Night on hard without using continues but every dweeb with a little experience can do this.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:55 pm 

Not so much a proud moment, but I beat FFVII with 100% completion. I guess that shows I had even less of a life than I do now. I still think it was an awesome story line though.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:36 pm 

Speaking of FF7, it's now out on Steam.... for a higher price than on PSN. And look at these dazzling "new features"!

- Achievements (of course)
- Cloud saves (hurr hurr... okay sorry I had to)
- Character Booster – "Find yourself stuck on a difficult section or lacking the funds to buy that vital Phoenix Down? With the Character Booster you can increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button, leaving you to enjoy your adventure."

...Yes, they added an insta-win button. In Final fucking Fantasy 7, the easiest game in existence. :lol: Don't you love this generation of baby gamers and their "press X to awesome" that Squenix is pandering to?

Oh, and according to NeoGAF, the in-game music is terrible compared to the PS1 version, and some are using mods to replace the music with the original PS1 files. Go figure.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:16 pm 

I recently beat FFVII again for the zillionth time because I was bored and had the house to myself for a few days. I've 100% it in the past (basically just meaning I beat all the optional side bosses), and it's one of the only games where I can say I've actually done as such (the other one off the top of my head being Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy). I don't think there are any particular moments that I like to brag about, though the most impressive I've witnessed was my brother once beating the third chapter of Devil May Cry while blindfolded.

And that Steam FFVII sounds like absolute ass, holy shit. FFXIII was the easiest RPG I've ever played, and VII wasn't particularly difficult either (that last run through, I died a whopping zero times and did specifically played through with the challenge of not grinding). The hell, Squenix?
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:34 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
- Character Booster – "Find yourself stuck on a difficult section or lacking the funds to buy that vital Phoenix Down? With the Character Booster you can increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button, leaving you to enjoy your adventure."

...Yes, they added an insta-win button. In Final fucking Fantasy 7, the easiest game in existence. :lol: Don't you love this generation of baby gamers and their "press X to awesome" that Squenix is pandering to?

Yeah seeing it on Steam was a surprise, but seeing THIS was the worst of all. It wowed me. This is the shit you download trainers or cheats for, not a "click here for win" option that's packaged with the fucking thing.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:45 pm 

Speaking of baby gamers and hand-holding with NPCs doing everything for you... This cracked me up so much. Oh, we forgot to open the door for you? No prob mates:

Dat AI :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Metalfuckingrules
The Ralph Wiggum Monologue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:50 pm 

I saw this in the comment section of an article by IGN and it just sums up the current "console war" between Sony and Microsoft.

The reason why I didn't mention Nintendo is that according to Nintendo, they don't really care about what the other companies are doing.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:54 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

What the fuck.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:10 pm 

I've been on a Dead Space 2 kick lately. This is my second play through of the entire series, although I played 2 & 3 a lot when I first got them. These games are still pretty frightening at times... and quite frustrating, on top of that. I'm playing it on the insane difficulty or whichever one is the hardest. I feel like I die every 5 minutes!

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:17 pm 

LlamaTrainer wrote:
Well, my best friend and I just beat Ratchet: Deadlocked with 100% in one sitting on Exterminator difficulty in about 7.5 hours. Are there any gaming achievements that you guys are particularly proud of?

I once managed to get a kill streak of around 60-65 at Halo combat evolved online. No shield, only snipers and handguns, 999 ammo, for everyone. I can safely say that I have never been more concentrated and on edge in my entire gaming history. I was pretty proud of myself afterwards.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:28 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

''press X to awesome'' haha. Oh gosh...

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:33 pm 

LlamaTrainer wrote:

I've got all Steam achievements for Mark Of The Ninja.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:54 pm 

My greatest achievement is that I convinced an entire server in Counter-Strike that I was hacking.

Been playing CS on and off since I was 7 years old. Same maps and all. After a while, you get a sixth sense, like you can roughly know where the enemy is going to be 20 seconds into the round or anticipate what decision they will make after they make the next decision (meta).

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:59 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
My greatest achievement is that I convinced an entire server in Counter-Strike that I was hacking.

Been playing CS on and off since I was 7 years old. Same maps and all. After a while, you get a sixth sense, like you can roughly know where the enemy is going to be 20 seconds into the round or anticipate what move they will make five steps from now.

Oh yeah, got that a few times myself while playing halo. People calling me botter and auto-aimer only to be told by a moderater that the server they are playing on automatically kicks hackers.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:50 pm 

LlamaTrainer wrote:

Off the top of my head:
-I finished Battletoads... on the original Game Boy. I don't know if the game was easier than the NES version, but that was hard as hell.
-All achievements on Bayonetta, though I don't know how hard it is considered.
-Finished Perfect Dark on Special Agent difficulty (medium) and up to the second-to-last stage on Perfect Agent (hard). If you don't think that's hard, you never played Perfect Dark.

I'm sure I've done other things that I'm proud of, though maybe not good enough for bragging rights.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:26 am 

Nochielo wrote:

-All achievements on Bayonetta, though I don't know how hard it is considered.

I have the Bayonetta platinum. It's the toughest button masher platinum. I have God of War III and that was moderately difficult. The worst part was the challenges, not the game on its highest difficulty.

Bayonetta on the highest difficulty is like being a newbie at Dark Souls or Demon's Souls. It's consistently hard the entire time. So as far as prestige it's probably about the same as the platinum in Dark Souls or Demon's Souls.

Oh as far as my most prestigious platinums, Street Fighter IV, Super Street Fighter IV, and Catherine. Tower of Babel in Catherine is insanely tough and the combo challenges in Street Fighter require some 1 frame timing button inputs.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:48 pm 

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... l-Behavior

Huh, what a relief. I really was afraid my gaming would eventually turn me into a sociapath.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:47 pm 

I have no idea what my "greatest gaming achievement" would be.... if I ever beat Dark Souls at level 1 (I'm only at Anor Londo yet), would that count?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:54 pm 

Yes.

I think mine would definitely be beating Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 on Master Ninja. That shit was punishing and took me weeks but holy hell was it satisfying.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:02 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
So, I got a 3DS and Fire Emblem: Awakening using some birthday money. Beat it on the easiest difficulty yesterday, now I'm trying it on the next hardest. Good thing I left casual mode on because I'm getting my ass kicked.

This may have jumped itself into my all time favourite list of video games. It had me enthralled for 40 odd hours, didn't even get all the kids and see all the levels. I purposefully did that so that I'd see new things on a second run through.

The OST is fucking awesome as well. I could never tire of hearing Conquest (Ablaze) or Destiny (Ablaze).

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:39 pm 

I don't really care too much about difficulty stuff, and usually play games on normal difficulty, so I don't have many/any huge achievements. A few hundred percent completions on easy games like gta's and FFs don't seem all that impressive, the most difficult I remember is unlocking all the cheats fairly in Goldeneye, but I assume many people here pulled that off. It really was one of the only completions I did that required skill more than just a huge amount of time investment.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:57 pm 

I realized yesterday while playing Dead Space 2 that I would be terrible at gauging difficulty levels if I were developing a game. I tend to suck at the most "extreme" difficulties, so I would have a hard time judging what is just plain too difficult. Like, at what point does this game become impossible for a skilled gamer to beat? I don't know, because I suck! ;)

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:01 pm 

Kahalachan wrote:
Bayonetta on the highest difficulty is like being a newbie at Dark Souls or Demon's Souls. It's consistently hard the entire time. So as far as prestige it's probably about the same as the platinum in Dark Souls or Demon's Souls.

Oh, that's cool, it's a respectable milestone at least.
Kahalachan wrote:
Oh as far as my most prestigious platinums, Street Fighter IV, Super Street Fighter IV, and Catherine. Tower of Babel in Catherine is insanely tough and the combo challenges in Street Fighter require some 1 frame timing button inputs.

Ohmygod, ohmygod, ohmygod! I WORSHIP Catherine. That's one great, great game. It's fun, surprisingly tense (especially for a puzzle game), fast, challenging and despite the very underwhelming reveal, it still holds up as one of the best stories in gaming. I wouldn't even dream of trying to finish the Tower of Babel, I value my (remaining) sanity.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:00 am 

Isn't Catherine that trippy, spooky Japanese game about men being murdered in their sleep?

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:44 am 

Just finished Bioshock Infinite . . . what a mindfuck. The last battle was pretty insane.

Spoiler: show
From what I gathered Comstock is actually you from another reality and Elizabeth is actually your daughter (good they didn't bang). Such a weird cerebral plot line throughout the whole thing.

Thought the game could have been a bit longer, though.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:38 am 

Morrigan wrote:
I have no idea what my "greatest gaming achievement" would be.... if I ever beat Dark Souls at level 1 (I'm only at Anor Londo yet), would that count?

I thought we were talking the ones the game companies say you do.

Beating Ninja Gaiden on the NES or Mike Tyson's Punch out would rank up there with my most prestigious platinums.

If you die on the final boss in Ninja Gaiden you start all over again on the final world. The hard as nails final area where everything knocks you off the ledges to your death, traps you in the corner and hits you all over till you die, and so on. Yep if you die on the final boss you have to do that all over again. Once in my life and never again. Although I cheated on my 3DS port and used save states to do it again just as a big F you to the game. :P

Beating a game used to be an achievement. Now it's mostly given you're going to beat a game.

Nochielo wrote:
Oh, that's cool, it's a respectable milestone at least.

Ohmygod, ohmygod, ohmygod! I WORSHIP Catherine. That's one great, great game. It's fun, surprisingly tense (especially for a puzzle game), fast, challenging and despite the very underwhelming reveal, it still holds up as one of the best stories in gaming. I wouldn't even dream of trying to finish the Tower of Babel, I value my (remaining) sanity.

Yeah Bayonetta's a tough platinum. So it's respectable. It's not like the Walking Dead where I got the platinum just by beating it, which is funny cause I no longer hunt for platinums.

Catherine is awesome. I gave up on the Tower of Babel but the game was so fun I wanted to play it some more and I eventually nailed it.

It's hard to describe what Catherine is. It's a puzzle game in the dream sequences and like some interactive anime when you're awake. The mood is comedy, horror, and romance. Which is a pretty cool combination. It's got just the right unique style and gameplay to make it super awesome. It's one of my fav games this generation.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 497, 498, 499, 500, 501, 502, 503 ... 940  Next