Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:39 pm 

I don't hear any black metal in Disfear. They've been around since the late 80s/early 90s, long before the 2 genres mixed. ANd I just have to mention that A Brutal Sight of War is amazing! And Wolfbrigade is definitely free of black metal as well. They're straight up crusty D-Beat. Whenever I think of crusty black metal I always think of Iskra.

untappd: patrick_g

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:25 pm 

So, someone created a really stupid tag on last.fm: "Mysterious Guy Hardcore". It has a lot of bands in it, though, and I have checked a handful of them out and happened to really enjoy a few of them.

I'm looking for recommendations for more bands that sound similar to Condominium, Gay Kiss, NASA Space Universe, etc.

Basically, modern (meaning bands formed within the last several years. Preferably still active) hardcore that has a lot of angular-but-catchy riffing, strong bass guitar presence, harshly-shouted vocals, raw and somewhat noisy production and a chaotic/"spazzy" feel overall, with a good deal of influence coming from late 80's and/or late 90's Hardcore.

Something that is conducive to a drunken house show setting without being self aware and "ironically fun/happy" party-band bullshit, m'kay? It doesn't have to be some really serious band or anything, I just don't want something that sounds completely phony. And please, no hype-machine bullcrap bands, either. I don't care if they're obscure or well-known, I just don't want some hipster-fuckwit indie music press pet bands with demo tapes and 7" EP's selling for $10 or more, or some bullshit like that. Fuck that shit. GET OUT OF MY PUNK ROCK, WHORES.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:22 pm 

the_raytownian wrote:

Basically, modern (meaning bands formed within the last several years. Preferably still active) hardcore that has a lot of angular-but-catchy riffing, strong bass guitar presence, harshly-shouted vocals, raw and somewhat noisy production and a chaotic/"spazzy" feel overall, with a good deal of influence coming from late 80's and/or late 90's Hardcore.

Something that is conducive to a drunken house show setting without being self aware and "ironically fun/happy" party-band bullshit, m'kay? It doesn't have to be some really serious band or anything, I just don't want something that sounds completely phony. And please, no hype-machine bullcrap bands, either. I don't care if they're obscure or well-known, I just don't want some hipster-fuckwit indie music press pet bands with demo tapes and 7" EP's selling for $10 or more, or some bullshit like that. Fuck that shit. GET OUT OF MY PUNK ROCK, WHORES.

my buddies had a noise rock/hardcore band Acid Problem. Might be what you're after? http://acidproblem.bandcamp.com/track/the-u-s-of-oi

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:26 am 

Hey Ray, check out vaginors. They may be right up your alley.

I fucking hate Mysterious guy hardcore. Shit is mad whack. I would apply that to a lot of stuff on Youth Attack.

HeWhoIsInTheWater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:18 pm 

I've been digging a lot of Girl on Fire and Soul Control lately, as well as some Defeater. Also, Vanna and Kicker. Any similar recommendations?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:33 pm 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
I fucking hate Mysterious guy hardcore. Shit is mad whack. I would apply that to a lot of stuff on Youth Attack.

I thought mysterious guy hardcore was just Powerviolence bands who played live wearing ski masks and not really related to Youth Attack?

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:05 pm 

RE: Blackened punk/crust - Check out Infernal Stronghold, though they do have some thrashy bits in there too.
http://infernalstronghold.bandcamp.com/album/pests
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:42 pm 

iAm wrote:
xThe__Wizard wrote:

I thought mysterious guy hardcore was just Powerviolence bands who played live wearing ski masks and not really related to Youth Attack?

I think it's just some retarded descriptor that only exists as a joke on the internet. :scratch:

Anyway, Acid Problem sounded pretty good. Vaginors were okay, except the vocals seemed a little too intentionally "wacky" for what I am after...

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:06 pm 

As the other guy mentioned in the previous page, this is Cursed's 'God and Country' from the album 'One'. I'm really liking it haha
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

EternalOath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:21 pm 

My recommendations would be gag, they have a new record coming out and I have high hopes for it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnMuLk7KKJE

Also, my favorite active punk bands would be Anasazi, Perdition and Culo. If you don't knowthen you need to know

EternalOath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:22 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= Shit is great punk/hardcore/goth

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:30 pm 

So I LOVE the Punk band The Exploited, especially their 1983 album "Lets Start a War...Said Maggie One Day".

First, do they have any other albums and if so, how many and what are they titled?

2nd, what style of punk would you guys refer to them as??

Are they anarcho punk?

Cause I like Crass and all, but that's what I think of when I think of Anarcho and I think The Exploited are way heavier.

However, they don't really have the Crust Punk or D-Beat sound to my ears.

I could see them as being a punk band that could have influenced a lot of metal bands. They almost strike me as sort of like early Punk rock's answer to Venom....without having anything to do with Satanic lyrics or imagery....just the kind of general "fuck you" attitude and the very heavy bass lines.

Seems to me like Dark Throne would probably be into them and maybe even covering them with all their focus on punk and crust lately.

Not including Crust punk, I would have to say the only Punk bands I liked as much as them are Iggy and the Stooges and the Dead Kennedys.

and finally, 3rd) Have any metal bands ever listened them as an influence before??

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:48 pm 

Hold on, dude. I'm going to show you something that's going to blow your mind.

http://www.wikipedia.org

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:22 pm 

Obvious question, sure, but I'll at least attempt to answer some of the inquiry, instead of just dismissing it entirely... if only for the sake of this thread remaining active/informative, and not just turning into a smarm factory:

The Exploited are (or were) pretty much a textbook example of the genre, "Street Punk", which is basically an anathema to Anarcho-Punk and vice-versa. There's even at least one example of Crass subtly poking fun at The Exploited in the border text of their Merry Crassmas EP. and I don't know it for a fact, but it just seems like The Exploited's "Punk's Not Dead" could only be a response to Crass's "Punk Is Dead".

Anyway, a lot of Metal bands have been influenced by The Exploited. I'm pretty sure "Sex & Violence" has been covered about 50 times. Off the top of my head, I know Carnivore did a cover of that song.

Also, regarding the links posted above, I still need to listen to those recommendations, assuming they are related to my latest request. Thanks in advance, though.

EDIT: Oh! and I am on a ridiculous Leatherface kick right now. Surprisingly enough, I've never taken the time to hear Hot Water Music. Are they worth my time for something similar (more importantly, what's the best release to start with)? And what are some other similarly melodic punk bands that might be pigeonholed as "Emo"?

I need more shit like Leatherface in my life. Please don't give me a bunch of shitty "Celtic Punk" recs based on Leatherface's vocalist, though.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:48 am 

Exploited went from street punk to hardcore to metal-thrash-punk during their career. All eras are consistently good IMHO. And there is medley of Exploited tunes covered by Slayer with Ice T (strange but true).

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:57 am 

the_raytownian wrote:
The Exploited are (or were) pretty much a textbook example of the genre, "Street Punk", which is basically an anathema to Anarcho-Punk and vice-versa. There's even at least one example of Crass subtly poking fun at The Exploited in the border text of their Merry Crassmas EP. and I don't know it for a fact, but it just seems like The Exploited's "Punk's Not Dead" could only be a response to Crass's "Punk Is Dead".

The Exploited can be lumped into the UK82 scene along with like The Varukers, Charged GBH and Discharge. Definitely more "fuck you" kind of punk instead of "save the world" peace punk shit that was happening during that time.

Carnivore did not cover The Exploited. THe songs just have the same name. The Carnivore song is mad sick.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:17 pm 

Not really a request for a recommendation, but has anybody here purchased any of the Rudimentary Peni vinyl reissues? How is the packaging/artwork/extras, and overall sound? Very excited to buy these, but was curious to see how they turned out.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:33 pm 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
the_raytownian wrote:

The Exploited can be lumped into the UK82 scene along with like The Varukers, Charged GBH and Discharge. Definitely more "fuck you" kind of punk instead of "save the world" peace punk shit that was happening during that time.

Carnivore did not cover The Exploited. THe songs just have the same name. The Carnivore song is mad sick.

lol, shows how much I don't like The Exploited. I always assumed it was a cover since I recognize the title as Exploited, even though I never listen to them (yeah, I am in the Crass hippie camp).

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:30 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
Not really a request for a recommendation, but has anybody here purchased any of the Rudimentary Peni vinyl reissues? How is the packaging/artwork/extras, and overall sound? Very excited to buy these, but was curious to see how they turned out.

Who put them out and when? I'd really like to get a copy of Death Church.

Morton Salt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:04 pm 

The Exploited have some really good albums, the best one probably being Troops of Tomorrow. A lot of their shit thrashes. I can understand not being a fan of what they stand for but they do have some songs that are killer.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:53 am 

God damn, Iron Age's The Sleeping Eye is sick. RIFFS.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:44 am 

Numerator_41 wrote:
Who put them out and when? I'd really like to get a copy of Death Church.

Southern Records out of the UK did Cacophony and Pope Adrian 37th Psychristiatric. I think another label did a recent reissue of Death Church, should be able to find it on discogs or something.

DestruicaoMetalica
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:40 pm 

What would people recommend for melodic hardcore? I've been looking for a while with Last.FM among other sources, but the problem is that oftentimes what is called melodic hardcore is really just melodic metalcore with a slightly larger than usual hardcore influence, and I want as few breakdowns as possible. Some bands of the style that I'm into include Defeater, In My Eyes, Champion, Have Heart, and This Is Your Life. Melodic crust would be cool as well, like Tragedy or Wolfbrigade.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:08 pm 

My favorite melodic hardcore band by a mile is Strike Anywhere. Change Is a Sound is a fantastic album.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:50 pm 

DestruicaoMetalica wrote:
What would people recommend for melodic hardcore? I've been looking for a while with Last.FM among other sources, but the problem is that oftentimes what is called melodic hardcore is really just melodic metalcore with a slightly larger than usual hardcore influence, and I want as few breakdowns as possible. Some bands of the style that I'm into include Defeater, In My Eyes, Champion, Have Heart, and This Is Your Life. Melodic crust would be cool as well, like Tragedy or Wolfbrigade.

For melodic crust like Tragedy, you should check out Landbridge: http://landbridgerocknroll.bandcamp.com/
I feel like I should have other bands to recommend, but I can't remember any other names of the top of my head.

On another note, can anyone recommend any crust/hardcore like Masakari?

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:20 pm 

So I have been listening to a lot of Poison Idea lately and honestly there is no hardcore punk band that can even touch them. One of the few hardcore bands that actually made it past 86, and got fucking better somehow. Perfect band in my opinion.

Anyone else a fan?

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:50 pm 

YES!

Some buddies of mine are in a band that bears some similarities to the mighty PI.
http://derniercombat.bandcamp.com/

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:02 pm 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
So I have been listening to a lot of Poison Idea lately and honestly there is no hardcore punk band that can even touch them. One of the few hardcore bands that actually made it past 86, and got fucking better somehow. Perfect band in my opinion.

Anyone else a fan?

Not to seem too sarcastic, but I think everyone who likes Punk likes Poison Idea.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:40 am 

Well there may be people who don't really know them.

War All The Time is definitely becoming my favorites, with Pick Your King and Feel the Darkness close behind.

ThrashAD720
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:51 am 

Best Ska Punk bands?

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:37 am 

ThrashAD720 wrote:
Best Ska Punk bands?

none. but if you have to go there the only remotely good ones are choking victim/loc

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:13 pm 

FleshMonolith wrote:
ThrashAD720 wrote:
Best Ska Punk bands?

none. but if you have to go there the only remotely good ones are choking victim/loc

This is basically true... but then CV/LOC aren't even that good. I think their weirdly obsessive fans might be worse, though.
Propagandhi's not so great though, either, to be fair... :-P

ThrashAD720
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:45 pm 

I knew asking about Ska Punk on here was a bad idea.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:35 am 

Not sure what you're trying to imply, but if you knew, why did you bother?

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:41 am 

thrashAD720 wrote:
I knew asking about Ska Punk on here was a bad idea.

the_raytownian wrote:
Not sure what you're trying to imply, but if you knew, why did you bother?

Now, now. I was just trying to be funny (although I'm 100% right). I'm sure there are plenty of people who like that stuff. Asking is fine, I'm sure mods would back that up as well as those who like Ska Punk.

Melmoth_the_Wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:04 am 

Not 100% right as there is some good (dark) Ska for metalheads about:

Leper from Canada, part of the RABM scene*, but hefty amounts of blackened ska: http://youtu.be/tMfSKr1cVkY

Dancehall Satan from Germany, more Ska same degree of blackness http://youtu.be/l_cVadN_AFE

...and the daddies of it all (mentioned above, but so what...), one of Crack Rock Steady Seven's heavy numbers: Heroin or Suicide? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoWdceZ7JzM Paaaaaaaaaiiiiiin!

*edit: They're not RABM, just a crust band with black influences, got a bit mixed up.

Last edited by Melmoth_the_Wanderer on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
metallicbrian666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:28 pm 

The new Kromosom is out, and it's noisy as fuck

http://kromosom.bandcamp.com/album/nuclear-reich

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:37 pm 

oooh good lookin' out!

Also, anyone who isn't familiar with Impalers (TX) should rectify that.
http://trabucrecords.bandcamp.com/album ... ers-s-t-lp
http://theimpalers.bandcamp.com/album/demo-2010

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:50 pm 

"(dark) Ska"... :lol:
the ()'s just add to the hilarity.

sorry, continue...

ThrashAD720
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:57 am 

Melmoth_the_Wanderer wrote:
Not 100% right as there is some good (dark) Ska for metalheads about:

Leper from Canada, part of the RABM scene, but hefty amounts of blackened ska: http://youtu.be/tMfSKr1cVkY

Dancehall Satan from Germany, more Ska same degree of blackness http://youtu.be/l_cVadN_AFE

...and the daddies of it all (mentioned above, but so what...), one of Crack Rock Steady Seven's heavy numbers: Heroin or Suicide? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoWdceZ7JzM Paaaaaaaaaiiiiiin!

Yea it doesn't have to be the typical Reel Big Fish, Less Then Jake type Ska.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 39  Next