* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:56 pm 

Opus wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
I really love Shadowland, and New World Messiah is a good album too. I haven't really played Afterlife all that much to be honest.

New World Messiah is my favourite Lindqvist album. The drumming is considerably better on it, and Lindqvist sounds 100% like a metal singer, whereas on the other albums he sounds like a hard rock singer in a metal band (which he is). There's aggressivity and anger in his voice.

Yeah I agree, he wails like a fucking god on NWM - Bruce Dickinson-caliber vocals on that album easily. The first two songs are amazing, maybe their best ever. If the music was a bit heavier and more like Shadowland-styled I might rank it up there with that album as a modern PM classic. But I still really like it anyway.

WarriorFenix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:38 pm 

Just listened to Civil Wars (the band created by the trio that left Sabaton, but im sure most here know that already) debut "The Killer Angels" and damn im really enjoying it.

"King of the Sun", "Saint Patricks Day" and "I will Rule the Universe" are killer tracks and there isnt really a weak song on it. Very impressed

Vintersorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:42 pm 

Someone please recommend me something similar to Cloven Hoof's masterpiece A Sultan's Ransom.

Been spinning this baby for the past week and damn, I think I need more of the same.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:26 pm 

Vintersorrow wrote:
Someone please recommend me something similar to Cloven Hoof's masterpiece A Sultan's Ransom.

Crescent Shield
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWXwRpiN72Y

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:05 pm 

Anything out there in the realm of speed metal that's rather punkish in nature, and sounds like the band is trying to play faster than it actually can but ends up holding it together? Guitar solos are an added bonus, don't care what style of vocals at this point. A close comparison that comes to mind would be something similar to Holy Terror, but a bit more melodic, I guess. The only thing I've found that is similar is that band Ranger from Finland.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:24 pm 

Vintersorrow wrote:

Been spinning this baby for the past week and damn, I think I need more of the same.

The sci-fi references and pseudo-NWOBHM style always remind me of Full Moon's debut.

Dragunov wrote:
Anything out there in the realm of speed metal that's rather punkish in nature, and sounds like the band is trying to play faster than it actually can but ends up holding it together? Guitar solos are an added bonus, don't care what style of vocals at this point. A close comparison that comes to mind would be something similar to Holy Terror, but a bit more melodic, I guess. The only thing I've found that is similar is that band Ranger from Finland.

Sounds like you're looking for English Dogs' Forward Into Battle and Where Legend Began. Power/thrash combined with punk.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:32 pm 

I know of that first album, but haven't listened to it in forever, so I shall have to revisit it. I haven't heard that second album at all! Thanks!

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:18 pm 

Dragunov wrote:

I can think of two bands you may enjoy. Their similarity to HolyTerror is open to debate but either way, hope you enjoy.

S.D.I is German speed metal with obvious punk leanings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8fUwucLlOg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zG5OtQ_l7I

English Dogs was a punk band turned speed metal band in the early to mid 80's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_j4Lt2ZcAE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aETMaMyhnRA

Cheers

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:03 pm 

Vintersorrow wrote:

I would say RIOT - Thundersteel is in that ballpark.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:18 pm 

Power / heavy fans NEED to hear Magnus Karlsson's Free Fall. This album rules.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ma ... all/377469
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:33 pm 

I'll check that out, if only because some of those guest vocalists are really bloody badass, Ozzy. Anything that features Russell Allen is worth my attention.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:07 am 

Shok Paris is pretty damn good. Listening to Steel and Starlight and I can hear some Jag Panzer, some Vicious Rumors, some Queensryche in the more midpaced moments...pretty wild, unhinged vocals, too. I like it. Definitely should have paid attention when they were getting hailed in this thread years ago.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:18 am 

After Manilla Road and Slough Feg what would be the next bands to investigate? It's gotta have a real Epic feel, of Mythology or sci-fi, or Lost Worlds and a sense of wonder and adventure. And riffs, it's gotta have RIFFS and epic solos. Thanks! (especially would look forward to input from Empyreal, as his reviews really match my opinion) :)

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:39 pm 

If you're looking for epic heavy metal a la The 'Road, check out Longings Past, Ageless Wisdom, Wotan's Thunderstorm demo, Graven Rite, Borrowed Time, Eternal Champion, and Wrathblade (the vocalist sounds like a clone of Mike Scalzi, so that should be to your liking). That's the majority of the decent stuff I've found, and I've looked pretty hard.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:02 pm 

Think I am going to really give Russia's Aria a go this weekend. Random youtube clicks and I Love what I am hearing so far from this band What are the boards thoughts on this band? Rarely hear mention of them.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:26 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
If you're looking for epic heavy metal a la The 'Road, check out Longings Past, Ageless Wisdom, Wotan's Thunderstorm demo, Graven Rite, Borrowed Time, Eternal Champion, and Wrathblade (the vocalist sounds like a clone of Mike Scalzi, so that should be to your liking). That's the majority of the decent stuff I've found, and I've looked pretty hard.

Thanks! I appreciate the digging around. I liked elements of every band you suggested, with Borrowed Time the closest to the nailhead. Wow, so obscure, though. Single demos? NEEDZ MOAR!! :-P

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:55 am 

bronxeel wrote:
After Manilla Road and Slough Feg

Steel Tormentor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeM-fLcBnWM

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:59 am 

Antiquus and Hanker are my two favorite bands like that. They don't worship at the altar of Manilla Road or Slough Feg, but the aesthetic of pure cult, underground metal is there, and the weird riffing and song structures will make you think of MR and Slough Feg for sure.

mike5700
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:18 am 

Pls help identify band http://www.fayloobmennik.net/2981634

A_Dreamer_In_The_Theater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:43 am 

Looking for something similar to Symphony X around the time of "The Odyssey" and "Paradise Lost". Progressive power metal but with more of a focus on aggression and less focus on exuberant soloing.

Please nobody say ADAGIO!

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:17 pm 

Hey Dreamer, I think Myrath might be of your liking. Their sound isn't overtly aggressive, but they're strongly and clearly influenced by Symphony X; groovy, heavy riffing, symphonic arrangements here and there, and soaring, powerful vocals. Hope you like Arabic melodies too, because they have plenty of them!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:33 pm 

bronxeel wrote:
...Borrowed Time the closest to the nailhead. Wow, so obscure, though. Single demos? NEEDZ MOAR!! :-P

Don't be a greedy pig! If you get the Arcane Metal Arts release with the two "Fog in the Valley" bonus tracks it's actually a pretty dense listen for as short as it is. And hugely rewarding. I still have to hear it on a weekly basis.

Have you listened to Ironsword at all? They're straight up Manilla Road worship (with a slice of Omen here and there) but they are surprisingly talented in their tributes. Overlords of Chaos is just a bit too long, or I'd play it a LOT more.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:07 am 

I ordered the Borrowed Time after listening on youtube. Will check out Ironsword today or tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your input!

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:54 pm 

So guys, just something I thought I'd throw up here.

Is there any magazines that are good for power/speed/traditional? I'm fine if they cover other stuff, but I'm just going to skip over any straight death metal or black metal that might be there. If it covers thrash, that would be a plus. I just haven't found any magazines that seem to actually cover metal besides metalcore, so I'm just looking for a little help.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:13 am 

Doomed Cowboy wrote:
Is there any magazines that are good for power/speed/traditional?

http://www.ironfistmag.com/

A_Dreamer_In_The_Theater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:14 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Hey Dreamer, I think Myrath might be of your liking. Their sound isn't overtly aggressive, but they're strongly and clearly influenced by Symphony X; groovy, heavy riffing, symphonic arrangements here and there, and soaring, powerful vocals. Hope you like Arabic melodies too, because they have plenty of them!

Thanks, man! I finally got to listening to the whole album and the Symphony X influence is actually quite strong and I can appreciate the Arabian touch.

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:27 pm 

Getting a little bit more into the groove here, I'm looking for something a bit specific. Some power metal with a deeper guitar tone, and a little bit more grit. But I want the tone deeper than most USPM I've heard, or anything like that. Essentially, I'm looking for some melodic death metal toned guitars, clean vocals, and fantasy.

Just another thing, do you guys get much crap for being power metal fans? I haven't dealt with it much in person (in fact, more people I've met are of the power metal clan than others), but on the internet it seems almost frowned upon in many circles, because its not "br00tal" or something like that.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:20 pm 

Doomed Cowboy wrote:
Getting a little bit more into the groove here, I'm looking for something a bit specific. Some power metal with a deeper guitar tone, and a little bit more grit. But I want the tone deeper than most USPM I've heard, or anything like that. Essentially, I'm looking for some melodic death metal toned guitars, clean vocals, and fantasy.

Her Whisper? Arch Nemesis? Bloodbound on Tabula Rasa?

People who hate or make fun of power metal usually have pretty crappy, only-black/death metal tastes I find.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:30 pm 

I'd like the fastest speed metal you've ever heard. Hit me!

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:42 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Doomed Cowboy wrote:

Her Whisper? Arch Nemesis? Bloodbound on Tabula Rasa?

People who hate or make fun of power metal usually have pretty crappy, only-black/death metal tastes I find.

Yes! All good stuff, thank you Empyreal!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:53 pm 

I don't know what happened, but I can't stand Herman Frank's Right in the Guts anymore. I used to like what I'd heard of it, but I sat down and listened to the entire thing and it was a chore. Rick Altzi, while a competent vocalist I guess, has the most GRATING AND ANNOYING TONE in power metal. Seriously, I can't stand the dude's voice. Not only that, but his vocal lines suck and fail to raise any level of excitement whatsoever.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:47 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I don't know what happened, but I can't stand Herman Frank's Right in the Guts anymore. I used to like what I'd heard of it, but I sat down and listened to the entire thing and it was a chore. Rick Altzi, while a competent vocalist I guess, has the most GRATING AND ANNOYING TONE in power metal. Seriously, I can't stand the dude's voice. Not only that, but his vocal lines suck and fail to raise any level of excitement whatsoever.

You clearly haven't heard enough stuff with Chity Somapala on it. :p

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:15 pm 

I'd never heard of him, so I checked out the title track to Blood Alliance by Power Quest and all I have to say is...he sounds retarded. Like actually retarded.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:52 am 

I never understood the interest in those Herman Frank albums.

I can't actually remember what it sounds like...maybe I just didn't give it enough of a chance, but it seems like Rob Rock did the same thing but less generic.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:28 pm 

The Herman Frank albums are basically balls to the wall, vicious heavy metal with lots of guitar pyrotechnics. They're nothing new, but they're great for what they are.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:34 pm 

Loyal to None is in the top 5 best trad metal albums of the 2000s for sure. Just a furious burst of fun. The way they just keep every instrument going on full speed and intensity all the time is admirable. Amazing stuff.

Rob Rock, really good, yeah, but I don't really see a comparison between him and Herman Frank aside from a general one of riffy heavy metal...the mood's just different to me though. They have their own sounds.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:04 pm 

Celtic Frosted Flakes wrote:
I'd like the fastest speed metal you've ever heard. Hit me!

You'll get a lot of varied responses. I'd personally recommend Scanner, Helstar and Rage but this came along for me like a breath of fresh;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbR28B1aM7s

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:09 pm 

Thanks, that was pretty goddamn awesome. I really like the guitarwork in that one.

rooster85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:26 pm 

Can someone tell me difference between blue collar USPM and white collar USPM and give examples of bands to each of these "subgenres"?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:28 pm 

rooster85 wrote:
Can someone tell me difference between blue collar USPM and white collar USPM and give examples of bands to each of these "subgenres"?

I think blue collar means they have less technique and inferior production and white collar means the guitar players practice with a metronome, the singers have taken lessons, and they spent more $ in the studio. :)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 395, 396, 397, 398, 399, 400, 401 ... 625  Next