Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:19 pm 

Vandod (Sweden) -Very good Black metal that rarely gets any mentions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEsi_VSlpuQ

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:56 pm 

Garcharot is a very solid Finnish death metal band in the old style, reminiscent of Cannibal Corpse and Deicide. It's not gory or campy like CC, but somewhat darker and more blast beat oriented. I discovered them from the OSDM gems thread, mentioned there by InfernoxDeath.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:02 pm 

One of the greatest obscure band that I know is Lazarus Sin. They play epic, quirky heavy metal with a strong 70's Priest/Sabbath feeling with very unique (but awesome) vocals. They have a somber, haunting mood on their songs and yet their riffs are prime caliber rockin' stuff. Their sole album from 1988 (there also was a second early 90's pressing) is truly a gem. Later changed their name into simply Lazarus and released another album I have heard. But this one is really a keeper if you like obscure arcane US metal. They opening song from that album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LGNE9p1HZ4

Anthony8660
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:55 pm 

I recommend Section's Brain - Hospital of Death. A Czech death/thrash metal band, reminiscent of the oldschool horror trend. The production is great, it's raw as fuck and I really dig the song writing. I justs reviewed them, a forgotten work of brillance!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:13 pm 

The vocalist of Lazarus Sin sounds like a lighter voiced Shelton, actually.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:17 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
The vocalist of Lazarus Sin sounds like a lighter voiced Shelton, actually.

You can make that sort of comparison I guess but he is more "loose" in his delivery and style. Excellent vocals and they suit the music very well.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:30 pm 

Zdan, my man! Just ordered Lazarus Sin's debut based on your post. I'm going in blind because I want to be surprised. You hit on all my buzzwords though: quirky heavy metal with a 70s Priest influence? That's me. I was shocked that it was readily available at a reasonable price too. Thanks for the heads up. Initial listening results will go in the usual thread.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:44 pm 

Damn man, Lazarus Sin is quite awesome indeed! Jonpo, my dude, have you heard Illegal Bodies? It's basically a Canadian MR influenced epic metal band with hints of black metal. I know you're an old schooler but they have a free downloadable release. http://illegalbodies.bandcamp.com/

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:17 pm 

On my way from work right now, I'll check them out as soon as I get home. The download is worthless to me but if they're good I can be on the lookout for a proper release.

You've definitely got me curious as to their sound. I hope they went light on those black metal influences!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:49 pm 

THIS IS FUCKING DOPE WHAT THE FUCK!?

Are there no plans to release this on a physical format? I just looked them up and the release seems...complete. I didn't realize it was 2 years old; thought this was like a brand new project. This is not acceptable, someone press this to CD on the instant. It sounds like Voivod decided to play USPM or something, really neat.

I'm downloading it with a scowl.

Edit: Voivod/USPM was a knee-jerk reaction and I don't feel like that's quite right. I think they actually remind me of Demontage with clean vocals a bit? I've still only played the first "real" song once so these thoughts are occuring way after the fact.

Last edited by Jonpo on Fri May 17, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:59 pm 

Jonpo buddy I think I have bad news. All the copies of the Lazarus Sin debut that are available are band produced CD-R reissues or greek bootlegs. It is really hard to find a proper copy of this gem on CD so beware when ordering that one.

But DO try to check it out as it probably one of the best and most underrated gems of US heavy metal to my ears. Next to Crillson (that also recently got reissued) and Carbide and their "Spiral Termination" album.

Speaking of which -as far as underrated and great releases go - check out the above mentioned Carbide album "Spiral Termination". Released in 1994 this US band played an awesome mix of Helstar-style US power, mixed with lots of melodic speed/thrash and also a classic heavy metal influence. That album is truly a great old school metal ride. Here are two first songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAhmQYDFedg

and the second song - Warlords Of The City (awesome title BTW!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlJYGbQQm2U

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:02 pm 

Hahha yeah I figured it was a bootleg based on the MA notes. The "label" that reissued it was called like Luci Phyre records or something...Fingers crossed for Greek boot I guess?

I didn't pay much for it so I'm not too worried. You mentioning 70s Priest and the review mentioning Slauter Xstroyes left me with absolutely zero options.

And I'll certainly look into that album. Just not right now because I'm starting my friday with a bowl and the Sortilege EP.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:05 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Hahha yeah I figured it was a bootleg based on the MA notes. The "label" that reissued it was called like Luci Phyre records or something...Fingers crossed for Greek boot I guess?

I didn't pay much for it so I'm not too worried. You mentioning 70s Priest and the review mentioning Slauter Xstroyes left me with absolutely zero options.

It is similar to Slauter Xstroyes in so much as it is quirky and off-beat at times. But I personally hear a lot of 70's "Sad Wings Of Destiny"-era Priest there and Sabbath too. Love it to bits. You can message me when you get the CD - I can tell if it it's the bootleg or the genuine deal as I have both.

And if you like power/speed/thrash check out Carbide mentioned above. You will like them too!

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:48 pm 

Zdan wrote:
One of the greatest obscure band that I know is Lazarus Sin. They play epic, quirky heavy metal with a strong 70's Priest/Sabbath feeling with very unique (but awesome) vocals. They have a somber, haunting mood on their songs and yet their riffs are prime caliber rockin' stuff. Their sole album from 1988 (there also was a second early 90's pressing) is truly a gem. Later changed their name into simply Lazarus and released another album I have heard. But this one is really a keeper if you like obscure arcane US metal.

Holy shit! This is quite amazing, Zdan!

I'll keep an eye for any recommendations you have :-D

Mimogrede
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:31 am 

A more recent found - Arctic Sleep - had me quite baffeled about why they are not more known, becouse I instantly fell in love with their sound, the atmosphere and the singers voice and there is just something special about their primitive riffs :D IMO they are just really amazing... They aren't even on the archives tho they have been mentioned in the "why is band x not on MA"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5Oix3l9kSk

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:37 am 

Catacomb (French death metal with Lovecraft themes) would be suited to this thread I think. While they do pop up very occasionally in death metal rec threads, I think they deserve much more recognition. They released a few demos and an EP in the early 90s, and an EP in 2001 before splitting up, which is a shame. I'd have loved to have heard a full length - In the Maze of Kadath is amazing.

Spoiler: show

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:54 am 

Mimogrede wrote:
A more recent found - Arctic Sleep - had me quite baffeled about why they are not more known, becouse I instantly fell in love with their sound, the atmosphere and the singers voice and there is just something special about their primitive riffs :D IMO they are just really amazing... They aren't even on the archives tho they have been mentioned in the "why is band x not on MA"

That's an amazing band right there!

Ninjakillzu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:59 pm 

I just recently found out about a German thrash metal band called In Tyrannos. They only have 1 album so far (hopefully followed by many more to come). It's all in German and about conspiracies. I absolutely love thrash about conspiracies so this was an instant win in my book. Here's a couple songs of theirs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhPLx0TrbSk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCPzHKCyoiA

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:07 pm 

Mimogrede wrote:

This band sounds like a downtuned version of Hum. Not really metal at all, I'd say.

Not as good as Hum, but it's good to hear people take influence from that criminally underlooked band.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

MrMetalinasuit1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:02 pm 

I know a few obscure Irish bands

Ethereal (Doom)
I couldn't find a youtube link to this.
http://irish-metal.bandcamp.com/album/e ... -demo-1994
It's fairly catchy but the vocals ruin it by drowning everything else out and sounding like they where recorded in a bathroom.

Plagued
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:32 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkMMN-HtD84

Constant Vulse is a great Grindcore Band from Trier in Germany, saw them live a couple of times. This is probably one of their best songs, even though thei whole E.P. is great. It's energy-packed, and wow is the drummer a beast, the recording doesn't even do his skills Justice...

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:30 pm 

Gypaetus wrote:
Catacomb (French death metal with Lovecraft themes) would be suited to this thread I think. While they do pop up very occasionally in death metal rec threads, I think they deserve much more recognition. They released a few demos and an EP in the early 90s, and an EP in 2001 before splitting up, which is a shame. I'd have loved to have heard a full length - In the Maze of Kadath is amazing.

Spoiler: show

Catacomb is great. The compilation is def worth getting.

Mimogrede
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:33 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Mimogrede wrote:

This band sounds like a downtuned version of Hum. Not really metal at all, I'd say.

Not as good as Hum, but it's good to hear people take influence from that criminally underlooked band.

I checked out Hum becouse of that, and yeah, they are really good. I'm not gonna go into an argument wether or not AS are metal or not, what matters is their music is nice :)

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:56 am 

Another one of the total unknowns (no review on this site) is Vahalla. They play a dark brand of power/thrash with emphasis on crushing, mostly-mid tempo riffing and include an awesome bass tone. Their songs include everything that is needed - tempo changes, thrash bursts etc. The vocalist is also great possessing an awesome mid-range voice but he can also go into falsettos. You could possible compare them to a lot more crushing Sacred Reich or the thrashier songs off "Cowboys From Hell". Savage Steel (if you know that band) also comes to mind. Generally - dark, thrashy power metal with some crushing riffing!

Sample song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX3wzsXtRQw

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:23 pm 

Really enjoying this Vargrimm album, the only problem I have are the parts with the clean, chanty vocals.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:04 am 

Just heard this band :
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Medalyon/1495

Very very nice debut album, but with a strangely subdued production. Somehwere between USPM and Prog Metal. Whatever happened to them ?

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:13 pm 

The first band that comes to mind is Black Shadow. They're active, have released a number of full lengths, and deliver fierce black metal in the vein of Naglfar. I wish I could supply some samples, but you'll have to go to their website. Awesome band. Never seen them mentioned once, and physical copies of their albums are very hard to come by. I've only ever found one.

Honorable mention goes to another quality Russian band, Aeons ov Frost. Very full compositions that don't sound bloated, all too common among symphonic black bands that all want to sound like Anorexia Nervosa.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:00 am 

Morbid Footnote need to be in this thread because I keep namedropping them everywhere but no one seems to actually notice them yet. Their debut is seriously one of my favorite DM albums of 2012 - it's fast-paced, chunky and concise music that basically reminds me of Incantation with the brevity of a well-executed grindcore band. The guitar tone is stupidly heavy and the music is simultaneously malevolent and fun without compromising either.

You can stream their stuff and download it for free here: http://morbidfootnote.bandcamp.com/

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:16 am 

You had me at Incantation. I'll check it out. :thumbsup:

Morbid Footnote is a rather lame name though, I think.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:19 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
You had me at Incantation. I'll check it out. :thumbsup:

Morbid Footnote is a rather lame name though, I think.

Agreed to both! Thanks, MCF.

Ninjakillzu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:43 am 

Mordeth

Progressive death metal band from Brazil. I absolutely love the cover of the album Animicide.
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Mordeth/2535
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpjVRhNdpKg
The above song is called Sphinx of Cydonia.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:53 pm 

Here's some really well executed psychedelic black metal, made by one man, no less. Paths are a Canadian black-metal band with a thick, velvet blanket of an atmosphere, and some really interesting sounds, especially with regards to eerie, beautiful synth and luxuriant, hypnotic sections. They really clicked with me while I was reviewing them (no plug intended), so I thought I'd share them in this thread too. Plus threads supporting little-known acts like this are a really good thing, and I'd like to keep it alive.

http://pathsmetal.bandcamp.com/

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:40 am 

Another Finnish black metal band to keep a lookout for. Their first demo just came out and it's quite impressive. Dirty melodic aggression.

TheTrueSeker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:25 pm 

XcKyle93 wrote:
Someone here introduced me to these guys: Depresy

Interesting Slovakian take on Atmospheric/Melodic Death Metal.

Thanks so much for posting this. Just downloaded the EP and it is awesome. I vaguely remember seeing this posted in one of the old school death metal threads a couple years back or something, but I got pretty burnt out on the whole obscure death metal thing after suffering through shit like Abhoth, Wombbath, and such, so I don't think I payed any attention back then. This Depresy EP at least is great. It reminds me a lot of Septic Flesh, but that whole early Septic Flesh/Horrified atmospheric death metal style is so complex and varied that pretty much every take I've heard on it has been quite unique and interesting. Depresy appear to be no exception, at least on this EP. Can anyone vouch for their later material?

Seeing that they are a Slovakian band brought a band back to mind that I hadn't thought of in ages: Apoplexy.

These guys play a pretty complex style of semi-melodic death metal. Parts of it are comparable to the early Hellenic stuff, other bits sound a bit like Eucharist, but on the whole, they're pretty original. They specialize in longer songs that have lots of twists and turns in their compositions while still remaining catchy due to their melodies, as well as the substantial percussive force behind the more normal death metal-sounding sections. They also have some cool medieval-sounding parts with synths and classical-ish guitar. Is this kind of like Slovakia's regional style, like how all of that spazz-grindy stuff comes from the Czech Republic, or how there were all of those goofy death'n'roll bands from Denmark in the mid '90s? If so, I might need to check out more Slovakian bands.

Speaking of early Septic Flesh-esque stuff, one band that never seems to get mentioned by anyone is Horrified.

I haven't heard any of their later material, but I picked up a reissue of their first album a few years ago. I was listening to a lot of the old Greek stuff, and I remembered seeing their name mentioned in a list of Hellenic black/death metal releases, so I bought it online for next to nothing. One of my better blind CD purchases. Horrified started out playing fairly brutal death metal in the style of Sinister/Ceremony (or even Suffocation, but that's a bit of a stretch), but they pretty quickly shifted their style to a more atmospheric/orchestral one while still retaining their deathly roots. Normally I find mostly early '90s death metal keyboard usage to be pretty cheesy and not terribly important to the actual songwriting (more there for the texture), but Horrified's more orchestral approach feels just like that: orchestration, like every sound they produce is coming out of one giant, complex instrument. It just all feels really together and tight, despite some goofier synth noises and clean vocals.

One of the most obscure bands I've come across is Dies Irae, a Norwegian symphonic black metal act from Norway.

As you can tell from the songtitles, they've pretty heavily influenced by classical music. In fact, the black metal parts seem almost more like they're there to bolster the heavier parts of the neoclassical sounding stuff than anything else. I wish the production wasn't so awful (particularly on the guitars), but it does kind of give it a special atmosphere. The dudes from this band also had another band called Cruciamentum that was slightly more conventional black metal. Both bands are pretty cool. I used to like to pretend that the Dies Irae/Cruciamentum guys became Norske Synder and later Slagmaur since the music had a similar feel to it, but I guess they're both from opposite parts of Norway.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:10 pm 

TheTrueSeker asking about Depresy wrote:
Can anyone vouch for their later material?

Sighting is brilliant! Psychomantium Phenomenon is much more symphonic and "blacker", and while it still has some quality I find it very inconsistent. I also dislike the new vocalist. Morph - Near Death Experiences is pretty shitty, straight up brutal black/death with symphonic touches and ultra polished production.

And regarding Apoplexy, those guys are very weird. Too weird actually.

There are a few bands that no one seems to care about, given that we're talking about Eastern Europe. Listed below are the recommend albums from each of them. Bonus points if anyone in here knows more than one of them! :p

Love History
Hypnotic Scenery
Wayd
Lunatic Gods
Forgotten Silence
Phantasmagory

Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:23 am 

Vrantia - Ambient Black from Venezuela - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlQx_kucUpk&list=PL0545CAFFADAAC911
Gru - Progressive Metal/Djent from Poland - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh2phcT1qRE

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:36 am 

Constantine from Finland. They play progressive metal that's pretty modern sounding but always keep their sound focused and straight to the point. The guitars are quite Iron Maiden-ish at times and their vocalist who sounds pretty enthusiastic reminds me of a cleaner Kai Hansen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KzCyS7kEcI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmmdPdjEqxc

Next are Slaughter Lord. An Australian thrash/proto black/death metal band that sound raw and dirty. Fans of early Kreator will probably dig the shit out of this stuff. The production could turn some people off though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLOO_7HY26M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWPSrrfJQkE

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5