Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:00 pm 

I was surfing the net and came across Sodom. They've always been a band that's caught my eye but I never really heard them until today. I first heard the song Obsessed By Cruelty and thought it was decent, and then clicked on the YouTube video with the full album In War And Pieces and thought it was pretty sweet! Very heavy and aggressive but with some decently catchy and melodic parts too; not something you always see in harmony.

They're a band I've been sort of meaning to check out, but they have so many albums I don't really know where to start (although something is telling me to look at Agent Orange). Can you guys recommend a good album by them to start off with?

Also, if you can, try to provide a bit of an explanation of what I'm expected to hear from it (if it's really aggressive, really dark sounding, melodic?). I appreciate those more than the usual "check out this album man it's good!"

Also I should just say now, it might take me a bit to get around to all of the recommendations. This is sort of so I can keep them on file, use them as a reference.

ArcticSwarm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:08 pm 

That something telling you to look at Agent Orange is correct!

That record is killer, an absolute classic. Been listening to it for over 20 years now and I still put it on when I'm in the mood to thrash.

Good good choice.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:13 pm 

Agent Orange and Persecution Mania are obligatory. Also, as posted in the other thread, M-16 is one of their finest moments.

If you liked what you heard on In War and Pieces, I'd steer you into the direction of their self-titled album. It has basically the same attributes, only with better songwriting.

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:38 pm 

I also started with Agent Orange. When people talk about Sodom in general for the sake of comparison, they are probably talking about Agent Orange or Persecution Mania (not that Sodom has changed all that radically.) Like Bishop said, if you find you like their newer stuff more, try the self-titled album.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:11 pm 

I just now realized you reposted in this subforum, so allow me to just re-post myself here:

The obvious answer is Agent Orange, since it's just loaded from front to back with classic songs with classic riffs (the title track, "Tired and Red", "Exhibition Bout", the trademark punky song with "Ausgebombt", and the song with the absolute best slow/mid thrash riff of all time, "Remember the Fallen"). It's potentially their most aggressive, with the sharpest riffing they've ever put down, and is much more precise than the charming sloppiness of everything before it. Though if you want their fastest and heaviest, look no further than Tapping the Vein, which would probably be the most violent thrash album of all time if Demolition Hammer never existed.

And I wouldn't necessarily recommend this as a starting point, but one that you really should check out is Better Off Dead. That one seems overlooked for some reason (probably because it's in between the two I pointed out in the previous paragraph), but it really stands out for being... I dunno, different. It has a much stronger Motorhead vibe and has a very prevalent rock n roll attitude behind that vicious thrash they're so good and cranking out. It's no coincidence that there's a Thin Lizzy cover on this album but no others, it's the only one where the general sound fits at all.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:39 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I just now realized you reposted in this subforum, so allow me to just re-post myself here:

The obvious answer is Agent Orange, since it's just loaded from front to back with classic songs with classic riffs (the title track, "Tired and Red", "Exhibition Bout", the trademark punky song with "Ausgebombt", and the song with the absolute best slow/mid thrash riff of all time, "Remember the Fallen"). It's potentially their most aggressive, with the sharpest riffing they've ever put down, and is much more precise than the charming sloppiness of everything before it. Though if you want their fastest and heaviest, look no further than Tapping the Vein, which would probably be the most violent thrash album of all time if Demolition Hammer never existed.

And I wouldn't necessarily recommend this as a starting point, but one that you really should check out is Better Off Dead. That one seems overlooked for some reason (probably because it's in between the two I pointed out in the previous paragraph), but it really stands out for being... I dunno, different. It has a much stronger Motorhead vibe and has a very prevalent rock n roll attitude behind that vicious thrash they're so good and cranking out. It's no coincidence that there's a Thin Lizzy cover on this album but no others, it's the only one where the general sound fits at all.

No worries, I knew it would get locked eventually and I still saw your post.

I took a quick skim through Agent Orange, listened to a few riffs and the song Remember The Fallen, it sounds pretty wicked and has a good mix of really aggressive thrash as well as the "classic 80's" mid paced thrash. I'll give it more of a listen later. I did the same with Tapping The Vein and it sounded pretty cool, but was hard to make out some of the riffs (maybe it's the production?). I can tell it's quality material though so I'll give it more of an in depth listen later. I also did the same with Better Off Dead, Persecution Mania, their self titled and M16 and they all sound pretty cool.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:02 pm 

I love Sodom. One of the first non-US thrash bands I got into way back when I was a wee lad, and still one of the best. I'm not familiar as much with the self-titled, but all the others you checked out are top-tier, especially Agent Orange and Persecution Mania. The former is pretty much the perfect thrash album-- razor-sharp-yet-slightly-dirty guitar tone, good-but-not-too-clean production, great diversity of songwriting-- it's up there with Beneath the Remains, easily.

You mentioned that you didn't really dig Obsessed By Cruelty, but I would still recommend checking out the In The Sign Of Evil EP. Ultra-basic songwriting, but the riffing just piledrives its way into your brain and refuses to come out. The early band's enthusiasm really shines on this one, too.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:34 pm 

Reid wrote:
I love Sodom. One of the first non-US thrash bands I got into way back when I was a wee lad, and still one of the best. I'm not familiar as much with the self-titled, but all the others you checked out are top-tier, especially Agent Orange and Persecution Mania. The former is pretty much the perfect thrash album-- razor-sharp-yet-slightly-dirty guitar tone, good-but-not-too-clean production, great diversity of songwriting-- it's up there with Beneath the Remains, easily.

You mentioned that you didn't really dig Obsessed By Cruelty, but I would still recommend checking out the In The Sign Of Evil EP. Ultra-basic songwriting, but the riffing just piledrives its way into your brain and refuses to come out. The early band's enthusiasm really shines on this one, too.

I didn't say I didn't dig Obsessed By Cruelty, I just thought it wasn't as good as In War And Pieces. It was still good though.

I'll check that EP out too. I also took a skim through In The Final Sign Of Evil, and it seemed decent too.

Therizinosaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:24 pm 

I'll fourth Agent Orange and second In the Sign of Evil, and also recommend Tapping the Vein. That album is just a superb mix of thrash, death, and just a bit of first-wave black metal for spice. Like Agent Orange, it's just packed with jackhammer riffs that it shoots out like a Gatling gun.

Here's a link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We1ByMOZd5E

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:43 pm 

Code Red is worth checking out as well. And I seconding everything else said, but definitely
Listen to Obsessed by Cruelty. There are two versions. Most people have the first version that was supposed to be scrapped. It doesn't contain the song After the Deluge. SPv Steammer boss Manfred Shueltz was unhappy with the production done by Hoerst Mueller (famed for his work with Hellhammer early Celtic Frost) so he sent the boys to a small town to re record the album. Turns out the second recording was only sold in Germany and the first and crappier version was sent to Metal Blade for international distribution. The second version is now rare while the first and worst is commonly available with the In the Sign of Evil EP as a double album. If you
Can find the second version it's definitely worth a listen. I have both and prefer the 2nd recording with After the Deluge.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:10 pm 

Delta_Wing wrote:
Code Red is worth checking out as well. And I seconding everything else said, but definitely
Listen to Obsessed by Cruelty. There are two versions. Most people have the first version that was supposed to be scrapped. It doesn't contain the song After the Deluge. SPv Steammer boss Manfred Shueltz was unhappy with the production done by Hoerst Mueller (famed for his work with Hellhammer early Celtic Frost) so he sent the boys to a small town to re record the album. Turns out the second recording was only sold in Germany and the first and crappier version was sent to Metal Blade for international distribution. The second version is now rare while the first and worst is commonly available with the In the Sign of Evil EP as a double album. If you
Can find the second version it's definitely worth a listen. I have both and prefer the 2nd recording with After the Deluge.

I didn't know that actually, I really want to check it out now. I'll keep an eye out

Ericfg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:24 pm 

'Agent Orange' is getting a lot of love here and I'll not stop that feeling; a verey good album, no doubt.
I don't have the band's full catalouge (wish I did) but from the few I have I *really* love 'M-16', and the live album that succeeded it 'One Night In Bangkok' was damned good as well. I also have another live album of theirs, an older one called 'Mortal Way Of Live'. I got that back in the day and it was good enough to keep me listening 20 years forward.
I'd like to recommend their 'Best Of' album - "Ten Black Years". It's a good collection of earlier material while they were still pretty raw.
I'm also a fan of Tom Angelripper's solo material. More about drinking German beer than Thrashing metal but still, great fun IMHO.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:35 pm 

Never again, tapping the vein.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:21 am 

at the risk of getting ripped apart here, I'm gonna just go ahead and say you might wanna try M-16. It's not one of their "classic" albums by any means but it was the first album by them that I really got into. Like with most Sodom releases, there's a lot of heavy thrash riffs in that album from start to finish.
title track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsfm67VE32Y

Reply to topic