Chozzen Phate
Commandment
Hanker (Canadian)
Winters Bane

dayyanum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:53 pm 

Alright folks, first post here (long time browser):

I'm looking to take my first steps into some solid Heavy Metal but have NO idea where to start.

To be more specific:

I'm coming from listening to tons of death and thrash, so soaring power ballads are not my thing.
I like the ballsier sounding heavy metal, like 'I' (although the vocals don't have to be that harsh)
Something riff-based, with good guitar work
Progressive bands are generally preferred, as I tend to get bored with verses and choruses
I want something catchy and head bangy, like mid-paced thrash
I love blues, so anything that has that southern bluesy vibe to it is more than welcome

I feel like this is a terrible first request, but I just can't think of how to make it more specific because I hardly have anything to base it from.

Thanks all the same!

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:38 pm 

@dayyanum emmm is Blind Guardian to obvious? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyNUT7fbECQ
Maybe Running Wild will do http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foEh4OoCYMU

TheRiddleMaster
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:39 pm 

Good heavy power band Saints 'N' Sinners

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xwvcj1 ... hell_music

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:12 pm 

So Warriors of Metal is coming up the weekend after next, I'm pretty stoked about the lineup this year. Unfortunately a member of Attacker fell off a ladder and they had to pull out, but there's still Steel Assassin, Dantesco, Voltax, and Seax, plus a dozen other bands I'm not familiar with.

Most interesting of all however, James Rivera will be launching his solo act there, playing various tunes from throughout his career plus a few new ones. He's not leaving Helstar but he plans to release an album on Steamhammer/SPV, so I'm really hoping he goes in a more USPM direction than Helstar has been doing lately.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:52 am 

New Rocka Rollas song! New singer. However you have heard him before, I guess...
This song wont be released on any album, it will mostly work as an introduction, we will soon begin recording the real vocals for the albums to come sooner or later...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6WsT5OdUBc

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:55 am 

Dude holy shit, have you put out a single album yet?

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:00 am 

Yeah I wish I could go to warriors of metal this year but my ride backed out on me. I was looking forward to Steel Assassin,Twisted Tower Dire,Seax,Ravage. That's a real bummer about Attacker.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:48 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Dude holy shit, have you put out a single album yet?

Besides the debut, and the upcoming Metal Strikes Back no
But there will be some releases after that too... Can't say too much about it yet but it will be awesome...

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:41 am 

Hey all, I'm looking for some epic metal like current Warlord and Lordian Guard. Big epic keyboard riffs/melodies that you can really sink your teeth into, not just ones that set the mood or atmosphere. Here is an example, at 1:17 - 2:06. Same type of epic guitar riffs too, like at 9:59 to the end of the same song.

Of course, keys that just set atmosphere are welcomed too, but preferably they'd also have those big melodies.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:04 am 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
New Rocka Rollas song! New singer. However you have heard him before, I guess...
This song wont be released on any album, it will mostly work as an introduction, we will soon begin recording the real vocals for the albums to come sooner or later...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6WsT5OdUBc

I really liked that song, but having heard both the new Blazon Stone and Rocka Rollas, that song sounds more suited to Blazon Stone IMO. It isn't because of the vocals, but that might be one reason I'm thinking that.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:13 pm 

Haha I know what you mean and I somewhat agree with you but eh... Can't do anything about it now :)
There will be less Running Wild like things on future Rollas material tho

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:33 pm 

Fans of hopefully up-and-coming band, Eternal Champion, should check out this live version of their latest song.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:07 pm 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
Haha I know what you mean and I somewhat agree with you but eh... Can't do anything about it now :)
There will be less Running Wild like things on future Rollas material tho

That was the impression I got from Metal Strikes Back, which is probably why I thought this was more suited to Blazon Stone. Also, the chorus in this song has lots of stuff going on, which reminds me of "Curse of the Ghost Ship", among others from the Blazon Stone record.

Either way, I like everything you've released under RR and BS, so keep it up :D

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:46 pm 

Why is there such a lack of power metal being mixed with either folk or viking metal?

I mean, I think mixing viking and power could literally be so epic my eardrums would burst, blood would flow from my face, I would grow a flowing beard of epic locks braided like a celtic knot, and Odin himself would approve.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:22 pm 

Doomed Cowboy wrote:
Why is there such a lack of power metal being mixed with either folk or viking metal?

I mean, I think mixing viking and power could literally be so epic my eardrums would burst, blood would flow from my face, I would grow a flowing beard of epic locks braided like a celtic knot, and Odin himself would approve.

Agreed 100%! Unfortunately the only band I know of that fits this is the german one man project crom headed by former dark fortress guitar player Walter "crom" grosse; viking ish chants mixed with power metal (not the keyboard based kind). I'm hoping you get some responses for that one too.

So, I finally got around to listening to virgin steele's latest album and empyreal nailed it. The first 4 songs are great but it kind of just pointlessly meanders around without any good hooks or riffs at all for most of the rest of the album, there's a few riffs or parts that stick out after the first for but no completely enjoyable songs. What a dissapointment. Oh well, visions of eden was really good while still being a bit proggy, this didn't nail that at all. It feels like left over interludes and bad songs from house of aterus II.

Anyway, anyone know of good, straightforward female fronted power metal? A lot of the female fronted acts who's names get thrown around kind of seem to edge to the gothic, operatic or symphonic side (symphonic is fine, if it's more dragonland/rhaposdy as opposed to nightwish) what i'm looking for is just normal power metal that happens to have a female vocalist. The only example I can think of dark moor; I know of ancient bards but even with them some of the instrumentals get pushed aside somewhat to showcase the female vocalist. I'll definitely give it another listen, but I'm mainly looking for other examples. Thanks in advance.

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:39 pm 

I've heard of Huntress, but I've also always heard that they sucked. Black Knights stuff had a female singer, although they never released a full album, just some EPs and a demo. (There is a compilation.)

Female fronted metal that doesn't use operatic vocals can be hard to find. In the rare case I find it, its a doom metal band with occult lyrics. Been there done that too many times.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:13 pm 

Evangelion2014 wrote:
Anyway, anyone know of good, straightforward female fronted power metal? A lot of the female fronted acts who's names get thrown around kind of seem to edge to the gothic, operatic or symphonic side (symphonic is fine, if it's more dragonland/rhaposdy as opposed to nightwish) what i'm looking for is just normal power metal that happens to have a female vocalist. The only example I can think of dark moor; I know of ancient bards but even with them some of the instrumentals get pushed aside somewhat to showcase the female vocalist. I'll definitely give it another listen, but I'm mainly looking for other examples. Thanks in advance.

You might enjoy Beautiful Sin and Triosphere. They're pretty much exactly what you're asking for.

Also, how could I forget fuckin' Battle Beast?!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:07 pm 

Evangelion2014 wrote:
So, I finally got around to listening to virgin steele's latest album and empyreal nailed it. The first 4 songs are great but it kind of just pointlessly meanders around without any good hooks or riffs at all for most of the rest of the album, there's a few riffs or parts that stick out after the first for but no completely enjoyable songs. What a dissapointment. Oh well, visions of eden was really good while still being a bit proggy, this didn't nail that at all. It feels like left over interludes and bad songs from house of aterus II.

It still kinda pisses me off when they have a song like some of the ones on there, the title track and what not, which start off riffy and awesome like the old stuff, and then just become boring prog nonsense. What a waste.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:18 pm 

Evangelion2014 wrote:

If you're not adverse to Japanese stuff, give these a shot:

Light Bringer:
Hyperion
Resistance
Noah

Onmyo-Za:
(more heavy than power, but worth hearing anyway)
Kokui no Tennyo
Aoki Dokugan
Mizuchi No Miko (live)
Kureha
Kishibojin (live)
Kikoku (live)

Aldious:
Spirit Black
Mermaid

Mary's Blood:
Burning Blaze

VRAIN:
Shooot!!
Misty

MinstreliX:
(old stuff only, the female vocalist left after "Reflections")
Maria
Sky Flame

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:47 am 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Fans of hopefully up-and-coming band, Eternal Champion, should check out this live version of their latest song.

Lol wait what the fuck, I was at this show and I thought they only played their two first songs. I didn't even know this song existed. How the hell did I miss the fact that they played 3 songs instead of 2?
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:26 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Hey all, I'm looking for some epic metal like current Warlord and Lordian Guard. Big epic keyboard riffs/melodies that you can really sink your teeth into, not just ones that set the mood or atmosphere. Here is an example, at 1:17 - 2:06. Same type of epic guitar riffs too, like at 9:59 to the end of the same song.

Of course, keys that just set atmosphere are welcomed too, but preferably they'd also have those big melodies.

I would check out ADRAMELCH - Broken History.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:53 pm 

I'm in the need of more totally uplifting (even up to the point others may label as ridiculously uplifting :wink: ) power metal like
Freedom Call's song "Warriors". Obviously it has to be super catchy. Use of cheesy (but not baroque-esque!) keyboards would be
preferred, too. The feeling of "good", "light" and "rainbows" should ooze from the songs, hehe...

Bands in that vein I know of are Power Quest (whose album "Neverworld" ranks among my faves), of course Gamma Ray etc.
Besides the mentioned song "Warriors" from FC other songs fitting my criteria are "Temple of Fire" (Power Quest), "Touch the
Rainbow" (Axxis), "Hunting high and low" (Stratovarius) and some Sabaton. But said "Warriors" being my personal epitome
of uprising-ness. Thanks in advance!

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:18 pm 

Check out Lost Horizon - Pure. Pretty much my go-to band when I want ridiculously uplifting europower metal :)

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:52 pm 

grauer_mausling wrote:
I'm in the need of more totally uplifting (even up to the point others may label as ridiculously uplifting :wink: ) power metal like
Freedom Call's song "Warriors". Obviously it has to be super catchy. Use of cheesy (but not baroque-esque!) keyboards would be
preferred, too. The feeling of "good", "light" and "rainbows" should ooze from the songs, hehe...

This always gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling.

If you haven't heard Timeless Miracle's album "Into the Enchanted Chamber", give that a shot sometime too. Its one of the better happy power metal albums I've heard (pity they vanished off the face of the planet).

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:02 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Evangelion2014 wrote:

It still kinda pisses me off when they have a song like some of the ones on there, the title track and what not, which start off riffy and awesome like the old stuff, and then just become boring prog nonsense. What a waste.

It's not just that. David's vocal lines are also pretty shitty. I read he felt like approaching the songs with an open mind and hence he does all that crazy stuff instead of regular, ''more direct'' singing as on the earlier albums. Funny enough ''The Bread of Wickedness'' and ''Torture of the Damned'' which are some of the softer songs, actually have the loudest and more straightforward singing on the album. I'd say the first half of the album definitely sounds a bit more inspired than the latter. Still, I wonder what the album would have sounded like with better vocals.

I've been listening to Tad Morose's Matters of the Dark and Modus Vivendi and I feel they both lack something. Definitely not as great as Undead I'd say, which besides some small flaws kicks some absolutely ass.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:01 am 

Perdition666 wrote:
grauer_mausling wrote:

This always gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling.

If you haven't heard Timeless Miracle's album "Into the Enchanted Chamber", give that a shot sometime too. Its one of the better happy power metal albums I've heard (pity they vanished off the face of the planet).

just checked the title song of that Timeless Miracle album - great stuff and kind of exactly what I was looking for. Great chorus! Thanks.

Lost Horizon were also quite okay as were Galneryus but TM was best of the three recs.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:51 am 

Speaking of Timeless Miracle, you might also enjoy Timeless Hall. Not as flowery, but still very uplifting and very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oojDJvX6e1Q

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:55 am 

grauer_mausling wrote:
totally uplifting power metal

Nocturnal Rites with Anders Zachrisson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... V0Iw#t=82s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlJli0QyhJ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL-EtGG6Fjc

You can never go wrong with the Italians:
Highlord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZxD_d6AhH0
Arthemis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmk9JxjC-8o

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:46 am 

grauer_mausling wrote:
just checked the title song of that Timeless Miracle album - great stuff and kind of exactly what I was looking for. Great chorus! Thanks.

Lost Horizon were also quite okay as were Galneryus but TM was best of the three recs.

Here's a few more:

Unicorn "Avylonia" (only good song off that album, sadly)

This might be too poppy...

Some of Light Bringer's stuff is pretty goddamn happy too:
Dream!
Love you ♡
Venus

Orden Ogan "We Are Pirates!" (you may already know this, but if not, this is pretty fun stuff)

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:09 pm 

Thanks, Unicorn and Nocturnal Rites were very good. Think I have to give both a further listen.
The whole japanese stuff wasn't sth for me, mainly because of the vocals (not the language but the actual voice).

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:02 pm 

grauer_mausling wrote:
Nocturnal Rites were very good.

Don't hesitate to check out later Nocturnal Rites album, without Zachrisson on vocals. Still fantastic power metal, just not that blatantly uplifting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-ASCUz5Sdc

The only album to stay away from is their latest (last) one; The 8th Sin.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:08 pm 

"Afterlife" was pretty cool - sounds like a completely different band though. Fairly dark/ghoulish vibe in places, IMO.

On a side note, it looks like my pre-order for Hibria's new CD "Silent Revenge" is going to ship soon (along with the Japanese pressings for Satan "Life Sentence", last 2 Vicious Rumors, Death Dealer + others). Hopefully this album will be good...

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:27 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
Hibria's new CD "Silent Revenge"

Speaking of Hibria, I'd like to recommend Chaos Asylum.
There's something about them that reminds me of Hibria, can't quite put my finger on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmjnTUycxYc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RffOmBI7j20

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:27 pm 

Something with the vocals kinda reminded me Hibria, come to think of it. This stuff sounds promising - if the entire album is as good as the samples, I'll have to order this sometime.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:32 pm 

I also agree with you guys that "Afterlife" was a very good album. Didn't enjoy their other ones though.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:24 am 

Afterlife was one of my first metal albums :D
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:40 am 

I really love Shadowland, and New World Messiah is a good album too. I haven't really played Afterlife all that much to be honest.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:33 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I really love Shadowland, and New World Messiah is a good album too. I haven't really played Afterlife all that much to be honest.

New World Messiah is my favourite Lindqvist album. The drumming is considerably better on it, and Lindqvist sounds 100% like a metal singer, whereas on the other albums he sounds like a hard rock singer in a metal band (which he is). There's aggressivity and anger in his voice.

As a side note, NR is one of my all time favourite bands, although there's something about Zachrisson that just hits the spot for me.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:30 pm 

Zackrisson's best work was definitely with Gotham City. Some really excellent, catchy heavy metal, some of the best to some out of the whole NWOSHM scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NCztDFG-f4

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 394, 395, 396, 397, 398, 399, 400 ... 624  Next