PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:46 am 

failsafeman wrote:

:lol:
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:57 am 

failsafeman wrote:

You did get the "miracle of marijuana" bit was a reference to/parody of a well-known quote from Ghost World, right? Because I thought you had after posting a Buscemi picture, but now I'm not so sure...
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:37 am 

Aside from Steve Buscemi, the movie wasn't very good. The comic felt a lot more genuine.

Anyway we're kind of derailing the topic here. Have any good sci-fi shows come out within the last 5 years? I just realized the most recent ones I've watched ended quite a while ago and nothing's really picked up the slack.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:37 am 

I keep hoping Continuum gets better this second season. The show reminds me of the anime Ghost In the Shell with her thermoptic camouflage, and hacking capabilities, so maybe if even shamelessly, we might get to see her get attacked by an A.I. and make it more interesting.

Spoiler: show
There was one episode where she was hacked using a virtual reality program and remotely controlled by her enemies but nothing like an A.I. infiltration or anything. Also, the best episode imo was when she discovers she has been programmed with an onboard psychiatrist who questions her actions taken against other police officers.

Spoiler: show

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:26 am 

I keep meaning to finish off Season 1 of Continuum, because I've been loving what I've seen.
Favourites?

Ghost In The Shell - Stand Alone Complex
Star Trek - The Next Generation
Battlestar Galactica

Slaytanic55
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:43 am 

the_raytownian wrote:
LEXX. yeah. Farscape. yeah. Babylon 5. yeah. Even Sliders was pretty bitchin'.

I was really into the sort of stuff that aired on Sci-Fi in the mid-to-late 90's, but I have not been into/had a desire to watch much of anything since those days.

I really dislike everything about the new Doctor Who. I also can't stand anything Joss Whedon touches. Fucking seriously. Get this cutesy bullshit out of modern Sci-Fi, please. Humor is fine, but I feel like the new DW is designed for cutesy little 13-year-old shut-in weeaboo girls who love Charmed and Twilight and Evanescence, ROCK ON! Sorry, that is exactly the feeling I get any time I try to sit through more than 5 minutes of that shit.

Calling new DW "cutesy bullshit", while giving praise to Sliders is just...no. :nono:

Can you at least look past some of this "cutesy bullshit" in the new DW and look at things that matter? Like...the good writing? And acting? And character development? Also, I remind you, Sliders had exactly zero of those qualities.

I also don't really know what you're talking about with "cutesy bullshit". I really don't notice anything in DW that strikes me as cutesy, sometimes a little more humor than I would prefer, but nothing cutesy, and certainly not enough overbearing "cutesyness" for me to stop watching and ignore all other aspects of the show.

But that's just me.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:43 am 

Doctor Who, of the 60s and 70s especially, although there were some really good stories in the 80s as well. Blake's 7 was also a really fantastic show full of interesting characters/antiheroes and has pretty much the bleakest ending of any series out there. The Prisoner, too, if you count that as SF, which I basically do...

I dont' know much about new shows. I kidn of got over Star Trek years ago but Deep SPace 9 is still a really, really good show.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:27 pm 

Shit, I need to watch Blake's 7 still, I hear a lot about it. So much for watching something new...

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:22 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Have any good sci-fi shows come out within the last 5 years? I just realized the most recent ones I've watched ended quite a while ago and nothing's really picked up the slack.

You know, there's actually been quite a bevy of big-budget, network/upper tier cable sci-fi shows in the last half-decade, probably spurred in large part by Avatar and Star Trek '09's resounding success: Terra Nova, Falling Skies, Outcasts, FlashForward, Fringe, The Event, V, Revolution, Alcatraz, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, and probably a few more I'll think of a fraction of a second after I hit 'post'...

Unfortunately, every. single. one. of those was utter dross and a complete waste of time. Sad, really, because the production values for each of them was really, really good.

Abominatrix wrote:
The Prisoner, too, if you count that as SF, which I basically do...

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd consider it sci-fi either, but regardless, it's fucking amazing and still remains surprisingly relevant and topical to this day (the role of govt., the merits of creativity that otherwise has no practical use or application in a society, giant exercise balls swallowing people whole, etc...)
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:50 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
failsafeman wrote:
Have any good sci-fi shows come out within the last 5 years? I just realized the most recent ones I've watched ended quite a while ago and nothing's really picked up the slack.

You know, there's actually been quite a bevy of big-budget, network/upper tier cable sci-fi shows in the last half-decade, probably spurred in large part by Avatar and Star Trek '09's resounding success: Terra Nova, Falling Skies, Outcasts, FlashForward, Fringe, The Event, V, Revolution, Alcatraz, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, and probably a few more I'll think of a fraction of a second after I hit 'post'...

Unfortunately, every. single. one. of those was utter dross and a complete waste of time. Sad, really, because the production values for each of them was really, really good.

Yeah, I've seen an episode or two of most of those. It's hard to exactly pinpoint what the common thread in their failures is, but it seems like it's because they're trying to recreate Avatar's and Nu-Trek's success - i.e. big epic sci-fi SFX action extravaganzas (hence the good production values) that rely more on spectacle that good writing, which can work in a movie but just doesn't translate well into a longer, episodic series. Earlier (good) sci-fi shows had the sense not to try to recreate the plodding spectacle of 2001 and Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

sparklewhooves1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:20 pm 

the original dr.who without a doubt the low budget qualities were so amazing about it.

but star trek tng comes close aswell

Ian “Lemmy” Kilmister of Motorhead - 2006

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:32 pm 

I really liked DS9 and some of the Next Generation is stellar as well. I loved the story arc in DS9 the most, it has one of the best bad guys in any TV show. Plus some of the standalone episodes were really great (Hard Time = holy shit).

BSG is probably my favourite, it kinda got worse as it went on, but even then it was still better than the vast majority of TV shows. The first season is pretty much all great, even the episodes that should be filler (the one where Ellen Tigh comes into it for example is pretty awesome). One major highlight in that show is the New Caprica arc in season 2 and 3, the conclusion was amazing at the time. I remember watching it with my brothers, good times.

Farscape needs a mention as well. Amazing production work, great stories and some really unique ideas. I'm sad they canned it, but happy we got the wrap up for it eventually. The puppets have a lot of personality. Scorpius was another awesome villain. Kill her John, then we'll have pizza, AND MAGHERITA SHOOTERS :lol:

And a guilty pleasure here, Stargate SG1. Largely the same kind of resolutions in a lot of the episodes, but the cast and the dialogue make it very enjoyable to me.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:36 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Earlier (good) sci-fi shows had the sense not to try to recreate the plodding spectacle of 2001 and Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

With the possible exception of Glen A. Larson's humongous budget 1978 Mormon propaganda vehicle Battlestar Galact... wait, you wrote "good," never mind.

Speaking of old sci-fi shows, what are people's thoughts on Gerry Anderson's TV shows? I watched Captain Scarlet religiously as a pre-adolescent, but outside of Space Precinct (which was... horrible), I haven't dug too deep. I understand that Space 1999 is not only considered Anderson's best, but it's widely regarded as one of the best sci-fi shows of the 70's. Has anyone here seen it?

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:43 pm 

Sliders

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:13 pm 

Sliders was a great comedy. A good show in general, but very entertaining on a funnybone level. They really brought back the glory of the TNG awkward dork-savantism. Haven't seen the later seasons where it started having a story. Should check on that.

Anyone else seen or is a fan of Space Precinct? A shockingly excellent sci-fi cop comedy. I like the rubber suits. They could have used computers, but they did it the RIGHT way!

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:01 am 

I used to LOVE X-files but it got really inconsistent after a while- and it wasn't just because Duchovney wasn't on it, rather the writing got really inconsistent and oftentimes, really, really cheezy toward the end (I actually LIKED the John Dogget character, just not the writing.)

Original series of "Dr. Who" was good but it suffered from laughably poor production. I like the remake better, although I sometimes find the stories somewhat "rushed" since the pace is too fast to allow for much suspense or character development. Eccleson's doctor was my favorate DOCTOR, for what it's worth. Meaning, I liked his character the best, if not his actual stories. (A couple of the guys who played the lead role in the mid-late 80s, toward the end of the original show's run, were pretty bad, I must say) But unfortunately, the script writing and storylines in the new series took a couple seasons to really get their footing and so the Tennant and Smith era episodes are much, much better, story wise. So I would actually say that "Dr. Who" is currently my favorate sci-fi show.

I still get a kick out of the original Star Trek. Sipping on tranya and watching Kirk &co. explore strange new worlds that always seemed to look like the Mojave Desert.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:22 am 

Yeah, I remember Space Precinct showing on Sunday mornings here on a local channel. That was so long ago but I remember thinking it was cool and worth getting up early for. Have it on my torrent list so hope it stands the test of time.

Anybody seen the Alien Nation series and the TV Movies? I don't know how I ever thought the show was too creepy to stay up for as a kid when I'd see Monsters and Tales From the Darkside with no problem. I don't know, something about their heads, which is another reason why I couldn't and still can't watch The Elephant Man all the way through.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:06 am 

I really, reallllly want to start a Powerviolence band called Edith Keeler Must Die. I'm a huge Star Trek: TOS fan.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:03 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Defiance is okay, I don't really have any actual problems with it (in terms of acting, writing, production values, whatever), but it lacks in... charm, maybe? I'm just not really thrilled to see the future episodes or excited when it's on. It's mildly entertaining and has potential, though. Hopefully it'll become more exciting later.

This is pretty much how I feel about the show. It's ably done all around, but misses a certain something (as of yet). I'm just not thinking "woooo, new Defiance" whenever a new episode is on. But I'm still optimistic that it will find its voice and develop more compelling episodes/story arcs later on. It certainly hasn't gotten worse since the pilot. :P

I can also vouch for Orphan Black being one of the best sci-fi series (or series in general) currently running. The lead actress does an amazing job.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:32 am 

nekuomanteia wrote:

5. Defiance has a cool concept, good stories, and all the cgi and tech you may want except I find the acting bland and uninspired. Like Continuum, I feel nothing for any of the characters and would rather have the show go back and start from scratch. The over all quality of the alien/creature makeup effects sucks which is a shame as you would have thought most people would have seen Farscpae and learnt something by now.

i like the series but i hope it eventually goes somewhere, its an enjoyable show imo but like star gate universe we were never really introduced to an enemy until it got cancelled(what i dont want to happen to Defiance because i see a lot of potential in it) there are a few thing happening in the series apart from the stand alone events that happen in every episode but not that much

also not a fan of the random dancing and singing

also a fan of V, stargate Atlantis, didnt mind universe also i am really enjoying falling skies

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:13 pm 

There are few sci-fi series worse than Sliders, but Space Precinct is definitely, definitely one of them. Just unspeakably horrible in every imaginable way; take the mawkish "primetime family drama" junk from Terra Nova (replete with "life lessons" rounding out the end of every episode) and fuse it to boring and sexist late-eighties cop shows like T.J. Hooker; throw in some horrendously designed aliens that all look like variations on Admiral Akbar and you have a very basic outline of the sort of soul-crushing awfulness that is Space Precinct.

Literally the only amusing thing in the entire 24 episode run (Idris Elba/The Wire fans, don't miss this)

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:15 am 

Honestly, my favorite sci-fi show is Futurama. It's brilliant both as comedy and as sci-fi, and it's got some of the best characters in TV history. Bender's Big Score is probably the best time-travel movie I've ever seen. I'm sad and glad at the same time that it's coming to an end (again), but it's secured its legacy.

For more traditional shows, I like Star Trek: The Original Series and The Twilight Zone (if that counts). Star Trek was a fun show with great characters, and even though the stories weren't always that good, it was still enjoyable. The Twilight Zone was genius, and it has yet to be topped. I've seen a lot of these episodes countless times, and they never get old. Timeless.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 was amazing as well. Not much else to say really, but I'd hate to live in a world without this show.

Most modern sci-fi shows can fuck off, including Firefly. I don't know why everyone wanks that show so hard.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:55 am 

Thiestru wrote:
Most modern sci-fi shows can fuck off, including Firefly.

The obvious question is: Y?

I'm by no means a Joss Whedon fanboy (in fact, what I've seen of Buffy and Angel makes me want to repeatedly rape my eye sockets with an ice pick), but Firefly and its companion movie were really quite fun and about as close to the awkward phrase "intergalactic western space romp" as I've seen on TV. It's probably overrated, sure, just because there doesn't seem to be anyone on the internet who hasn't rated it, but it definitely shouldn't "fuck off." Or do you just hate Zac Efron that much?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:57 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
failsafeman wrote:
Earlier (good) sci-fi shows had the sense not to try to recreate the plodding spectacle of 2001 and Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

With the possible exception of Glen A. Larson's humongous budget 1978 Mormon propaganda vehicle Battlestar Galact... wait, you wrote "good," never mind.

Man, I didn't even like the new BSG. I couldn't even get through it, crapped out somewhere in the second season once all that "prophecy" bullshit started coming to the fore. The writing in that was just so fucking irritating. Hey let's have Starbuck do totally idiotic stuff all the time but it works out thanks to absurd coincidence so nobody minds her blatant insubordination!!

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:14 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Shit, I need to watch Blake's 7 still, I hear a lot about it. So much for watching something new...

I have a lot of love for that show and it blew my mind when I first saw it as a kid. One or two repeat viewings since then have mostly served to increase my appreciation. It's an interesting contrast to modern shows in that you can really tell they made it all up as they went along. It's like the Anti-Babylon 5, in a way...dont' know if you've ever seen that show but it quickly irritated me how seemingly every event and conversation from the second season onward was planted as some bit of foreshadowing or ominous portent. Life just isn't like that at all. Anyway, B7 seemed to fly by the seat of its pants most of hte time and while there are some genuine "WTF is going on" moments (like when due to contractual disagreement or something one of the main antagonists is suddenly played by a different actorin the second season), it generally holds together pretty well considering they really had no idea where they were going to take it when it all started. The characters are pretty interesting, and Supreme Commander/President Servalan is probably my favourite on-screen villainess.

You might be interested to know as well that Tanith Lee wrote episodes of seasons three and four.

Last edited by Abominatrix on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:08 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
Honestly, my favorite sci-fi show is Futurama. It's brilliant both as comedy and as sci-fi, and it's got some of the best characters in TV history. Bender's Big Score is probably the best time-travel movie I've ever seen. I'm sad and glad at the same time that it's coming to an end (again), but it's secured its legacy.

Futurama was good in early seasons, but rapidly turned to utter shit.

Quote:
Most modern sci-fi shows can fuck off, including Firefly. I don't know why everyone wanks that show so hard.

Because of the awesome cast, awesome writing, clever humour, awesomely quotable dialogue and pretty much awesome everything?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:35 pm 

I liked Firefly quite a bit, but I think it's become rather overrated, possibly due to its "martyr" status. What's really irritating though is that practically every other sci-fi show got way better after the first season, and we never got the chance to see that same sort of improvement in Firefly. Can you imagine the show with the actors more comfortable in their roles, the writers having a better idea of what works for the show, and with enough history that the backstories are more than just sketches?

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:07 pm 

Mystery Science Theater 3000 :-D

It's one of my all time favorite shows, but okay if we're talking serious scifi I'd say The X-files and probably Firefly!

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Last edited by Ravenlord266 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:20 pm 

Ravenlord266 wrote:
Mystery Science Theater 3000 :-D

It's one of my all time favorite shows, but okay if we're taking serious scifi I'd say The X-files and probably Firefly!

mST3k was pretty fun at times, but honestly I'd rather watch the old movies without the ...extra stuff, most of the time.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:48 pm 

I'm assuming you mean the host segments between the movies? I personally love those, they're very charming; on the other hand I just love the show's characters so that's a big factor :)

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:58 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Thiestru wrote:

Futurama was good in early seasons, but rapidly turned to utter shit.

I'm by no means a Futurama fanboy (I've probably only seen about half the series), but implying that this season 6 episode is "utter shit" is just... horrifying. It's probably the single best half-hour of animation I've ever seen.

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:07 pm 

I really enjoyed The outer limits including the modern ones. Great stories and I am a sucker for any doomsday related themes

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:05 pm 

Firefly just got on my nerves. There was nothing awesome about it. Didn't like the story, didn't like the characters, didn't like the dialog, didn't like the show. It came across like the makers of the show seemed to think that what they were doing was really very clever, and it wasn't. I fucking hate shows and movies that revolve around a 'fast-talking, hip cast'. See also: that piece of shit new show Betas.

And no, Futurama did not turn to shit, amazingly. But as I said, I'm glad it's ending before it does become shitty. I was really surprised that the newer seasons have been as good as they are, but if it had only lasted the four original seasons, I'd have been content too.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:52 pm 

Quote:
There was nothing awesome about it. Didn't like the story, didn't like the characters, didn't like the dialog, didn't like the show.

That's okay. Some people just aren't born with no souls (see: gingers, Firefly haters). Not much you can do about them except pity them. ;)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:28 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
[Firefly] came across like the makers of the show seemed to think that what they were doing was really very clever, and it wasn't.

The thing is, at that time it aired it actually was "really very clever," especially if you factor in the toxic state of sci-fi on TV (where pretty much only Star Trek was holding the fort and even that was getting stale). The funny thing is, I'd typically pretty much agree with you; Joss Whedon's whole "let's do the opposite of genre expectations to make people think we're clever rather than actually being clever by being original" is getting very wearisome at this point, with the most egregious example being the execrable "Cabin in the Woods" :puke: . I just don't think these same attacks can be leveled at Firefly, though, because there was actually a show underneath the veneer of the (sometimes annoying) 'cleverness.'

Thiestru wrote:
See also: that piece of shit new show Betas.

I knew I missed (at least) one! Betas is another "sci-fi show of the past five years" that has amazing production values and literally nothing else. It is indeed a piece of shit.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:05 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Quote:
There was nothing awesome about it. Didn't like the story, didn't like the characters, didn't like the dialog, didn't like the show.

That's okay. Some people just aren't born with no souls (see: gingers, Firefly haters). Not much you can do about them except pity them. ;)

Haha, fair enough, Morrigan. ;) Maybe I'll have to watch it again and reassess it. I've been known to change my mind about things before.

darkeningday wrote:
I knew I missed (at least) one! Betas is another "sci-fi show of the past five years" that has amazing production values and literally nothing else. It is indeed a piece of shit.

Cheers. :beer:

Slaytanic55
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:15 pm 

I just watched the first part to The Ark in Space, and I've decided that I was too harsh on classic DW in my last post. There are most definitely some, or perhaps many (I haven't seen too much classic DW) very good episodes. The Ark in Space is most definitely one of them. Now, new DW and classic DW are about equal in my mind. I guess Doctor Who, through and through, is and has always been a very quality show!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:52 pm 

It'd be easy to hate Firefly given the obnoxious Whedon fanboys/girls and all of that, but it really is a good show.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:03 pm 

^ Indeed. I hated what little I saw of Buffy, and while I liked Dollhouse it's not without its flaws, so I can scarcely be called a Whedon fangirl. Firefly is really just that good. I have yet to watch anything else that came close. Jaynestown, Shindig and Out of Gas have to be some of the finest TV ever made.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:59 am 

Slaytanic55 wrote:
new DW and classic DW are about equal in my mind.

:nono:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next