Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:47 am 

Misfit74 wrote:
Glad you dug the Omnihility stuff. That is their debut album and they are semi-local to where I live. They hooked me live as an opener a couple times when I went to see other bands and I eagerly anticipated this debut. Though the drum production is lacking, IMO, it still crushes. Even better, they have a full album of material already together for their 2nd album. This band has a high ceiling and it's always cool to follow a potentially great band from their early days.

Awesome. :) I've been spinning this album lately, and I agree with the drums (actually thought it was a drum machine at first), they're lacking in the production, but still very churning and powerful. I think that's what drew me initially, but the production just needs that extra push, if you know what I mean. Same as the way The Vile Conception kicked up the ante for the production and just sounds massive. Either way, I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more Omnihility! I imagine they translate their sound well live? I'd like to see this band hit up an Austin TX gig some time.

SadisticGratification wrote:
luxul wrote:
Is there any band out that comes close to the speed and brutality of Hour of Penance? I seem to find myself in a rut of always listening to this band. Especially their last 3 releases. I know Vengeful (CAN) somehow come close. In any case, I need more bands like Hour of Penance. Any recommendations would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

*EDIT - In essence, I am looking for fierce death metal in the Hour Of Penance vein. Punishing and crushing songwriting and riffs that know how to utilize a blast beat. This song alone should speak volumes of what I seek.

I think Misery Index would be a good shout for this, not exactly like Hour of Penance but they are fierce sounding and really utilise blasting a lot but they're definitely a lot more grind influenced give it a listen.

Superb band (and song!) and thanks for the rec, but I am more than familiar with the mighty Misery Index and their stellar work. Definitely on par with what I'm looking for though. :metal:

dmforever1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:28 pm 

my personal favorite death metal bands that I would suggest if you haven't heard of them are in no order Dawn of Demise, Fractured Insanity, Synthetic Torture, Visceral Throne, and Visceral disgorge

Mr_Lender
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:19 am 

luxul wrote:
Is there any band out that comes close to the speed and brutality of Hour of Penance? I seem to find myself in a rut of always listening to this band. Especially their last 3 releases. I know Vengeful (CAN) somehow come close. In any case, I need more bands like Hour of Penance. Any recommendations would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

*EDIT - In essence, I am looking for fierce death metal in the Hour Of Penance vein. Punishing and crushing songwriting and riffs that know how to utilize a blast beat. This song alone should speak volumes of what I seek.

I've been looking for exactly the same sort of stuff, but for me at least it can be pretty hard to come by (I will definitely be checking out those bands that were recommended that I'm not already fanatical about!). There's an itch that Hour of Penance scratches, so I can only give you some suggestions for bands that scratch that same itch for me, although they fall a little more on the tech death side of things. Try:

Hope that helps!

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:05 am 

Does anyone know of any bands that mix melodic black metal and brutal death metal? I don't mean like Sacramentum or old-school Dissection or anything of the like, but I mean brutal death metal that crosses over into the meloblack side in their music as well. Maybe like early 2000s Belphegor with more melodic black metal

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:46 pm 

Mr_Lender wrote:
Hideous Divinity - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcsntAinwYM - Only found these guys a few days ago. There are some ex-Hour of Penance members in there, and there are a lot of similarities. I find there's less structure to it though, which is something I crave. Definitely worth checking out though

I was going to recommend this exact band. Worth checking out if you're into Hour of Penance.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Aikanaro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:59 pm 

Any bands like Vital Remains? Death Metal with "Brutality", Technicality, and the occasional Melodies in the the guitar work, and some epic solos. Layered demonic/evil sounding vocals that are somewhat understandable, no piggy squeals or broken toilet sounding gutturals.

HeirOfNothing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:22 am 

Aikanaro wrote:
Any bands like Vital Remains? Death Metal with "Brutality", Technicality, and the occasional Melodies in the the guitar work, and some epic solos. Layered demonic/evil sounding vocals that are somewhat understandable, no piggy squeals or broken toilet sounding gutturals.

Diabolic comes to mind, although they're slightly more on the death/black side of things.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:12 pm 

Aikanaro wrote:

Anata, Calm Hatchery, Trauma, and of course Suffocation. Anata and Suffocation are two of the best at this. I threw the other two in just to add some less-heralded options.

Exigence

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:49 pm 

Can anything match the grandeur of Ex Deo? My taste in death metal now squarely falls between their crushing symphonic marches and Hail of Bullets equally cinematic 'atmosphere' and battlefield diary storytelling. Everything else just pales in comparison.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:07 pm 

Exigence wrote:
Can anything match the grandeur of Ex Deo? My taste in death metal now squarely falls between their crushing symphonic marches and Hail of Bullets equally cinematic 'atmosphere' and battlefield diary storytelling. Everything else just pales in comparison.

Maybe certain songs from modern day Behemoth would work? I'd check out some stuff from The Apostasy and/or Demigod.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:12 pm 

Or the best Morbid Angel album, Gateways to Annihilation.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:59 am 

iamntbatman wrote:

:getout:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:10 am 

At least he's not Zodijackyl, eh?

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:38 am 

Gateways wrecks everything! A, B and C are good and all but I definitely like stuff those albums influenced (Immolation!) more than those albums themselves. Gateways though...what a monster of an album. I love the combination fast/slow riffing approach and Steve Tucker just blows David Vincent out of the water for me.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:49 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:

:getout:

x2. ALTARS OF FUCKING MADNESS
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

HeirOfNothing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:09 pm 

How about something earthy, stately, possibly sorrowful? Not an easy request to work with perhaps, but if there's anything that gives you this vibe, tell me. I'm open to all styles.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:13 pm 

HeirOfNothing wrote:
How about something earthy, stately, possibly sorrowful? Not an easy request to work with perhaps, but if there's anything that gives you this vibe, tell me. I'm open to all styles.

Depresy perhaps? Sighting is very atmospheric, with a big ass Transilvanian vibe while sounding very organic and almost solemn. Maybe, I don't know...

HeirOfNothing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:37 pm 

androdion wrote:
HeirOfNothing wrote:

Depresy perhaps? Sighting is very atmospheric, with a big ass Transilvanian vibe while sounding very organic and almost solemn. Maybe, I don't know...

That was excellent, although at the far end of my comfort zone in terms of overt melodicism.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:04 pm 

It is melodic but not in a Gothenburg fashion, more like The Fourth Dimension era Hypocrisy. Keep listening, it's pretty cool! ;)

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:39 pm 

Does anyone know of any bands that mix melodic black metal and brutal death metal? I don't mean like Sacramentum or old-school Dissection or anything of the like, but I mean brutal death metal that crosses over into the meloblack side in their music as well. Maybe like early 2000s Belphegor with more melodic black metal

BastardHead wrote:

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:17 am 

HeirOfNothing wrote:

How much stuff do you know already? I'm not entirely sure what you mean by stately (a more elegant synonym for epic?), but I first thought of Edge of Sanity (Unorthodox especially) and earlier The Chasm. Later The Chasm gets less earthly.

HeirOfNothing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:28 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
HeirOfNothing wrote:

How much stuff do you know already? I'm not entirely sure what you mean by stately (a more elegant synonym for epic?), but I first thought of Edge of Sanity (Unorthodox especially) and earlier The Chasm. Later The Chasm gets less earthly.

Dang, I've been spinning Farseeing... a lot lately, no idea why I didn't think of their earlier work. Edge of Sanity is another band that's never managed to creep out of the far corner of my head. Definitely fits my request though, aside from the more punky sections (but hey, they're Swedes, there's no getting around the d-beats).
I guess what I mean by stately is some sort of solemnity, but with a more commanding presence - I really don't know how to phrase this without sounding completely pretentious. It's definitely not confined to one specific sound, it's present in bands ranging from Adramelech and Timeghoul to US Disgorge and even some Portal songs (Abysmill, Werships). A lot of doom metal does this too, of course, but that's not what I'm looking for.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:05 pm 

Adramelech was definitely something that crossed my mind. Anata? They're pretty techy, but a plenty of song should meet your criteria. Australian band Psychrist might do the job, but they're rather diverse. Also try the Canadian Augury, and perhaps Desultory.

Or maybe Immolation!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:26 pm 

HeirOfNothing wrote:
I guess what I mean by stately is some sort of solemnity, but with a more commanding presence

This sentence reminded me of two words; "Bolt" and "Thrower"! :p

FOR VICTORY!!! :bow:

HeirOfNothing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:45 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Adramelech was definitely something that crossed my mind. Anata? They're pretty techy, but a plenty of song should meet your criteria. Australian band Psychrist might do the job, but they're rather diverse. Also try the Canadian Augury, and perhaps Desultory.

Or maybe Immolation!

You'd think Immolation does exactly what I'm looking for, right? So did I, but alas. They're too metallic and quirky somehow.
Anata will need some closer investigation. It's definitely there, but they seem to use it to create tension against the melodic themes as opposed to writing songs around it. It is interesting stuff though, thanks for the rec.

I can't stand Augury. :oh shit:

androdion wrote:
This sentence reminded me of two words; "Bolt" and "Thrower"!

FOR VICTORY!!!

God damn it androdion, you nailed it. It was right there all the time.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:05 pm 

Ha ha, I thought that one was way too evident to be mentioned. The IVth Crusade is also there for you. Those two albums are the ones that best evoke the imagery you're after, at least to me they are. ;)

HeirOfNothing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:15 pm 

androdion wrote:
Ha ha, I thought that one was way too evident to be mentioned. The IVth Crusade is also there for you. Those two albums are the ones that best evoke the imagery you're after, at least to me they are. ;)

Oh, Bolt Thrower are by no means unfamiliar to me. However... I've always found The IVth Crusade kinda forced and boring. Feel free to accuse me of anything (giving up on a band after listening to one album, for example). I later tried Realm of Chaos and decided BT wasn't really my kind of band. And of course I missed out on the albums where they did make it work.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:04 am 

HeirOfNothing wrote:
androdion wrote:

Oh, Bolt Thrower are by no means unfamiliar to me. However... I've always found The IVth Crusade kinda forced and boring. Feel free to accuse me of anything (giving up on a band after listening to one album, for example). I later tried Realm of Chaos and decided BT wasn't really my kind of band. And of course I missed out on the albums where they did make it work.

I won't accuse you of anything, there are even people out there that actively dislike BT! Go figure. :lol:

The IVth Crusade is a transitional album into the kind of sound then present in For Victory, which has a more melodic presence and a bigger emphasis on atmosphere over speed. You should also take a look at Those Once Loyal. ;)

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:12 pm 

Does anyone know of any bands that mix melodic black metal and brutal death metal? I don't mean like Sacramentum or old-school Dissection or anything of the like, but I mean brutal death metal that crosses over into the meloblack side in their music as well. Maybe like early 2000s Belphegor with more melodic black metal.

BastardHead wrote:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:10 pm 

Dude, that's like the third time you repost the same request... :(

Is there even such a thing out there? I mean, brutal and melodic, black and death? If there is then I've certainly never heard about it.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:22 pm 

Alright, chill...I was just checking
No harm meant

BastardHead wrote:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:26 pm 

Na, you read my wrong. I'm chill. ;)

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:47 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
Alright, chill...I was just checking
No harm meant

Yeah, you're asking for something that don't quite exist, don't force it...just let it go!

Guys, I'm enjoying Mammoth Grinder these days and I can't wait for the new album, look at dat!
Is there something similar but with perhaps some black metal elements?

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Exigence

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:08 pm 

Ok so going along with Ex Deo, I checked out Septicflesh's "The Great Mass" and its definitely along the lines of what I'm looking for with symphonic death metal. Especially the track "Pyramid God". I just wish it was a little catchier.

Any other suggestions for good, catchy, symphonic death metal? Active bands of course....with that big, crushing orchestral sound.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:00 pm 

Metantoine: That's an amazing album cover.

I'm looking for something like the last couple of van Drunen fronted albums like Deathhammer and Bow Down Before the Blood Court. The vocals need not be similar, and I'd prefer them not to be, even. What I'm looking for is the massive guitar tone, simple but effective riffing where the power chords hit like slabs of lead. Doomy numbers like ...And Thus the Billions Shall Burn and We Doom You to Death are a bonus, but not mandatory.

Nirvana 2002 scratches that itch to some degree, but I'd like some new albums that benefit from more advanced production methods of the modern times, not that there's anything wrong with Nirvana 2002 production as such.

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:43 pm 

I'm sure this is a common request but:
Looking for more (probably newer or very obscure older stuff) that is similar to Disma/Funebrarum, Cruciamentum and Dead Congregation. OSDM that is more on the Incantation/doomish/atmospheric side of things.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:59 pm 

Really brutal cover Tony, I need to check those guys on cover art awesomeness alone! ;)

Exigence wrote:
Ok so going along with Ex Deo, I checked out Septicflesh's "The Great Mass" and its definitely along the lines of what I'm looking for with symphonic death metal. Especially the track "Pyramid God". I just wish it was a little catchier.

Any other suggestions for good, catchy, symphonic death metal? Active bands of course....with that big, crushing orchestral sound.

The Project Hate MCMXCIX has a bit of that beefy sound, although they have a different sonic presentation. It may still be worth checking out, and since they have nine albums in twelve years... well, go chronologically! :p The Monolith Deathcult's Trivmvirate should be your first stop though. I can't remember how the hell it sounds to be perfectly honest, but everyone that praises Ex Deo around here does the same with that album.

Ilwhyan wrote:
I'm looking for something like the last couple of van Drunen fronted albums like Deathhammer and Bow Down Before the Blood Court. The vocals need not be similar, and I'd prefer them not to be, even. What I'm looking for is the massive guitar tone, simple but effective riffing where the power chords hit like slabs of lead. Doomy numbers like ...And Thus the Billions Shall Burn and We Doom You to Death are a bonus, but not mandatory.

Nirvana 2002 scratches that itch to some degree, but I'd like some new albums that benefit from more advanced production methods of the modern times, not that there's anything wrong with Nirvana 2002 production as such.

Hum... maybe a bit of a stretch but how about Chapel of Disease? The little I heard of them was interesting enough and evocative of Asphyx's meaty sound, although I can't remember if old or new... Oh well, you probably know them already! :p

sourlows wrote:
I'm sure this is a common request but:
Looking for more (probably newer or very obscure older stuff) that is similar to Disma/Funebrarum, Cruciamentum and Dead Congregation. OSDM that is more on the Incantation/doomish/atmospheric side of things.

The easier one. Try Desecresy, Krypts, Undergang, Rottrevore, Rippikoulu, Drawn And Quartered, Purtenance.

ApparatusUnearth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:17 pm 

I could use some help finding something similar to Amorphis' Tales from the Thousand Lakes. Not too overbearing on the keyboards, but keyboards are welcome for sure.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:29 pm 

Hi guys, I'm looking for kind of death metal with a modern feel, think of Dyscarnate, Cattle Decapitation, Behemoth and even newer Job for a Cowboy.

Decent production, nothing to raw, the riffs are the most important thing, I love some chugg-tastic riffing, and shreds in the low strings also work, deep thick vocals are wanted too, but if you can give me something with the high pitched style that C. D. has, I'm have no problem with it.

This are some examples of what I'm talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pT4xAh35h0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdXc-GxKrDE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBex8Gz62qs

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:45 am 

androdion wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

Hum... maybe a bit of a stretch but how about Chapel of Disease? The little I heard of them was interesting enough and evocative of Asphyx's meaty sound, although I can't remember if old or new... Oh well, you probably know them already! :p

Well, yeah, they're on my list, but thanks. :) I still haven't listened to them, yet.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192 ... 289  Next