Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Punishing
Delicious Penis Connoisseur

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:08 am 

New Vicious Rumors slays and Procession, I am beyond words! It is that good.

Catamortal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:36 am 

I saw Caladan Brood mentioned only once and it was in a list. Echoes of Battle for me is the best album that has come out this year. It's brilliant! It's so full of emotion and the music is beautiful and it sets the atmosphere of the lyrical theme, perfectly!

Caladan Brood - Book of the fallen

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:43 am 

Mold - Cremated alive. Pretty bad ass 4 track demo here. Old school putridity. Reminds me a bit of Funebrarum. Copious as hell, has a few mid paced doom death sections as well. Need a full length now.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:53 am 

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind wrote:

Mold - Cremated alive. Pretty bad ass 4 track demo here. Old school putridity. Reminds me a bit of Funebrarum. Copious as hell, has a few mid paced doom death sections as well. Need a full length now.

Ooh need to snag that, I jam the 2 track promo pretty regularly.
http://moldycorpse.bandcamp.com/
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

ahr888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:58 am 

Jungle Rot - Terror Regime

Not sure why I've never heard of these guys before they've been around for a while, but I'm enjoying their music a lot. All of their albums are fantastic.

baron samedi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:03 pm 

ahr888 wrote:

Not sure why I've never heard of these guys before they've been around for a while, but I'm enjoying their music a lot. All of their albums are fantastic.
This album is absolutely the most BORING death metal I've ever heard in my life. I wanted to fall asleep so badly that I was angry at time for it being only two hours after I woke up. It is uninspired, typical, stock death metal. It seems like it would come free with microsoft powerpoint for a slideshow about music genres. I'm so upset that I saw this post... I don't even know how I'll make it through the rest of the day without thumbs downing ever track from the album on youtube. Oh, and the production is really stupid. Let's super-produce a death metal album so that everyone can hear very clearly that there are no good riffs.

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:00 pm 

The new Satan record is fantastic. If it had come out right after Court in the Act that could have been one of the best 1-2 punches of the NWOBHM era.

Filosofuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:17 am 

Listened to this today.
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ye ... pyr/373923
I haven't heard the first album by these guys, but I really loved their 2nd, Ausserwelt. Compared to Ausserwelt, Vampyr seems more "hip," so to speak. It is missing most of the heavy riffs found on the previous album, and is less riff-based in general. It's mostly pure atmosphere, and seems to place more emphasis on their post-rock side. It was good to just have playing in the background and relax to, but I'm not sure that I'll listen to it many more times.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:12 am 

Pretty bad ass original occult sludge doom by this new band called Cardinal Wyrm. Released their album called Another Holy Trinity.

Bandcamp - http://cardinalwyrm.bandcamp.com/

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:00 pm 

Also, if you liked old Verminous, no reason you won't love this.

ahr888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:32 pm 

baron samedi wrote:
ahr888 wrote:

This album is absolutely the most BORING death metal I've ever heard in my life. I wanted to fall asleep so badly that I was angry at time for it being only two hours after I woke up. It is uninspired, typical, stock death metal. It seems like it would come free with microsoft powerpoint for a slideshow about music genres. I'm so upset that I saw this post... I don't even know how I'll make it through the rest of the day without thumbs downing ever track from the album on youtube. Oh, and the production is really stupid. Let's super-produce a death metal album so that everyone can hear very clearly that there are no good riffs.

Make sure your tell your psychiatrist about that episode. He'll have to re-evaluate the dosages of your meds.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:49 pm 

baron samedi wrote:
ahr888 wrote:

I liked Jungle Rot's last one okay, but only a couple songs were memorable. This new one is more of the same...and the same...and the same. I agree that's it's rather boring, run-of-the-mill stuff. They were good live, though, a few weeks ago. One of the better live bands of the group I saw. As for their music overall it's not something I'll be returning to very often, if at all. Just not energetic, brutal, or creative enough for my current tastes.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:19 pm 

Anyone expecting more than run of the mill OSDM from Jungle Rot is clearly delusional! :p They're the perfect example of blunt dumb caveman death metal. They have a few cool albums though.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:01 pm 

I don't even reach run of the mill, god I hate that band. They're exactly what they want to be, but what they want to be is terrible.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:55 pm 

I once picked up a Jungle Rot album after hearing some praise around here. I gave it a listen, thought it was decent enough but didn't really grab me. I figured maybe I grabbed the wrong album, so I bought a different one. It sounded exactly the same. Stuff I've heard from other albums of theirs since then have also sounded exactly the same. Not that there's anything really wrong with consistency, but these guys don't even try to evolve even a little bit.

I don't have any beef with the band or anything like that though. If they were playing live near me (fat chance, but still) I'd probably go see them. Actually getting excited for a new album though? What's the point? You could easily just toss in a previous album and seriously get the same result.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:57 pm 

The existence of the New Warlord and the New Satan make the existence of Manilla Road unnecessary. Satan's new album is one of the best comeback albums I've ever heard, holy hell just great songwriting all the way through.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Exigence

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:47 pm 

I downloaded the new Decaying "last days of war"...hopefully they have learned how to shorten songs and not totally ape Hail of Bullets' aesthetic.

Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:51 am 

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but the debut album Origin by Enshine is pretty awesome. It's from the ex-guitarist of Slumber and in that same kind of vein (melodic death/doom). More ethereal and not as heavy as Fallout which creates a more mesmerizing atmosphere. Highly recommended if you're into this little niche of metal music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gVAAcBmxwI

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:26 pm 

Our tastes tend to align, I'll check it out!

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:10 pm 

Cynical_Misanthropy wrote:
I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but the debut album Origin by Enshine is pretty awesome. It's from the ex-guitarist of Slumber and in that same kind of vein (melodic death/doom). More ethereal and not as heavy as Fallout which creates a more mesmerizing atmosphere. Highly recommended if you're into this little niche of metal music.

The entire album is available on their Bandcamp page.

I have to honest though, between this and Atoma's Skylight last year ex-Slumber members can go suck a goat's penis. Every time someone related to Slumber goes on to do something new, using the ex-band's name to get some attention, the result is a watered down mesh of parts of what made Slumber great with whatever it is they have in their minds at the moment. This Enshine album brings absolutely nothing new to the table, as everything they do here Rapture has made significantly better, while still managing to sound marginally like Slumber. In the same respect so did Atoma, although the mixture they made with Skylight was far more unorthodox. And yet you get that small percentage of reminiscence to Slumber mixed with a stream on musical randomness...

I'm tired of giving these guys a break because of my adoration towards Fallout, and as such I can truly say, go suck a goat's penis and stop taunting us with what could've been. :tongue:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:16 pm 

I spinned the new Kvelertak today after their show and it's really damn good. Not as catchy as their debut but the songwriting is as good and the longer songs are cool. I think it will be in my top 20 of 2013.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:20 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I spinned the new Kvelertak today after their show and it's really damn good. Not as catchy as their debut but the songwriting is as good and the longer songs are cool. I think it will be in my top 20 of 2013.

I really liked it too, but you're right, it's not as catchy. It feels a little more mature and less punk-ish. Still fun as hell to drive to!

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:36 pm 

Lychgate is fucking awesome. Gotta buy that album!

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:30 am 

Hopefully some more tracks off Lychgate end up on youtube or they set up a blog spot, since I'm not quite sure what to make of Sceptre to Control the World or Dust of a Gun Barrel just yet. They have a few cool things, such as the vocals, and some Fathers of an Icy Age-esque leads from time to time, but it's quite... delicate for BM. Much more than I was hoping for, there's quite a lot of cascadian sounding junk around too during the blast sections, and alot of the more pure BM is very Emperor like, which for me at least isn't a positive. I know they're trying to be artsy, but they seem to be more Ash Borer artsy than Aosoth or Svartidaudi artsy sadly.

Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:59 pm 

androdion wrote:
Cynical_Misanthropy wrote:

The entire album is available on their Bandcamp page.

I have to honest though, between this and Atoma's Skylight last year ex-Slumber members can go suck a goat's penis. Every time someone related to Slumber goes on to do something new, using the ex-band's name to get some attention, the result is a watered down mesh of parts of what made Slumber great with whatever it is they have in their minds at the moment. This Enshine album brings absolutely nothing new to the table, as everything they do here Rapture has made significantly better, while still managing to sound marginally like Slumber. In the same respect so did Atoma, although the mixture they made with Skylight was far more unorthodox. And yet you get that small percentage of reminiscence to Slumber mixed with a stream on musical randomness...

I'm tired of giving these guys a break because of my adoration towards Fallout, and as such I can truly say, go suck a goat's penis and stop taunting us with what could've been. :tongue:

I hear what you're saying and I definitely agree with your sentiments about using the ex-bands name to garner some attention.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:25 pm 

The new Suidakra, Eternal Defiance, is cool. At first it seemed a bit iffy, but the later tracks are really good. It's more melodic than the old stuff, and not as aggressive, but there are some really gorgeous, cool folk melodies and killer riffs on here. I always love when they do soothing acoustic songs with female singing, and "The Mindsong" on this one is just a grade-A tune. I wish it was a little faster and more aggressive like Signs for the Fallen, but this is pretty damn good. At least a 4/5.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:17 pm 

^ damn, beat me to it. They've really stepped up with the singing parts on Eternal defiance fer sure. That chorus in March of conquest just fuckin rules. I'd easily say it's better than book of dowth.
The last two jungle rot albums were pretty lame, but I really was into What horrors await when that came out in 2009. They do all have a similar sound to them, but so does Amon Amarth and they do a helluva job when they get their mix right... Their new one should be called "Disappointment of the gods" don't think I'm even gonna bother with their new album next month.

Exigence

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:14 pm 

Sacred Gate - Tides of War

Roman themed power metal...kinda thrashy. Not as OTT as Ex Deo but definitely more interesting than most PM releases. Not too shabby!

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:20 pm 

Construct is a return to form for Dark Tranquillity after the boring We Are The Void IMO. The people who complained about the lack of melodic riffs in For Broken Words and Uniformity will be happy to know that there's plenty of them, but the album as a whole is a bit of a change in direction for the band. It's a bit proggier in a Night is the New Day/Dead End Kings Katatonia sense, with more emphasis on dissonant melodies and a more involved atmosphere than their most recent albums.

Also, Mikael Stanne clean vocals make me happy.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:07 am 

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind wrote:
Spoiler: show

Wow, this is really good. Great sense of groove and sounds massive. Hopefully these guys put out something more substantial in the near future.

Tengan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:01 pm 

Svartsyn's new album is a return to form and should be looked up by anyone who's into Swedish black metal.

osborn89419
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:27 am 

Pasadena Napalm Division. As close to a new D.R.I. album we will get apparently.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:57 am 

baron samedi wrote:
ahr888 wrote:

Ha Ha! the comment up above somewhere made me laugh, meds ..hehe anyway I actually really liked Terror Regime, I mean Jungle Rot are doing what they have always done, simple catchy groovy death metal

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:10 am 

Criminal Element apparently has a new album out which is essentially all their songs off the crime and punishment EP's plus a few from their FIRST album, Guilty as Charged.. I love it when bands are too lazy (or too methed up in the case of some death metal bands) to write new material so they just cut and paste their songs onto a full length. again. Seriously, they need to get their shit together. Looking over the track listings, it looks like only 3 of the tracks on here aren't blatant carbon copies of their previous material, one of the songs being "A liar, a thief, and a drug attic", They seriously spelled addict "attic" and slapped it on the track listing. goddamn, Criminal Element used to have so much promise and to see them fall to this level just pisses me off..

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:55 pm 

Necrosemen - And All Shall Be Smitten by Fyre
http://bloodharvestrecords.bandcamp.com ... fyre-12mlp

One-man Wrathprayer-like death metal, vocals reminds me little bit of Demilich. Listenable.

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:19 pm 

Dweller in the Valley's demo, Breath of the Void, really caught my attention. Raw death/black/doom with a hollow, echo-filled production that really fits. It's up for a name-your-price option on their bandcamp.

Lesser Life's EP, The Light Will Never Touch You Again, is also fucking awesome. Blackened grindcore with doomy moments (especially in the last track) and a seriously heavy (I want to say sludgy, but I'm not sure that's the right word for it) guitar tone. Also up for any price you want on their bandcamp.

Also, any fans of the new Denouncement Pyre here?

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:47 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The new Suidakra, Eternal Defiance, is cool. At first it seemed a bit iffy, but the later tracks are really good. It's more melodic than the old stuff, and not as aggressive, but there are some really gorgeous, cool folk melodies and killer riffs on here. I always love when they do soothing acoustic songs with female singing, and "The Mindsong" on this one is just a grade-A tune. I wish it was a little faster and more aggressive like Signs for the Fallen, but this is pretty damn good. At least a 4/5.

I'm really liking this one as well. I think there are enough aggressive parts on this album to satisfy my tastes, and I'm glad they haven't fallen into the trap of making albums too damn long like we see many bands to as they age. I have to say that the production on Eternal Defiance is quite "powerful", for lack of a better word, something that took a little getting used to. Suidakra is a prime model of consistency though, and I'm glad that though there sound has progressed a touch over the years, they still retain the elements that originally got me into the band. The opening riff on "March of Conquest" is spine tingling for me...

Fueled by sex
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:31 am 

Immolation's "Kingdom Of Conspiracy"

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:44 am 

Can't believe that I find Tristania's new album highly enjoyable. Isn't clear cut vintage Tristania, but the gothic element on the album is what that truly defines that band that they were once known for. I used, "were" because I felt "Rubicon" was a huge disappointment.
Very skeptical about giving it a listen, but it's a pleasant surprise for sure.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:08 pm 

Zealotry with their debut album. Reminds me a bit of Immolation and a non wanky version of Lost Soul.. The solos are pretty brilliant.

http://zealotry.bandcamp.com/

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 22  Next