Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:23 am 

ApparatusUnearth wrote:
I could use some help finding something similar to Amorphis' Tales from the Thousand Lakes. Not too overbearing on the keyboards, but keyboards are welcome for sure.

This and this. ;)

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:36 am 

YES TONY!!!

I've been waiting for a new Mammoth Grinder since about 3 seconds after Extinction of Humanity ended the first time I listened to it. I just hope the new album is a bit longer as the last one was quite short. That band fucking rules. The stuff they've released since the full length is also really cool (the "Welcome to Hell" cover was awesome, and the Hatred Surge split started to reveal some slower, Autopsy/Celtic Frost-ish influences) so I'm totally stoked to see how the new material will sound.

Unfortunately I can't think of any band off the top of my head that plays in a similar style but more blackened. That might be pretty rad, though!

L'Ilwhyan, have you heard any newer Cianide stuff? Gods of Death was pretty good I thought and has this giant guitar tone that kind of reminds me of the tone on Monotheist except used to play bludgeoning caveman death metal riffs.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:06 pm 

YES. Extinction of Humanity is amazing and still gets regular plays from me. As long as there's another crusher like Frozen on the new one it should be a winner.

iamntbatman wrote:
Unfortunately I can't think of any band off the top of my head that plays in a similar style but more blackened. That might be pretty rad, though!

Maybe Dishammer?

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:39 pm 

I am looking for melodic death metal bands that does both clean (preferable power metal style vocals) and harsh vocals in the same song kinda like into eternity and wintersun.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:16 pm 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
I am looking for melodic death metal bands that does both clean (preferable power metal style vocals) and harsh vocals in the same song kinda like into eternity and wintersun.

Well, there's the Geneticsis album by Under Moonlight Sadness, but that not on Youtube apparently. I will upload it, get back to you.

How about Eternal Tears of Sorrow? They are not that much death metal, but there's both cleans and growls.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uultMsifhRw

Ooh ooh almost forgot; Satariel! Death metal with Messiah Marcolin on vocals, doesn't get better than that, does it?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCp-v1Rj5ec

I'll take the opportunity to spam Desultor here as well; proper death metal with clean vocals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st0WoXijb8s

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:22 pm 

Opus wrote:
maidenpriestmanic wrote:

You will definitely like Julie Laughs No More.

They sound to me like a combo of some kind of Swedism Melodic death and Blind Guardian and the clean vocals sound a lot like Blind Guardian's singer.

They have two albums and just reformed so hopefully they'll put another out soon.

You might like Scar Symmetry also, though they have a bit of a newer "poppier" sound and their clean vocals are not really power metal-ish.

I'm sure there are tons of others I can't think of at the moment.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:27 pm 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:

You might like Grailknights, they have power metally cleans.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J23asuVdAJI
Or Crimson Shadows, but the cleans are not very power metal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSTz_OmTY28

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:28 pm 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
They sound to me like a combo of some kind of Swedism Melodic death and Blind Guardian and the clean vocals sound a lot like Blind Guardian's singer.

Oooh good one! Although I'd say he sounds like a mix of Mike Howe and Blackie Lawless. A shame he stopped singing!
And I know Ronnie. :p

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:47 pm 

Opus wrote:
Well, there's the Geneticsis album by Under Moonlight Sadness, but that not on Youtube apparently. I will upload it, get back to you.

Don't tell me you have it on CD???

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:51 pm 

This is was what I was looking for. Kinda got excited when you said a combo between SMD and Blind Guardian due to them being my favorite band, but yeah this is some good stuff.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:17 pm 

Opus wrote:
Ill-Starred Son wrote:

Oooh good one! Although I'd say he sounds like a mix of Mike Howe and Blackie Lawless. A shame he stopped singing!
And I know Ronnie. :p

I didn't know their singer left the band.

Do you know if they are coming out with a new album anytime?

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:24 pm 

androdion wrote:
Opus wrote:

Don't tell me you have it on CD???

I do.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:33 pm 

That's actually impressive, as that CD is virtually impossible to find anywhere in this world.

Maulgraun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:56 am 

Can anyone recommend me some slow paced doom/death like Goatlord?

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:54 am 

androdion wrote:
sourlows wrote:
I'm sure this is a common request but:
Looking for more (probably newer or very obscure older stuff) that is similar to Disma/Funebrarum, Cruciamentum and Dead Congregation. OSDM that is more on the Incantation/doomish/atmospheric side of things.

The easier one. Try Desecresy, Krypts, Undergang, Rottrevore, Rippikoulu, Drawn And Quartered, Purtenance.

Thanks for the reply. Undergang is awesome; that guitar tone is so perfect. Also enjoyed Desecresy and Krypts and was familiar with the rest. Still open to more recommendations.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:42 am 

Maulgraun wrote:
Can anyone recommend me some slow paced doom/death like Goatlord?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=92624

sourlows wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Undergang is awesome; that guitar tone is so perfect. Also enjoyed Desecresy and Krypts and was familiar with the rest. Still open to more recommendations.

If you liked Desecresy try Slugathor as well. And how about Ataraxy, Abhorrence or Convulse?! Unless you're already well versed on Finndeath. ;)

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:45 am 

sourlows, have you heard Desolate Shrine?

ZEROMETAL
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:11 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
Does anyone know of any bands that mix melodic black metal and brutal death metal? I don't mean like Sacramentum or old-school Dissection or anything of the like, but I mean brutal death metal that crosses over into the meloblack side in their music as well. Maybe like early 2000s Belphegor with more melodic black metal.

Now, I'm reaaaally not sure what exactly you're describing here, but this is what I dug out from my collection:

Yay or nay? :scratch:

Pardon me. :oh shit:

Far East metal? Oh yes. Click.

Exigence

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:32 pm 

I've been falling asleep every night to the Sulphur Aeon album. I'm not joking. The past 4 nights I just push play on my iPhone for that album and I've fallen asleep every time about 4 tracks in. I'm not sure how that works but the overall sound of that album just knocks me out after a long day. Not a bad thing!

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:12 am 

ZEROMETAL wrote:
MalignantTyrant wrote:
Does anyone know of any bands that mix melodic black metal and brutal death metal? I don't mean like Sacramentum or old-school Dissection or anything of the like, but I mean brutal death metal that crosses over into the meloblack side in their music as well. Maybe like early 2000s Belphegor with more melodic black metal.

Now, I'm reaaaally not sure what exactly you're describing here, but this is what I dug out from my collection:

Yay or nay? :scratch:

Pardon me. :oh shit:

this isn't exactly what I'm looking for but fuck it, this is actually really good, man. I appreciate it!!

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:56 am 

androdion wrote:
sourlows wrote:

If you liked Desecresy try Slugathor as well. And how about Ataraxy, Abhorrence or Convulse?! Unless you're already well versed on Finndeath. ;)

Familiar with Slugathor (but didn't realize the connection with Desecresy), Abhorrence and Convulse. I remember buying World Without God off a guy I worked for who just happened to be into metal and invited me over after he recognized my disembowelment shirt at work when I was like 18. However, I was able to give Ataraxy's full length a couple listens and that is an awesome record; full of character and brilliantly executed. Like I said I've heard most of the older stuff, it's the newer material I'm really out of touch with (though less so now).
iamntbatman wrote:
sourlows, have you heard Desolate Shrine?

Giving the Sanctum of Human Darkness a couple listens right now; perhaps not exactly what I was searching for BUT a very interesting and worthwhile record nonetheless. I have a feeling I will have to listen to it quite a few more times before I can act like I've picked up on everything it's trying to do.

Thank you both for the suggestions.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:16 am 

sourlows: Give Maveth a listen. They're not quite there with Desolate Shrine, in that their sound approximates your request more, but they're a somewhat similar band.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:27 am 

A Finndeath fan with a D. shirt?! I love you already! :D

There hasn't been much news in the Finnish DM front, apart from a few bands reforming (Convulse and Purtenance for instance) and a few other acts that have been dragged into the "new OSDM" wave. You could also give Lantern and Coffincraft a spin, they're two new bands that have some quality, although they're not quite there yet in my eyes.

Ataraxy is pretty awesome, I praised that album to high heavens during last year. Also check out their EP, it's pretty good.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:33 pm 

That Ataraxy album should be right up my alley, but the vocals don't do it for me...

sourlows, for more new/underground doomy death, check out Drowned ("Viscera Terræ" EP), Burial Invocation, Anatomia, Denial, Father Befouled (almost straight up Incantation worship), Funebrarum (I personally like their first album the most, but many people have the hots for their second one, which has a bit more tempo changes), Miasma ("Changes" album, very doomy and somehow weird), Yoght-Sothoth for a kinda "modern" take on the OSDM sound, The Wakedead Gathering is a pretty cool one man project, and finally check out Origin of Darkness, which is a death metal project by the guy behind one of the most crushing funeral doom bands, Catacombs.

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:05 am 

Thanks for all the suggestions and replies. Will take a while to listen to all of this though so I won't be able to keep up with the feedback.

andersbang I agree with you on the first Funebrarum album. For me the biggest difference between The Sleep of Morbid Dreams and Beneath the Columns... is the production. TSoMD is very well produced and heavy, but to me it's almost too intrusive. The guitars sound right up in your face, and for most bands this is probably a good thing, but then you go back and listen to BtCoAG which has this amazingly cavernous production job; it sounds completely different, like you are listening to death metal from deep beneath the earth or some shit. You can really hear when they are pounding on their instruments and when they are holding back on BtCoAG so to me the songs have a wider dynamic range than they do on TSoMD.

ZEROMETAL
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:05 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
this isn't exactly what I'm looking for but fuck it, this is actually really good, man. I appreciate it!!

No problem! My rather warped interpretation of what you wanted ha!

Far East metal? Oh yes. Click.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:18 am 

sourlows wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions and replies. Will take a while to listen to all of this though so I won't be able to keep up with the feedback.

andersbang I agree with you on the first Funebrarum album. For me the biggest difference between The Sleep of Morbid Dreams and Beneath the Columns... is the production. TSoMD is very well produced and heavy, but to me it's almost too intrusive. The guitars sound right up in your face, and for most bands this is probably a good thing, but then you go back and listen to BtCoAG which has this amazingly cavernous production job; it sounds completely different, like you are listening to death metal from deep beneath the earth or some shit. You can really hear when they are pounding on their instruments and when they are holding back on BtCoAG so to me the songs have a wider dynamic range than they do on TSoMD.

Yeah, "Beneath the Columns..." is truly fucking heavy, very cavernous as you say. If you like that style of production job/sound, check out Owl - "Owl" album from a few years back.

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:42 am 

Im looking for some melodic death bands that uses keyboard, deep death growls and harsh vocals. Something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJmFuZkS98E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03LetbtkvK8

FantomLord17 wrote:
...while In Flames lyrics make me think of a teenager's facebook post.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:06 am 

sourlows wrote:
I'm sure this is a common request but:
Looking for more (probably newer or very obscure older stuff) that is similar to Disma/Funebrarum, Cruciamentum and Dead Congregation. OSDM that is more on the Incantation/doomish/atmospheric side of things.

Late to the party on this one, but I'll crawl out of my crypt to name a couple, and will second the HELL outta Drowned, you really need to hear them.

Have you given Sri Lanka's (!) Genocide Shrines (the end of this track is a little... weird though) a listen? Heavy, heavy dark stuff with a full on death/doom annihilation atmosphere with some more... barbaric, bestial elements into the mix. Pretty fuckin' good stuff by my standards. The whole ep is a monster.

I'm going to assume you are familiar with Grave Miasma?

Maybe Deteriorot would be worth a listen? Pretty doomy, crushing death in places.

Divine Eve again from the States are total death/doom, but perhaps a little too much Celtic Frost influence in regards to your OP? Still a damn fine ep though in this style.

Are you familiar with Encoffination? Brooding, crawling, filthy Incantation influenced rotting death/doom. No joy here.

From waaaay back in the early nineties, I give you Cruciform from Australia. Good luck with finding the album though, but this band has some really good shit here.

My collection

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:20 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Maybe Deteriorot would be worth a listen? Pretty doomy, crushing death in places.

I'll see your Deteriorot and raise you a Denial! :D

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:37 pm 

omnishadow wrote:
Im looking for some melodic death bands that uses keyboard, deep death growls and harsh vocals. Something like this:

may be a bit too black for your request, though

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:13 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
omnishadow wrote:

may be a bit too black for your request, though

Amazing! Exactly what I was looking for, minus the vocals. They're great, with mindblowing melodies and solos, whithout loosing the heaviness; but they could use more death growls. That would be perfect. Any other recomendations???

FantomLord17 wrote:

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:24 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9fOSI5zn1U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMeEzBR1YiE
best I can do

BastardHead wrote:

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:26 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9fOSI5zn1U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMeEzBR1YiE
best I can do

Already knew about Hollenthon, but Garden of Shadows is... damn I cant say how much I liked it. Thank you so much.

FantomLord17 wrote:

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:30 am 

I've been out of touch with DM for awhile... I know most of the newer tech/brutal bands or whatever, but what I'm looking for is something in the vein of early Centinex, specifically Reflections, Reborn Through Flames and Bloodhunt In other words somewhat melodic death metal with more of a black metal tremolo picking style.
couple examples
Spoiler: show

Spoiler: show

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:31 am 

omnishadow wrote:

Brace yourself, this is probably one of my favorite niches in the melodic death metal subgenre.

Be'lakor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBdRra2tYp8
Estuary of Calamity - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFSjK1B4VsU
Insomnium - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K003TNG40P8
Vehemence - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NNCoif_6FQ

Most of these bands live in difference countries and on different continents, which I find very interesting!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:24 am 

Inspector_Satan wrote:
YES. Extinction of Humanity is amazing and still gets regular plays from me. As long as there's another crusher like Frozen on the new one it should be a winner.

iamntbatman wrote:

Maybe Dishammer?

Oh, hmm, I missed this post. I don't think Dishammer are very close - they basically sound exactly like their name implies (Discharge + Hellhammer). Mammoth Grinder have a much more overt swedeath influence, plus American hardcore.

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:49 am 

XcKyle93 wrote:
omnishadow wrote:

Brace yourself, this is probably one of my favorite niches in the melodic death metal subgenre.

Be'lakor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBdRra2tYp8
Estuary of Calamity - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFSjK1B4VsU
Insomnium - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K003TNG40P8
Vehemence - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NNCoif_6FQ

Most of these bands live in difference countries and on different continents, which I find very interesting!

How did I miss Vehemence? I'm a melodic death freak and never heard of them. Estuary of Calamity is also great. Awesome keyboard solos. More keyboards pls :)

FantomLord17 wrote:

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:18 pm 

There such a thing as Thrashy Brutal Death?

Like if Vader and Disgorge/Severe Torture were to make a supergroup together or something related to the idea.

Nargodath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:35 pm 

I'm sure this is a very common request, but I know next to nothing about DM. Can anyone recommend stuff similar to the first two Amorphis albums or the more straighforward parts of early Finntroll? Melodic DM with really good melodies, tight riffs, and harsh vocals?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193 ... 290  Next