Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:43 am 

I remember somewhere that other websites like this one were being made. I remember a punk one mentioned, and possibly others. Anyone else know anything about this?

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:09 am 

Not by the actual MA creators, any other sites are completely independent like progarchives etc.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:13 am 

People in the past have made jokes about licensing out the website format (similar to how you can make a Wiki for anything) but I think it's more work than Hellblazer and Morrigan really want to get involved in.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:43 am 

www.rateyourmusic.com and Discogs are the only two database websites that even come close in comparison to MA in my experience.

pastafarian
Liberalestest Hitler Jugend

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:14 am 

A punk/hardcore archives would be great, since im always looking for info/reviews on obscure bands and nothing turns up.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:46 am 

One of the MA moderators here is currently writing a general "extreme music" archives which will cover all extreme genres not already covered by MA (so non-metal forms of deathcore and grindcore, hardcore punk, noisegrind, industrial, harsh noise, dark ambient, and so on). Not sure how progress on that is going, though.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:45 pm 

I do remember mention being made of Alhadis (independently) starting a Grindcore Archive (or something to that effect), but I'm not sure if it was serious or not.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:49 pm 

That is what Mutant was referring to. Al still needs to do lots of programming for the basic database structure, as far as I know. It's effectively an idea at this point. He is serious about it, though.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:03 pm 

Would MA ever endorse the site? In a "sister site" sort of way?

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:16 pm 

Man, we Metal Fans must really love our music, if we have the best and one of the most complete music database out there.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:12 am 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
Man, we Metal Fans must really love our music, if we have the best and one of the most complete music database out there.

um, ok. :|

I think a link at the bottom leading to a "portal" page of a bunch of archives would be the ideal way to link each archive. I imagine that is the only "endorsement" required. Just a link to connect them without making them somehow integrated with one another, which I believe would detract from the emphasis each would have on a particular genre.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:49 pm 

A significant challenge of running an archive is building a dedicated and knowledgeable staff to run it. Even with the staff we have right now, there is still a backlog of work - a perpetual number of bands to screen and reports to handle, both of which require a lot of going back to users to clarify and explain rules - after a decade there are still a lot of misunderstandings in simple submissions. There are a huge number of dedicated users who have been here for a long time and actively and passively contribute too. Building the site - simply entering, verifying, and managing the basic information on the site before we even had label/artist pages - took a lot of work over many years, including some inhuman persistence in maintaining the integrity of the information from folks like christkiller to Alhadis. Take a look at how many reports have been closed and think about that much work. I believe at points in the earlier years of the site, there were 500+ bands in the queue.

Then there's technical issues - software maintenance as well as updating it and server/hosting stuff. Managing that on other archives would have to be handled differently - referral links cover hosting costs here, but other sites might not have the same benevolent direction as MA management. The main factor would be that there is dedication and interest in maintaining MA from the software and webmasters to the staff and regulars to many users who contribute. Also, if there's another archive, how are bands that fit on multiple archives handled? Shared data? Linked data? Independently/overlapping? That's a lot more of a headache than I believe most of the folks who are currently focused on keeping this site up and running are interested in handling.

I know Alhadis' future database would exclude all bands listed on MA. He has tons of information that has been removed/rejected from here, but of course the software isn't complete and doesn't look to be done soon. Anyone who remembers earlier days of MA - pretty much any point in v1 - knows that there were countless issues to sort out and fix, and the webmasters gained a lot of experience from that which helped shape how the site is now. A database like MA was ten years ago would compare poorly to how MA currently is. Quite simply, I don't think sister-archives are viable.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:13 pm 

An aspect that should not be underestimated is the strange and distinct dedication of metal fans towards their genre. It can be questioned whether something similar exists in other genres as well and whether it would be possible to gather enough momentum to build up a database of equal proportions. Maybe some niches are able to offer something similar but from a broader perspective the doubts remain.

Another aspect would touch a very basic element: how to start something new that does look like a clone of the MA or discogs? How to improve on the simple and well structured design of this site and bring it on a different (new or better) level?

This alone feels like a heavy burden.

Zodijackyl wrote:
Building the site - simply entering, verifying, and managing the basic information on the site before we even had label/artist pages - took a lot of work over many years, including some inhuman persistence in maintaining the integrity of the information from folks like christkiller to Alhadis.

Then there's technical issues - software maintenance as well as updating it and server/hosting stuff.

These two aspect are maybe the main obstacles in terms of creating a different site. How to get dedicated users and how to pay for all of this?

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:43 am 

pastafarian wrote:
A punk/hardcore archives would be great, since im always looking for info/reviews on obscure bands and nothing turns up.

There actually was a punk archive once. I remember I was finding bands on it back in the early 2000's, 2001 I think.

I remember they had a pretty good archive, Even had a lot of Scandinavian bands like the Anal Babes and Turbonegro. Remember i found out about Poison Idea, Zero Boys, Dead Boys and the Angry Samoans on there. Was a good resource before Wikipedia came along. I don't know if it still exists... The name was punk... (Something). There were no reviews on there.

qTp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:50 am 

http://www.psydb.net/
for goa trance, psytrance and psybient

unfortunately no longer updated since 2009

Morton Salt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:46 pm 

693 wrote:
pastafarian wrote:

There actually was a punk archive once. I remember I was finding bands on it back in the early 2000's, 2001 I think.

I remember they had a pretty good archive, Even had a lot of Scandinavian bands like the Anal Babes and Turbonegro. Remember i found out about Poison Idea, Zero Boys, Dead Boys and the Angry Samoans on there. Was a good resource before Wikipedia came along. I don't know if it still exists... The name was punk... (Something). There were no reviews on there.

http://www.killfromtheheart.com/

Is that it? That's the closest thing I can think of to a hardcore/punk archive style website.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:12 pm 

I use ProgArchives sometimes, although their community isn't as engaging and their database is much harder to use.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:50 pm 

I remember they had a pretty good archive, Even had a lot of Scandinavian bands like the Anal Babes and
http://www.killfromtheheart.com/

Is that it? That's the closest thing I can think of to a hardcore/punk archive style website.[/quote]

I had just been wondering if a punk archive site existed.

However, that one is vastly inferior to MA.

All it has are the names and dates of bands' releases.

None of the descriptions include when the bands formed, whether they are still active, or any other information.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:43 am 

Scourge441 wrote:
I use ProgArchives sometimes, although their community isn't as engaging and their database is much harder to use.

Their layout also looks like ass (unless that's what you meant too). And Arjen Lucassen advertising merchandise? :roll:

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:07 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Scourge441 wrote:

And Arjen Lucassen advertising merchandise? :roll:

:lol:

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

dantes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:39 pm 

Well, the problem with virtually all the other archive sites is that they look awful (progarchives, seriously?), are crammed with adds (RYM) or are just unsystematic (like this punk stuff you just saw).

I have no idea if any other community could make a site la MA work, but I know the second a Punk/Grind/Hardcore site is created, I will be adding bands like crazy.

Last edited by Metantoine on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THREAD NECROMANCY WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.