Sokaris wrote:
Just finished System Shock 2.

NAH

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:49 pm 

HellishHound wrote:
MARSDUDE wrote:
I bought Skyrim Legendary off eBay. Still waiting for that bastard to arrive. Can't wait though. Loved Morrowind, and Oblivion slightly less.

Have you played Skyrim yet? If not then the main quest is going to be a huge let down. Atleast it was for me. Oblivion (the first elder scrolls game I"ve played, I've tried all others except for morrowind) had this epic sense to it you know? Like you actually got to go to oblivion, and mehrunes dagons paradise, no part of it was boring, at least for me. However, Skyrim just felt disjointed, buggy, and lacking. The final battle left a bad bad taste in my mouth. I hope Elder Scrolls Online doesn't disappoint, because I've been looking for a new mmorpg to get into.

You should play morrowind. If you think Oblivion had an epic storyline, wait 'till you lose yourself in morrowind.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:05 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
You should play morrowind. If you think Oblivion had an epic storyline, wait 'till you lose yourself in morrowind.

I've been meaning too actually, I want to play all the Elder Scrolls (I've beat Oblivon and Skyrim, and played some of Daggerfall and Arena) Morrowind is the only one I haven't tried yet. Oblivion was like the first real game that sucked me in you know? I played it with my best friend/s and spent countless hours on that game (I've logged well over a thousand hours). I really love the Elder Scrolls world, I get sucked in to the lore big time, reading the books in game and studying the lore out of game too. But I was so let down with Skyrim, like I thought it had a good engine and what not. But the storyline were lacking for me, and the gameplay just felt disjointed Idk. But I'm definitely gonna give it a try soon. However, right now I'm sucked into DayZ, ArmA II was only $12 on steam so I said why the hell not even if the standalone is gonna come out $12 ain't shit haha.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:12 pm 

Morrowind is definitely about the immersion, the world, the lore, and the storylines. Combat wise it's outdated (as it should be), but it's fun nonetheless, and if you are playing on pc you can crank it up with mods if you want. (I prefer not to) The game doesn't hold your hand, and you can very well die within the first 5 minutes if you take the wrong turn/come across the wrong enemy, but getting stronger is REALLY rewarding and satisfying. Oh, and you are going to hate these:

Spoiler: show

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:15 pm 

Yeah I've heard as much. I don't want a game to hold my hand haha and I'll definitely mod it, I've made the full switch to PC gaming really. I'm modding the hell out of Oblivion right now. If it's like you've described man I'll definitely love it as much as Oblivion if not more. It's only $20 on Steam, and I happen to have $20 in my wallet....hmm I might just have to get this sooner than I thought haha

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:40 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:

I dislike Morrowind, but I HATE those. DIIIIIIIEEEEEE
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:52 pm 

HellishHound wrote:
Nochielo wrote:
So, Bethesda finally decided they wanted my money and released Skyrim with all expansions. I had forgotten how much I liked the Elder Scrolls and how much better Fallout is.

I wouldnt go so far as to say Fallout is better, better than Skyrim, probably, better than the elder scrolls series, certainly not. Skyrim was the worst fucking game in the elder scrolls series. Oblivion blew it out of the water in every aspect in my opinion.

It's debatable, but to me, Fallout wins by such a large margin. The outside perspective into these times (and a few decades back), the settings, conversations, the slightly goofy imagining of the future and VATS. I understand that some people hate to pause the action but to me it's a great throwback to the original PC games, and those kicked so much ass. Not to mention how fun exploration is in Fallout, everything has this sense of odd familiarity while still keeping you on your toes. It's sad how poorly this is implemented in the Elder Scrolls, I never even wandered into dungeons in Oblivion, they were just generic labyrinths with no reward whatsoever for completing them (Skyrim improved greatly in that aspect). Also I don't really care for story in open world games, it's just an excuse to quest more. Both Oblivion and Skyrim have boring as hell stories (never finished Morrowind or played the first two). The Fallout games have simple, by-the-numbers stories but stories that are effective, they don't try more than necessary in matters of scope.

Where I believe the Elder Scrolls has a great advantage over Fallout is in the lore, but I never read the games' books so I am not very concerned by missing out on that.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:59 pm 

I never thought Oblivion's story was very good; it seemed exactly like all the other "evil demons invading the world!" tripe in pop fantasy video games. Sure, you go to Dagon's realm, but it's a pretty generic fantasy hellscape and Paradise, while the high-point of the main quest, only accounts for the final hour or so. And while Skyrim could have fallen the same way with "dragons destroying everything!" it at least fleshed it out with the Dragon language and political currents. The Elder Scrolls series has always thrived on that bizarre fantasy setting (that Morrowind mastered, as many seem to agree,) so Oblivion's generic medieval haunts never seemed to fit with the rest of the series. Still a great game in terms of gameplay and immersion, just not up to the rest of TES' lofty standards.

According to original TES lore, (I think it's in the Pocket Guide to the Empire that came with Redguard boxes) Cyrodil was actually supposed to be a rainforest. Makes me wonder why they didn't stick with that for Oblivion. Plus, Shivering Isles bought the creativity and plot back in spades, so the devs certainly had it in them.

Last edited by Smoking_Gnu on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:00 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
I bought Skyrim Legendary off eBay. Still waiting for that bastard to arrive. Can't wait though. Loved Morrowind, and Oblivion slightly less.

Morrowind was great though i was about 12 when i played it so it was a bit too advanced for me at the time

for me Skyrim is much better than Oblivion imo but Oblivion had a much better scale, i actually felt like i was making a difference which i never felt like i was in Skyrim people in guilds would react to you the same way if you were the leader or just joined and it never made me feel like i was making a difference

would love to see them remake Morrowind

just wondering how does skyrim compare with oblivion in terms of DLC? because i remember the huge DLC for oblivion was so much fun and so weird(which is one of the reasons it was so much fun)

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:16 pm 

Sokaris wrote:
Just finished System Shock 2.

Sweet, I was beginning to think I was the only one. I still have no clue how I managed to kill the brain of the many though.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:53 pm 

I did an insane amount of quick-saving with a speed-booster and psi shield active. Really wish I would've had the stats to use the assault rifle earlier and used my standard ammo with that. Ahh well, made it through the game, just freakin' barely.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:48 am 

Funny all this talk about Morrowind in this page, I've started replaying it a few days ago. I still think it's the best TES game, though I haven't played much Daggerfall and never played Arena at all to say for sure. Sure the combat kind of sucked and the gameplay is unpolished, at times it felt like a walking simulator(try starting the game using heavy armor and with low athletics and you'll want to kill yourself in the first few hours), and it had cliffracers, but damn you could just lose yourself in the game. The setting in Vvardenfell is just great, blows the shit off generic-medieval-land and generic-viking-land of the later games. More variety of magic, weapons, and probably creatures as well. There was actually a sense of danger, the first forays into Daedric and Dwemer ruins or into more remote areas such as Redoran and Telvanni territory always had you on yours toes. Maybe it's all nostalgia googles but I love this game.

I have to get that Dragonborn dlc for Skyrim so I can visit Solstheim with new-gen graphics and stuff.

On the other hand I consider Oblivion to be the lamest. Not as interesting as Morrowind, not as refined as Skyrim and with the worst main quest, though I think I like its the combat system the most, and the Shivering Isles rule.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:37 am 

See I just don't understand how anyone could think the main quest from Skyrim was better than Oblivions! You spend all this time in skyrim just to fight one lousy ass dragon that takes all of two seconds to beat. It was the lamest thing I've ever done. Sure oblivion may have been alittle on the generic fantasy side. But that main quest was sweet. The battle at bruma when all the oblivion gates open and daedra just pour out. The part where fucking Mehrunes Dagon himself in giant form attacks the Imperial City. How in the hell is that worse than killing Alduin in like 2 minutes come on guys :/

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:44 am 

Oblivion definitely had better quests than Skyrim and not only the main one. The Mages' Guild story was fucking awesome and the Dark Brotherhood was memorable. I only really liked the Winterhold's storyline in Skyrim. The whole Fighters Guild thing with werewolves was kinda meh, I guess the Thieves' guild was better than the Dark Bro too. I still need to play the expansions though, but yeah the fight with Alduin was pretty underwhelming and easy and I was playing at one of the highest difficulty and I'm a sucky gamer.

I do prefer the controls of Skyrim though and the magic was very well done, it's just not as complete as Oblivion.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:50 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Oblivion definitely had better quests than Skyrim and not only the main one. The Mages' Guild story was fucking awesome and the Dark Brotherhood was memorable. I only really liked the Winterhold's storyline in Skyrim. The whole Fighters Guild thing with werewolves was kinda meh, I guess the Thieves' guild was better than the Dark Bro too. I still need to play the expansions though, but yeah the fight with Alduin was pretty underwhelming and easy and I was playing at one of the highest difficulty and I'm a sucky gamer.

I do prefer the controls of Skyrim though and the magic was very well done, it's just not as complete as Oblivion.

Exactly! Thank you! All of the quests were better in my opinion (though I will admit I'm looking at this through nostalgic eyes). But I will agree the controls of skyrim were better. Ultimately I think an Elder Scrolls game with Skyrim's controls + the older games storylines/quests/immersion would be like the best game ever.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:37 pm 

Oblivion I disliked that in the main quest all the oblivion portals got tiring. It pretty much amounted to randomized zones where you did the exact same thing every single time. Made the entire thing deathly redundant. Skyrim didn't have that, but like Oblivion it didn't really feel like the world was threatened that much despite this big problem that was going on. I'd rather kill a dragon because it doesn't make me have to go through a whole new quest up towers again and again just to do it. Granted that it was pretty cool at times, especially the first times, but they all ended the same way and made me feel like a tool having to do it every time. Padded the game out.

Skyrim did suck for its thieves guild, though. The main quest was all right, but once you get a certain status it becomes painfully excessive to reach the final part of the quest. I remember that you need to do dozens of little fetching quests.

Oh and Frostbite spiders. Fuck spiders.

If you don't have Skyrim on PC and modded the shit out of it, then the game is pretty shitty.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:55 pm 

Meh, Oblivion had more engaged quests in general but I thought the writing was relatively poor. And the voice acting is atrocious, I would've taken Morrowind's text anytime before. I really couldn't take the Dark Brotherhood seriously at all, every member seemed like some weirdo you'd see in comic books or something. And that's one of my gripes about Oblivion, there are so many things that don't feel serious at all, like a parody of the elder scrolls. Skyrim is so much better in that respect and there's still some pretty engaging quests. But yeah, a lot of them are much simpler in design unfortunately.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:14 pm 

As much as I love the Elder Scrolls and enjoy talking about it (even with those who don't share my opinions haha) I'm gonna move away from this discussion and move into DayZ. Anyone else playing dayZ? If so hit me up we'll play together.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:43 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
The whole Fighters Guild thing with werewolves was kinda meh

"Meh" doesn't does justice to how shitty it is, so easy and lame its not even worth bothering. I find the Fighters Guilds to be usually the most underwhelming, but the one in Skyrim easily takes the cake. Even turning into a werewolf is massively underwhelming.

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
Meh, Oblivion had more engaged quests in general but I thought the writing was relatively poor. And the voice acting is atrocious, I would've taken Morrowind's text anytime before. I really couldn't take the Dark Brotherhood seriously at all, every member seemed like some weirdo you'd see in comic books or something. And that's one of my gripes about Oblivion, there are so many things that don't feel serious at all, like a parody of the elder scrolls. Skyrim is so much better in that respect and there's still some pretty engaging quests. But yeah, a lot of them are much simpler in design unfortunately.

I know what you mean. What bothered me the most was how buttugly everyone was, they all had this kind of featureless pudding faces with creepy grins and whatnot, the Dunmer and Bosmer looked like clowns, Orcs were just ugly as fuck without having any kind of threatening look, and etc. In Morrowind everyone was ugly but they were ugly in a cool way and even if the faces were all presets they had more character than in Oblivion with it's robust character creation. Skyrim did really improve a lot in this regard.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:04 pm 

I think I'm starting to notice a trend here: Whatever your first elder scrolls game was tends to be your favorite. Like my little cousin I recently turned on to elder scrolls (he was a strictly sports/fps kid until now) and he absolutely loves skyrim, and thinks its head and shoulders above the rest. I obviously love oblivion. And lot of the older people (I'm 19) here seem to love Morrowind the most. I'd like to get the opinion of people who's first elder scrolls game was Daggerfall or Arena.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:10 pm 

Skyrim is no doubt the easiest one for the younger crowd to get in and more acessible than the earlier games so in that case I don't think it's much of a matter of being the first one played.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:15 pm 

To be honest I never really played Oblivion or Skyrim. I just had a couple of hours of gameplay at my friends place. But from what I have gathered Skyrim obviously has the superior combat system but lacks in the immersion/quest department, and Oblivion is pretty cool all around but sufferers from stupid things like horrible faces (which really made me want to kill everyone without any sense of remorse) Morrowind on the other hand I played for hundreds of hours. I love it despite all it's flaws, and I consider it be one of my all time favorite things. Not in games, but in general physical things.

thrashfan07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:32 pm 

Hello, video gamers of MA! Let it be known that I am a foolish jester in the field known as the RPG, but I am looking to change that. I recently ran through FFVI and FFVII (and loved both) and am looking for more titles of the like to play. I am currently leaning towards Xenogears, but am undecided. Any big qualms with that title, or do the pros outweigh the cons?

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:22 pm 

Speaking of The Elder Scrolls games, I"d like to direct your attention to this: http://morroblivion.com/forums/skyrim/s ... eases/3323

A bunch of crazy yet determined people are in the process of creating a complete version of Morrowind using the Skyrim engine. They also did the same thing for Oblivion. The Oblivion mod is complete, the Skyrim mod is still in development (though you can download an alpha version).

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:33 pm 

Finally got myself a PS3, along with the Origins Collection of God of War games. A friend of the family also borrowed me Assassins Creed II, Uncharted 2 and Batman: Arkham Asylum.

I feel reborn.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:48 pm 

Arkham Asylum is so damn good. Get on that.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:57 pm 

Played a bit of Arkham City at a friend's house, actually. If both of those games are similar in quality, then I'm in for a treat.

gamblor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:52 pm 

Marag wrote:
Funny all this talk about Morrowind in this page, I've started replaying it a few days ago. I still think it's the best TES game, though I haven't played much Daggerfall and never played Arena at all to say for sure. Sure the combat kind of sucked and the gameplay is unpolished, at times it felt like a walking simulator(try starting the game using heavy armor and with low athletics and you'll want to kill yourself in the first few hours), and it had cliffracers, but damn you could just lose yourself in the game. The setting in Vvardenfell is just great, blows the shit off generic-medieval-land and generic-viking-land of the later games. More variety of magic, weapons, and probably creatures as well. There was actually a sense of danger, the first forays into Daedric and Dwemer ruins or into more remote areas such as Redoran and Telvanni territory always had you on yours toes. Maybe it's all nostalgia googles but I love this game.

I have to get that Dragonborn dlc for Skyrim so I can visit Solstheim with new-gen graphics and stuff.

On the other hand I consider Oblivion to be the lamest. Not as interesting as Morrowind, not as refined as Skyrim and with the worst main quest, though I think I like its the combat system the most, and the Shivering Isles rule.

I completely agree about Morrowind. I absolutely love both Oblivion and Skyrim, but the thing that made Morrowind so enchanting to me was how foreign the world was. In IV and V, you had scorpions and wolves and bears and etc. But in III you have Alits, Guars, Netch, Dremora, and so many other exotic creatures. Sure, there were, like you said, Cliffracers and there wasn't hit detection, but the world of Vvardenfell is one that I fell in love with. I can seriously immerse myself in Morrowind more than any other TES game. Oh yeah... III has levitation and chameleon spells... which I direly miss in the newer games.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:16 pm 

gamblor wrote:
Marag wrote:

I completely agree about Morrowind. I absolutely love both Oblivion and Skyrim, but the thing that made Morrowind so enchanting to me was how foreign the world was. In IV and V, you had scorpions and wolves and bears and etc. But in III you have Alits, Guars, Netch, Dremora, and so many other exotic creatures. Sure, there were, like you said, Cliffracers and there wasn't hit detection, but the world of Vvardenfell is one that I fell in love with. I can seriously immerse myself in Morrowind more than any other TES game. Oh yeah... III has levitation and chameleon spells... which I direly miss in the newer games.

Which is why I play the PC version of Oblivion. The mods really make it an amazing game. And oh yeah, I just downloaded a levitation mod for Oblivion.

gamblor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:12 pm 

A levitation mod? That's just downright awesome. Levitation spells are part of what made Morrowind for me. I wish that the Xbox Arcade made it possible for anyone to upload their own mods. It would be great for those of us who don't have computers, or at least ones that are powerful enough.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:29 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Played a bit of Arkham City at a friend's house, actually. If both of those games are similar in quality, then I'm in for a treat.

Oh, yeah, great games for sure. I preferred Asylum over City, the Metroidvania styled exploration felt a lot better than an open world, at least to me. I mean, there aren't significant changes anywhere else. For whatever reason, I didn't think you were much of a gamer, man.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:56 am 

Nochielo wrote:
Oh, yeah, great games for sure. I preferred Asylum over City, the Metroidvania styled exploration felt a lot better than an open world

That's because Metroidvania > open worlds :nods:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

gamblor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:36 am 

A few friends of mine goaded me into playing Castlevania: SoTN awhile back... it changed my life. I grew up on Super Metroid, so the play style was definitely A++++++++.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:50 am 

all this Morrowind talk - made me go back, install the appropriate mods (graphics overhaul, better bodies, better heads, the clothing mods) shit son, that game is dope.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:39 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Nochielo wrote:
Oh, yeah, great games for sure. I preferred Asylum over City, the Metroidvania styled exploration felt a lot better than an open world

That's because Metroidvania > open worlds :nods:

I would agree, but I would sound like an old man rambling... we don't get enough Metroidvanias these days. In fact Asylum is have been the last one I've played.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:45 pm 

Nochielo wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

Oh, yeah, great games for sure. I preferred Asylum over City, the Metroidvania styled exploration felt a lot better than an open world, at least to me. I mean, there aren't significant changes anywhere else. For whatever reason, I didn't think you were much of a gamer, man.

I used to be much more of a gamer a couple of years ago, but I'm going through kind of a revival :-P

Also, as much as I like Metroidvanias, what's wrong with open world games?

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:37 pm 

90% of them have nothing to do and reek of needless padding.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:45 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
all this Morrowind talk - made me go back, install the appropriate mods (graphics overhaul, better bodies, better heads, the clothing mods) shit son, that game is dope.

what graphics overhaul you use? i tried using Morrowind Graphics Extender and it absolutely devoured my framerate, 13fps at most, while I play Skyrim with graphics set at high with around 25fps(though I use some modifications for better performance)

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:29 pm 

Arkham Asylum > Arkham City

And yes I agree, it's because of how much tighter an experience it is. The city in the second game, although I liked it, made things a bit worse. It lacked the focus of Asylum.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:13 pm 

In all fairness, Arkham City was better when it came to the detective stuff as well as the combat (the double/triple counters were so damn cool).

They handed the third game off to a different studio, which is puzzling since Rocksteady doesn't seem to be working on anything at the moment.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 496, 497, 498, 499, 500, 501, 502 ... 940  Next