Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:39 pm 

The thing about Doctor WHo is that a classic/new dichotomy doesn't really make a lot of sense when you take into consideration how many producers, script editors and so on have been in charge of various things since the beginning. Doctor Who is not a one-man show and so it doesn't really have a clear vision of what it should be...it just tries different things, to see if they'll work. Of course a certain form was established over time, and that's why the 60s was the most experimental period of the show's history--it was all new. ON the other hand the 80s probably produced some of the worst excesses of the show's history at least up until the modern era...

But yes, you're in pretty good hands with the 1975/78 Hinchcliffe/Holmes/Tom Baker period, of which The Ark in Space is an early example. Lots of horror thematics happening there. Check out Pyramids of Mars...
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:07 pm 

I think the last 2 series before they stopped was one of the glory-days eras as well - Curse of Fenric, Ghostlight, survival, silver nemesis, rememberance of the Daleks etc etc.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:00 pm 

I used to love Stargate back in the day. It was a nice mix of Trekky away team nonsense and gun shootery. It wasn't the same when O' Neil left the team, and eventually the series.

Remember when Sliders introduced the Kromaggs?

...yeah.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:49 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Remember when Sliders introduced the Kromaggs?

That was one of the show's very infrequent "so bad it's good" episodes. Professor Arturo's rant against "the mendicant french waiter" is fucking legendary.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:09 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:
I think the last 2 series before they stopped was one of the glory-days eras as well - Curse of Fenric, Ghostlight, survival, silver nemesis, rememberance of the Daleks etc etc.

Definitely; the last season in particular was consistently great...what a time to end it! The books continued the legacy into the 90s though, and some of them were terrific and got away with all sorts of thigns you'd never seen on screen.

Haha, Sliders...I remember that one, but I never did tune in consistently as one or two of the characters always irritated me. What's this rant/episode of which you speak?

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:24 am 

drterror666 wrote:
I have always been a Doctor Who fan, but the revamped series is pretty crap! I used to love Star Trek and all its offshoots; I actually thought Star Trek: Enterprise was a great series, taking the formula back to the Original Series formula. But, if I have to have real favourites, they would be Babylon 5 and Space: 1999.

I absolutely disagree with you about Doctor Who. I've seen all of the doctors, and they all have their merits. But honestly, David Tennant takes the cake, for me. The man is an incredible actor, and his performance is very powerful. He's got that natural quirky feeling that lightens the mood, but when thing's get dark, he pulls out all the stops.
Spoiler: show
I'm not a crier, but when the Master dies after being shot? Jesus, what a fucking genius scene. Or when his "daughter" is shot.
The man is just incredible. As for my favourite Sci-Fi shows, I'd have to say Torchwood (duh), Eureka, and Battlestar Gallactica.

Torchwood is like the much darker, grittier version of Doctor Who. Complete with lots of cussing, sex, and all that good stuff. John Barrowman is an excellent lead. I mean, they really couldn't have chosen anyone better for the role he plays.

I really should mention "Alphas", too. It's a Canadian production and airs on the Space Channel. It's deep, and intelligent, and lends a slightly new edge to the whole "superpowers" thing.

Also, I'll second, or third, or whatever Firefly, really great show. I guess I could also go for Warehouse 13. Actually, there are a shitload of very cool shows on the Canadian Showcase. I'll also second Orphan Black, very, very cool show.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Last edited by Metantoine on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoilers, fuck.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:14 am 

Thanks for the Torchwood suggestion. Just saw the first episode on Tubeplus and it's just the right combination of investigative/sci-fi type of show to pique my interest. Can't say the same for Orphan Black. I'm in episode 4 and am still wondering where all the sci-tech's at. So far I'm not impressed with the cast nor the premise but I won't give up on it just yet. I hope it develops into something more exciting than good vs bad clones. I'm also four episodes deep in Firefly and just find it dry and kinda dragging. I thought the prospect of seeing the East meets West paradigm would have held my interest but it's almost non-apparent. I expected something more straight out of Blade Runner but then that would have been a ripoff. Still, these shows are better than watching Lost Girl, Supernatural, WH13, and Dollhouse. Acutually, I only managed to hold down half of Dollhouse Episode 1 before turning it off.

hmm, I wouldn't mind a Blade Runner TV series.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:57 am 

Farscape for sure! Despite it flaws and sometimes annoying plot changes it is my favorite by far, because of the characters and design.

The Next Generation of course, Voyager, and thank you all for reminding be about Sliders!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:18 pm 

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was the last fiction I read. I'd rather have a show based on it than Blade Runner :P
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:14 am 

I honestly much prefer the final cut of Blade Runner to the original book. P.K. Dick sure has a vivid imagination but I don't think his actual writing ability lives up to his lofty ideas.

But actually, there sort of *is* a Blade Runner TV show (although, bizarrely, it's named after a 90's remake of a completely different P.K. Dick property...)

Total Recall 2070

Sadly, it isn't very good.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:27 am 

Hardly relevant - I recently discovered Alexander Siddig (Bashir from DS9) is related on his mother's side to Malcom McDowell.
I've been watching DS9 and staring into his eyes in the hopes that I see something terrifying and evil there.
Nothing so far.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:08 am 

darkeningday wrote:
I honestly much prefer the final cut of Blade Runner to the original book. P.K. Dick sure has a vivid imagination but I don't think his actual writing ability lives up to his lofty ideas.

Yes, to an extent I agree with this; there are better actual stylists in the genre, but Dick's ideas are often really, really good. Still, i have had trouble finishign a few of his books. Androids though was not one; I really do prefer the book to the film because of the extensive background and social detail, which was more fascinating to me. Plus, the religious undertones were very interesting.

People actually enjoy Star Trek Voyager? I was rather excited about the premise when it started, as it was pretty much at the height of my brief Star Trek obsession, but I think that show was partialy responsible for killing my enthusiasm for the whole thing. The characters were terrible, the plots repetitive and largely inconsequential, the interactions unbelievable....I would have liked to have seen the mutiny that was always threatened take place, but it never happened, and they were too interested in maintaining the status quo. Awful show imo, and all the worse because DS9 was running at the same time and eating it for breakfast in every way.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:06 pm 

I've only read 2 books by Dick, Man in the High Castle and Androids. Castle didn't impress me very much despite a great premise. Androids I thought was very good. His focus is definitely content rather than medium, and ideas over characterization to a lesser extent, but he makes up for it I think. Mercerism was definitely interesting. Blade Runner left a lot of the interesting bits out.

I watched Voyager and I enjoyed some of it, but it's definitely not that great. I liked the Doctor and that's the only person I remember well; a large majority of the characters were forgettable (as well as the plots yeah).

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:00 pm 

I feel that Sci-Fi might be the genre that has the most inbound potential to appeal to me that somehow missed the point most of the time. I don't get the classics like Star Trek. I loathe the terrible Stargate (fantastic concepts - super poor execution). Never cared much for Star Wars (even if I do enjoy the original three from time to time) etc.

But there are gems - real gems. I love Planet of the Apes. The first one was special but the new one was really good as well.

As far as regular tv-shows I think the only one that captured my imagination was Battlestar Gallactica. Deep personalities, big questions and moral dilemmas, some action but never to much and few things seem far fetched and out there (if we accept the basic premise of the show). It also has a great aura, much because of a really good soundtrack. And the series had a pretty high quality through and through even though the first couple of seasons vere the best. I saw the whole series for the first time last year and I highly recomend it.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:36 am 

Nahsil wrote:
I've only read 2 books by Dick, Man in the High Castle and Androids. Castle didn't impress me very much despite a great premise. Androids I thought was very good. His focus is definitely content rather than medium, and ideas over characterization to a lesser extent, but he makes up for it I think. Mercerism was definitely interesting. Blade Runner left a lot of the interesting bits out.

Those are honestly both pretty tame by Dick's standards. Like you said he's more about insane ideas than prose or characterization (though in some of his novels, the characterization can be quite good), so the crazier the premise of the novel, the better it tends to be. Many people are familiar with A Scanner Darkly, and it is quite good, but The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch is even crazier, involving alien acid peddled by a man who, after a voyage deep into uncharted space, may or may not have been possessed by an evil alien messiah.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:51 pm 

S T A R T R E K

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:39 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Nahsil wrote:

Those are honestly both pretty tame by Dick's standards. Like you said he's more about insane ideas than prose or characterization (though in some of his novels, the characterization can be quite good), so the crazier the premise of the novel, the better it tends to be. Many people are familiar with A Scanner Darkly, and it is quite good, but The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch is even crazier, involving alien acid peddled by a man who, after a voyage deep into uncharted space, may or may not have been possessed by an evil alien messiah.

Yeah I've heard great things about those and also Ubik and a couple others. I'll get around to more of his stuff eventually. Also Vonnegut, who I sadly haven't read.

crises79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:08 am 

Morrigan wrote:
^ Indeed. I hated what little I saw of Buffy, and while I liked Dollhouse it's not without its flaws, so I can scarcely be called a Whedon fangirl. Firefly is really just that good. I have yet to watch anything else that came close. Jaynestown, Shindig and Out of Gas have to be some of the finest TV ever made.

I've been watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer lately out of youth sentiment, but some of the episodes Whedon wrote and directed himself are nothing short of brilliant. That man is exceptionally capable of transforming ideas to images. He's really very good in using sound, music and all the little things you have in shows to make them work for the emotion he wants to get across.

While Buffy was the first major thing he did, with Firefly he had a ton of experience and did this to perfection. I would have loved to see that show progress into maybe even the best scifi show ever. It had the storylines you could easily expand, it had the entire doom and gloom thinking of this age under control, with the typical tongue in cheek humour and last but not least: a cast you could relate to.

I hate Fox for not giving it a real chance... But, as it was too critical about some aspects which reflected poorly on the political climate of the time (the increasingly dominant central government of the Bush administration, concerning safety, control and civil liberties) Fox had no hesitation in removing it, even though compared to other starting sci fi series, it didn't do too bad in the viewers department.

Nibbed in the bud.

I'm hopelessly behind in my series anyway, but I still have fond memories of Buck Rogers in the 25th century. It wasn't particulary good, but as a child I always watched it. Star Trek TOS never really rocked my boat, but since I'm a child of the eighties, TNG does. I like DS9, but Voyager was a step back. I believe Babylon 5 lost it somewhere and Farscape I never really watched...

Last edited by crises79 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:58 am 

defiance is starting to get interesting imo

haohmaruofthewind
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:56 am 

The Twilight Zone, from the 1980's

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:29 pm 

So I finally finished Farscape and saw the Peacekeeper Wars. The last episode ending the way it did had to have been crazy if I had been watching it when it originally aired but I knew there was still a 3 hour movie left so I wasn't too surprised. Still, reading that Brian Henson had directed the movie left me hoping for a crazy finale, which overall it was and great, save for a couple of things I had some reservations about.

I hate the way they killed off D'Argo. At one point Chiana and him are blown up while on board Lola which we are led to believe have perished only to later see him get gunned down in the most anti-climactic and cliche scene that damn near ruins the movie. How many times have we seen the best friend get injured and decide to stay behind to finish off all the bad guys? The best such scene I've seen is Leon blow up Agent Norman Stansfield by putting in his hand a grenade pin in honor of Matilda in the movie Leon:The Professional. In the time it took for everybody to say goodbye to D'Argo they could have used it to carry the poor guy back to Moya for frellsake!

I loved how John announces to everyone to look over their front window and observe the wormhole weapon they've all been fighting for. Shit, it even gave me a lump in the throat as the red, fiery wormhole gradually grew to enoumous porportions on my giant screen TV. It was hilarious to see even Scorpius admit to John when he gazes at the monster, 'this IS insane Crichton", and yet he ceaselessly smiles as if somewhere in his sinister mind, despite facing utter doom, he still relishes the apocalyptic moment. What a great show. I had seen other series in the past but this one is badass and in IMHO, is the standard that others must live up to.

hunglikemouse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:04 pm 

....MST3K

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:44 am 

Did I miss something or has no one mentioned Black Mirror? Sure it's got a lot of drama, but most of the episodes are either based in the future or some alternate reality. It's really fucking thought provoking, acting is always great, no huge budget to get in the way of the writing which deals heavily with the moral dilemmas inherent in the progress of technology and society. It's got none of the fluff of your typical 21st century sci-fi shows, and although there isn't really a continuous story line, I've always been hoping for a new one to come out, although you need a bit of time to process each episode, so you won't string them together.

I really enjoyed Fringe, with the quirky Walter Bishop, even though the acting of the other characters wasn't always great. But fuck me did they screw up that story line at the end of season 2. They just tried to make it way too complicated, probably because they hadn't written an ending and got signed for another couple of seasons. Then they just started alternating episodes either heavily based on romance or on the continuation of the ever loosening plot. And really, I enjoyed the fact that it started out as a crime sci-fi and grew into something more, but after a while every single one of the "criminals" were doing the same thing for seemingly a completely different purpose and in a different way. I'm talking about the whole
sucking the life out of people
routine. Seriously? That whole idea became boring early on in the show already. It was super disappointing.

I've been meaning to check out Firefly, but I've never been able to get into any Star Trek based show, and I'm worried I'd just be wasting my time with Firefly if it's anything like that.

I will also agree that the first four seasons of Futurama might be the greatest sci-fi ever created, and is at least the best of what I've seen. Oh and all four of the movies as well. I've still got to see season 6 and 7 but season 5 was very much a let down after the first four seasons.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:47 pm 

Firefly is absolutely nothing like Star Trek. Like, at all. Trust me, I don't like Star Trek either.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:13 pm 

...you don't like Star Trek?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:26 am 

EpicSceptic wrote:
I've been meaning to check out Firefly, but I've never been able to get into any Star Trek based show, and I'm worried I'd just be wasting my time with Firefly if it's anything like that.

Where did you get the idea that it was "Star Trek-based"? What Morrigan said. I do like Trek, but there is absolutely no comparing these two franchises. People flying around in a spaceship, yeah, but that's it.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:20 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Trust me, I don't like Star Trek either.

:nono:

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:35 am 

just saw the last episode of Defiance

i am confused

Enthroned3112
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:27 pm 

I get the feeling that nowadays scifi tv shows don't seem to get it right. They copy each other, nothing new, nothing original...
Last new show I watched: Continuum. Another time-travelling cop, the usual bad guys, the usual "mysteries"... yawn.
My scifi favourites are Star Trek: The Next Generation and The X-Files.
Babylon 5 had special effects that sucked ass, Stargate turned a mediocre movie into 87349 (spin-offs included) mediocre tv shows, Fartscape, Space 2063, Earth 2 ... don't even get me started!
Sorry, I love science fiction, but in 90% of the cases, whenever I gave a new tv show a chance, I ended up being disappointed...

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:12 pm 

I've gotta echo the praise for Orphan Black. I'm almost done with this first season and I've really enjoyed it. Maybe once every other episode I'll stop for a minute and think to myself, "holy shit, these two people weren't even in the same place when this scene was filmed because it's the same goddamn actress!" This show would've fallen flat on its ass if they hadn't found such a talented lead.

Firefly was really cool, though I wouldn't *quite* put myself at the same level of ultrafandom that you find a lot of people have for this show. Unlike Morrigan, I like Whedon's other stuff, too; I watched through all of Buffy and Angel this past year and got a kick out of both.

The nu-BSG was entertaining enough, even though lots of shit was blatantly stupid. I really liked Edward James Olmos, especially since he was a decent actor for the parts where he's really dry but whenever he had to get really emotional or outraged or whatever he was just awful in sort of a funny, charming way. Casting Senator John McCain as the first mate of the ship was also a good call as he's a much better actor than politician.

X-Files is really good. I got really into it back when it originally aired but didn't really become a regular viewer until season 4 or so, with random reruns sort of filling in the gaps. I started rewatching the entire series a couple of years ago with my brother but I think he got bored with it. I'll restart it again this fall.

But yeah, as many others have said, lots of current sci-fi is just...not that great. Falling Skies is pretty stupid but I watch it anyway. Same with Revolution. Defiance had me so bored by about halfway through the first episode that I just couldn't imagine myself watching it. Under the Dome is a hilarious joke so I'll watch it until the end of the season I guess (i.e. when it gets cancelled).

What I really want is a new show with Falling Skies' budget, nu-Trek sensibility and decent writing. One can dream...

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Enthroned3112
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:19 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
What I really want is a new show with Falling Skies' budget, nu-Trek sensibility and decent writing. One can dream...

Amen to that. Though there are worse shows than Falling Skies...

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:08 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
The nu-BSG was entertaining enough, even though lots of shit was blatantly stupid. I really liked Edward James Olmos, especially since he was a decent actor for the parts where he's really dry but whenever he had to get really emotional or outraged or whatever he was just awful in sort of a funny, charming way. Casting Senator John McCain as the first mate of the ship was also a good call as he's a much better actor than politician.

I had to give up on that series a good way through, it was just getting too stupid and too deux ex machina. If they had just kept it about internal fleet politics and fighting the Cylons that would have been rad, but instead they had to force in all this quasi-religious crap with prophecies coming true and bla bla bla. I got so tired of that nonsense.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:40 pm 

EpicSceptic wrote:
I will also agree that the first four seasons of Futurama might be the greatest sci-fi ever created, and is at least the best of what I've seen. Oh and all four of the movies as well. I've still got to see season 6 and 7 but season 5 was very much a let down after the first four seasons.

Can't agree with you on all the movies...The first was a goddamn epic, The Beast with a Billion Backs was awesomely bizarre, but Bender's Game...Well, let's just say I watched it stoned and still didn't laugh at anything. Talk about a change in quality after the first two.

I thought Season 5 was great, too. You really didn't stuff like The Prisoner of Benda, The Late Philip J Fry and The Mutants are Revolting? Some of the show's best writing there IMO.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:55 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
I had to give up on that series a good way through, it was just getting too stupid and too deux ex machina. If they had just kept it about internal fleet politics and fighting the Cylons that would have been rad, but instead they had to force in all this quasi-religious crap with prophecies coming true and bla bla bla. I got so tired of that nonsense.

Yeah, that stuff was really poorly handled and definitely marked the start of the series going (further) downhill. I think I must've been extremely bored around then because I did watch it through to the end. Couldn't work up the boredom to watch Caprica, though.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:59 pm 

Fuck BSG, ugh. I watched BSG S1 and stopped after that because I found the entire cast insufferable (Starbuck was okay but still kind of caricatural, but at least she had a personality), especially Gaius Balthar and that stupid blonde bimbo only he can see. The whole thing was so contrived and terribly written, it just annoyed the shit out of me, and there wasn't anything in the story that could really redeem that. I read spoilers/summaries on Wikipedia for the future seasons and I'm so glad I gave up, seems like it became a stupid soap opera in space with idiotic religion deus ex machina BS thrown in and Balthar's screentime got amplified, I would have ended up hating it even more.

It's too bad because the setting and general concept could be really cool. Well, like most sci-fi, I guess. Cool premise ruined by bad writing seems to be the standard of sci-fi TV and movies. :(

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:10 pm 

You should probably watch the original Battlestar then. The story telling and acting(well, not that that's saying much) is far better.

And who can resist the allure of 1960s Science Fiction series anyways? :P

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:34 pm 

iAm wrote:
You should probably watch the original Battlestar then. The story telling and acting(well, not that that's saying much) is far better.

You have got to be fucking kidding me.

Mormon propaganda BSG is, quite possibly, one of the worst sci-fi shows ever conceived, and the acting makes even the worst days of Doctor Who look like a Mike Leigh film. Say what you will about the quality of storytelling and dialog of nu-BSG (I personally find it spectacularly good), but the acting is very nearly objectively amazing, and about as good as TV acting ever gets.

Last edited by darkeningday on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guzman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:45 pm 

I love the Stargate franchise (movies and series). Stargate SG-1 is my favourite.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:01 pm 

iAm wrote:

And who can resist the allure of 1960s Science Fiction series anyways? :P

A "1960's" TV series... made in the late 70's. Yikes. No thanks, I've seen an episode or two when I was a teenager and I thought it was garbage. And lol @ better acting, I hate nu-BSG but the acting is perfectly fine whereas the old crap was cheesy, B-movie grade garbage. Please tell me this was a joke post.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:06 pm 

At the time, I really enjoyed the original Battlestar Galactica when it came out in 1978. Of course, I was a kid who was obsessed with all things involving space ships zooming around shooting at each other, so I guess I was easily impressed. The show's faults were many, and were obvious to anyone older than 12 who watched the show- bad, ham-fisted acting, and the same footage of explosions, dogfights, and ship launches used over and over again, etc. The Mormon propaganda thing was clearly there if you looked for it, but if you weren't looking for it you might just think it was all part of the story. I dunno- my thoughts, that original series was good for it's time, and it worked for it's target audience of young sci-fi adventure fans. It certainly has not aged very well.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next