Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:29 pm 

Just finished the vast majority of my track for the songwriting challenge, just have to add some extra keyboards and add some additional programmed drum tracks. Turned out to be a weird crust/sludge thing with more emphasis on the crust. Used the same lyrics I recently posted in the lyrics thread. Thinking of doing a demo of this kind of stuff, making progress on the demo for my doom/thrash/hardcore band as well.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:59 pm 

I hope it's actual crust! looking forward to hearing that.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:03 pm 

Big_Grand wrote:
I've spent the past week working on this track.

https://soundcloud.com/andreperez/wall- ... h-collapse

I wanted to add vocals to this, but none of my vocal tracks fit in, quality wise because my main mic is too quiet, and my alternative headset mic was too sensitive.

this really should have the tags of grindcore removed. cause it simply is not. it's a good start but it seems lacking in mix and it's kinda of a mush. sounds more like an intro to a song than an actual song.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:52 pm 

Got a nice bass from musician's friend and picked up a compact, single input audio interface so I won't be stuck with the mic input on my laptop anymore. Then I also picked up some small usb powered speakers to use as my travel "monitor" speakers. So now I have a nice little portable recording rig that's not shitty. I also got a used ipod off ebay for dirt cheap and decided to get that IK multimedia iRig also. I'm really interested to see the quality of music I can make/record on an ipod touch. Plus that's a little "recording" rig that'll fit in my guitar case. Perfect for compact travel! I also got drunk and bought a solid pine telecaster body, haha. There's just something about telecasters... They're like the least "metal" electric guitar out there, but for some reason I like them. Especially in pine. So now I'll have to get all the hardware and shit and start building that guitar up. I like how I came out here with one guitar and I'm going back with a guitar, a bass, two spare bodies and a spare neck. I think I'm addicted to guitars.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:21 pm 

possibly. at my heigth of purchasing guitars I had like 22. then slowly culled it down to like 12 and I think I'm around 14 right now. have a few I want to fix up to use once again. and going to sell off one mainly cause a guy I know actually told me it was his first guitar and sold it the local music store and I had immediately picked it up. So hell I'll sell it back to him at what I paid for it years ago, cause it ain't like I'm even using it.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:29 pm 

I have played tons of gigs over the years and I've had a lot of memorable experiences through them. Good, bad, fun, awful, rewarding, weird... the whole gamut. But tomorrow I will embark on what will undoubtedly will be one of the most unique things I've ever done- I'm playing on a float in a pride parade.

My mind is only now catching up with the fact that I will be rolling through downtown in a colourful, flamboyant parade while playing music on a float in front of thousands of people. Plus I'm gonna be wearing a bunch of body glitter and some really tight pants. Wish me luck, this is gonna be something else.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:12 am 

CorpseFister wrote:
I have played tons of gigs over the years and I've had a lot of memorable experiences through them. Good, bad, fun, awful, rewarding, weird... the whole gamut. But tomorrow I will embark on what will undoubtedly will be one of the most unique things I've ever done- I'm playing on a float in a pride parade.

My mind is only now catching up with the fact that I will be rolling through downtown in a colourful, flamboyant parade while playing music on a float in front of thousands of people. Plus I'm gonna be wearing a bunch of body glitter and some really tight pants. Wish me luck, this is gonna be something else.

I once played a bunch of Beatles on a float in some parade, although I really don't like them it was with a few of my friends and it was a good time all around. Have fun man.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:29 am 

CorpseFister wrote:

That sounds fucking awesome, I wish I could do something like that.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:45 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQu3lFNgNyE

Ok I uploaded it to youtube. My guitar playthrough of an Oshiego song I mean. Comments welcome :) This was for my bassist to learn the song so I just played all rhythm parts(I hardly play any of the solos in this band anyway).

Second album is being mixed as we speak!

Last edited by somefella on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:49 am 

Joined another band last night with friends. Going to be midpaced alternative kind of stuff. An interesting change of pace.

Other then that just lining up a bunch of shows for Controlled by Fear. Here is the bandcamp. Might be playing with Negative Approach on August 18th.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:11 pm 

Somefella, I hate them shorts...haha other than that it sounds good. nice and tight.

Wizard... didn't you say you recorded this live? for that it sounds pretty good, I can't make out the guitar at all but looking at the picture it seems that all you have is a combo amp single 12" speaker for it? Cause I can hear the drums minus the snare, bass and vocals.

long day. wrote and recorded 2 yzordderrex songs, did the final 3 vocal tracks for KP's next album, wrote a 54R song, a Corpse Arise song, and 4 more KP songs. and then my friend came over that I haven't seen in awhile and we smashed and jammed around and basically talked over what he wants to record in the future.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:51 pm 

Damn and I was bidding on another Sunn head but I lost it cause i was out recording instead of being home to make sure I won. I'm certain I would have. only one other person bid.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:11 pm 

Busy day for me today. In the morning, I recorded drums for three tracks for a Maze of Roots release, which was pretty fun. Then played a jazz gig, and then in the car on the way back came up with a catchy as fuck chorus for an industrial metal type song, so I wrote that out when I got in.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:23 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Somefella, I hate them shorts...haha other than that it sounds good. nice and tight.

Them's my favourite pair of sleeping shorts, mister!

Just a random question, do you guys ever do shows for free?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:31 am 

Yea I've done a ton of shows for free. like hundreds of them. Most of the time they were local so I didn't care as much but I've done a few free out of town shows.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:03 am 

All shows I do are free unless someone gives me money, then I see that as a bonus.

And SLK. It is live but my amp was on the opposite side you can't even see me in the picture which also explains why you can't hear it since it was recorded on a tascam handheld recorder thing. We will be recording very soon with real studio material featuring just about all that material.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:39 pm 

nice. I'ld like to hear it with all elements represented.

here is something me and my friend who sings in 54R have been talking about doing for awhile. he finally felt comfortable enough on drums so we recorded these 2 songs today:
http://youtu.be/U2IOM6oeaBs

we'll be recording tmwr and hopefully by the end of the month have an ep out.

Dr Sloughman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:47 am 

Frank Rini gave us a nice little review (http://allabouttherock.co.uk/slough-graveyard-of-gein-ep-review/), and there's a forthcoming interview as well. Also, just finished drum arrangements for the last of the songs on our forthcoming CD.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:12 pm 

Yeah I cannot wait to record we have been churning out songs. Getting really tight too. Cannot wait to play with Water Torture tomorrow.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:44 pm 

Began writing a song more along the lines of deathcore a few days ago. A couple reasons being I can use this band to lure my vocalist out of my main band so he won't hold us back anymore, and the metal scene here is primarily that style and I could easily make songs better than the majority of local bands. That and people may check out my main band. I've played maybe seven shows since our first in 2009 and I'm sick of my other bandmates fucking around, we'll get serious about shit and practice our asses off and then play a show and then do nothing for like a month. My vocalist doesn't know the lyrics to the six songs we have and he's had like two years to do so, he can hardly ever practice because he's working all the time, he doesn't even really like the music, and he hasn't gone to the last three shows we've done. We kicked him out for a period of time (actually violin boy did) and then let him back in because he said he missed it and I really didn't want to kick him in the first place. Results so far being: still not learning lyrics (improvises vocals) and coming to one or two practices. This was awhile back, though. Jesse, basically my first best friend, the violinist, just got over being addicted to working out. He got a double hernia and has fucked his shit up many other times because of all the supplements and near non-stop lifting. This was pretty recent and we're going to start practicing again once I get over bronchitis. The last three shows we've done I played drums while doing vocals with Jesse on the violin and we're getting ready to do one more like that just because I think it's fun, then we have this guy joining on bass and a guy from a recently defunct local band may do vocals.

Enough ranting, time to pick up the guitar.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:42 pm 

damn, and I thought my band was doing shitty. Well, actually we're having our second meet in two weeks and I'm having a fucking hard time coming up with good lyrics for just one of the 13 songs I've got written in total.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:17 pm 

Well that indeed is shitty sounding.

my buddy showed up today and we wrote and recorded 2 more Dragunov songs. I have to go correct the video on youtube cause he originally told me wrong and I like an idiot took his word on the spelling instead of looking it up like I normally do.

anyway also wrote and recorded 2 more yzordderrex songs which will now round out and complete a new full length
and wrote and recorded a new Mountain of Beard song which will complete an ep for that.

just need to do vocals for them and like a ton of other shit.

Unlife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:44 am 

Got all of the lyrics finished over the weekend, and the vocals recorded at like 4AM this morning for the split with Draug. Got my favourite track from the split uploaded for a preview.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:41 am 

Sounds good! really looking forward to this.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:15 pm 

Been writing more for my grindcore project. Think first Bolt Thrower album/Repulsion, with a dose of dissonance ala Assuck or maybe even Gorguts if you wanna stretch it that far. Ive also been playing around with the idea of doing another recording project that's more death metal with traditional riffing (Arghoslent, Sacriphyx, etc), which is the type of stuff I noodle around with most times I pick up my guitar. I don't have a theme or anything written lyrically yet for that stuff, though.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:20 pm 

Nice, I'd def like to hear both projects.

oh and yo name got jacked...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG6qziV4TQo

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:56 am 

MDFL killed it last night. Water Torture and VOC dropped last minute but this other band played. Great turn out, great show, great grindcore.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:40 pm 

Getting together tonight for another recording session with the guitarist I'm working with on my black metal project. Pretty stoked, the last one went really well.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:11 pm 

did 10 vocal tracks for Bunker Buster. I think I have 2 more left.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:40 pm 

I got my Focusrite iTrack solo USB interface in the mail the other day... Holy shit, it is a million times better than my PreSonus Audiobox USB. You can't even compare them. The difference in sound quality is night and day. This focusrite is awesome. I've been laying down some bass tracks with my new bass and writing lots of bluesy stoner metal-style riffs and slowly compiling a huge mass of riffs, partial songs, and songs. I'm looking forward to going home to my studio in a month where I can record stuff at a lot higher quality - especially with this new audio interface. Ohhh, I should post a review for my new shit, for the noobs and anyone else curious about this stuff.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:29 pm 

About to press physical copies on my band's single. Hit me up if anyone wants one! :)

Finally finished mixing the album, and we're now whipping a new drummer into shape(discipline dude, discipline).

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:47 pm 

I'm hitting you up in the face.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:30 pm 

My newest tech-grind band (think newer Noisear) tracked all the instruments for our first demo on Sunday and I'm pretty excited to drop it on the world. I can already tell that one 10-15 minute set drumming for that is going to take a lot better conditioning than I currently possess. My black metal band just finished the last song for our first demo and should be recording in the next few months and hopefully gig-ready eventually as well and finally my death metal band is playing one of our last shows for a while opening for fucking EMBALMER on Tuesday.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:45 pm 

Inspector_Satan wrote:
My newest tech-grind band (think newer Noisear) tracked all the instruments for our first demo on Sunday and I'm pretty excited to drop it on the world. I can already tell that one 10-15 minute set drumming for that is going to take a lot better conditioning than I currently possess. My black metal band just finished the last song for our first demo and should be recording in the next few months and hopefully gig-ready eventually as well and finally my death metal band is playing one of our last shows for a while opening for fucking EMBALMER on Tuesday.

Just a question, why record anything before you play live?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:01 pm 

why play live before you record? there is no correct way to do things and honestly I think it's smarter to record and have something to hand out or have for sale when you actually play a show. I'm doing that with 2 of my bands right now. Cause regardless of everything I like having a document and release of material I've worked on. it doesn't matter if anyone else likes it at all.

Inspector, love to hear that grind band. build up that endurance!

Dragunov recorded 4 more songs today. we are shooting for 15-20 for an ep and then shows.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:04 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I think it's smarter to record and have something to hand out or have for sale when you actually play a show.

this

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:53 pm 

It just kind of worked out that way actually, it wasn't completely planned. In the case of the grind band it's become somewhat of a backburner project since we live a fair distance from each other and all have full time jobs and play in a number of other bands. Because of scheduling issues it got to a point where we would only get together once a month and have to backtrack for the first hour to remember the small changes we made last time. Initially we set out to make scratch recordings so that wouldn't be an issue and so our vocalist could write lyrics and get up to speed but it just so happened that by the time we got around to it our singer had just built a new studio in his warehouse so we ended up ditching the room recording idea and made something better. As for the black metal project, it's still up in the air whether we'll ever be able to get a solid lineup and get our shit together to gig so we're moving ahead as if the band's a studio project for the time being.

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
why play live before you record? there is no correct way to do things and honestly I think it's smarter to record and have something to hand out or have for sale when you actually play a show. I'm doing that with 2 of my bands right now. Cause regardless of everything I like having a document and release of material I've worked on. it doesn't matter if anyone else likes it at all.

While not the primary motivation for us I do agree with this. I'm not big on collecting stickers, patches or buttons but I'll ALWAYS shell out a couple bucks for a demo if the band is even remotely good, especially for new local bands.

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Inspector, love to hear that grind band. build up that endurance!

Hopefully not too much longer haha. It's only a couple of short tracks but we decided to build a kind of free form song in the studio by writing the drums first so we have to figure that out before we can finish it all up. The rough tracks sound awesome though, it's definitely made me pretty excited about doing this.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:02 pm 

That sounds quite interesting. I hope you don't pick a stupid name to christen it. haha.

and totally do the same thing, I'll take patches and stickers but those get shoved in a drawer or gave to someone else at some point, but if a band has a demo I'll all about picking one up. I've played tons of bands all over and there are bands while they weren't all that great I picked up a demo for and it turns out even better than them live due to whatever reason. and vice versa to a degree, I've played with some really good grind and chaotic metalcore bands that were just amazing and sounded amazing, but didn't have anything recorded and lo and behold ended up breaking up before doing so. So it's practically like they didn't even exist in the first place since there was nothing to document that place in time.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:00 pm 

I'm already talking with a guy about starting up a side-project. We plan on playing something similar to Chaotic Beauty/A Virgin and A Whore era Eternal Tears of Sorrow, which is also one of the many things I had wanted to start up. I have to say that I'm quite stoked, I think this'll turn out pretty sick. If for some reason Goat Martyr dies in the water *eyes ShaolinLambKiller* then I've got something else to maybe do.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:22 pm 

Getting some stuff done with friends since my job this summer doesn't have formal hours. Death metal somewhat similar to what I have recorded earlier (see sig) but a little more creative and complex since I'm working with a guitarist who's better than me. Better recording/mix too, if the 700 page book I read on audio engineering last month has any effect.

My chinese stratocaster died again and I figure it's high time that I purchase a real guitar. Open to suggestions but I play left-handed so it's harder to find things on ebay a lot of the time.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 185  Next