* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:05 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
The Cabin in the Woods (Finally got around to giving this a proper viewing. Surprisingly good though I thought the ending/reason for the whole thing was dumb.)

This reminds me that I watched this about a month ago but never brought it up here. It was alright, but I think it was a victim of the Whedon-hype (maybe it's because I never watched Buffy or Firefly, but the idolization of the man seems a little far fetched). It wasn't bad I guess, but I don't like how all the really cliche parts were kinda lampshaded (yeah it's cliche on purpose! lol so clever!) and took up a big portion of the movie, while all the new, creative bits were relatively downplayed until the final act. There's this cool conspiracy going on, there are all these things they could do, but nope, really boring cliche undead thing. The last act was really good though (though the ending was kinda flat, I feel), and I wish more of the movie had played with that.

While yes, the cliche parts were just that, I thought the representation of them being orchestrated and all the characters acting in the "typical" horror movie fashion due to the conspiracy's hand in the game was interesting. I totally agree that the final act was the best part... I just really hated the whole ending.

Spoiler: show
These acts are happening as some sort of ancient ritual to keep old gods at bay from destroying the earth. It was really painful as soon as they got to the ritual room.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:03 pm 

The Package-When a mob enforcer agrees to safeguard delivery of a strange package to his boss' friend, he finds a rival gang of assassins on his tail and tries to keep them from preventing him from doing his assignment so he can leave the business for good. An exceptionally enjoyable offering that manages to get a lot of good out of such a cliche motive for the action to happen here. There's a ton of confrontations here as such a storyline dictates would occur, and when it's as a gunfight this is immensely enjoyable due to the heavy amount of firepower wielded in the scenes as rapid-fire machine-guns, assault rifles and even airplane-mounted guns are brought to bear in the situation which causes a lot of fun. It's when it stops and becomes a series of fist-fights that it loses a little steam as the hero battles simply by throwing fists while the aggressor display enough martial arts manuevers that his triumph doesn't look like him hanging tough and overcoming the odds but rather screenplay contrivance that allows him to continue on or else the movie would be over, and it just feels a little unrealistic. Despite that, they're still fun to watch and keep the energy going to compensate for such a lame reasoning as to why this all occurred, but as long as that doesn't bother you this is a lot of fun.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:29 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
(maybe it's because I never watched Buffy or Firefly, but the idolization of the man seems a little far fetched).

So how do you know it's far fetched if you haven't seen what he's best known for then? Cabin in the Woods, while a lot of fun, is really one of his lesser works overall. If that's all you've seen, you're basically getting the diet version of what he's usually doing. Though I'm not sure you'd like any of his other stuff all that much anyway, the question remains.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:42 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
(maybe it's because I never watched Buffy or Firefly, but the idolization of the man seems a little far fetched).

So how do you know it's far fetched if you haven't seen what he's best known for then? Cabin in the Woods, while a lot of fun, is really one of his lesser works overall. If that's all you've seen, you're basically getting the diet version of what he's usually doing. Though I'm not sure you'd like any of his other stuff all that much anyway, the question remains.

Maybe it's just me, but idol worship usually turns me off if I'm inundated before checking out the work of my own accord. It's why I'm so resistant to ever watching Doctor Who. I realize it's unfair of me to say that, but a lot of the praise for when the film came out seemed to have Whedon's name tacked onto it. Not that that's uncommon for the director to get a huge amount of credit for his/her films, but it still soured me a bit.

Granted, that isn't why I found the movie underwhelming, because I really liked the last act, I just wish the first half of the movie was as engaging/creative.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:53 pm 

I'm generally turned away by too much hype and fan love, but, in Whedon's case, a lot of the praise is justified; you have to watch 'Firefly' before you can make a judgement about that.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:03 pm 

The point is that the hype turned me off so I didn't watch it until it'd been out for about a year, and I thought it had a neat idea but didn't really capitalize on it until the final stretch, which was a bit disappointing. It wasn't a bad movie at all, I just kinda wish there were some changes, that's all.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:55 pm 

Angel is the best thing Whedon ever did, but Buffy and Doctor Horrible are close. Firefly is also really good, though only about half the episodes really reached the potential it had going. If it had had longer, it probably would have been up there with his other best stuff. If you think really "ironic"/meta/self-parodying stuff is bad, then you probably won't like any of it, but really he does such a great job at creating characters and drama that I can never stay away. I'm just a sucker for that stuff.

World War Z - 0/5

This is horrible. Take the worst zombie movie cliches and do them up with extra incompetence, mumbling dialogue and bland, lifeless character writing. Really with zombie movies it's tough, because you either do something totally avant garde and dramatic or you go the comedic route: anything else is compared to Night of the Living Dead and the other classics. This movie is just the bottom of the barrel. The camera shakes non stop to the point where it feels more like an amusement park ride than a movie (oh and let's not forget the non-stop EXTREEEEME CLOSE UPS, DUDE! shots...ugh, good luck actually seeing anything going on), and everything is so boring and lifeless that I felt myself turning into a zombie as I watched it. The fact that they underused an excellent first-rate actress like Mireille Enos was one thing, but then the shameless Pepsi ad at the end was just the final straw, a huge insult to the viewers they had already been stringing along all movie anyway. It's literally just a slap in the fucking face. A worthless waste of time.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:35 pm 

Just finished re-watching Dead Man. Great movie! Jim Jarmusch's slow, atmospheric directing and cryptic dialog is very much in place. Robby Müller's slow shots capture the amazing locations very well. It's a movie that makes sense more through feeling than through thinking, chronicling the protagonist's journey west and toward his own death. The acting is great, there's a lot of really dark humor, and the attention to realism in depicting the Native American tribes was especially appreciated, as was the filthy, brutal vision of the old west. I liked how the violence essentially lacked all drama, instead being very abrupt, decisive, and realistic. Recommended, as long as you're ready for a slow-paced movie and don't go in expecting an action adventure western.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:09 am 

That's In my top 3 westerns or sure. Love the desolate style and soundtrack. So much gorgeous imagery and symbolism.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:13 am 

@FSM Fun fact (that you probably know but someone here may not): the neologism "acid western" was coined by Chicago Reader film critic Jonathan Rosenbaum as a descriptor of Dead Man. It's interesting because most films now deemed "acid westerns" were created long before the term actually existed.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:59 am 

Ah, I'd heard the term before, both in reference to Dead Man and other, earlier films, but I hadn't heard it was invented specifically to describe Dead Man and similar films retroactively. Definitely enjoy that subgenre of western, at any rate.

Pyroclasm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:19 am 

Recently watched WuXia (Dragon) and Old Boy on Netflix. Both of the movies are worth the watch. Wu Xia is a sick Donnie Yen Kung-Fu/Mystery movie, and Old Boy is somewhere along the lines of a Pulp Fiction-esque movie, though its actually somewhat disturbing.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:53 am 

Cloud Atlas - 1/5 An overly long, confusing mess. Not one character is developed beyond the 'trying to guess who it's supposed to be the reincarnation of' stage, and consequently the empathy you're clearly supposed to have for... something... is not there. Dull from start to finish, and justifiably a flop. Oh, and there's one scene on another planet or something, where there are two moons in the sky, and one is full while the other is a crescent. This bugged the shit out of me.

World War Z - 3.5/5 Saw this last night, in a very cushy newly remodeled theater. It's in 3D, and like all 3D movies it doesn't need it. It's just a gimmick so they can charge you more. Anyone who is a fan of the book should not expect much. There is very little in common with the book except the title and the general worldwide-zombie-outbreak idea. If you've read the book, you know it's unfilmable, so if you're wondering how they managed it, the answer is they didn't. It's just a Brad Pitt action movie.

It's really not that bad of a Brad Pitt action movie though. Good apocalyptic scenes, good pace to most of the action. The pace comes to a screeching halt about 75% of the way though, which is really annoying. They threw in a unique way of dealing with the zombies, which was neat and I liked. The foul cries of putrid horrible corporate product placement blahblah are, as with Man of Steel, unjustified. Someone busts into a vending machine, you're going to see some brand names. Nobody holds a Pepsi up to the screen and says "Ah, just the thing after a long day of zombie fighting!". You're going to need a thicker skin than that if you want to go see summer blockbusters these days.

Zombie gore is almost nonexistent. Backstory is almost nonexistent. Every character except Brad Pitt is almost nonexistent. But still, I liked it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:22 pm 

The product placement wouldn't have been so stupid if the rest of the movie had been good, but by the last few minutes when it happens, I was already deeply hating the movie anyway. Didn't help matters, is all I'm saying. And considering it's one of the last things the film leaves you with...I mean come on. It's ridiculous. It's like a neon sign that says WE DON'T GIVE A SHIT.

Frankly I just think we should expect more from our films - if you liked WWZ, that's totally cool, but you gotta understand if someone else didn't think it was even near up to par with what's acceptable. I don't want to just lower the bar and accept crap. Taste is subjective, blah blah, but I just hate when people try to use "oh, well you have to expect these things from summer blockbusters" as an excuse. Amazing Spider-Man and Avengers were good summer blockbusters. We got a much better "infection" film with Contagion a few years back. I personally just don't think WWZ is up to scratch as even close to acceptable, is all.

Last edited by Empyreal on Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:24 pm 

I probably wouldn't bother asking this, but the fact that so many of you have seen V/H/S and its sequel suggests there are plenty of low budget horror fans here.

So has anybody seen American Mary? I'm wondering if it's worth renting the DVD, or if I should just wait a year or two for it to show up on FearNET On Demand or something.

GTog wrote:
Cloud Atlas - 1/5

I liked this slightly more than you did, but I'll probably never watch it again and can't recommend it to anybody except Wachowski completists, who are going to see it regardless of what I say. To anyone who decides to watch it, be aware that it's nearly 3 hours long, and don't be surprised if you need to turn on subtitles. Much of the dialogue in the futuristic scenes is barely intelligible.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:51 pm 

I saw a screening of American Mary last month. It was pretty decent. The gore was really intense and it had some interesting ideas. Didn't blow my mind bit it's definitely worth a watch if you're into that sort of thing.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:29 pm 

Sweet, I'll get it through Netflix then.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:25 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I still need to see Dogville. I think Kidman is a pretty good actress (though I don't share your, ahem, obsession) and I've really been meaning to check out more Von Trier and that one seems like the most interesting one.

Care to do a "beloved movie" switcheroo? I'll watch (or re-watch) a beloved movie of yours and subsequently put up a review of it if you watch Dogville and do the same. I'm not even sure what movies sit at the top of your list, so this should be pretty fun. One request: Please no Nic Cage. Please Necro. No Cage.

Please.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:33 am 

Alright, sounds interesting. As for a beloved movie of mine. Hmmm...something not obvious. Léon: The Professional?

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:36 am 

I second The Professional, weird sexualization of children aside.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:37 am 

EzraWeeden wrote:

Fucking hated Eraserhead. It was the biggest pile of shit movie I've ever seen. IMO.

Rambo - Wow. Rented this expecting it to suck terrible, and I was pleasantly surpised. One of the most testosterone filled movies I've ever seen. Completely fucking awesome. 8/10

The original Rambo is a well-executed classic, I'd say; certainly not what one would expect from what's filtered down about it in pop-culture osmosis. (Eraserhead is great, though - to the extent that you can love something that deeply disturbed you, I love it.)

EDIT: Oops, ancient text crept in there. No idea how.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:06 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Alright, sounds interesting. As for a beloved movie of mine. Hmmm...something not obvious. Léon: The Professional?

I actually own the international cut of that and I've seen it like 5 or 6 times. I don't think I'd call it an absolute favorite but it's definitely a great film; probably a 9.5/10, off the top of my head. I'd be willing to watch it again with a fresh pair of eyes (and a brand new notepad!) if you're 100% sure that's your pick, but I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Any Montreal films that are near'n'dear? I don't think I've dug as deeply into you guys' scene as I should have.

EDIT: Speaking of Besson, I just watched Subway for the first time. Really interesting film, if not always super compelling. Reminded me quite a bit of Diva in that both films are classic French New Wave pictures re-interpreted in the neon bathed, Blade Runner-influenced glow of the 1980's, with the sort of graphic violence that most people just take for granted nowadays. Anyway, it's often easy to forget that Christopher Lambert actually is a good actor when he's speaking a language he's comfortable with and it's also easy to forget that Isabelle Adjani may actually be the single most beautiful woman who has ever lived. As to the movie itself: it was pretty good. Probably an 8/10 or so. I can review it further if anyone cares.

Anyone else seen this?

Last edited by darkeningday on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:12 am 

I saw Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom.That film is...Very. Fucked. Up. Makes Caligula look like a PG movie.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 am 

Calusari wrote:
EzraWeeden wrote:

Fucking hated Eraserhead. It was the biggest pile of shit movie I've ever seen. IMO.
Rambo - Wow. Rented this expecting it to suck terrible, and I was pleasantly surpised. One of the most testosterone filled movies I've ever seen. Completely fucking awesome. 8/10

The original Rambo is a well-executed classic, I'd say; certainly not what one would expect from what's filtered down about it in pop-culture osmosis. (Eraserhead is great, though - to the extent that you can love something that deeply disturbed you, I love it.)
EDIT: Oops, ancient text crept in there. No idea how.

Haha, I keep worrying that'll happen to me one day.
I think EzraWeeden was referring to Rambo 4, which for some odd reason was just called 'Rambo'. Which I actually enjoyed and easily found the best thing Stallone has done as of late. On the other hand, Rocky 6 just shouldn't have happened, it's one defining feature being that it's slightly better than 5. Still as tiresome and empty as ever.

@Darkeningday, I really want to see Subway but I can't find a copy anywhere. That and Neon City with Michael Ironside.
I wish Christopher Lambert opted out of the Highlander sequels and better spent his time elsewhere, talk about wasted potential.

Last edited by volutetheswarth on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:36 am 

For Montréal movies, I rather like Cronenberg's Shivers. But yeah, I'm sure Professional is my pick. It was between that, Heat, And Fargo :p

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:12 pm 

Godzilla vs King Kong: The Japanese version with subtitles - 6.5/10

First off, I am a die hard Godzilla fan, I love the franchise, I love the monsters and I am beyond excited for the Legendary version that'll be released next year. Because of that, I'm beyond proud to finally see this film in it's original Japanese version and language. That sad.....yeah, it has problems. First off, King Kong suit is very generic and sometimes just ridicules. Several characters have very bizarre motivations and honestly gives a corny feeling to it. Also....I learned last quarter in my class about racial prejudice in my class and how white people would use black face. Well, at Kong's island, we have Japanese portraying natives via black face....I was instantly "No.....no Japan...." Another tid bit, Kong, out of the blue, gets struck by lightning and suddenly can shock Godzilla....what? Finally, they have a part with American actors and holy balls do they suck at acting.

Still, their are some good parts to this. Godzilla's suit is truly impressive, one of the better suits in the early days of the franchise. The music was also really well done, they turned the Godzilla theme and almost made it sound darker. Some acting, despite questionable characters and lines, are well done. And lets be honest, it's Godzilla and King Kong fighting, arguably two of the most well known monsters in cinema history.

To me, this film is to monster movies what Hulk Hogan vs Andre the Giant was to Pro Wrestling. It was the spark that made it popular and everyone knows it. But like Hulk vs Andre, it's far from the best. GvKK is a legendary film but not a great one, I recommend seeing it due to it's impact, but really that its.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:23 pm 

A fellow Godzilla fan - that's what I like to see! I wasn't too thrilled with Godzilla vs. King Kong either, mainly because of the outcome. You'll never convince me that a giant gorilla could defeat a huge, radioactive dinosaur that breathes atomic mayhem. I mean, that breath is powerful enough to destroy fucking black holes!

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:43 pm 

Well, this is me showing my true nerd colors, but I can see a Gorilla beating Godzilla. For one, a movie latter, Godzilla got beat by two caterpillars freshly hatched. Also, he did destroy a mini-back hole, but that was the Millennium era, which was technically a different Godzilla in a different universe. Also.....Godzilla vs Megaguiras I consider to be one of the worst Godzilla films ever, and while I can buy some out there ideas of Godzilla, him blowing up a black hole shot by a black hole gun is going beyond ridicules.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:40 pm 

I just watched the first "Atlas Shrugged" movie last night. I have to admit I was skeptical it would be worth anything considering Glenn Beck has been known to fap to Ayn Rand's philosophy on his show, but I actually really enjoyed it. I could tell the author held an anti-Christian attitude even before I did some research on her views.

The new Shade Empire album makes sense to me, now. :headbang:

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:50 pm 

Rewatched ''Tiger Cage'' and it's a pretty solid piece of Hong Kong crime cinema. Stands out as being fairly unique too, more about corruption within the police rather than taking down a ring of criminals. Although it suffers a bit for being rough around the edges. It's a relatively well made film with an interesting plot that manages to be tense at some moments, but some bits are not executed all that well and the cartoony bad guys don't help. Directed by the same guy who did the original Drunken Master and there's some nice fight scenes inserted, particularly the one with Donnie Yen. Speaking of Donnie Yen, he's quite good as the young, hot tempered cop but man, seeing him with his baby face always make me smile haha. Still there's some quite impressive bits, particularly the action-filled opening of a night-time takedown under Hong Kong's neon lights. The locales are definitely nice and we're not really stuck in the dense streets deep in the city but the more open places near the sea. Will try to watch the second one soon, hopefully it's good too but I know it's not really a true sequel (which wouldn't make sense). But it's not a bad place to start with HK crime films.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:09 pm 

Aurone wrote:
Well, this is me showing my true nerd colors, but I can see a Gorilla beating Godzilla. For one, a movie latter, Godzilla got beat by two caterpillars freshly hatched. Also, he did destroy a mini-back hole, but that was the Millennium era, which was technically a different Godzilla in a different universe. Also.....Godzilla vs Megaguiras I consider to be one of the worst Godzilla films ever, and while I can buy some out there ideas of Godzilla, him blowing up a black hole shot by a black hole gun is going beyond ridicules.

I never saw where it was a different universe, but yeah, it's a different Godzilla. Godzilla vs. Megaguiras wasn't that good, I'll grant you, but I'm an unabashed Godzilla fan, and anything that increases the big G's powers is fine by me. :D

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:19 am 

The Hitcher II: I've Been Waiting - 2/5

Not as bad as I was expecting, but honestly pretty crap either way. Just an unremarkable sequel to a great film. It rides the success of the original by copying it directly, but can't reproduce even a tenth of the fear and suspense of that one. A lame movie that you'll forget soon after seeing.

The Purge - 4.25/5

I really liked this. It's a "home invasion" horror film, but by default, that is always better than a "Exorcist rip off supernatural ghost movie," so it gets props for that. But it's a solid flick. It's a cool plot that subtly takes jabs at the state of American society while also providing an eerie possible future. Now, I'm not saying it's genius - there's a lot more they could have explored with the concept. But I did think it was interesting and there was at least ideas in it, at least some curious "what if" style thinking - which is always a solid base for a film even if the idea falls flat. Here, I thought it was done well. Seeing the upper-echelon of society taken down a peg, victims of their own extreme ideas, is cool and the film knows exactly what it is doing: this is far better than most of these "yuppie" horror movies that only focus on bland white families, because it's self aware enough to treat them like real people as well as show their ultimate folly and downfall because of the system they created. Which is pretty fucking dark, and works as a horror film. It also takes away the "why don't the police get there in time" plot hole that these movies usually have, and the tension and atmosphere are solid. The characters are pretty decent, the acting is surprisingly good and overall, while there were a few parts that maybe dragged a bit, I thought it was pretty damn good. I'd watch it again.

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:41 am 

Aurone wrote:
Godzilla vs King Kong: The Japanese version with subtitles - 6.5/10

First off, I am a die hard Godzilla fan, I love the franchise, I love the monsters and I am beyond excited for the Legendary version that'll be released next year. Because of that, I'm beyond proud to finally see this film in it's original Japanese version and language. That sad.....yeah, it has problems. First off, King Kong suit is very generic and sometimes just ridicules. Several characters have very bizarre motivations and honestly gives a corny feeling to it. Also....I learned last quarter in my class about racial prejudice in my class and how white people would use black face. Well, at Kong's island, we have Japanese portraying natives via black face....I was instantly "No.....no Japan...." Another tid bit, Kong, out of the blue, gets struck by lightning and suddenly can shock Godzilla....what? Finally, they have a part with American actors and holy balls do they suck at acting.

Still, their are some good parts to this. Godzilla's suit is truly impressive, one of the better suits in the early days of the franchise. The music was also really well done, they turned the Godzilla theme and almost made it sound darker. Some acting, despite questionable characters and lines, are well done. And lets be honest, it's Godzilla and King Kong fighting, arguably two of the most well known monsters in cinema history.

To me, this film is to monster movies what Hulk Hogan vs Andre the Giant was to Pro Wrestling. It was the spark that made it popular and everyone knows it. But like Hulk vs Andre, it's far from the best. GvKK is a legendary film but not a great one, I recommend seeing it due to it's impact, but really that its.

Even in that version, I always thought Kong's name came first.

Secondly, I much prefer that version to the American one, which is perhaps the worst Americanization of any of the original 15 films. The dialogue is rather goofy, but the dubbed voices are far more ridiculous with all the different voices placed on the soundtrack. It's not that they don't match lip movement, it's that there's no effort made to place a voice that sounds logical emitting from that person's appearance. Mr. Tako and Fugita in particular have absolutely lame voices speaking for them and they sound nothing like how that person should be in real life, which makes the dialogue even worse off than it really is.

Then you replace some of Ifukube's best music in it's entirety and leave only a few strains here and there? Really unacceptable in any form, so despite the one good thing it does in streamlining the first half is rendered moot by all these other issues. Definitely agree there, the Japanese version is so much better there's no contest, whereas usually it's a little closer as to which one is better to where it's almost a matter of personal preference over actual out-and-out quality.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:12 pm 

Late night Netflixing. Haven't forgotten about Dogville, I'll probably get around to it soon.

Upstream Colour: Really out there, minimalist film making. The soundtrack is beautiful and perfectly fitting, scenes aren't always in chronological order, and what exactly is happening is very hazy. I'm still not quite sure what the meaning of it was, which I'm certain is deliberate. It's really an experience and certainly worth watching. I liked it much better than Primer. Really a trippy movie. There's barely any dialogue, and the first 45 minutes or so is pretty damn disjointed. But in this case, this isn't a bad thing.

Attack the Block: Unsympathetic protagonists and intense slang. I was worried this wouldn't be very good in the first 10 minutes, but then I warmed up to it. The movie is slightly funny, if not hilarious. Mostly, it's just an easy sit and a fun watch. Nick Frost is in it, but pretty much does nothing. When you take a look at the aliens, it certainly looks like they didn't have a high budget, but they still look pretty interesting and cool. There's no explanation for them, and the threat and loose ends are tied up a bit too quickly and conveniently at the end there, but hey, still worth checking out.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:54 pm 

Hey Necro (or anyone else, but he's the most likely candidate since most of you don't live around here), are you planning on seeing movies at the Fantasia festival this year? Seems like it would be up your alley. It has become a summer tradition for me and I go see a sometimes ridiculous number of movies there every year. This is also the reason why I'm familiar with some obscure genre films, yet have no idea about super popular movies. :D

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:06 pm 

I'm pretty interested. I visited the website, and there's no programs or listings yet though. No idea what to expect.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:17 pm 

Hah yeah, it's always really last minute. Like the fest always starts on a Thursday, and the schedule is announced only the Friday before usually, and tickets go on sale like 2-3 days before it begins. So for big fans, we need to really hurry looking through the listing of 100+ movies in a couple days and make a list of what we want to see, then go line-up to buy tickets the moment they're on sale, because some films will sell out really fast. Fun times. I'll let you know when the schedule is posted, and I can get tickets for you if you tell me what you want. I usually get them for a few people. Always fun getting to the ticket counter and going "yeah, I need like 100 tickets..." and then listing them all. :D

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:28 pm 

My old computer which I used to burn movies on dvd died and I have trouble getting a new program ever since. Does anyone know of a free and good working dvd burner program?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:31 pm 

You should get a media hub, I use my PS3 and I copy/stream movies I download on it!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:14 pm 

The problem is I watch a lot of movies with subtitles. My 360 is stupid enough to not be able to read a video file and search for the subtitle file that goes with it. Unless the film has hard subs, I need to burn the movie on dvd so enabling subtitles becomes an option when I play the movie. It's really just a question of watching Italian and Hong Kong movies which I am a big fan of...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 405, 406, 407, 408, 409, 410, 411 ... 818  Next