Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:01 pm 

When was the last time Nintendo created a new IP? They've been making the same goddamn games for what, 20 years now?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:19 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
Oh and...

IGN wrote:
Confirming our suspicions, Sony Computer Entertainment President and CEO Jack Tretton has confirmed that The Last Guardian is "on hiatus."

:aww:

The problem with games like that is that in a few years time when it inevitably comes out it will more than likely disappoint because of the hype surrounding it.

On a side note I'm glad to see Sony still supporting the PS3 because it still has life in it, gonna get Last of Us Friday and then Gran Turismo 6 when it comes out, hope they imporve everything bad about GT5 for this release.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:22 pm 

The new Ass Creed trailer is kinda awesome. Check it out:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:23 pm 

I'm pretty hyped for the new Smash Bros, obviously. This E3 has been pretty sweet. Yeah, not that many exclusives, but Sony basically flipped off Microsoft a bunch of time, as they should. Fuck Microsoft. I don't really give a shit about exclusives really, Microsoft didn't show any games at the conference that made me even begin to go ''OH I HAVE TO PLAY THIS''.
Also, you know, Dark Souls II and Watch Dogs.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:36 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Dark Souls II
:thumbsup: :hyper: :headbang:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:36 pm 

That Panzer Dragoon looking game interested me. Kind of makes me sad I'll never play it now...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:21 pm 

Microsoft's showing ever since the One was announced really reminds me of when Sony had that gaffe-heavy unveiling of the PS3: five hundred ninety-nine US dollars, RIIIDGE RACER, attack the weak point for MASSIVE DAMAGE, and then there were the bizarre avant-garde commercials that pleased approximately nobody, and the lack of killer games at launch compared to the 360...

But those were all just silly things that served as low-hanging fruit to get a laugh out of, whereas Microsoft's showing this year is just...a whole lot of (as a friend aptly put it) black-hearted bullshit that's just repulsive on some fundamental level. Their disrespect for the customer by basing the whole damned console around what ways they can box us in with DRM has just lost them a potential buyer in me. PS4 just has to stay the course and they've got my money.

By the way, those of you pumped for Killer Instinct might want to have a read: http://www.gamespot.com/e3/killer-insti ... y-6409773/ Free-to-play, you have one character at the start, and all the other characters must be purchased separately.

:|

As for Nintendo, DKC:Tropical Freeze is cool and all (Edit: no pun intended), but literally the only thing they have to do to make me happy is announce a new mainline Metroid game. That might be a system-mover for me, because I'm a complete Metroid nut.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:29 pm 

DarthVenom wrote:
By the way, those of you pumped for Killer Instinct might want to have a read: http://www.gamespot.com/e3/killer-insti ... y-6409773/ Free-to-play, you have one character at the start, and all the other characters must be purchased separately.

HAHAHAHAHA :ah-ha:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:01 pm 

What's next, DLC special moves?

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:02 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
When was the last time Nintendo created a new IP? They've been making the same goddamn games for what, 20 years now?

They haven't been making Pikmin for 20 years :-P

But yeah, I don't see much interest in Nintendo games anymore. Who needs a nth sequel when the cream was released back on the SNES or N64? Who needs any DKC when you got the SNES ones? And apply that to other franchise like even Metroid. Super Metroid is untouchable and you got all 3 Primes on the Gamecube. I don't see the need for an infinite of sequels. But well, one of the reasons I won't jump on the new consoles is that I like to replay my games at least once in my lifetime :-P And I have the bad habbit of liking the Elder Scrolls games and several other long ones.

EDIT: Woah, I've seen the PS4 is region free (like the PS3 apparently), is this only for games or any kind of media? Blu-ray or dvd movies?

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:40 pm 

Metal Gear Solid 5 looks stunning... as well as incredibly dark.
http://youtu.be/lQ8TZ4fRxFw

Looks like the game is going full circle, leading right up to Metal Gear 1. I hope they pull a reverse Raiden in this game.

"This is Snake. Big Boss, can you hear me?"
"Loud and clear, Snake."
*Cue Metal Gear 1 remake*

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:54 pm 

No David Hayter = boycott all Konami games forever :tongue:

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:55 pm 

Pretty sure they're saving David Hayter for when Solid Snake returns. If the game does a time skip like I'm predicting, it'd be awkward to hear David Hayter talking to himself.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:09 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
it'd be awesome to hear David Hayter talking to himself.

Nice one though, just did a quick google and it seems I missed out on the old news that Solid Snake was confirmed to be in the game. All is well (probably).

Not sure I like the whole open world thing, however. Will just have to wait and see how that turns out.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:25 pm 

RIP Xbox

And not a single fuck was given!

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:36 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
Metal Gear Solid 5 looks stunning... as well as incredibly dark.
http://youtu.be/lQ8TZ4fRxFw

Looks like the game is going full circle, leading right up to Metal Gear 1. I hope they pull a reverse Raiden in this game.

"This is Snake. Big Boss, can you hear me?"
"Loud and clear, Snake."
*Cue Metal Gear 1 remake*

Looking pretty good, intense as well.
The whole open world trend is overrated, but I feel like if done right it could give more depth to the stealth than the usual.

I'm hyped.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:40 pm 

Solid Snake is not in MGS5 as far as I know, where'd you hear that? If he is, he'll be this super-noob recruit à la Raiden cause he'd be too young. He was already some sort of rookie in the NES Metal Gear.

According to this Wikia, Solid Snake was born in 1972. That'd make him 12 years old in MGS5 (1984). If he's shown at all and Hayter voices him, :lol:.

I'm way more concerned about MGS5 catering to this shitty "open-world" trend than having David Hayter being replaced. Truth be told, Hayter was hamming it up with each damn sequel. Sure, his voice is iconic, but his recent performances were getting a bit over-the-top, and I know Kiefer's voice would fit nicely (and he's a good voice actor in Phone Booth) so I'm not too concerned. But open-world MGS? Urgh. Fuck off nowadays gaming.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:46 pm 

I'm even more excited for The Elder Scrolls Online, because the latest trailer shows first person gameplay. That's a big plus.

I don't get why people are complaining about it being for PS4 and XBONE, it's not like the studio could just be like "Oh, we're also developing the game for two consoles that haven't even been announced yet" - they were probably bound by a NDA just to get the development kits.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:30 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Solid Snake is not in MGS5 as far as I know, where'd you hear that?

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/18361/metal-gear-solid-5-confirmed-will-feature-solid-snake

Not much to go on, but straight from the horses mouth apparently.

Quote:
If he is, he'll be this super-noob recruit à la Raiden cause he'd be too young. He was already some sort of rookie in the NES Metal Gear.

Well, if it's true, I'm vouching on adriankat's theory of a time-skip up to the date of the original Metal Gear.

Though a 12 year old Solid Snake probably would still have a gruff voice and elite stealth skills.

Last edited by Foulchrist on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:33 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
According to this Wikia, Solid Snake was born in 1972. That'd make him 12 years old in MGS5 (1984). If he's shown at all and Hayter voices him, :lol:.

Nanomachines.

It'd make perfect sense for him to already be a young adult at that age.

Unless the dramatic aging between 2-4 was Foxdie or something, pardon me for not remembering MGS specifics... LALELULILO!

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
I'm even more excited for The Elder Scrolls Online, because the latest trailer shows first person gameplay. That's a big plus.

I don't get why people are complaining about it being for PS4 and XBONE, it's not like the studio could just be like "Oh, we're also developing the game for two consoles that haven't even been announced yet" - they were probably bound by a NDA just to get the development kits.

Honestly, The Elder Scrolls Online is just a waste of time. These kind of MMOs just don't work, it's like the worst of both worlds; usually MMO players don't care about these because they never played the single player games, and most fans of the series are not interested in a online version of it. Look what happened to Star Wars Old Republic, and SW is a much, much bigger franchise than the Elder Scrolls. They had to make it free because no one was playing it. You really have to do something huge in order to compete with WoW and draw MMO players. Thing is, the selling point of ES Online as it was for Old Republic, is that they are games of their respective franchises, not killer MMOs (if such thing exist). I know WoW was not the first Warcraft game but at least most people were playing online and it was the first real MMO hit.

But personally, I see mainstream MMOs as sub-par RPGs. I'd be pretty damn surprised for ES Online to compete with Skyrim in anything at all except the size of the world map. MMOs feel like uglier, more bare-bones rpgs where you can raid with other people.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:25 pm 

Eh, at the same time, WoW gets older every year. Even with all the new stuff they keep adding, it's still the same game with mostly the same feel, mostly the same problems, etc. The number of overall subscribers just recently started decreasing, so those players must be going somewhere. Now I'm not saying ESO is going to be the next big thing, but something is going to be the next big thing, probably within the next few years. Blizzard is working on their own new MMO, but we know Blizzard, it probably won't be out for 10 years.

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:28 pm 

True enough. I guess we'll have to see. Still, I feel Bethesda are really waging something big and risky.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:33 pm 

Yeah, any MMO venture is big and risky. A ton of them have failed, while very few have succeeded. Each company keeps hoping theirs is the one that catches on, because if it does, they're basically set for life. WoW has had a fucking absurd lifespan and made Blizzard gigantic shitloads of money. I dunno, to be honest I think if anyone has a good chance, it's Bethesda. Skyrim was (and is) hugely popular even among mainstream gamers, and just saying "Skyrim MMO" is probably enough to sell a few hundred thousand copies by itself.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:42 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
DarthVenom wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA :ah-ha:

As a major Killer Instinct fan back in my SNES days as a kid (I still have my SNES box I got in 1996 with the Killer Instinct characters on the box since the game came with it), this is laughably bad. Completely negates any reason to care about getting the game, let alone getting the Xbox One now anymore.
Foulchrist wrote:
What's next, DLC special moves?

As for this, it's already been done for alternate costumes now for years. It doesn't seem far off whatsoever. Still, :lol:.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:55 pm 

Foulchrist wrote:
Though a 12 year old Solid Snake probably would still have a gruff voice and elite stealth skills.

lol, Snake was probably born with a mullet, beard, cigarette in his mouth and Hayter's voice

Xeogred wrote:
Unless the dramatic aging between 2-4 was Foxdie or something, pardon me for not remembering MGS specifics... LALELULILO!

I'm almost certain it was, but it has been some time since I played MGS4

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:32 am 

Marag wrote:
Foulchrist wrote:

lol, Snake was probably born with a mullet, beard, cigarette in his mouth and Hayter's voice

Now I'm just imagining an infant Snake growling, "Let's see how well this milk formula measures up to the real thing..."

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:12 am 

Foulchrist wrote:
http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/18361/metal-gear-solid-5-confirmed-will-feature-solid-snake

Not much to go on, but straight from the horses mouth apparently.[...]
Well, if it's true, I'm vouching on adriankat's theory of a time-skip up to the date of the original Metal Gear.

Hmm maybe, but I'm voting for the fact that this article is 1 year old and has probably outdated information. If Kiefer Sutherland voices Big Boss, and there's some time jump later in the story where Solid Snake is there, who will voice Solid Snake, then? Hayter's out, that's confirmed. He made butthurt tweets about it.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:30 am 

Hey Nintendo, free game idea: a gritty Balloon Fight reboot. You're welcome!

:oh shit:

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:32 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Solid Snake is not in MGS5 as far as I know, where'd you hear that? If he is, he'll be this super-noob recruit à la Raiden cause he'd be too young. He was already some sort of rookie in the NES Metal Gear.

I'm way more concerned about MGS5 catering to this shitty "open-world" trend than having David Hayter being replaced. Truth be told, Hayter was hamming it up with each damn sequel. Sure, his voice is iconic, but his recent performances were getting a bit over-the-top, and I know Kiefer's voice would fit nicely (and he's a good voice actor in Phone Booth) so I'm not too concerned. But open-world MGS? Urgh. Fuck off nowadays gaming.

What worried me in the trailer it fast forwarded the walking around. So I wonder if there will be lots of boring running around.

I like to think that, even though it's open world, it'd be heavily fortified and patrolled and you have to be on your toes at all times.

Open world is good when the world is crafted well to fit a mood and there's much to do so it's not a lot of running around.

Ass Creed is a lot of running around. Or fast traveling to skip areas making open world a bit pointless. Skyrim too.

Red Dead Redemption did it well cause you could run around, ride a horse, or skip around. So it offered variable speeds based on what you wanted to do.

MGSV seems to do that. Snake was sneaking, walking, running, riding a horse, and driving vehicles. My hope and guess is it's open world is to let you be strategic. Take a really long way around to a less guarded area. Lure guards from far away cause maybe the AI is a lot smarter and will stay in alert phase essentially forever and over very long distances.

MGSV can work open world if they are doing it for all the right reasons and not jumping on the bandwagon.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:40 am 

There are plenty of custom missions for Arma 2/3 that already do the same thing that MGSV is aiming to do, which consists of a massive landmass with military outposts scattered all over and patrols scouting around. Less focus on the MilSim and more refinement and you'd probably get MGSV.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:53 am 

More childish and dull looking enemies. A seal viking?! Ugh.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:11 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

They've financed or produced quite a few in the time frame you mentioned. I get the overarching complaint of over reliance on certain franchises, but to say they haven't produced any new IPs in the last few years isn't strictly true. In an ideal world they'd make new things, but they're a business after all.

I thought the showing was decent, although not very surprising. I knew a new DKC was coming, DKCR sold like 4 million copies on Wii, and is doing good numbers as a 3DS title. It's a no brainer. I'm very happy at this as I loved DKCR. Megaman in Smash was good. X looked fucking amazing, Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101 also. The new Mario looked pretty fun and I'm sure it will be as good as the previous games the development team have worked on. Wind Waker HD seems to be attempting a fix on most of issues I have with that game.

It was slightly formulaic but there's more than enough for me to be interested in their console/handheld. Would have liked more about an account system for 3DS, and what Treasure are working on (rumors of a 3DS title a while back). Must say, Sony really did excite me the most. Looks like I'm gonna do PS4/Wii U next gen. Fuck Microsoft.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:30 pm 

Quote:
They've financed or produced quite a few in the time frame you mentioned.

Mostly casual gamer fluff (Nintendogs, Wii Fit etc.), puzzle games on the DS, and that's about it. The most recent new IP for a main console was... Pikmin? Two generations ago. :nono:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:28 pm 

I might actually have to get a 3DS for the new Zelda game.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:43 pm 

So hey, there's also this: http://www.gamespot.com/users/JustPlain ... 0-26029582

It's just a user blog and an angry one at that, but it does a good job of compiling links that display Microsoft's staggering douchery these past few days. The one that really gets me is Xbox executive Phil Spencer trying to pawn off this rhetoric about how "the idea of ownership is morphing" when it's really just code for "Now you don't own the shit you paid for".

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:09 am 

Quote:
"the idea of ownership is morphing"

:lol: Wow, this asshole actually said that. With a straight face. Unfuckingbelievable.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:21 am 

All them dolla bills make a man cray-cray, you dig?

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:19 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
Oh and...

IGN wrote:
Confirming our suspicions, Sony Computer Entertainment President and CEO Jack Tretton has confirmed that The Last Guardian is "on hiatus."

:aww:

Perhaps not?

http://kotaku.com/sony-corrects-themsel ... -512720979

Quote:
"That hiatus term—I’m not a native English-speaking person—but that’s misleading," Yoshida told me a few minutes ago during an interview here at E3. He'd watched Tretton's comments on Spike.com while eating lunch. "The game is in active development. [Lead designer Fumito] Ueda-san shared updates a few months ago. Nothing has changed. My answer is, 'Yes, the game is in active development.' It’s not hiatus at all. But we are not ready to reintroduce it. When we are ready, we will do that. Please wait."

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:12 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Quote:
"the idea of ownership is morphing"

:lol: Wow, this asshole actually said that. With a straight face. Unfuckingbelievable.

I'm sure that means that piracy is gonna be de-criminalized, right? Right?

Right?

"Oh wait no, not that kind of ownership. Only your kind."
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 492, 493, 494, 495, 496, 497, 498 ... 940  Next