Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Garyuu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:44 pm 

Quote:
Ohio metallers SKELETONWITCH will enter GodCity Studios in Salem, Massachusetts in April with producer Kurt Ballou (CONVERGE, KVELERTAK, BLACK BREATH) to begin recording their fifth album for a late 2013 release via Prosthetic Records.

Commented the band: "First off, thanks to everyone who supported SKELETONWITCH during this past year. We did some serious gigging in 2012, and your support on the road and of 'Forever Abomination' was overwhelming. We would be nowhere without you.

"It's not just idle hands that do the devil's work — we're already deep in the process of writing a new record, which is shaping up to be quite an epic slab of metal, if we may say so ourselves."

SKELETONWITCH recently completed the "U.S. Abomination" headlining tour with support from MUTILATION RITES and HAVOK.

The follow-up to 2009's "Breathing The Fire", "Forever Abomination" was recorded at a Los Angeles studio with producer Matt Hyde (SLAYER, MACHINE HEAD, KREATOR). The effort included the track "The Infernal Resurrection", the demo version of which appears as the B-side on the final seven-inch of a limited-edition vinyl trilogy. This marked SKELETONWITCH's first recording with the group's new drummer, former DEMIRICOUS skin-pounder Dustin Boltjes.

The vinyl reissues of the SKELETONWITCH's breakthrough releases "Breathing The Fire" and "Beyond The Permafrost" are now available from the Prosthetic store. Both are available in three variants — splatter, half-and-half and 180-gram black wax — and feature gatefold Stoughton "tip-on" record jackets. The black vinyl versions of both albums were made available in select retail stores in April 2012.

http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode= ... mID=184859

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:03 pm 

I absolutely loved Beyond the Permafrost, although I'm not the biggest fan of thrash. Never checked out Forever Abomination but I may have an incentive to do so just to see how their upcoming album fairs with FA. Very excited.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:05 pm 

Awesome. Forever Abomination was a great album, and I'd be eager to hear how they follow it. Consider me excited.

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:20 pm 

Skeletonwitch are a very consistent and hard-working bunch of dudes. I'm willing to wager that the new album will be at least above average. Can't wait to hear it, and see them live in support of it. They deserve all the success they get.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:23 pm 

The last album had a much more profound black metal influence than Breathing the Fire, which was their most "normal" album to date. For that reason I loved it and hope they'll keep with their tradition of never making the same album twice.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:56 pm 

Curious to see what the direction for this one will be like. Permafrost just might be my favorite though they have yet to make a mediocre album and they kick ass live.

VincentVanGone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:07 am 

"... with producer Kurt Ballou..."

Well, hot damn! This album is going to be heavy as hell! You can always count on the 'Witch!

hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:01 am 

I remember back when Beyond the Permafrost came out. I was eating a lot of Asian wok-style foods, so now whenever Skeletonwitch is mentioned I get the pleasant taste of noodles in my mouth.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:19 am 

I'm looking forward to this, and have a lot of confidence in Skeletonwitch to deliver. Hopefully it will be the fourth album in what I consider to be a near-flawless run.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:14 pm 

hippiedrow wrote:
I remember back when Beyond the Permafrost came out. I was eating a lot of Asian wok-style foods, so now whenever Skeletonwitch is mentioned I get the pleasant taste of noodles in my mouth.

I'd just like to make it known that this is the greatest post of 2013 so far.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Crypt Infektor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:42 pm 

I can't, for the life of me, get into this stuff. I got a song from some sampler...didn't dig it. Heard "Reduced to the Failure of Prayer" a million times on Liquid Metal...not a damn thing. Are their earlier releases something I should look into? Or are those albums in the same template as their recent album?

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:52 pm 

Quote:
I can't, for the life of me, get into this stuff. I got a song from some sampler...didn't dig it. Heard "Reduced to the Failure of Prayer" a million times on Liquid Metal...not a damn thing. Are their earlier releases something I should look into? Or are those albums in the same template as their recent album?

If my experience can be generalised from at all on the matter, Skeletonwitch are one of those bands which you listen to on and off for a long time, quite tentatively, then one day you just wake up and go "Right, I'm going to listen to Skeletonwitch today", and from there on you're sorted.

In terms of style the three albums which are in print are consistent, but manage to be fresh each time - I don't know if there is any one album which would appeal to you if the others don't though.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:29 pm 

I remember Forever Abomination not having very many guitar solos. Its an excellent album of course, but a few solos would have made it even better. Hope they have them on the new album.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:06 pm 

Looking forward to it. Nocturnal Breed will release something this year too it seems.

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:37 pm 

I agree with most of the people here in that Beyond the Permafrost is their best album, but they still have yet to make a bad one. This one sure won't disappoint, especially with Kurt Ballou handling the production.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:47 pm 

Will be looking forward to this. Great band with an interesting sound.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:41 pm 

A band that I'll definitely take more of the "same" from, in spite of no two albums really being carbon copies of each other. They've had a different producer and engineering team for each album thus far, which I'm sure has a lot to do with that. It's an approach I'd like to see happen more often by bands that have a set style that they're comfortable and content with but need those outside eyes and ears and therefore don't self-produce. Even to this point they've worked with some esteemed names: Scott Hull, Jack Endino, Matt Hyde, Corey Smoot, etc. so Kurt Ballou is an excellent choice and yet, not a surprising one. Hopefully they do stick with Andrei Bouzikov providing the artwork. His stuff's been some of the most refreshing I've seen in a long time.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:47 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
Hopefully they do stick with Andrei Bouzikov providing the artwork. His stuff's been some of the most refreshing I've seen in a long time.

i think the breathing the fire cover art is pretty bad... abomination's cover is fantastic tho'

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:05 pm 

I know this isn't adding much to the thread, but the album's title is Serpents Unleashed. And they're doing a few live dates with Ghost, if that's worth anything.
http://www.metalinjection.net/tour-dates/skeletonwitch-announce-north-american-tour-schedule-dates-with-ghost

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:39 pm 

Dave_o_rama wrote:
I know this isn't adding much to the thread, but the album's title is Serpents Unleashed. And they're doing a few live dates with Ghost, if that's worth anything.
http://www.metalinjection.net/tour-dates/skeletonwitch-announce-north-american-tour-schedule-dates-with-ghost

Got excited for the Indianapolis date since they are one of those rare national bands that actually come around here regularly, but then got sad when I saw that Ghost wouldn't be joining them here. Eh, may still go if the bill is decent. Last year's show with The Gates Of Slumber and Chrome Waves was fucking stellar.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:46 pm 

Great another tour that doesn't have California, I need to move........

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:46 am 

You're gonna leave California because it doesn't get enough national tours? What parallel dimension do you live in?

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:01 am 

BastardHead wrote:
You're gonna leave California because it doesn't get enough national tours? What parallel dimension do you live in?

I guess its more of were I live in California, however, most of the bands I want to see live mostly tour in Europe.

Psytopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:02 pm 

I'll have to see about going to the Buffalo date. Ghost is alright and they were confirmed first, but now that Skeletonwitch will be with them, that ups the priority level of this show a bit

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:08 am 

Been on a Blackened Thrash kick lately which included these guys in heavy rotation so there's a lot of their songs rattling around me now. Good stuff, can't wait for more.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

ApparatusUnearth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:01 pm 

Forever Abomination was pretty killer, I thought.

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:02 am 

As long as you can distance yourself from the fact that they still haven't topped an album almost a decade old now, there isn't a bad album among their discography.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:13 am 

I remember early last year, I picked up Forever Abomination on a "meh, it's cheap" whim. Holy shit, riffs for days. Looking forward to the new one.

Reply to topic