It regrew there.

I'll get rogaine foam sometime.

I might tint my mullet blonde.

Though I don't like much of glam.

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:01 am 

Doomed Cowboy wrote:
When it comes to attracting your significant other of choice, the matter of long hair is it being clean and well kept. If it looks like you're in a glam metal band, its a no go, but if your hair looks like a shampoo commercial, your fine.

What if his significant other of choice is a crust?

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:03 pm 

RonimuZ wrote:
Doomed Cowboy wrote:
When it comes to attracting your significant other of choice, the matter of long hair is it being clean and well kept. If it looks like you're in a glam metal band, its a no go, but if your hair looks like a shampoo commercial, your fine.

What if his significant other of choice is a crust?

Well,

"If you're looking like a Ted, listen to me son, take a razor to your fucking head."

DreamOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:44 pm 

It just depends on what kind of hair you have. A friend of mine has terrible hair for growing it long (not straight, not curled, but just all over the place), while others have smooth and relatively thick hair. For my entire childhood I had the same lame short hair cut, but now as I'm growing it out it just looks better imo. Maybe ask your local barber on which hair cut/length will be possible with your hair.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:02 pm 

I'm considering letting my hair form into dreadlocks, but I'm not sure if I want to commit to it or not. I think I would like my hair like that, but, I'm worried that if for some reason I don't I'll have to cut all my hair off, and I'm not at all interested in having short hair.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:36 am 

Dreads generally look ridiculous. My hair is long enough to do it, but I've no desire to ever abuse my head like that.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:00 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Dreads generally look ridiculous. My hair is long enough to do it, but I've no desire to ever abuse my head like that.

I definitely disagree with that. Then again, I'm probably biased because I've had dreadlocks for a little over 7 years. It was my only real choice for having longer than shoulder length. I used to chemically straighten mine and I couldn't really get it past my chin for years. I've got dreadlocks to my waist now and I'm a happy dude, ridiculous-looking or not.

I'd say if you're a white dude it's a bit of a gamble. It seems like the thicker your hair is the better it looks and it'll knot better as well.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:25 pm 

analog_winter wrote:
I'm considering letting my hair form into dreadlocks, but I'm not sure if I want to commit to it or not. I think I would like my hair like that, but, I'm worried that if for some reason I don't I'll have to cut all my hair off, and I'm not at all interested in having short hair.

Get a drullet, bro
Spoiler: show

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:29 pm 

I'm officially letting my hair grow again. It grows pretty fast!

I'm also getting new tattoos on my both arms and I'll resume gym/boxing. Badass is coming hahaha!

AzamatBagatov
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:06 am 

This discussion is kind of ridiculous. Do your hair and wear the clothes that you think look best on you and fits your personality and your goals.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:38 am 

Yeah you know, that should be the obvious conclusion, but as you saw in some of the replies...

UKMetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:41 pm 

I'm 14 and I am growing my hair. On the sides it's just past my ears and its slightly longer at the back.

The problem I have is that I have to wash it everyday as it gets so greasy. However, I just had a weeks holiday in Spain; Menorca to be precise, and whilst I was staying there I only had to wash my hair once every 2-3 days. What made it stay greasy free for that long in Spain, but when I'm in not so glorious England I have to wash it everyday??

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:52 pm 

Different weather? More sun exposure?
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:03 pm 

Fewer Tescos? :???:

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:38 am 

Air quality, probably.
My hair stay greasy free longer when in the pollution-free Alps, than when in my regular big-city-suburbs environment.
To separate art from entertainment doesn't make sense anymore.

my trade list

Insolent_Heretic
Torus Map Coloring Theorem

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:31 am 

My tips for growing hair would be to take care of it, if you can't afford to buy salon shampoo the really cheap stuff is often the best, in Australia anyway I know that the Organics range you get at the supermarket is way better for your hair than the expensive stuff in supermarkets.
If you have money I highly recommend De Lorenzo's prescriptions range, it's all natural and really great for your hair, and you can match it to your hair type perfectly.

Also, don't straighten it. I stopped straightening in January and my hair is growing about 50% faster than it was when I was straightening it.
Natural hair looks best on most people anyway, if you have waves or curls, brush your hair when it's wet and let it dry on it's own and it'll look amazing. Brush it when it's dry and you'll just have a mess of fuzz unless you have some amazing hair.

Trimming doesn't actually make your hair grow faster but it will keep your hair healthy and ensure that when it is nice and long it won't be brittle and full of split ends.

On the topic of dreadlocks, I had dreads for about 8 months in 2009, they were natural back-combed dreads and I did them myself. It took three days to comb them all out when I decided I missed my long shiny hair, and a whole bottle of conditioner. My hair was full of split ends and really damaged after that, I don't suggest it to anyone. If you want dreads, be prepared to one day have short hair again.

A couple other basic hair care tips are to braid your hair when you sleep so you don't get it all tangled up, be gentle with hair ties and comb from the ends up. If you're struggling with a knot just jump in the shower and use conditioner or invest in a good detangler.

If anyone has any hair questions I'd be happy to help out and suggest stuff.

Insolent_Heretic
Torus Map Coloring Theorem

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:34 am 

One more thing, massage your scalp in the shower. It feels awesome and promotes hair growth too, even if you don't want long hair it improves circulation and slows balding.

UKMetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:50 pm 

Thanks for the advice :)

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:12 pm 

I didn't cut my hair from 17-22 and I had very long hair. I'm 25 now and I'm thinning and beginning to lose my hair.. Moral of the story, grow it while you still can, don't pay attention to what others say/think. I had more success with women when i had the hair than without. I dealt with the awkward hair stage for about 1 1/2 years, but it was smooth sailing from there. Realistically speaking though, it was a major chore and got in the way of things on a regular basis. I got it stuck in a creeper while working on my car, and that was a nightmare. I didn't have workign A/C in my car so driving with the windows open was a nightmare when my hair would break out of the pony tail and go into my eyes...so prepare for some inconvenience, especiailly if you're the type that likes to work outside and perform automotive repairs... Anyway, as for the ladies, it's more about confidence/attitude than looks alone. Just do not tie it back very tight regularly as the traction could cause you to permanently lose hair in spots.

RainbowPrius19
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:34 pm 

I am growing my hair out now in high school because most of the men in my family have lost their hair. The problem is that my school doesn't allow long hair so I am thinking I will just buy a wig and wear it at school when it gets to that length. I go to an all boys school so it doesn't really matter how I look at school; it just needs to be passable. Anyone had any experiences like this?

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:41 pm 

When I was 12 or something I decided I wanted long hair, so I grew it out to a little longer than shoulder length. Got picked on a lot, and I wasn't that great at taking care of it so my hair looked really greasy. Ended up cutting it off when I was about 16 or something because I was starting at a new school and didn't want to be "that guy" (ended up being that guy anyway), but then 2 years later I started growing it out again. Now I'm 22 and have glorious hair (and a job I might add, to all the doubters)

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:08 am 

My hair's been long for nigh on 27 years. I'm not the biggest conformist ever and hate the attitude to guys with long hair. I've had job interviews where I'd have bagged the job if it weren't for my hair length. Fuck 'em all! Long hair shouldn't mean you can't do the job. Still, I've been in the same job for more than 13 years now, and my hair is in a Celtic style plait. Even though I look like I do, I've still had people mistaking me for a woman when they've been behind me. Well, I suppose you do get Amazonian type women, so maybe they thought I was one of those :lol:

About 15 years ago, I was, er, rolling about in the grass with my now wife. I noticed that a number of men were pointing at us about 15 metres away. I didn't take any notice until one of them said, 'Look, lesbians!'. Me and my wife have laughed about that one ever since. Idiots!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:15 pm 

RainbowPrius19 wrote:
my school doesn't allow long hair

Maybe you should tell your school administration what century we live in. They seem to have them confused.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:07 pm 

drterror666 wrote:

About 15 years ago, I was, er, rolling about in the grass with my now wife. I noticed that a number of men were pointing at us about 15 metres away. I didn't take any notice until one of them said, 'Look, lesbians!'. Me and my wife have laughed about that one ever since. Idiots!

Priceless

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:11 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
RainbowPrius19 wrote:

Maybe you should tell your school administration what century we live in. They seem to have them confused.

All the private schools I know aren't allowing long hair for boys, unfortunately. Stereotypes are still real, eh.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:04 pm 

I still don't get how nobody opposes that on grounds of absolutely obvious sexism. We're not fucking talking about men wearing skirts, we're talking about men wearing long hair which they did for something like 3/4 of human history.

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:30 am 

Plus, if it was a school for girls, they have their hair long, in plaits, the lot. It really is sexist, but unfortunately those up there don't seem to want to listen to sense.

IRLBarryR
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:43 pm 

I'm a bit late to this party but I'll give you my experiences anyway.

I'm 28 and first grew my hair long at 17/18 and cut it at 25 and now I'm growing it again. Just so you know where I'm at right now the hair in the center of my forehead when pulled down reaches the end of my nose. About 2 weeks ago I went to the barbers and had the back of my head trimmed and layered because it was sticking out to the sides at the back making me look fucking stupid. The key is to get the length at the top first and work from there. NEVER EVER put your hair out over your ears until it is fully long, it makes you look like a fucking dope! Tuck the hair in behind the ears, it helps keep everything together and looking sharp. I've got curly blonde hair so this may not apply to the OP but when I wash my hair I always get it styled right and wear a hat for a few hours to make sure it doesn't explode with volume and make me look goofy. Also, NEVER EVER brush your hair when dry, it will seriously damage your hair. When dry, always use your fingers and when out of the shower you can use the brush. Finally, use coconut conditioner, it really helps with any tangles you may get.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:50 pm 

Do you have armpit hair? Shave your armpit hair and glue it on your face. Voila.

EDIT: I responded to the OP, by the way.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:40 pm 

IRLBarryR wrote:

I'm 28 and first grew my hair long at 17/18 and cut it at 25 and now I'm growing it again. Just so you know where I'm at right now the hair in the center of my forehead when pulled down reaches the end of my nose. About 2 weeks ago I went to the barbers and had the back of my head trimmed and layered because it was sticking out to the sides at the back making me look fucking stupid. The key is to get the length at the top first and work from there. NEVER EVER put your hair out over your ears until it is fully long, it makes you look like a fucking dope! Tuck the hair in behind the ears, it helps keep everything together and looking sharp. I've got curly blonde hair so this may not apply to the OP but when I wash my hair I always get it styled right and wear a hat for a few hours to make sure it doesn't explode with volume and make me look goofy. Also, NEVER EVER brush your hair when dry, it will seriously damage your hair. When dry, always use your fingers and when out of the shower you can use the brush. Finally, use coconut conditioner, it really helps with any tangles you may get.

Damn, dude. When I was younger, I just grew it out. I guess I styled it, but there wasn't really any thought put into it.

Except conditioner. If you've never had long hair before, beware: you can't have long hair and just dump shampoo on it without conditioner like you used to with short hair. It'll split and frizz.

IRLBarryR
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:16 pm 

soul_schizm wrote:
IRLBarryR wrote:

Damn, dude. When I was younger, I just grew it out. I guess I styled it, but there wasn't really any thought put into it.

Except conditioner. If you've never had long hair before, beware: you can't have long hair and just dump shampoo on it without conditioner like you used to with short hair. It'll split and frizz.

I don't think my pointers require a lot of thought, just some simple tips I would have found useful when I was growing mine first time.

hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:43 am 

You should make sure you grow your hair out for the right reasons. Do not do it because you identify with the 'metal image' or some other nonsense like that. That is nothing but a false mask to put on your head. Hair should be done for enjoyment, not because you like metal music and believe that you should do it. Not that anyone is justifying it based on that, but it is still important to let it be known.

thenamelessdead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:06 pm 

After one false start I managed to achieve long hair, but it's a bit of trial at times. I can't really remember what drove me to do it, possibly just that it was during a stage where I was generally fed up with what I deemed to be 'normal' things and people and had an urge to set myself apart.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:40 pm 

hippiedrow wrote:
You should make sure you grow your hair out for the right reasons. Do not do it because you identify with the 'metal image' or some other nonsense like that. That is nothing but a false mask to put on your head. Hair should be done for enjoyment, not because you like metal music and believe that you should do it. Not that anyone is justifying it based on that, but it is still important to let it be known.

Maybe I enjoy looking like a metalhead.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:23 pm 

I have hair everywhere but my head. I'm like a bald ape.

Bald ape supremacy!

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:46 pm 

Shave your back hair and make an wig out of it!

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:04 pm 

I would have an afro worthy of a pimp.

germandeather
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:39 am 

inhumanist wrote:
RainbowPrius19 wrote:

Metantoine wrote: All the private schools I know aren't allowing long hair for boys, unfortunately. Stereotypes are still real, eh.

Really? I go to a private school and even the girls in my class have shorter hair than me.

I grew my hair when i was about seven, so obviously people thought i was a girl; at the age of 13 i cut it due to group pressure.
But at 15/16 i realized that i wanted long hair and that i basically should stop to get myself pushed into roles (the typical process of getting to yourself, defining your personality taste and not giving a fuck for other peoples useless input).
However, i grew a goatee at 17, now im 18 and have a full beard... no one confuses me with a girl anymore.

wrath of poo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:12 pm 

Just take good care of it and you will do just fine. It just takes time and effort like all good things in life.

GO FOR IT

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:00 pm 

Sorry for the off topic but... what about the FUCKING knots? How do you avoid or deal with them?
We use to go diving and I have never had my hair so long:
http://viviendoapesardelacrisis.blogspo ... osnar.html
http://imgur.com/EkLJDxD
Usually, it's not a problem but this saturday the fucking hair got trapped with my hair rubber and caused I HUGE knot!
I finally could get rid of it (having to cut the rubber) today:

God! What a pain in the ass!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next