Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Tengan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:16 am 

Lowtide85 wrote:
Hello everyone, this time I'd like to ask recommendations about currently active female fronted black metal (if it's an all women band, even better) some I know so far are Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult, Atrum Inritus and Divahar.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Check out Adorior. Not purely black metal, rather black/death but sure worth a listen.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:19 am 

Lowtide85 wrote:
Hello everyone, this time I'd like to ask recommendations about currently active female fronted black metal (if it's an all women band, even better) some I know so far are Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult, Atrum Inritus and Divahar.

Gallhammer. They play "old school black metal", if you will, mixed with doom and crust punk. One of my favorite bands right now.
All female!

Lowtide85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:04 am 

Damn, I forgot to mention that I already knew Gallhammer, also as far as I know they kicked one member out and started playing sludge metal...

And as for Adorior I don't really like death metal that much but thanks anyway for the recommendation.

KosherCarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:58 am 

Looking for something to rekindle my interest in the genre. The Ruins of Beverast, Nagelfar and Carpathian Forest (mainly "Black Shining Leather") are the bands I have in heavy rotation right now. Stuff in similar style to any of these are appreciated, although they don't have to be.

crises79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:13 am 

ThePoop wrote:
I got two requests for y'all.

1) Black metal with an uncommon image, in everything from the actual music, band name, album art, lyrical themes, song titles, and the dress of the members. Basically any black metal band, that upon looking at everything on their MA profile (except the genre), no one would guess they played black metal. I suppose good examples would be Njiqahdda, A Pregnant Light, Liturgy, Porta Nigra, Fleurety etc...

Terzij de Horde (NL), Sadhaka (US) or Vallendusk (ID) for instance. They all look like non Black Metal bands, when you see them on stage.

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:50 pm 

Lowtide85 wrote:

Check out Skuldom. Female fronted (that doesn't suck!) with no guitars and all bass. Pretty great stuff.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:14 pm 

Astarte is all female
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Astarte/2233

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:46 pm 

CFF, thank you for Myrkgrav! Excellent stuff. The one album was an awesome listen. Top-notch folkish black metal.

iamntbatman and crises79, I know of A Forest of Stars, Terzij de Horde, Sadhaka and Vallendusk already. All four are particularly great bands though!

Thanks guys.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:14 am 

ThePoop wrote:
I got two requests for y'all.

1) Black metal with an uncommon image, in everything from the actual music, band name, album art, lyrical themes, song titles, and the dress of the members. Basically any black metal band, that upon looking at everything on their MA profile (except the genre), no one would guess they played black metal. I suppose good examples would be Njiqahdda, A Pregnant Light, Liturgy, Porta Nigra, Fleurety etc...

2) Any black metal directly inspired by psychedelics/entheogens. Not just "psychedelic" black metal such as Nachtmystium or Oranssi Pazuzu, but something where the members promote the use of LSD, shrooms, DMT or whatever either by explicitly stating so, or by lyrics. I know of Ossein already. (EDIT: Bonus points if the album art and the music itself is really trippy, man*)

Thanks in advanced gals and guys!

*It's almost impossible to not follow up the word trippy with "man."

DIAPSIQUIR. may fit both requests.

also, for unusual stuff (even though I think it's shit), try TARIHAN.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

peterpessimism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:54 pm 

I'm looking for raw black metal bands. By raw black metal, I mean bands that are called raw black metal on the archives. If you can find any good bands in this genre on the archives i'd appreciate it.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:35 pm 

Here's Ash Pool: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ash_Pool/84163

I'm not a fan, but they are listed as raw black metal and have been highly praised here and many other places. May suit your needs.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:00 am 

peterpessimism wrote:
I'm looking for raw black metal bands. By raw black metal, I mean bands that are called raw black metal on the archives. If you can find any good bands in this genre on the archives i'd appreciate it.

Give some examples of what you've found enjoyable so far. The style is diverse, both in terms of the musical styles and the degree to which it focuses on rawness.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:47 am 

ThePoop wrote:
CFF, thank you for Myrkgrav! Excellent stuff. The one album was an awesome listen. Top-notch folkish black metal.

iamntbatman and crises79, I know of A Forest of Stars, Terzij de Horde, Sadhaka and Vallendusk already. All four are particularly great bands though!

Thanks guys.

No problem, I am a big fan of Myrkgrav myself. One of the few folk metal bands that don't 'overdo' it the way Korpiklaani do.

peterpessimism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:19 am 

peterpessimism wrote:

I heard some songs by a band called 1389 which is Raw NS black metal and found them to be enjoyable. Here's one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK2KOWTIMkU

This is another song by a band called Abime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HSRhBCrhSA

Edd94
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:35 pm 

Hey guys i'm looking for some black metal that kinda resembles the ''classical'' oriented atmosphere that Gorgoroth has, specially in Under the Sign of Hell . Black metal with melodic melodies that Infernus does would be really cool

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:11 pm 

Is no one familiar with anything of my request? Again, I'm looking for black metal or melodic black metal that is heavily organ/church organ driven, such as Kvist, Tartaros, and maybe Obtained Enslavement. I'm sure there are some others that I'm missing, even though I'm realizing that it's a pretty rare feat, haha.

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:13 pm 

Markov wrote:
Is no one familiar with anything of my request? Again, I'm looking for black metal or melodic black metal that is heavily organ/church organ driven, such as Kvist, Tartaros, and maybe Obtained Enslavement. I'm sure there are some others that I'm missing, even though I'm realizing that it's a pretty rare feat, haha.

Quebec Black Metal band Ontos On utilized a lot of church organ in their music. I'm afraid none of their material is on Youtube, but search around for a download of their one and only album "Sombre Chaotic Entrance in the Chasm of Existential Resignation", it's quite excellent.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:23 am 

This question may be a bust but I'll ask anyways. Does anyone know of any gothic/black metal bands that are similar to late 90s/early 00s Rotting Christ? Like a band that picks up right where A Dead Poem, Sleep of the Angels and Khronos left off? Not really black metal with the occasional nod to gothic metal but more like a hybrid of the two with some traditional heavy metal traces.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

crises79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:32 am 

ThePoop wrote:

Thanks guys.

I'll try another two then: Northward and Laster.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:54 am 

Edd94 wrote:
Hey guys i'm looking for some black metal that kinda resembles the ''classical'' oriented atmosphere that Gorgoroth has, specially in Under the Sign of Hell . Black metal with melodic melodies that Infernus does would be really cool

A very difficult request, if you want very high similarity with Gorgoroth. There are lots of bands whose riffing was inspired by Infernus' aesthetic, but hardly anyone emulates his style consistently and well. Italian band Kult copies the approach consistently, but not very well. Some Finnish black metal bands, such as Horna, Behexen, Baptism and Kadotus play in that style occasionally. I'd say Horna's Sanojesi ärelle comes quite close to the atmosphere on Under The Sign, although, to judge the Horna album merely in that light alone would be foolish, as it has its own character and appeal, and in my book, even exceeds the brilliance of the Gorgoroth album.

Finnish band Vitsaus plays a few riffs that sound like Infernus' somewhat folkish tremolo riffs. The atmosphere is completely different though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMLznMCmpE0

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:06 pm 

So, guys, I'm looking for a very specific type of black metal, single songs or albums will definitely do.
What I'm looking for is black metal with a very "driving", distorted bass, loudly mixed. That is probably the coolest sound I know (For an example, listen to Chainsaw Gutsfuck).
Thanks in advance.

Edd94
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:02 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
A very difficult request, if you want very high similarity with Gorgoroth. There are lots of bands whose riffing was inspired by Infernus' aesthetic, but hardly anyone emulates his style consistently and well. Italian band Kult copies the approach consistently, but not very well. Some Finnish black metal bands, such as Horna, Behexen, Baptism and Kadotus play in that style occasionally. I'd say Horna's Sanojesi ärelle comes quite close to the atmosphere on Under The Sign, although, to judge the Horna album merely in that light alone would be foolish, as it has its own character and appeal, and in my book, even exceeds the brilliance of the Gorgoroth album.

Finnish band Vitsaus plays a few riffs that sound like Infernus' somewhat folkish tremolo riffs. The atmosphere is completely different though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMLznMCmpE0

Thanks man, great bands that were mentioned ;)

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:49 pm 

Thanks to those who helped me with my last request! I have another, one that is also based off of one I asked a while back.

I'm looking for a direct clone of Alrakis, or something incredibly similar. The ambient, melodic black metal vibes I get from his works are like nothing I've ever experienced before. It doesn't have to be black metal, even though it's preferred. One band that I've found to be sort of similar is Mare Cognitum, but he's a bit too chaotic to be exactly what I'm looking for.

Along with the space vibe, this song captures exactly the kind of melodies I want.

I am not looking for something like Darkspace, that stuff is way more different, aside from the ambient effects. Darkspace is all "HOLY FUCK WHAT IS THAT BEHIND ME" and Alrakis is like what you hear when you're dying and you're happy with it, haha.

Thanks in advance!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:24 pm 

Hah, well, I wouldn't say it's exactly like Alrakis, but the third EP by the band Ayr that I just reviewed actually captured that exact feeling pretty well.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:09 am 

Edd94 wrote:

I'm a little late so don't know if anyone is still paying attention to this, but I'll try anyway. Under the Sign of Hell is one of the greatest damn BM albums ever and hard to match even when Infernus tried to recreate it and failed, no need to recreate masterpieces. I could listen to "Profetens åpenbaring" and "The Rite of Infernal Invocation" all day long. Aside from Finnish bands Ilwhyan mentioned definitely check out Cirith Gorgor, yeah I know Gorgor is Gorgoroth with 3 letters missing, both bands were named after LOTR. Anyway their early stuff is extremely fast and ridiculously epic and melodic. There's also overlooked Zwartplaag from the Netherlands as well who are a bit more mid-fast paced, but kind of capture a similar feeling. Urgehal from Norway is another one, but I figure most people know them. Endstille and Zorn from Germany may do the trick as well.

Last edited by Sick6Six on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:50 pm 

LordThurisaz wrote:
Hey, I'm trying to find a black metal band with two members, their album covers were always black and white with the two of them on it with all the typical aesthetics [corpse paint, medieval weapons, spikes and a slight tendency towards Immortal esque goofiness], was kinda thrashy, and they were from somewhere in Europe, possibly Russia. Any help for this randomness would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I also seem to remember the band name being two words. Not very helpful I know, but might narrow it down a little bit.

Maniac Butcher?

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:53 pm 

Markov wrote:
Okay guys, I'm looking for something pretty specific... I'm not very aware of many melodic black metal, or many black metal albums that HEAVILY use church organs, even to the extreme of replacing it for a string section. Good examples of this are Kvist's debut, For Kunsten, and most of Tartaros' stuff. Anyone got anything similar? I'm not looking for church organ interludes, but that could be something similar as well.

Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YDXAlpJqJQ
Sadly it doesn't appear much in the rest of the album.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:20 am 

Markov wrote:
Thanks to those who helped me with my last request! I have another, one that is also based off of one I asked a while back.

I'm looking for a direct clone of Alrakis, or something incredibly similar. The ambient, melodic black metal vibes I get from his works are like nothing I've ever experienced before. It doesn't have to be black metal, even though it's preferred. One band that I've found to be sort of similar is Mare Cognitum, but he's a bit too chaotic to be exactly what I'm looking for.

Along with the space vibe, this song captures exactly the kind of melodies I want.

I am not looking for something like Darkspace, that stuff is way more different, aside from the ambient effects. Darkspace is all "HOLY FUCK WHAT IS THAT BEHIND ME" and Alrakis is like what you hear when you're dying and you're happy with it, haha.

Thanks in advance!

Ymir is a band that might appeal to you Markov. The sole member is Nartrum, the same guy behind Emyn Muil etc -

Very good album.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:40 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
Edd94 wrote:

I'm a little late so don't know if anyone is still paying attention to this, but I'll try anyway. Under the Sign of Hell is one of the greatest damn BM albums ever and hard to match even when Infernus tried to recreate it and failed, no need to recreate masterpieces. I could listen to "Profetens åpenbaring" and "The Rite of Infernal Invocation" all day long. Aside from Finnish bands Ilwhyan mentioned definitely check out Cirith Gorgor, yeah I know Gorgor is Gorgoroth with 3 letters missing, both bands were named after LOTR apparently a Cirith Gorgor is a troll, perhaps found in the dark land of Gorgoroth. Anyway their early stuff is extremely fast and ridiculously epic and melodic. There's also overlooked Zwartplaag from the Netherlands as well who are a bit more mid-fast paced, but kind of capture a similar feeling. Urgehal from Norway is another one, but I figure most people know them. Endstille and Zorn from Germany may do the trick as well.

Cirith Gorgor is actually a passage through the mountains surrounding Mordor into the Land of Shadow itself.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:48 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Cirith Gorgor is actually a passage through the mountains surrounding Mordor into the Land of Shadow itself.
Haha really? thanks for clearing that up! I swear I read somewhere that a Cirith Gorgor was a troll, but it's been a long time since I read any of that stuff and my brain has taken lots of heavy hits :brick:
Edit: You're right it says so right on their band page... maybe it used to have incorrect info. derp

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:03 pm 

Oh BTW this Entartung album is awesome, don't know why I haven't listened to it more. Kind of reminds me of early Gorgoroth a bit too

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:17 am 

Entartung is nice, but nothing overly inventive or new. Basic, enjoyable black metal. I agree that much of the riffing is based on the Gorgoroth tradition, although it lacks the blazing tremolo leads.

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:29 pm 

Any black metal similar to Eschaton, Legion of Doom and Nocternity? Greek BM without the "heavy metal" riffs.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:39 am 

I don't follow BM as relegiously as Doom and Death metal so could you recommend me some good BM from this year ? 2013 BM releases I've heard are :-

Aeternus, Altar Of Plagues, Antediluvian, Aosoth, Arckanum, Arsaidh, Ash Borer, Bolzer, Botanist, Christicide, Csejthe, Cultes Des Ghouls, Darkthrone, Deafhaven, Denouncement Pyre, Eibon, Emyn Muil, Eternal Khan, Fanisk, Gukurahundi, Impious Baptism, Impious Blood, Into the Nethermost, Katechon, Koldbrann, Lithotome, Lychgate, Necrosemen, Necrowretch, Njiqahdda, Oldwitch, Path To Ixtab, Paysage d'Hiver, Pensées Nocturnes, Peste Noire, Progenie Terrestre Pura, Regarde les hommes tomber, Rotting Christ, Sacriphyx, Shade Empire, Skagos, Summoning, Svart Crown, Thou Art Lord, Tribulation, Usnea, Whelm.

So, anything worth hearing I haven't heard ?

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:34 pm 

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind wrote:
I don't follow BM as relegiously as Doom and Death metal so could you recommend me some good BM from this year ? 2013 BM releases I've heard are :-

Aeternus, Altar Of Plagues, Antediluvian, Aosoth, Arckanum, Arsaidh, Ash Borer, Bolzer, Botanist, Christicide, Csejthe, Cultes Des Ghouls, Darkthrone, Deafhaven, Denouncement Pyre, Eibon, Emyn Muil, Eternal Khan, Fanisk, Gukurahundi, Impious Baptism, Impious Blood, Into the Nethermost, Katechon, Koldbrann, Lithotome, Lychgate, Necrosemen, Necrowretch, Njiqahdda, Oldwitch, Path To Ixtab, Paysage d'Hiver, Pensées Nocturnes, Peste Noire, Progenie Terrestre Pura, Regarde les hommes tomber, Rotting Christ, Sacriphyx, Shade Empire, Skagos, Summoning, Svart Crown, Thou Art Lord, Tribulation, Usnea, Whelm.

Check out the new Darkestrah -- Manas.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:11 pm 

Could anyone recommend me bands like Drowning the Light? I want DSBM with those classic tremolo riffs and that shitty MIDI keyboard coming in for melodic interludes, creating that uber thick atmosphere (like Drowning the Light's first album)

crises79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:01 pm 

The new Sadhaka (Terma) and Imperium Dekadenz (Meadows of Nostalgia) spring to mind.

I'm still in the process of listening the new Deafheaven for reviewing purposes.

Hymnofwolves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:56 am 

You could give the latest Celestial Bloodshed and Svartsyn a try

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:01 am 

Help threads aren't there for people to drop names with arbitrary criteria like albums released on a certain year. If you want recommendations from me, come up with an actual request, not a damn list.

I should thank you for letting me know that Christicide had a new album out, though.

Motorpriest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:07 am 

Markov wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Holy crap, this is fantastic. Thanks for sharing Markov! I don't have much to offer in the way of a recommendation but I will also join you in requesting more of this type of stuff.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 231  Next