Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:31 am 

Hey guys, I drum for a couple bands, both getting ready to record. Since neither of us are signed to a major label, I have gotten the idea to record my drums on my own, and save that dreaded cost of the studio.

I already purchased some Audix microphones, so that is taken care of. It was rather expensive, but it definitely saves money since I won't have to pay $1000+ each time I want to record.

So all that is left now is to find a good recording interface. Any opinions? My selection isn't very big since I don't have a firewire input on my laptop, only USB (unless I can get my desktop up and running again). I found this Tascam USB interface which is bundled with Cubase on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-US-1800-4- ... 57ZN4EB6UZ

And it seems like a pretty good, straight forward piece of hardware.

Any opinions on what to get? Price isn't too much of an issue.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:08 pm 

Looks good, looks like the Personus firepod but looking at that usb port out... I'm pretty certain that's a firewire output cause that's what it is on line though it says usb. Cause really a firewire is a form of usb.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:59 pm 

I use the presonus audiobox usb, and have used it for about 2 years or so. It's cheap, has two channels, and the drivers are screwy but once you get those sorted (use ASIO4ALL) it works fine. One day I would like to upgrade to something with 4 channels, but this one works fine so I see no need to make any changes for the time being. I think I paid about 160 bucks for it.

blackswordstudio
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:42 pm 

i have a focusrite safire pro 40 and its kicks ass!! 8 mic pre and 8 more with addat! i love it.

http://blackswordstudio.blogspot.se/

https://www.facebook.com/Blackswordstudio

~Guest 277521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:13 am 

I also have the Focuriste Saffire Pro 40 and I'm totally satisfied with it but it's firewire.

The Tascam you linked in the OP seems pretty decent although I've never tried it or heard anything recorded through it before.

Just remember that the room in which you're going to record and your mic placement is also very important. A good mic placement and a good mixing job can still give a pretty decent product even if the recording itself is meh

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:53 am 

Focusrite is the way to go if you're not spending huge amounts of money. The preamps are excellent, especially for the cost. If you get an interface with an ADAT port then you'll be able to slave a preamp unit in - it might work out cheaper to get an interface with less inputs (but with an ADAT port) and then something like a Focusrite Octopre.

ghostxyz3
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:21 pm 

If you're on a budget, check out Focusrite or M-Audio. Although if you want something with lots of inputs, the one you posted isn't a bad choice.

Headless420
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:58 pm 

I just bought a used Firepod for around $200. Decent price for 8 mic pre's.

I don't know anything about that interface, but I'm pretty sure firewire is going to be much faster than USB 2.0.

Reply to topic