Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:21 pm 

About the only stuff i listened to as a kid that i still appreciate is Boston and Jimmy Eat World. Boston's Greatest Hits was the first CD i ever bought with allowance/birthday money. Even now, the song "More than a Feeling" reminds me of the day my Ottawa Senators traded away Marian Hossa. Jimmy Eat World's "Bleed American" started my continuing respect for coal miners.

If 14 is still a kid, then i was a kid when i first heard Iron Maiden and Metallica. A friend put "2 Minutes to Midnight" on his mp3, while we were waiting to be summoned to our Good Friday liturgy of all things. (I went to a Catholic high school). I immediately dove into collecting their whole catalogue. Then someone used "Enter Sandman" as the soundtrack to a video of all the brawls in that legendary Sens-Flyers game in 2004. So i bought much of their albums as well.

Errebuss
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:09 pm 

My parents force fed me nothing but country music when I was younger. But I was way too hardcore for that. Even from an early age, around 7 I'd say, I could feel the darkness inside me.

I rebelled against them with this kind of brutality.

:headbang:

MachineKornSymmetry93
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:45 pm 

as a kid it was pretty much classic rock and glam metal bands my mom played like Ratt, Def Leppard, Bruce Springstien, and ACDC. my dad liked Billy Joel and country music mostly. i got into rap when i was 10 and liked Eminem and DMX and discovered rock in elementary and got into it in jr high. bands like Sum 41, Fuel, Rise Against, and Alkaline TTrio. i got into heavyer stuff when i was around 15 and i found a tv channel called Gotuit music and it was organized by genre from that i discovered Slipknot, Korn, Queens of the Stone Age, Papa Roach, Limp Bizkit, etc. my friend from school showed me Pantera and System of a Down(i also got into the juggalo thing for about 2 years but ill skip that) and from there i got into heavyer bands throughout high school discovering bands like Lamb of God, Hatebreed, Machine Head, Fear Factory, Metallica, Slayer, etc and after high school went to mayhem fest for the first time and being around so much metal and metal fans i just kept looking for heavyer and more technical bands which lead me to enjoying the likes of Scar Symmetry, Meshuggah, Obituary, Megadeth, In Flames, Cannibal Corpse, Iron Maiden, Helloween, Black Sabbath, etc. i pretty much moved away from Nu Rock and Alt(with the exception of Korn who i still credit as one of my favorite bands for getting me into heavy music and helping me through alot of rough shit.

Dux_Saxoniae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:05 pm 

Errebuss wrote:
My parents force fed me nothing but country music when I was younger. But I was way too hardcore for that. Even from an early age, around 7 I'd say, I could feel the darkness inside me.

I rebelled against them with this kind of brutality.

:headbang:

There's some very dark country music out there (Hank Williams III, the "death country" of Those Poor Bastards, The Pine Box Boys etc.), but it's no surprise that that stuff tends to be blended with punk. Hank3's Straight to Hell was the first country record to get a Parental Advisory label. It's a great album, too.

Back on topic: as a proper kid I listened to children's classical music (Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf, Saint-Saëns's Carnival of the Animals - still love both) and later the Beatles, but that was more music from my parents rather than anything I chose for myself. The first band I chose was Linkin Park. Terrible in retrospect, but it was the first music my parents hated (well, mildly disliked), which is a bit of a milestone. From there I moved on to Maiden, and the rest is history.

baron samedi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:25 am 

I went through many phases

My parents listen to the beatles, the eagles, the stones, stevie wonder, so really I have this music ingrained in my soul and I could probably sing along if I heard a song even if I dont know what its called or why I know it. I do think all these are good groups in their own respect. My first favorite song was Get Over It by the Eagles. I dunno I liked that one, but I thought the lyrics were really funny when they say 'I'd like to meet your inner child and kick his little ass'.

3rd grade I listened to like britany spears and nsync, but to be honest I didn't know what music was or why people liked it. I just knew the rest of the kids in my class had the cd so I wanted to fit in or something. I got over this pretty quick because I realized I just didn't really like the music. I also got into Eminem at this same time, but I genuinely liked that and continued to listen till I was in middle school. I still kind of like Eminem now, at least for karaoke purposes.

4th grade onward I've been a big Weird Al fan. I still like Weird Al. I know it's immature, but I guess there's just a nostalgia value. Many of the bands I started liking from this point in my life I actually discovered through Weird Al's parodies. I'd be like Oh man I really like this song, then in the lyrics booklet it would be like (music originally by nirvana) and I'd be like oh, I should listen to the real one. Still, since I was very young the silly lyrics were more appealing to me than the originals.

5th grade was the start of my pop-punk phase. I bought my first explicit content cd, Blink-182 Enema Of The State. I remember my mom was a bit shocked by the cover art and lyrics and from this point I was told that I cannot buy these sort of explicit content cds only censored ones. I was like gee mom why didn't you care that I listened to Eminem in 3rd grade? but whatever.
I continued to be a big Blink, Greenday, Goldfinger, etc fan through 7th grade which is when I discovered metal.

At first I didn't listen to metal for the proper reasons. I listened to it because it was loud and unpopular and 'evil' according to the people around me... thusly my favorite bands were Slipknot, KoRn, Metallica, Limp Bizkit. I still listened to plenty of pop punk and sum41 though. But i distinctly remember having a mix CD-R labeled DEATH METAL featuring KoRn, Slayer, Slipknot, and Tool. How confused I was.

Then, in 8th grade, all in one day, I was watching headbanger's ball with my friend and it was the episode featuring Dimmu Borgir, Nile, and Mastodon. And in one fell swoop I realized immediately that everything I had known up unto this point was stupid. The fucking intensity of Progenies of the Great Apocalypse, the brutally low vocals in Sarcophagus, the ridiculous technical drumming in March of the Fire Ants (along with that dropped A) I was sold. I went to the store and bought the two disc headbangers ball cd and never looked back. (even though nowadays the only one of these bands I listen to is Nile. Mastodon I still like but they just cant put out a decent album anymore. Dimmu I pretty much don't care for)

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:20 am 

Honestly I did not get into music beyond whatever happened to be playing on the radio or whatnot until I was 12 or 13. That's when I got into metal music. Before that, I was not a music kid pretty much at all.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:21 am 

Um. I listened to a lot of bad music.

but I didn't evn "start listening to music" (I mean, really get into it) until around '97... so, before that, I just enjoyed music I heard from my parents or on TV.

I liked Petra a lot because my mom played them a lot in the car. I also liked Wilson Phillips, at least their s/t (actually still do), because that's one thing my parents played a lot of, too.

as for shit on the radio, I really liked that Ace of Base song, (still do. It's damn catchy)... plus a handful of songs I heard on TV that I can still recall. A mixed bag of stuff, really.

and Alanis Morrissette's Jagged Little Pill, because my dad seemed to really like that one and play it constantly.

By the mid-late 90's, I was really into stuff like Korn/Nu-Metal, which was probably my first real musical interest, along with some alternative/Grunge stuff... but I was also aware enough that I could tell a lot of music on the radio was just really fucking shitty. I think that "Blue" song by Eiffel-whatever was probably the first song I ever heard and thought "Holy fuck, this song sucks!" It annoyed the shit out of me, and I could not see the appeal. Around that same time, though, Spice Girls were sort of a guilty pleasure. IYWBML is catchy as shit, and people who say otherwise are deaf retards, just saying. I basically pretended I hated them because I was "supposed to", though.

I remember I used to watch music videos on MTV all night and into early morning around the summer of '98. I got really into that "Beautiful Stranger" song by Madonna + the stupid Austin Powers video that went with it. Makes me feel nostalgic if I hear it nowadays... even if I basically only got into it by having it bored into my head with constant repeats.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:25 am 

For most of my childhood I didn't really listen to music, except for the occasional soundtrack. However, I got into music more when I was around 13-15, listening to J-rock themes from Gundam and Kamen Rider. A year later I finally got into metal. I liked Sabaton after hearing Panzer Battlion on a video showing Warhammer 40k tanks like the Leman Russ and Land Raider. Shortly after, I also heard Hammerfall. Sadly though, I also liked some Rammstein, but it could have been much worse. I really have been getting into metal the past couple of years (I'm 20 now, almost 21).

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:46 am 

When I was a kid, my dad used to play a lot of Buddy Holly and, er, The Drifters, which is enjoyable to a tiny child mind. I did find that the stuff that was hooking me, though, was stuff by The Sweet, Mud, Sparks and Suzi Quatro. I was pretty much into that 70's glam / new wave sound.

Then, in 1980, when I was 10, I discovered AC/DC, also thanks to my dad, and NOTHING WAS EVER THE SAME AGAIN!!!!

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:08 am 

Christ, so many jesus freak households in the states it seems!

The first pieces of music I can clearly remember as a child are Pet Shop Boys "west end Girls" and Cindi Lauper "time after time". Other childhood ones I remember clearly are Leonard Cohen (hated it as it was my Dad's maudlin drinking music. Little did I know I'd end up a depressed middle aged drunk myself and loving it to bits), the Eagles, J.J.Cale, and the War of the Worlds musical, which freaked me out. Still rate it today though.

The first stuff I bought myself was a Queen greatest hits tape, some terrible "hits of 88" tape with Jesus Jones, the KLF etc among the highlights...then Nirvana came on the TV.

Although my Aunt insists I was a metalhead from birth. She tells a story about me being 3 and Quiet Riot coming on the radio and me being transfixed, mumbling in my 3 year old voice "loud...loud...loud"

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:11 am 

The first 2 tapes I ever bought AKA my mom bought for me were Faith No More - The Real Thing and shamefully MC Hammer's first album :( Luckily it was the FNM style that I really liked which then brought me to GnR in kindergarten or 1st grade (thanks to my 3rd grade friend) I will also never forget when I first saw an And Justice for All tape in a bargain bin and I wanted it but my mom said "I don't know honey, their music might be a little to rar rar!" Also remember one day before 3rd grade I saw the Enter Sandman video on MTV and was like holy fucking shit, I knew I should have bought that Metallica album! So then I went out and bought all their tapes along with Megadeth, Slayer and Pantera soon to follow. I was already a metalhead by 3rd grade and spent lots of time in the principles office :evil:

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:23 pm 

A Dutch band called Michael Learns To Rock occupied a lot of my time, I still listen to them today. Great band, who really knew how to write a hook in a non-obnoxious way.

Backstreet Boys and Westlife, still listen to them today too. The latter have become a self-parodying loser act but their early stuff remains essential.

Von Jugel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:27 pm 

It wasn't until I was 10 in 1987 that I started listening to FM radio or watched MTV.

I received a pic disc of Slippery When Wet that my dad brought home from a trade show one day. I'll admit that I thought Bon Jovi was the coolest band ever that summer, but I actually didn't listen the the record much once I got it.

Later in the year I got into Def Leppard, and that turned out to be the perfect starting band to get into. By summer of '88 I had all the cassettes, plus the VHS of their videos. To this day I still play those first two albums quite a bit.

In later '88, my friend's older cousin introduced us to Metallica and Anthrax, and I later started listening to WVVX in Chicago, and bought magazines like Rip and Metal Maniacs, so the metal path was paved.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:47 pm 

grauer_mausling wrote:
MrMcThrasher II wrote:
... Social Distortion...crap like that...

:grumble: oh boy... :wink:

What? They really suck.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:33 pm 

My favorite songs came from 90s radio rock and alternative that would play on the local radio station WRFY. This included bands like Stone Temple Pilots, Sister Hazel, Toad The Wet Sprocket, Vertical Horizon, Smashmouth, Smashing Pumpkins, Green Day, Lit, Nirvana and so on. The station also did a flashback on Saturday nights where they'd play classic rock, and my dad listened to a classic rock radio station almost all the time. All of my first concerts were classic rock bands - including Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Three Dog Night, Eddie Money. Some of my all time favorite songs are either 90s alternative, or random classic songs. Dream Weaver by Gary Wright is one I hooked onto very early on, Walk On The Ocean by Toad The Wet Sprocket is another one.

Then there was 90s "Swimming pool pop" - pop songs that would play whenever we were at a public pool, or a water park (especially Dorney Park's Wildwater Kingdom), or any amusement park. Since my parents were members of American Coaster Enthusiasts, we went to a LOT of amusement parks in the 1990s and the music of the day included Savage Garden, Backstreet Boys, New Kids on the Block, Brittney Spears, Len, N'sync. Since music serves as a strong mnemonic reminder, many songs by those groups remind me of those days on summer vacation. Out of all of them, the one I liked the most was Savage Garden.

The period between 1999 and 2004 brought on a whole new dimension to music - I would gain the ability to obtain songs for my own personal enjoyment through P2P filesharing programs. First was Napster, then Aimster, then Grokster and Kazaa. This was also my Jr. High and High school years, so some of the bands I listened to included Limp Bizkit, Korn, Slipknot, Hatebreed, Papa Roach. Papa Roach's Last Resort was played at a Jr. High dance and that's what piqued my interest in the nu-metal bands of the day. I associated Hatebreed and Lamb of God with nu-metal, albeit incorrectly. I didn't get into either of them at the time. I renewed my interest in 90s radio rock, as well as contemporary rock such as Three Doors Down, Creed, Lifehouse just to name a few. Two bands in particular I listened to religiously during this time period were Eiffel 65 and Electrasy, the latter being known for the song "Cosmic Castaway" off the Titan AE soundtrack.

2004 is the year things changed dramatically. I went to Europe in July and picked up a CD in France by a band called AqME. Sombres Efforts was what it was called. I couldn't even listen to it until I got back home, but once I did - well, it's one of my favorite albums of all time. AqME is a French nu-metal band, though their style is heavily influenced by Nirvana and they have a doom-metal type atmosphere. Recent stuff borders on sludge and experimental music.

2005 is the year I fully immersed myself in heavy metal music. I asked for similar bands to AqME while looking at CDs being sold by this guy at a flea-market. He suggest Nirvana, but then I spotted this strange CD that had transparent neon green plastic - it was Demonic Electronic by Bile. The seller described it as being "very harsh"... so I got it. I was curious. I listened to it, liked it and looked up similar artists on Yahoo! Music. Looking back, that wasn't a very good source of information, the website described King Diamond as "death metal", but even though Six Feet Under sounded nothing like Bile (I mean - groove/death metal/death'n'roll versus industrial metal? Come on!) I still was intrigued by my first ever taste of death metal. The same seller that sold me the Bile CD gave me a list of CDs - from that list I acquired Moonspell, Mystic Circle, Amorphis, King Diamond, December Wolves and several others. It was a good deal - 10 CDs for 6 bucks each. There were a whole range of genres in that stack and that's the moment I became a metalhead.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

HerrDerQual
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:42 pm 

Aaron Carter made me like music.

That makes me depressed.

were they hot?

Imperator666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:36 pm 

Tom Jones, Shania Twain, AC/DC, and Aerosmith.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:49 pm 

I think the first album I ever really got into was that Smashmouth one with that "You're A Rockstar" song. From that I got into lame "alternative" rock, basically whatever I'd hear on the radio. I do admit that I liked Nickleback when I was 10 or 11. After that I became obsessed with Linkin Park and then NOFX and System Of A Down. When I was 13 I started getting into a bit heavier stuff like Metallica, Atreyu and Slipknot. When I was 14 I got really into punk with led me to crust punk with in turn led me to metal.

Thrash Til Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:43 pm 

In elementary school it was whatever was on the radio, I guess.
I got Guitar Hero eventually and gained an interest in playing real guitar and listening to rock/metal music.

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:00 am 

Funnily enough, I listened to gangsta rap and the like when I was like 10. N.W.A., 2Pac, Bone-Thugs-n-Harmony, Wu Tang Clan, all that stuff.

Got into metal when I was around 13. It was Metallica's "Creeping Death", which my brother was playing on the radio when I was in the room. I soon started exploring other genres and ended up at black metal when I was like 14.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:42 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW3PFC86UNI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRdxUFDoQe0

This got me into music along with 70s blues rock and classical music.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:57 am 

I didn't get into metal until I was about 15, before that I listened at first to nothing but Greenday, and subsequently Greenday followed by the occasional journey into folk-punk; The Pogues, Flogging Molly and the like; I still listen to a bit of folk when I'm tired of metal, but the Greenday tailed-of somewhat.

Either way, I was a very late developed with music; I didn't have any desire to listen to it until I was a teenager, and even then I was limited to less than perhaps ten bands, for a long time.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:32 am 

I listened to a lot of classic rock since that's what my family listened to, stuff like Neil Young, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd. I was also into some mainstream rock/pop/whatever like Green Day, Smash Mouth, Linkin Park, etc. And then a little bit of slightly weirder stuff like They Might Be Giants, since my dad is a big fan of theirs. After a while I got more and more into classic rock in middle school, then got into metal when I was around 15 as well.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:42 am 

analog_winter wrote:
And then a little bit of slightly weirder stuff like They Might Be Giants, since my dad is a big fan of theirs.

I used to listen to them a good bit too. My personal favorites were "Particle Man" and the one about Constantinople. They've actually done a lot of the music for Mickey Mouse Clubhouse too.

FlaPack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:05 am 

I'm originally from small,small town western North Carolina and not wealthy so my only access to music as a kid was the radio. We only had one rock station with a decent signal in my town so I listened to whatever they played. Being a child of the '80s it was mostly hair bands and popular hard rock. That was reinforced and augmented by the hair metal and a little trad that my best friend's mother had around the house (my parents listened to very little music so no influence there). When cable television finally came to our area in the late '80s I was fascinated by MTV's Headbanger's Ball. Until I had my own money and access to friends with cars in high school I had no real way to explore music on my own. Just had to consume whatever the radio or MTV chose to program. Even in high school it was pretty limited. I mean, even in the nearest large town the selection at the shitty corporate record store wasn't very diverse and without the internet or word of mouth from a club scene how do you discover new music? It was a revelation when I moved off to college and a good independent record store within walking distance of my dorm. A good portion of my student loans from those years went to Schoolkids Records. Damn I miss that place.

kaax
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:50 pm 

Didn't really care for music until I was 10 or 11, and it was mostly alt/nu metal (Disturbed, SOAD, Powerman 5000 etc.) that was popular at the time along with "cock rock" (AC/DC, Bon Jovi). Dropped that, went on a Michael Jackson phase until he died.

Stopped caring for music until I "discovered" I liked Maiden/Sabbath/Metallica. I knew their famous songs but I just went deeper into more extreme sounds. Maybe except for Rob Zombie and a bit of Rammstein I don't really enjoy what I used to listen to.

IntenseHatred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:13 pm 

Completely different than what I listen to now. When I was a kid the closest to heavy metal that I listened to was Quiet Riot, or Motley Crue. I listened to whatever was popular on the radio. Culture Club, Michael Jackson, Fat Boys. In the early 70s I liked the Doors and the Beatles. In the 80s I went in the wrong direction. Luckily I discovered Slayer in the early 90s, and the rest as they say is history.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:56 pm 

well, the first rock record I actually owned was Journey- I think I was about eleven. I was into AC/DC (all the fifth grade boys were then, no surprise) and I really liked Blondie for some reason. I may be dating myself here. Ozzy was my gateway to metal in 6th grade. Rush and Led Zeppelin were other early favorates of mine, too.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:14 am 

first song i really remember liking was "walk of life" by dire straits - my dad had a tape of brothers in arms that he played to death in the car for most of the late 80s/early 90s and i guess that rubbed off on me. this would've been 1987-88. music i decided that i liked without any outside influence, though.... there are a handful of songs i remember really liking on the radio, but no idea which one came first: c&c music factory's "things that make you go mmm", richard marx's "hazard", scorpions' "winds of change", michael jackson's "black or white", ugly kid joe's "everything about you", metallica's "the unforgiven", nirvana's "smells like teen spirit".... basically, one of those. by the looks of that i became musically "aware" around 1990-91. cool.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:15 am 

Top 40 stuff, I remember I'd jam the hell out of Steal My Sunshine by Len when I was a kid for some reason but I had a little FM radio from Kmart, I'd turn it on and play video games a lot with it as background music.

I then got into nu metal, saw the mecha nu metal line up of all time, Slipknot, System Of A Down and Hatebreed at Big Day Out '05 and a year or two later I got into extreme metal which I've been listening to since.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:20 am 

TheStormIRide wrote:
analog_winter wrote:
And then a little bit of slightly weirder stuff like They Might Be Giants, since my dad is a big fan of theirs.

I used to listen to them a good bit too. My personal favorites were "Particle Man" and the one about Constantinople. They've actually done a lot of the music for Mickey Mouse Clubhouse too.

Yeah. Particle Man and Istanbul (Not Constantinople) are both cool. I should listen to some of their stuff again, it's pretty catchy and fun, but still pretty quirky.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

The SHM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:51 pm 

Rage Against the Machine, Gorillaz, Radiohead, '70s Black Sabbath, Deltron 3030, 1991-1994 Soundgarden, 1991-1994 Nirvana, Tool, Sleep, System of a Down, P.O.D., video game soundtracks (gotta love those PS1/Nintendo 64 sounds!)... And god, do I remember Metallica. My dad had the VHS for 'One' and I could never figure out, "Are those women? Are those... Are those women???" Good times, early 2000s.
199X-2005.
From 2005 to 2008, I really only had Soundgarden, Gorillaz, Dredg, Chevelle, and Radiohead to keep me company.
2009, Early iPod age: Getting into alternative/nu metal such as Dredg, Chevelle, Soundgarden again, rediscovering Gorillaz, rediscovering Radiohead, Coldplay, Disturbed, Tool (was obsessed with Tool at one point), KoRn, System of a Down again, RATM again, Seether, Linkin Park, Ozzy Osbourne, Black Sabbath, Foo Fighters, Metallica, Fuel, Breaking Benjamin, Staind, Creed, rediscovering P.O.D., Sum 41, Slayer, rediscovering Deltron 3030, Hoobastank, Alien Ant Farm, Audioslave, some faceless grind metal bands... Alt rock stuff mostly with instances of hip hop/trip hop or other genres. Whatever was on Modern Rock radio, I tended to look up. Since most of Modern Rock is alt rock/post-grunge/alt metal/pop punk... Yeah.

Then on May 27, 2010, I discovered Electric Wizard. I'd like to mark that as the point I officially grew something important. Never looked back. Still haven't gotten over my obsession for doom, stoner music, and the blues, and it's led to a whole lotta other stuff, from nü-jazz and Jet Set Radio Future-esque electrodance to Classical-era Roman music. Yeah, Electric Wizard led me to listen to The Prodigy, don't ask how, but... it worked like that. Then again, the fact that I happened to enjoy Jet Set Radio Future/The World Ends With You probably helped... And a rediscovery of alternative has helped. I blame (((thank))) The Melvins.

Yeah, what bought me with El Wiz was the fact that it was so goddamn heavy and yet it had the musical structure of Black Sabbath. Up until that point, I thought only thrash/death/grind (and admittedly some nü/alt) metal could be "heavy", only if it had double bass pedals and growling and was flying at you at 10 trillion miles per hour plus ten. Heard 'Funeralopolis'. Boom. Earth-shattering. My whole metal world view (which was composed only of alt/thrash/grind metal) took a sledgehammer to the face. Which is weird because I had already been exposed to doom metal before with Sleep and arguably Soundgarden.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:02 am 

I was born in 1980 so the first music I really liked was a lot of 80s one hit wonders I saw videos for on MTV. I still remember when music videos were a REALLY big deal. Like basically, for a while in the early to mid 80s music videos were considered like high technology like the creation of the internet lol.

So, I really liked a whole lot of random bands that were popular in the 80s, I liked Tears For Fears' song "everybody wants to rule the world", I LOVED Michael Jackson and remember getting chills down my spine when I heard the opening guitar riff for "Beat It" and I still acknowledge that early Michael Jackson was some great music. I also really liked Billy Joel, Phil Collins and Genesis, and I actually still can sort of understand why I liked that stuff though I no longer listen to any of it.

My parents played a lot of Beatles and different stuff from the 60s and 70s but not real heavy acid rock or anything so I never got that into what they listened to, but for a long time in like 3rd grade I was obsessed with Genesis and Phil Collins.

Then in 4th grade I got into Vanilla Ice and M.C. Hammer like all the other kids were into back around, I guess like 1989 give or take it must have been.

From there I actually got to really like that weird Sudo-Reggae guy Snow for some reason LOL, but I grew out of that fast, even though I guess I can see why I thought that was catchy.

It wasn't until I was 13 that music actually became a REALLY big thing for me in terms of buying and collecting cds but it wasn't metal at first, it was The Red Hot Chilli Peppers (who are still one of my all time favorite bands to this day).

There was a kid in my class in sixth grade who everyone thought was cool and he never stopped talking about them so I checked them out and they were all I listened to for a while.

Then I got into my whole "funk-rock" phase, and to this day I LOVE funk rock. I evolved from RHCP to bands like 24-7 Spyz who were the first band I noticed had a real "metal" sound to them and believe it or not I discovered them from watching Beavis and butthead haha.

I actually became a metal head mainly because of Beavis and Butthead and came to love SO many bands from the vidoes they played. But for a while I was all about RHCP, 24-7 Spyz, Living Colour, Fishbone, Kings X and the only other bands of that era I liked were Nirvana and Tool.

Shortly after that I got into Soundgarden and The Offspring in 7th grade and a little bit of Rage Against the Machine and Rollins Band.

But the summer before 8th I met this kid who reminded me of beavis so we got into a discussion about beavis and butthead and it turned out he was a metal head and he started introducing me to metal.

The song/band that made me a metal head was Unforgiven by Metallica at age 14. From there I got into Metallica, Megadeth, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Anthrax, Slayer, Pantera, etc etc.

The funny thing is I only had a very brief flirtation with "nu-metal" as I was already into REAL metal by the time it came out. I liked Marilyn Manson and Korn, but that was about it.

I was also a HUGE Faith No More fan and still am and they were my first concert and also got really into Suicidal Tendencies and Infectious Grooves, both of whom I still love.

My tastes started getting really heavy after hearing Mercyful Fate's Time, Massacre's "From Beyond" and Fear Factory's "Soul of A New Machine".

After that I was gone and listening to Deicide, Carcass, Cannibal Corpse, Entombed, Napalm Death, and also getting into some punk like Dead Kennedys and Hendrix and 60s rock as well.

My tastes expanded from there.

299796kms
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:44 am 

I got a stereo when I was 10 or 11 and really liked the oldies station, my parents gave me a Buddy Holly CD that I played to death.

My early teens I was struggling to find my own identity, I liked Aerosmith, grunge, Gn'R, top 40 techno (Fun Factory type stuff). I started getting into Metal when I was 14 with Ministry (Two decades later, I still have my original copy of Psalm 69), Metallica and White Zombie and moved on from there.

ViF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:50 pm 

whatever my sister had in her cd booklet, nirvana, bush, the offspring.. shit like that
you are already gods, without earthly desires. but one thing you want to know is that your own crash-dive is not in vain. regrettably, we will not be able to tell you the results. but i shall watch your efforts to the end and report your deeds to the throne

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:52 pm 

When I was like eleven I listened to crap like Thrice and Yellowcard, but only a few songs. I really didn't understand what an album was or how to discover music at all. A year later I started listening to the typical dad rock stuff, Zeppelin and Hendrix, then all in a year, I heard Iron Maiden on a snowboarding video game, and they introduced me to metal, All it took ws a google search for similar bands and I started listening to more Sabbath and Metallica. One I heard Slayer when I was 13, I went nuts and got into Venom, Celtic Frost, and Dark Angel. By the end of that year, I liked black metal with blast beats and just listened to extreme metal in high school. But in my senior year I started going back and getting all the stuff I missed and listened to tons of desert rock, post rock, folk, some pop from the 70's and 80's and just random weird or indie rock stuff. Wasn't until like last year that I started really hearing how Punk influenced a lot of these newer rock bands, and I went to a few punk shows and got hooked on that a bit, and from there I really started to enjoy Grindcore. That got me back into thrash for a while, and I started playing it more and I'm listening to a lot of speed metal and shredding.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:34 pm 

Well I didn't get into music till 8th grade, first band I like was coheed and cambria. My best friend at the time showed me them and I thought they were pretty cool and around the same time he got me into My Chemical Romance(Yeah laugh it up). Then when I got into high school I met new people and one of my close friends at the time (different person) was really big into alternative music and got me into system of a down, muse, linkin park, Breaking Benjamin, red hot chili peppers. But then my junior year of high school, I was watching a dragon age video of the battle against flemeth and the guy had the song Rain of a thousand flames by Rhapsody of fire, and at the time I thought it was the best I ever heard. So at that point my musical path completely changed, at that point I started getting into all of rhapsody's stuff and then started getting into a bunch of power metal till I found Iron Maiden, which at that point I started listening to all the big British classic metal bands like maiden, priest, and sabbath. Then early my senior year I started hanging out with people who were into metal, one of them got me into megadeth, and a later my girl friend (still with her) asked if I like metallica, and I said I never listen to their music before, and she was surprise I didn't because of the bands I liked and she showed me the song one, and from there I learn that first 5 metallica albums= good and the rest=bad. Sometime later I found Blind Guardian (now which is my all time favorite band) the music just completely blew me away, I even got all my friends and gf into BG. And after highschool during the summer and early of the first term of college I got into Iced Earth and from their and I started getting into other thrash bands besides Megadeth and Metallica. And recently in the past 6 months I got into black and death metal. However most recently I started discovering 80's USPM, most of the power metal I liked before where from Europe. So now lately I been really into power metal bands that have a lot of thrash elements. That's basically my music journey so far.

Nameless_Rites
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:51 am 

When I got my first radio in the mid 90s, the first station I found that I liked played high energy electronic dance music like C+C Music Factory, La Bouche, etc. I thought it sounded futuristic and exciting, like music from a Mega Man X game. I was very young.

Eventually I got into grunge and lighter metal: AIC, Soundgarden, Metallica's black album, some punk like Misfits and Bad Religion. Hearing some other people talk about 80s Metallica, I checked RTL out and from there discovered metal.

I also enjoyed stuff like NIN and Tool, although I always hated rap rock/nu metal. That is something I can proudly lay claim to never having liked.

Frenzied Metalhead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:13 pm 

When I was a kid the sort of music I listened to was whatever my brothers listened to which was usually rap, R&B, punk-pop, Techno and more Techno, I was too young and dumb to form my own taste of music, which is quite embarrassing to admit. When I was 10 I listened to Hip-Hop, Pop and Rave. By the time I was 12, I had only just got into metal, but I only listened to Industrial Metal and Nu-Metal. At 16 I began listening to the metal I listen to now, after completely rejecting nu-metal since it just no longer appealed to me, I wanted those badass melodic Riffs and operatic vocals followed by an epic death roar or the raw, raspy black metal shrieks, and a few folk instruments wouldn't hurt, nor the odd Acoustic soundtrack.
I'm a lionheart"

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:56 pm 

The SHM wrote:
El Wiz

*snigger*

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next