Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:07 pm 

Posted on Finntroll's facebook.

Lock up your rum, women and men of god indeed, for Finntroll will be touring the US and Canada with our friends Blackguard and Metsatöll!!

11/04/13 West Springfield VA - Empire
11/05/13 New York City NY - Stage 48
11/09/13 Worcester MA - The Palladium
11/10/13 Pittsburgh MA - Altar Bar
11/11/13 Cleveland OH - Peabody's
11/13/13 Joliet IL - Mojoes
11/14/13 St Paul MN - Station 4
11/15/13 Winnipeg MB - The Zoo
11/16/13 Regina SK - The Exchange
11/17/13 Calgary AL - The Repulik
11/18/13 Edmonton AL - Pawn Shop
11/20/13 Vancouver BC - Red Room
11/21/13 Seattle WA - El Corazon
11/22/13 Portland OR - Hawthorne Theatre
11/23/13 San Francisco CA - Slim's
11/24/13 Anaheim CA -The Grove
11/26/13 Las Vegas NV - LVCS
11/27/13 Tempe AZ - Rocky Point Cantina
11/29/13 Salt Lake City UT - In the Venue
11/30/13 Denver CO - Bluebird Theater
12/01/13 Lawrence KS - Granada
12/02/13 Dallas TX - Trees
12/03/13 San Antonio TX - Backstage Live
12/04/13 Houston TX - Scout Bar
12/06/13 Tampa FL - Orpheum
12/07/13 Atlanta GA - The Masquerade
12/08/13 Louisville KY - Diamond Pub and Billiards
12/09/13 Frederick MD - Cafe 611

Finntroll in Canada in August:

8/11/2013 Montreal QC - Heavy MTL Festival
8/12/2013 Toronto ON - Opera House

Tickets available at http://www.enterthevault.com

The Toronto show, as far as I know, features Havok, Nordheim and Trollband, rather than Blackguard and Metsatöll.

Going to do my best to make it to the Toronto date and also make it to the Wintersun show the day before. \m/

Last edited by Commandaunt on Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:24 pm 

Might go see this one in Edmonton. While I'm not the biggest Blackguard fan, I still did have to leave the Soilwork show I saw partway through and miss two bands, one of which was Blackguard. Never heard of Metsatoll. I do like Finntroll, they're pretty fun.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:40 pm 

Great tour too bad it's not coming to the Philadelphia area...

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:10 pm 

Yeah well you guys are getting Amaranthe :P (Although I am coming up there to see them!)

This, along with Alestorm show around the same time, are my two not to miss shows this winter \m/

Metsatöll is an Estonian folk metal band. This is my favorite song of theirs: http://youtu.be/--i3pwGGabE (Partly for the video :P) I like how their vocals have this serious or melancholy feel which is typical of actual Baltic folk songs.

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:48 pm 

Oh my god! What a show this was. Every band was fantastic - Havok had the tightest sound I'd ever heard and were extremely lively, Nordheim played some fantastic folk metal, trollband was just all around fun as hell and Finntroll was just...How do I even begin to describe how great they were haha. Awesome presence, great sound (for the most part) and just all around incredible. I even caught the setlist that was thrown into the crowd :)

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:35 pm 

I think that's a different tour, man. Havok with Finntroll? That's an interesting combination, although not the strangest one I've heard of. I'm sad I missed their headline show around here (Washington, DC area) recently.

Although I like Metsatoll and love, love, love Blackguard, I almost wish we got the line-up you saw, since I've never seen any of those supporting bands :P

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:38 pm 

Finntroll was only playing two shows in Canada, and the Toronto date just happened to line up with the Havok date. It was an incredible combination - I wish all tours were like that, keeps it super interesting and variety is always nice. Nordheim is good for sure, but definitely check out Trollband - some awesome folk metal.

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:26 pm 

I finally got around to checking out Trollband. You're right, they're pretty awesome. Nice melodic intros, really dark vocals, and a cool harsh folk metal sound all around.

An update on the tour, the Finntroll show on Dec 9 has been moved to Cafe 611 in Frederick, MD. So I'm gonna see them at both Empire and Cafe 611 - the first and last shows of the tour! How could I not go to the Cafe 611 show - that place is tiny, the band will practically be in the crowd :D

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:21 am 

Date's been edited. I'm actually really jealous of everybody seeing this tour in nov/dec (Especially you, seeing them twice in a row - lucky!) .. Even though I already saw it in August, I reallllllly wanna go again. Was front row centre & Vreth was right in front of me the whole time - it juuuuuust might have been the best thing I've ever experienced.

Got pics with trollband after the show btw. Cool guys! The vocalist gave me their album free cuz he put his foot on my face during their set lol.
Spoiler: show

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:53 pm 

Cool. You might also want to change the city - Cafe 611 is in Frederick, MD :) I do wonder how crowded that show will be - will people who hoped to see them in Baltimore trek out to Frederick, or will they opt to see them at Empire instead? I think they're both about equally far away, though there might be less traffic going to Frederick.

Nice pic! Which one are you? And..HOW did the singer manage to step on your face? O.o Nice that you got a cd out of it, though!

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:54 am 

Okay, I think I got it right this time hah. Im in the back, fourth from the right with the wrist band - Just barely visible. Anyway, uh, just between vocal sections he came over and he .. put his foot on my face - like this - He also put his bass in this one guys face and he bit the strings lol.

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:21 pm 

Eh, sorry, I disappeared for a while. Wow, that's insane!

Less than a week to go till the first show! Anyone else going to the Empire date next Monday? :D A bunch of good locals are opening - Yesterday's Saints (thrashy something?), Aether Realm (Viking metal) and Sekengard (a brand new folk metal band. I think this will be their first show so come support them!). After seeing Arkona on Monday, I'm so pumped for more folk metal :D I hear Blackguard is even going to play some of their old Profugus Mortis stuff, according to their facebook page. I think I'm most excited for Metsatöll though - I've gotten really into them lately.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:02 am 

Anyone else see this yet? I'm going to it tomorrow!

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:26 pm 

Fantastic show, was not disappointed! Definitely one of the better one's I've been to. Here's a quick impression.

Metsatöll was up first (much to my confusion as I thought Blackguard was opening). While I'm not the biggest fan of their music and some of their odd time signatures were awkward to headbang to, they still had a good show. All the members had quite the energy. The drummer, while not playing the fastest or most complicating beats around, still had very intricate and interesting patterns. By the far the highlight was the band member Varulven. He was the 'folk' member playing all the weird instruments (and lots of them). Here's a list of what he played from their MA page: Guitars, Estonian Bagpipes, Zithers, Flutes, Jew's harp, Vocals. He played those bagpipers were were not traditional at all and looked weird. He played a bow and string instrument, an incredibly unorthodox instrument that doesn't have frets for the strings or even a neck to press against but instead what looked like a hollow area in the neck that your fingers go through and bend the strings. He was playing the zither, a harp-like instrument that had also had an incredibly weird fret system. He had a Jew's Harp, some weird tiny thing thing that you could barely hear. And finally he also played the flute, recorder, and only for the final song, guitar. And on top of all of this, when he wasn't blowing or playing like crazy, he was singing along contributing the deep vocals. Good opening band, and pretty long to boot (50~ minutes).

Next was Blackguard. These guys definitely surprised me the most. I already knew some of their songs and knew of them for a long time so I was mildly excited for them. When they came on, they never stood in one spot. There are very few frontman that have as much energy as Blackguard's frontman. He was walking everyone, headbanging, windmilling, interacting with the crowd, talking to the crowd, playing air guitar, all that. He even grabbed my throat and grabbed the top of my head a couple times, just for an excuse to interact (I was front row). Whenever they would get the crowd to chant "Hey!" or whenever there would be a really obvious lyric in a song that many people would know (like "This is a fire, this is a firefight!" or "Scarlet to snow!" or "This round's on me!", he would hang the microphone in the crowd for someone to shout a long. I can guarantee that if these guys ever come by again, I'm going to learn the lyrics to their entire set since this is definitely a vocalist who would let you sing along. My only complaint with Blackguard is 3 of their 9 songs were new ones (good songs nonetheless, but obviously no one knows how they go) and the mixing (drums were too loud and symphonics were to quiet). Otherwise, awesome set!

Finally, Finntroll came on stage. The reason everyone came for. There's not much to say so I'll keep it short. They didn't stand still but after Blackguard's set, they did seem a bit tired. They all had face makeup and fake troll ears on. Even Brandon Ellis from Arsis (who is touring with the band for I have no reason) had face makeup on, but no ears. Finntroll played a whopping 20 song set (counting 2 intros and an interlude). There wasn't a weak song in their set. My only disappointment would be that they slowed down some of their faster songs a tad (Although as a little bit of redemption, instead of fading out at the end of the song 'Drap', they had a blast beat section which I enjoyed too much for some reason). They closed with an old one and left the stage. No one was chanting for an encore so I had to start it myself. We chanted "One more song!" for a bit, though one guy in the crowd turned one of the onstage mics and started chanting into it. One of the Finntroll tech guys came out looking pissed and looked like he was going to punch the guy in the face. The chant died down but still no Finntroll. I yelled a couple more times and they finally came out, giving a 2 song encore and ending with a crowd favorite.

All in all it was a fantastic show and I'm glad I skipped the first half of my friend's birthday party at a smoking lounge and that I skipped Lamb of God's show 2.5 hours away. One of the better ones. I really like how they only had 3 bands but each band had at least a 45 minute set. There was a lot less wasted intermission time.

I managed to get guitar picks from each band. At the end of Metsatöll's set, one of the guitarists, who saw me at the front banging along, walked to the front of the stage and threw his pick. It did not go far at all and my skyward-reached hand caught it amongst a couple other hands. For Blackguard, the lead (and live-only) guitarist dropped a pick from somewhere during a tapping solo. I thought it may have been the one he was holding. I picked it up and when the tap solo was done, offered it to him. I held it out for a couple seconds but he didn't even acknowledge it so I pocketed it. Finntroll was the most humbling. After their show but before their encore, they were taking off the stage. I started talking to the girl standing beside me. All of a sudden I felt a tap on my shoulder and there was the guitarist handing me the pick. I felt a little bad since he was outright handing it to me and I wasn't paying attention. He saw me right at the front banging along and following all the songs since I knew them all. I definitely bumped his fist at the end of their show.

Here's pick pictures:
Spoiler: show
Image Image

And here's the setlists I posted:
Metsatöll: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metsatoll ... 4f70b.html
Blackguard: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/blackguar ... 4f709.html
Finntroll: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/finntroll ... 4f70a.html

Reply to topic