Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:43 pm 

Try Dismember's Death Metal album.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Aikanaro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:48 am 

Cloud0129 wrote:
There such a thing as Thrashy Brutal Death?

Like if Vader and Disgorge/Severe Torture were to make a supergroup together or something related to the idea.

Try Flayed Disciple

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:35 pm 

looking for shit like Death Strike. What I mainly like about it are the short songs, punky drumming, production, speckman's ridiculously echoed and rough vocals and the energy behind it all. not looking for master, not looking for modern day boring hell hammer clones, etc.

"the truth" is probably the best example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD0pGJFAtWA

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

DreamOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:40 pm 

I'd recommend Ripping Corpse and Merciless. Both are old-school death/thrash gems that deserve more attention.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:00 pm 

DreamOfDarkness wrote:
I'd recommend Ripping Corpse and Merciless. Both are old-school death/thrash gems that deserve more attention.

Not really digging Merciless. Too death metally, a bit boring. Ripping Corpse are cool, wish they were a little less metal with the leads and solos. Oh well, thanks!

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:07 pm 

Solstice is a good recommendation here, although they have a strong death metal presence. Still, Rob Barrett's vocals on the S/T debut sound very similar, albeit more "grunting". They even cover Carnivore on that album! ;)

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:07 am 

Nargodath wrote:
I'm sure this is a very common request, but I know next to nothing about DM. Can anyone recommend stuff similar to the first two Amorphis albums or the more straighforward parts of early Finntroll? Melodic DM with really good melodies, tight riffs, and harsh vocals?

Sentenced's first album was among the first death metal albums I got into. Edge Of Sanity was another - check out Crimson and Purgatory Afterglow. Normally I'd recommend Unorthodox first, but Purgatory Afterglow is more accessible, and Crimson is simply mindblowing.

Actually, Crimson was likely the first death metal album I really loved.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:08 pm 

I'm on the lookout for crust/death metal (or any death/punk really) along the lines of Black Breath, Acephalix, Cancer Spreading, Mammoth Grinder etc. I'm not too picky, really, but as a reference this was the song I was listening to that prompted me to make the request:

Spoiler: show

Actually, another band I'm enjoying along these death/crust lines is Elitist (particularly the Fear in a Handful of Dust album). They're listed here as sludge/death/crust/grindcore, so I guess if you know of any death/sludge bands that sound similar toss them my way too :D

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:48 pm 

Gypaetus wrote:
I'm on the lookout for crust/death metal (or any death/punk really) along the lines of Black Breath, Acephalix, Cancer Spreading, Mammoth Grinder etc. I'm not too picky, really, but as a reference this was the song I was listening to that prompted me to make the request:

Try Gasmask: http://gasmaskclevo.bandcamp.com/

Edit: Primitive Man might fit your other request actually: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vZBEPjpcHo

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:08 pm 

Gasmask was pretty interesting, thanks! The music gets a big thumbs up from me, but I'm not quite sold on the vocalist. Either way, it's pretty good - I'm grabbing it off bandcamp now. Any idea if/when they'll release a full length? I'd love to hear what these guys are capable of in a more fleshed out release.

Thanks for the other suggestion, but I'm already familiar with Primitive Man (awesome band that). I'd like to hear any more recs you have though, you're spot on with what I had in mind with those requests.

Zero_Nowhere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:30 pm 

Gypaetus wrote:

More death/punk than anything, but there's currently a burgeoning scene in mixing swedeath elements and hardcore - sometimes with a dash of grind or sludge/crust. Bands like Trap Them, Nails, Harms Way and Xibalba.

Actual death/crust is a bit rarer, IME.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:18 am 

I'm familiar with Xibalba and Trap them (Xibalba's great - the guitar tone and emphasis on the low end of the guitars reminds me a little of Admiral Angry), but not Harms way and Nails. I think I may have listened to them a while ago and they weren't my thing, but I'll have a shot at them again. I'm happy to check out whatever people throw my way, but as a personal preference I'd rather find metal bands with punk influence, than punk bands with metal influence, if that makes sense. I'm after 'actual death/crust' as you put it, and you're right - there doesn't seem to be too many bands playing that style of music.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:52 pm 

Gypaetus wrote:

Actually, another band I'm enjoying along these death/crust lines is Elitist (particularly the Fear in a Handful of Dust album). They're listed here as sludge/death/crust/grindcore, so I guess if you know of any death/sludge bands that sound similar toss them my way too :D

Stormcrow is a band you might like. They mix elements of Crust punk with Death Metal and are pretty good.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:46 am 

Along the same lines as Stormcrow, check out Sanctum. Also give Oral and Nuclear Death Terror a listen.

Zero_Nowhere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:23 am 

Can't believe I blanked on them, but there's also Skaven. Might be a bit too doomy though.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:51 am 

Opus wrote:
maidenpriestmanic wrote:
I am looking for melodic death metal bands that does both clean (preferable power metal style vocals) and harsh vocals in the same song kinda like into eternity and wintersun.

Well, there's the Geneticsis album by Under Moonlight Sadness, but that not on Youtube apparently. I will upload it, get back to you.

How about Eternal Tears of Sorrow? They are not that much death metal, but there's both cleans and growls.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uultMsifhRw

Ooh ooh almost forgot; Satariel! Death metal with Messiah Marcolin on vocals, doesn't get better than that, does it?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCp-v1Rj5ec

I'll take the opportunity to spam Desultor here as well; proper death metal with clean vocals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st0WoXijb8s

I uploaded Geneticsis, at long last. Progressive death metal from Mexico. Clean vocals by Mario Montano from Calvaria. Great use of keyboards on this one. For some reason it reminds me of Edge of Sanity.
Hope you enjoy it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ5THEaoimk

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:20 pm 

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll get back to you shortly as I haven't had a chance to check out the bands you recommended yet.

ketreeh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:51 pm 

Hi. Noob in death metal here, but I realized that I really enjoy some of the old school death metal songs with a doomy touch, so maybe is there anyone who can recommend more ? Something between thergothon and this maybe ? (i like the production)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik4oNGK9cBE

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:35 pm 

ketreeh wrote:
Hi. Noob in death metal here, but I realized that I really enjoy some of the old school death metal songs with a doomy touch, so maybe is there anyone who can recommend more ? Something between thergothon and this maybe ? (i like the production)

Check the last page before this one (190) and go to the posts by a user named "sourlows". Check his posts and ours responding to him. I think you'll find some very entertaining bands. ;)

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:05 am 

ketreeh wrote:

Out of the bands recommended that I've listened to, I'd say Encoffination is probably something you'd like to hear. Death/doom with nice fuzzy/distant sounding production (at least on their latest EP, which is what I'm listening to) that is definitely a throwback to the production on the Rippikoulu and Thergothon material.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWF2S36TrOM

ketreeh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:26 am 

androdion wrote:
ketreeh wrote:

Check the last page before this one (190) and go to the posts by a user named "sourlows". Check his posts and ours responding to him. I think you'll find some very entertaining bands. ;)

Thank you, I will.

sourlows wrote:
Out of the bands recommended that I've listened to, I'd say Encoffination is probably something you'd like to hear. Death/doom with nice fuzzy/distant sounding production (at least on their latest EP, which is what I'm listening to) that is definitely a throwback to the production on the Rippikoulu and Thergothon material.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWF2S36TrOM

I already know Encoffination, but still, thanks for reminding me about them.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:48 am 

Thanks for the recs everyone. I'm familiar with (and love) Stormcrow - I should have included them in the list of bands I had in mind with this request haha. As for the bands I wasn't familiar with:

@ Zero_Nowhere:
Harms way: I checked out a few songs from the album 'Isolation' and was quite impressed, so thanks for this!

Nails: A bit more hit and miss for me. The longer songs like Suum Cuique and Depths were awesome and just what I was after! However, I find the shorter tracks really frustrating to listen to. It feels as though they're over before they really get started (I have a love/hate relationship with quite a bit of grindcore because of this haha). I think these this band will be a grower, if I can get past the short track lengths of some of their stuff I can see myself loving them.

Skaven: There is no such thing as too doomy my friend ;) though my opinion on Skaven's a little mixed. I'm not sure what it is about them exactly - on paper they're something I should love, but it's just not clicking with me like I thought it would.

@iamntbatman:

Sanctum: :love: I listened to a few songs from their 2008 album - impressive! I love the vocals on this - not typical of crust/death it seems, but it works really well. As an aside, Sancum's listed as Thrash/Death/Crustcore. Is there a difference between Crust and Crustcore? Doesn't matter either way, this band's awesome.

Oral: I have no idea what to make of this band, to be honest. It seems like this band has an odd combination of quality riffs, but they just don't seem to come together properly, as the songs themselves aren't that great.

Nuclear Death Terror: These guys were pretty good, thanks! Might take a bit to grow on me though, but I'll definitely check them out further.

If anyone has any more recommendations I'm more than happy to hear about them - you've all been a great help so thanks very much!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:56 am 

Oh! You should also check out Bones (the American one with ex-Usurper members), Bombs of Hades, Sepulchre, Hellcrawler. Maybe Ilsa? Some people also really dig that Corpus Vile band (more like death/doom/crust) but I wasn't all that impressed with them. Maybe also try Sweden's Miasmal.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:30 am 

More recs! Sweet, thanks iamnbatman. Hope I'm not boring anyone with my long responses, but I figured if people are spending the time thinking of bands I can check out, the least I can do is give a decent bit of feedback. As always, if anyone else has any other recommendations to throw my way by all means do so, the responses so far have been gold. Anyway, onto the bands:

Bones: These guys remind me of Black Breath in a few ways, and elicited an immediate "dude, this shit is awesome" response from me. Really good stuff.

Bombs of Hades: I listened to these guys when I first saw your post, and was kind of indifferent to them. Listening again now they're much, much more appealing to me, so I have no idea why I didn't like them at first listen :scratch:

Sepulchre: I checked out their EP, 'I'. I liked this a lot more than I thought I would considering the short song lengths, but it was a little hit and miss. The songs on this EP gel together nicely so it feels a bit like a single 15 minute epic, but the riff quality is inconsistent. The opening track Wolves was stellar though - wish they'd fleshed that track out a bit more.

Hellcrawler: I liked what I heard, but they didn't really blow me away. The melodic solos that popped up occasionally worked surprisingly well though!

Ilsa: Instruments: Pretty good. Production: Really well done, it has that bludgeoning quality to it that I'm an absolute sucker for. Vocalist: Bleh. I might revisit these guys another time - another case of something that, on paper, I'd be all over, but for some reason I just didn't enjoy this band much.

Corpus vile: Not a fan. I get what they're trying to do, but it falls pretty flat for me.

Miasmal: Definitely more on the death metal side (not that I mind at all), but the crust influence that's there really works well. I'm really not sure whether I liked this or Bones more.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:17 pm 

Anyone digging on Mammoth Grinder and similar jams should give the latest Hatred Surge record a listen.
http://ironlungpv.bandcamp.com/album/hu ... rdose-lp-2
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Mechanix11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:38 pm 

Are there any band with guitar riffs or drums like Demolition Hammer?
Like a DH but on Death Metal version

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:54 pm 

Hypnosia (swe)?

Mechanix11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:08 pm 

Inspector_Satan wrote:
Hypnosia (swe)?

I think it's not the sound i'm looking for but it's an awesome band too, thanks for the suggestion
Also i know DH its more like death/thrash, but i would like to hear a more death metal elements

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:20 pm 

Mechanix11 wrote:
Inspector_Satan wrote:
Hypnosia (swe)?

I think it's not the sound i'm looking for but it's an awesome band too, thanks for the suggestion
Also i know DH its more like death/thrash, but i would like to hear a more death metal elements

Try Merciless' The Awakening. Although I'd have to question why people think DH is more "deathy" than "thrashy". Sure it's pretty brutal, but there's a lot of brutal thrash from that category that doesn't crossover into death metal. They just happen to play thrash with a much faster pace and an incredibly pissed off attitude.

Mechanix11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:27 pm 

Merciless sounds awesome, thanks for the recommendation! :headbang:
Also Malevolent Creation have some of the sound i'm looking for.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:53 pm 

Gypaetus wrote:

Heh, funny, your thoughts on those bands come pretty close to mirroring my own. Bones, apart from just being really fucking cool and having great riffs, are something I really enjoy due to the really old-school production technique of having the single-tracked guitar panned way out to one side and the filthy, fuzzy bass panned out to the other side. It's not as crushing a mix as a lot of bands that opt for center-balanced bass and heaps of guitar, but it does allow you to hear the nuances of the instruments really well and gives the whole thing a more "live in a room" feeling that I dig.

Yeah, Miasmal are definitely a death metal band with crust influences, that's for sure.

Which Ilsa did you listen to? I wasn't really as impressed with their new album. Both full-lengths have a similar style but the new one just didn't have as many memorable riffs. Same vocals on both, though, so if that was a big turn-off don't expect different :P

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:01 pm 

I'm assuming this goes here, so if I'm wrong please point me in the right direction.

Right, so I'm looking for some melodic death metal, with understandable growls. The instrumentation still needs to be there, of course, and I like stuff where I can here the NWOBHM influence, whenever possible. Keyboard is all right, as long as it doesn't get too sugary.

Growls I like: Amon Amarth (More recent albums, although understandable earlier on they are a bit rough for my taste), Dark Tranquility, Ex Deo, Insomnium
Growls I don't like: Bel'akor (So good otherwise!), Gates of Ishtar

I'm also a fan of thrash/death on the thrashier side, if there's anything in that direction you would want to suggest.

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:39 am 

In terms of thrash/death you might like The Scourger. Blind Date with Violence in particular was an album I enjoyed when I was into that style. Their music is pretty melodic. http://youtu.be/IxxbnHSQNv0
If you like things a little more vintage, check out Invocator's Excursion Demise. Classic thrash/death (well... mostly thrash) album that is technical to the point of novelty at times. http://youtu.be/Ml6iQq189F0

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:05 am 

@iamntbatman: Haha, I see. Yeah, Bones really are just fucking cool, it's a good way of putting it :P Interesting to hear that about how it's mixed, I thought the production sounded different (in a good way).

Regarding Ilsa, I had a listen to a song from the 2012 album Intoxicantations, and a couple from Tutti il something something (2010 I think). The main issue I have with this band's vocals is how they're mixed, not the actual vocal style or anything. They just seem to be mixed in a way where they're just a little too predominant to fade into the other instruments, but not predominant enough to be heard clearly over the music. Turning up the vocals in the mix a tiny bit, or down a tiny bit would get rid of the issue for me, it's just that middle ground they've got that's irritating. It made me spend all my time listening to them getting irritated that not only can I not hear the vocals properly, but some of the riffs are drowned out because of the vocals.

It might be a youtube thing, but as I'd listened to Bones just before checking out Ilsa, I found myself comparing the two directly and Ilsa just didn't hold up.

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:23 pm 

sourlows wrote:
In terms of thrash/death you might like The Scourger. Blind Date with Violence in particular was an album I enjoyed when I was into that style. Their music is pretty melodic. http://youtu.be/IxxbnHSQNv0
If you like things a little more vintage, check out Invocator's Excursion Demise. Classic thrash/death (well... mostly thrash) album that is technical to the point of novelty at times. http://youtu.be/Ml6iQq189F0

Scourger is good, Invocator's vocals are meh.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:08 pm 

Doomed Cowboy wrote:
I'm assuming this goes here, so if I'm wrong please point me in the right direction.

Right, so I'm looking for some melodic death metal, with understandable growls. The instrumentation still needs to be there, of course, and I like stuff where I can here the NWOBHM influence, whenever possible. Keyboard is all right, as long as it doesn't get too sugary.

Growls I like: Amon Amarth (More recent albums, although understandable earlier on they are a bit rough for my taste), Dark Tranquility, Ex Deo, Insomnium
Growls I don't like: Bel'akor (So good otherwise!), Gates of Ishtar

I'm also a fan of thrash/death on the thrashier side, if there's anything in that direction you would want to suggest.

For melodic death: Try Obtenebris and Grailknights, the growls are very understandable.
For thrash/death: HMKids has some thrashy songs, try For Khorne, Cadia, and Tzeentch.

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

DemonX99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:19 pm 

Hey guys, I'm looking for some fast as hell Melodic Death metal; perfect example is Vornagar's "The Bleeding Holocaust." Very fast and filled with blasts, but still really catchy. Thanks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob17u2zcyS4

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:24 am 

^ Inferi comes to mind. You could also check out Bloodshot Dawn (more thrashy though). I checked the archives and found this thread :)
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=92980

DemonX99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:26 am 

shouvince wrote:
^ Inferi comes to mind. You could also check out Bloodshot Dawn (more thrashy though). I checked the archives and found this thread :)
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=92980

Thanks so much :)

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:52 am 

Thanks to all who answered my previous request. Some recs hit the nail on the head, some didn't, but most importantly I discovered new bands I enjoyed.

I have another request. I'm looking for more stuff very much like Dead Congregation. Down-tuned heavy tremolo riffs with very thick production. If there are any aongs like Teeth Into Red, I will really, really appreciate it. Father Befouled is almost there, but the production should be heavier, rather than reverby and cavernous. Disma and Desolate Shrine aren't what I'm looking for.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194 ... 289  Next