Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:19 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Ulf Soderberg, eh? Never heard of him, will have to look him up.

My guess is you've probably heard of his other project, Sephiroth. It's generally more electronic and synth driven, with way fewer acoustic instruments.

You'll have to excuse the sound quality, some of these are bad rips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiom6CRi ... R7SzBIkXxR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPn98oEY2Lg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hImm_UPNF8

Anyway, he works for a museum doing sound design for their exhibits, they send him all over the world to take audio samples for them. As such, the samples are his own. He tends to mix in quieter, "pure" ambient with louder tribal ambient. Not Steve Roach-style tribal ambient though. The stuff under his own name also has a fair amount of "real" instruments, some of which he plays (the drums are all him for example, some of the vocals are too, and he does that weird Aussie/New Zealand droning wind instrument too).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpHdmf6mRbs (quiet)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJxLInYf_9g (louder)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqUdqv1Q5Dk (quiet)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH3TLG2W_uY (louder)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-k7p2XM3W0 (louder)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meRZamVEOxU (louder)

Hope that helps :) . Tidvatten is probably my favorite album. Rexxz prefers Vindarnas Hus.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:19 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
@ThrashingMad For more along that powerful, martial-esque, post-industrial vein, you could also check out Sophia's Deconstruction of the World. It's by the main guy from Arcana, pretty scathing and overwhelming but simultaneously rather elegant. Really nice release. Unfortunately I don't think the earlier releases are very good, but at least that disc is a real standout.

I've got Obeir et Mourir on file, I'll have to give it another go...

Herbstwerk has some great music. The second track on The Seduction of Madness is pretty crushing, though the other tracks are considerably less impressive. I don't care for Sigillum Militum though and I haven't listened to Deconstruction... in ages. I remember the song "Humanicide" though, that one's good.

Something I noticed is that the title track from Herbstwerk has a string/synth line ripped straight from an Urfaust song :lol:

The Sophia song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djHWaWtoznk
The Urfaust song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ1Zcd6bl80 (note 2:15)

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:46 pm 

"After bombardment, the targeted population will often remain in the ruins of their contaminated homes, or in buildings where metal exposure will continue"
Dr Savabieasfahani

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:59 pm 

500th review submitted today. *Gets drunk.*

Obligatory Last FM Link

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:05 pm 

I wanted to get that Dark Moor album for next week, damnit! Wouldn't have been as positive as yours.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:14 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
Something I noticed is that the title track from Herbstwerk has a string/synth line ripped straight from an Urfaust song :lol:

The Sophia song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djHWaWtoznk
The Urfaust song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ1Zcd6bl80 (note 2:15)

Haha, damn. At least that's a pretty good line that they ripped off.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:04 pm 

Re: Sophia - not sure if I've ever mentioned it here, but aside from making Death Metal, I do a sideline in video editing. Here's a video I made for one of the Signum Militvm tracks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCJFSXnYCEY

Re: SCORN, I'll try and get a photo of the collection tomorrow. In the interim, you might find this interesting. I've just re-started an old project of mine which draws very heavily on that drowsy sound on Gyral. Doing my first gig in about a month:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29MFcrRgXyY

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:23 pm 

So... Still nobody going to the Metalfest in Loreley Germany???

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:24 pm 

I think I'm just going to stop eating cookies altogether. 30% of the death waffle I was about to eat is high fructose corn syrup. :ugh: The coffin industry must have a say in this.

Eating a apple now, much better.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:15 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Huh? What are you on about? Way to take a simple remark and complicate it. In no way did I think people were being baited into posting, I never implied that in any manner.

I think you might've just done the same (or just misunderstood me in some other way)? All I meant was that there was nothing about the thread in particular that would make it more appealing for the vocal minority (if indeed it is a minority) of people who dislike traditional metal lyrical themes to post their thoughts.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:37 pm 

an apple. better than cookies? fuck no!

That being said. I used to be 200 pounds and I'm now a fairly muscular 155. So I know all about temptation and the devil's sweets!

I generally cut out "eating bad" - there's the occasional drunk fast food - but that's maybe once a month. Overall I have a very strict diet of veggies, fishes, oils and fruits (oh and loads of nuts) coupled with a fairly strict workout routine - but I also smoke three packs a week and drink...I dunno...two...three bottles of gin or whiskey or vodka? So...ehh...something will kill us all.

Also, there are 14 reviews for Deathspell Omega's Fas.. and I wanna write one that I think is really different from all the others...will it get accepted? Is it a numbers game or how one approaches a crowded album?

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:53 pm 

There are more reviews for 13. You're fine.
Hehe, foreskins.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:56 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:

Damn hippie!

Philofrog, you used to weigh 200 pounds? Now that's something I just can't imagine. I'm well over 200 pounds but I'm slowly improving on my lardassery. Much of this has to do with being off of university and not drinking a 48 pack a week and always going drunkenly to McDonald's. I have a gym membership I'm using a few times a week as well as a pool in our condo complex, so slowly I'm losing the gut, which no doubt will be back in full force after next semester's frosh week.

Even though there's already a retarded amount of reviews, I've been thinking of doing one for 13. Too many of the reviews seem to be by people who've basically heard it once and rushed to the keyboard. However, there have been a few good perspectives by established reviewers, and although I don't agree with it fully, I found droneriot's highly entertaining.

Last edited by Thumbman on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:13 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Also, there are 14 reviews for Deathspell Omega's Fas.. and I wanna write one that I think is really different from all the others...will it get accepted? Is it a numbers game or how one approaches a crowded album?

If you write a good review, it will be accepted regardless of how many reviews there are. Sure, if it's a review for "13" I'll handle everything else in the queue and leave it there to rot, but if I recognize a reviewer's name as a quality writer/forum poster, I probably won't ignore it forever (I'll let some poor bastard[head] suffer through the stuff that I ignore).

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:10 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
I think I'm just going to stop eating cookies altogether. 30% of the death waffle I was about to eat is high fructose corn syrup. :ugh: The coffin industry must have a say in this.

Try granola bars perhaps?

I'm just getting into Lantern's Below. Some of the MA folk seem divided on this release. I read a few detracting posts in the metal forum. It's my second listen today and it seems pretty solid so far.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:57 am 

shouvince wrote:
I'm just getting into Lantern's Below. Some of the MA folk seem divided on this release. I read a few detracting posts in the metal forum. It's my second listen today and it seems pretty solid so far.

People don't like Below? I listened to it through the Dark Descent bandcamp about 4 times and it came across to me as well-crafted, evil stuff.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:17 am 

Haven't got the new album yet, but soon... very soon.

In other news, I was watching this madness, and having a good 'ol chuckle. I don't get NFL at all, but if it really was like this, then I'm all in :lol:

My collection

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:49 am 

shouvince wrote:
henkkjelle wrote:

Try granola bars perhaps?

Aren't a lot of granola bars packed with sugars and fats and all the other lovely things you need to make a handful of grains stick together and taste decent? Not that I'm a health nut. I don't think I could resist a good waffle...

As you know from my posts in Metal Disc, I'm not fond of 'Below'. It seemed fantastic the first half dozen times I heard it, but it gets less and less interesting; the main thing, though, is that it is disappointing compared to their previous efforts. With Lantern and Vorum failing to capture - for me, at least - the dark energy of their demos/EPs, I'm starting to get nervous about the upcoming Cruciamentum and Grave Upheaval full-lengths; hopefully they can extend their brilliance to the longer format without getting bogged down.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:25 am 

They are, as you've mentioned. It's just packaged as a healthy snack. Less guilt for henkkjelle :)

Regarding 'Below', it's my first introduction to the band's music so I'm yet to listen to their previous releases. And if they are as you say, higher on the scale of 'dark energy', then I'm in for a treat when I listen to their demos.

I'm currently listening to Bölzer's tracks online. Can't believe I've missed out on so much good music all this while.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZBaEtnxjYw

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:36 am 

No guilt for me, I didn't eat the death waffle. :-D

Oh, and screw granola bars. 30% less sugar my ass, they could stuff 30 trillion tons of sugar in a granola bar, take 30% out and call it healthier using the same reasoning. We are sort of fucked at the moment when it comes to regular foods though. To much salt and sugar, and it's in pretty much everything.

EDIT

I realize that it is possible to navigate through all the bad foods to get to the good foods, and do try to do that most of the time, but even our most basic of foods, like bread, has been stuffed with to much salt.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:57 am 

LlamaTrainer wrote:
shouvince wrote:

People don't like Below? I listened to it through the Dark Descent bandcamp about 4 times and it came across to me as well-crafted, evil stuff.

It's good, but disappointing. I'm not saying that it's bad or anything, it's my 10th favourite album of the year, only beaten by Katechon in the OSDM field (It was pretty much even with Vorum, but you guys broke it), three songs in particular are awesome, but overall it isn't as excellent as I had hoped. If it had all been at the quality of Rites of Descent, Entrenching Presences or From the Ruins it'd be a goddamned masterpiece. But other than the pretty good Manifesting Shambolic Aura I find it pretty dull outside of those three numbers.

In spite of this, if you're looking for OSDM in 2013, it's as good a place as any to dive in. It's as you, say, pretty solid. The early stuff was god-tier.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:04 am 

It saddens me to think that there is a lonely, rejected waffle somewhere out there, beyond my reach... Man, I really need to buy waffles. They're all I can think about now.

shouvince wrote:
I'm currently listening to Bölzer's tracks online. Can't believe I've missed out on so much good music all this while.

Holy iridescent globes of Yog-Sothoth, Bölzer are utterly excellent. How have I never heard of them before? Huh. Swiss, eh? More excellent black/death from a cold, mountainous place. I hope there's somewhere I can get these.

Oh, on the matter of 2013 OSDM - what are people's thoughts on Krypts? I quite enjoyed 'Unending Degradation'.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:08 am 

I liked it, it's in my second tier of releases for the year. I think they do have a noticeably more epic and developed melodic side than their contemporaries, but it's too buried under the super murky production for me.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:48 am 

Calusari wrote:
Holy iridescent globes of Yog-Sothoth, Bölzer are utterly excellent. How have I never heard of them before? Huh. Swiss, eh? More excellent black/death from a cold, mountainous place. I hope there's somewhere I can get these.

Oh, on the matter of 2013 OSDM - what are people's thoughts on Krypts? I quite enjoyed 'Unending Degradation'.

Bölzer is excellent, really unique stuff. As for Krypts, I quite liked what I heard, but I haven't really given it many listens yet (I really should get round to doing that). From what I can remember though, it's good for what it is, but doesn't really stand out too much from the pack. Actually, speaking of OSDM, I could be imagining things but it does seem the number of ODSM bands releasing albums has decreased a bit this year compared to the last couple. It's one of the few retro movements I've really liked, so I'm a bit disappointed that it might be starting to wane.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:25 am 

I had noticed a bit of reduction in OSDM quantity this year. I don't really mind since I burnt out on the whole movement in 2010, but it is odd to only have about a dozen OSDM albums under my belt at this stage of the year.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:28 am 

Calusari wrote:
shouvince wrote:

They are, aren't they. I need to get hold of their new EP. Btw, you and ghengis were right about praising Lantern's earlier material as opposed to 'Below'. 'Subterranean...' floored me instantly. I haven't given much time to the Krypts release yet.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:59 am 

Good to hear. I found Krypts offered more with each listen, though, yes, the production wasn't as good as it could have been.

I agree about the lessening in number and quality of OSDM releases this year - actually, Krypts is probably a sign of that trend; in previous years, this probably wouldn't have made that much of an impact on me, but this year, I was just glad to find some decent OSDM to hold on to. The movement does seem to be on the wane, which saddens me - I'm no longer as devoted to it, shall we say, as I was a couple of years ago, but I still find much to enjoy in it; and the better records released during the peak of the wave are still among my all-time favourites. That experimental black/death sound of Bölzer is something I favour more these days; someone needs to come up with a catchy epithet for that wave. Not that 'OSDM Revival(-ism? eh)' was that catchy, but it saved a few syllables at least.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:31 pm 

Scorntyrant wrote:
What is everyone going to do with themselves? Maybe the 40 hour work week is an anachronism, a relic of the industrial era. But McLuhan's "Leisure society" is a trap, if it ever came to pass, in that most people would not know how to define themselves or what to do with their time in the absence of a clearly defined reason to get up and go somewhere every day.

Maybe as technology replaces us in the workplace it will also provide the answer? Ours, and past generations have been conditioned to get up and go to work/school but in the future we could follow a different routine. We always compare future living with what we experience now, but times and people change accordingly.

According to Ray Kurzweil some will become immortal by 2045 :o So maybe ordinary people will use technology in a way we can't yet imagine? (I expect we will become very passive and take for granted everything we use has monitoring capabilities).

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:55 pm 

shit is going down here in my country and of course i'm the last one to hear about it :) rioting everywhere, even here in my shitty little city. yesterday I had a great view of people throwing molotov cocktails at the local bus station.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:37 pm 

@lord_ghengis: Fair enough. Give me another year and I'd be starting to get burnt out on it too, I think. I only really got into death metal in the last year or so, so while the revival's been around for ages now (while aware I wasn't interested for a while), I'm a bit behind the times as it still feels 'new' to me :lol:

@calusari: That experimental black/death sound (Bölzer, Abyssal, Mitochondrion, Portal etc) really seems to be getting more popular, though maybe that's just my perception as I'm paying more attention to discussions about it these days. If that was the next 'scene' to take off I'd be one happy camper (as long as good shit came of it)! Dissonant/orthodox black metal seems to be picking up steam too - quite a few bands are popping up playing that style these days that were nonexistent even a few years ago (though again maybe I just don't pay attention).

Marag wrote:
shit is going down here in my country and of course i'm the last one to hear about it :) rioting everywhere, even here in my shitty little city. yesterday I had a great view of people throwing molotov cocktails at the local bus station.

What shit's going down?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:56 pm 

I wouldn't say those two scenes have gotten that big, it's just that most of their bands get talked about as a lot of them are quite good (Though I don't see Svarti Daudi mentioned that much, and I'm one of the few who considers Mitochondrion to be incredibly shitty). OSDM has DOZENS of bands. It was the new rethrash when it was at it's peak. Though thankfully of a MUCH better average quality than that movement. Dead Congregation is still the best thing to come out of that, and their album is already pretty old.
As for Krypts, I personally love their murky, sub-woofer destroying sound. I read an interview in which the guitarist was basically like "we were only satisfied with how bassy it was when we turned it way up and the room rumbled."

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:18 pm 

:lol: That's a pretty damn good test of quality.

I'll try - hard as it is - to ignore that you think Mitochondrion are shit. Really, really hard. Ergh. How can anyone... Anywho. I shall rage privately. I think that there is a wave of that experimental death/black (or black/death) sound right now; there are more and more bands releasing records like this. A few years ago, you'd get the occasional release - Portal, Mitochondrion; these days, they're becoming more and more common, and better known. I think that the whole progression seems to be following a similar pattern to the OSDM revival in its earlier stages. I mean, the very fact that you can mention 'experimental death/black' and not receive blank stares (virtually speaking, mostly) or compare bands to Portal and Mitochondrion (I seem to remember a time when saying that any band sounded like the former especially would have raised eyebrows) quite easily is something of a change.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:25 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I'm one of the few who considers Mitochondrion to be incredibly shitty

:fuck: :fuck:

The scenes aren't that big yet (I wouldn't even call them scenes yet, except it's quicker to type than 'possible future scene like OSDM or retrothrash), but they definitely seem to have gotten more popular recently. If those scenes do take off, then I can't wait to see what new bands come up with, because at the moment the quality of releases coming out of both camps is pretty stellar, Mitochondrion included :P

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:49 pm 

Honestly, I'm not even sure WHY I can't stand them. The vocals are shite, yes, but most of those bands have pretty unimportant and unimposing vocals in the first place. Their entire sound just has this je ne sais quoi that I can't stand. I could listen to one song by them a dozen times, and not remember anything about it.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:14 pm 

:scratch: Now you're just trying to raise hackles. And heckles. (Bad pun, but it is 5 am here, so I will forgive myself.) I completely disagree, of course - I like the vocals, I enjoy the vocals of most of those bands, and don't think that they're in the least unimportant or unimposing (quite, quite the opposite, naturally) - but I don't really see any point in arguing; it seems to me that you just don't like that general style (is it subgenre?).

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:23 pm 

No, I do. That's what I'm saying. Portal are quite good, and Abyssal especially I've professed my love for many times. It's strange that Mitochondrion strikes me as being this lame. You can't honestly say any of those bands have powerful vocals, can you? They're pretty much all the same low, not very loud or very distinctive, well performed but that's about it, growl.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:28 pm 

Hah, it's 5am here too. Exam tomorrow = all nighter. But yeah, I like your taste Calusari :beer:

Necroticism174 wrote:
No, I do. That's what I'm saying. Portal are quite good, and Abyssal especially I've professed my love for many times. It's strange that Mitochondrion strikes me as being this lame. You can't honestly say any of those bands have powerful vocals, can you? They're pretty much all the same low, not very loud or very distinctive, well performed but that's about it, growl.

I really like the vocals of those bands too (to a varying extent I'll admit, but I can't think of any that I dislike). Funnily enough, I actually like the vocals that Mitochondrion use more than quite a few of the other bands (on the latest album particularly).

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:49 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:

In fact, I would say that they do - I'd also say that the vocal style is one of the things that stands out for me, that identifies the style. They're rather distinctive. How are you defining vocal power here? I think that may be a sticking point. Do you mean something that's quite to the front of the mix, so to speak?

Gypaetus wrote:
Hah, it's 5am here too. Exam tomorrow = all nighter. But yeah, I like your taste Calusari :beer:

Haha, cheers, same to you! :beer: Despite my location tag there, I'm in Australia, too; and also pulling an all-nighter (need to get a paper done by roughly 10 am, ergh). Good to know that I'm not the only one awake over here right now.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:07 pm 

Ouch, I feel for you, it sucks ass trying to get something finished last minute. It's bad for sanity, I'm sure of it. I'm going to have to suck it up and get a couple of hours sleep soon or I'm going to crash before the exam (it's at 4:30pm). I haven't done nearly enough study though. You'd think by final year at uni I'd have my shit together a bit better than this, but noooo :brick:

Anyway, good luck with the paper!

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:15 pm 

Am I the only one who finds the current wave of atmospheric/dissonant osdm totally uninteresting?? I've seen people raving about that Krypts album, Mito, Portal, etc. but it all just sounds relentlessly boring to my ears. Not to say it's bad or anything, I get why people are into it and all those bands do what they do well... I just wish they were playing some 'osdm' in the vein of early CC or Morbid Angel instead.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165 ... 518  Next